Georgia vs. Tennessee Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Georgia vs. Tennessee College Football Picks for Week 11

Georgia Bulldogs vs. Tennessee Volunteers
Saturday, November 13, 2021 at 3:30 p.m. ET at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee

Avoiding Recency Bias

In order to properly assess the quality of Tennessee's defense, it's important to not attach excessive significance to the score of last week's game.

While it is true that Kentucky put up 42 points on the Volunteer defense, Tennessee suffered a significant disadvantage on defense that was a consequence of its offense's firepower.

Against Kentucky, the Volunteer offense had 11 drives. The first nine of them lasted fewer than three minutes, eight of those first nine lasted fewer than two minutes, and five of those first nine ran less than a minute off the clock.

Because of Tennessee's quick scoring -- its ability to score 45 points in 13 minutes and 52 seconds time of possession -- the Volunteer defense had to stay on the field for 46 minutes and eight seconds.

46 minutes is an extremely long time, one that will tire out any defense. Given this circumstance, it is unfair to think too harshly of the Volunteer defense.

Misleading Statistic

Another bad reason why one might underrate Tennessee's defense is the fact that it ranks 82nd nationally in limiting opposing rush yards per game.

Georgia backers will want to seize on this fact in order to support a play on the Bulldogs because Georgia loves to run the ball.

But not so fast. The problem with Tennessee's run defense is not simply stopping the run. Its problem is stopping mobile quarterbacks

Florida, for example, put up 38 points on the Vols largely because Emory Jones ran for 144 yards -- by far a season high for him -- against them.

Like Jones, Ole Miss' Matt Corral loves to run and, also like Jones, he benefits from playing for a brilliant offensive mind that understands how to use deception in order to maximize the quarterback's running ability.

The Rebels, like Florida, covered the spread against Tennessee largely because of Corral's season-high 195 rushing yards.

Regarding the quality of Tennessee's rush defense, the story appears completely different when we look at running backs.

Ole Miss, for example, has a great running back in Jerrion Ealy, who is averaging 6.1 YPC this season. However, he mustered 19 yards on seven carries against the Vols. He never got going.

Similarly, Pittsburgh running back Israel Abanikanda is averaging 5.3 YPC this season, but produced a meager 3.6 YPC when facing the Volunteers.

This distinction -- between quarterback and running back success on the ground against Tennessee -- is crucial to note because Georgia lacks a Jones or Corral.

Spencer Bennett is good for the occasional 10-yard scamper. But he is not a threat on the ground. Georgia's other quarterback, JT Daniels, has -15 rushing yards this season.

Thus, despite being a run-heavy team -- the Bulldogs own the nation's 16th-highest run-play percentage -- Georgia lacks the offensive tools to damage the Volunteer run defense.

Georgia's Overrated Defense

Just to be clear, I am not saying that Georgia's defense is bad or anything like that. I am only offering resistance to the barrage of praise and hype incessantly emanating from sundry media organs.

Keep in mind that oddsmakers are asking Georgia to blow out Tennessee. Without scoring too easily via its run-heavy offense, the Bulldogs will need to really shut down Tennessee's offense.

While Georgia is famous for its run defense, Tennessee's offense presents a challenge because it is strong both on the ground and through the air.

The Bulldogs have great pass defense numbers, but they haven't proven that their pass defense is strong. In fact, countless instances of video footage plus consideration of opponents faced yield serious doubts about the abilities of Georgia's pass defense.

Consider that Auburn has the highest-ranked passing offense -- 45th in pass yards per game -- that the Bulldogs have faced this year.

Bo Nix rarely and barely eclipses 200 yards passing. He does not even like to throw downfield. Instead, he will complete easy horizontal throws in order to get teammates in space.

While he is a seminal part of the Auburn offense, his primary talents are as an improviser and playmaker.

Nix, who is hardly completing over 60 percent of his passes this season, is not a serious passing threat.

Despite facing lower-quality passers, Georgia has had many worrisome phases such as its several pass interference penalties against Clemson and its concession of four completed passes over 35 yards against South Carolina.

For Tennessee, Hendon Hooker is a legitimate threat. He is completing 69.4-percent of his pass attempts, is accomplishing 10.2 YPA, and has thrown 21 touchdowns to two interceptions.

Hooker has proven himself by accomplishing strong passing stats against highly-ranked pass defenses which were more able to limit big-name quarterbacks.

With several guys to throw to who are repeatedly capable of making big plays, Hooker will help give the Bulldog defense a unique challenge.

The Verdict

Tennessee has serious match-up benefits in this game, facing a Bulldog offense that lacks a mobile quarterback and confronting a Georgia defense that remains untested and doubtful against the pass.

Best Bet: Volunteers +20.5 at -108 with Heritage

I haven't watched UGA enough to know if it's still an issue, but while the DC at Alabama, Kirby really struggled with hurry-up offenses. He and Saban both prefer to switch personnel based on down and distance, and getting players on and off the field was an issue at Alabama. Maybe he's fixed it, or Lanning is really good at it or scheming against it. Just something to think about when Tenn goes fast

was dawgs defense as good as this year tho? i have a small hunch you may be a vols fan, lol.. i am super excited to see uga defense vs a really good offense tho!!
I can’t say they have ever had a defense like this but I can tell you that Georgia is always up for a loss they shouldn’t get almost every year. Kirby sounded concerned about the Vols offense and it’s speed. Not sure the Vols can stop Georgia but hoping it’s close going into the fourth quarter.

I can’t say they have ever had a defense like this but I can tell you that Georgia is always up for a loss they shouldn’t get almost every year. Kirby sounded concerned about the Vols offense and it’s speed. Not sure the Vols can stop Georgia but hoping it’s close going into the fourth quarter.

he has to sound concerned, he cant be out there saying it gonna be easy! it in coaches nature to be concerned and he looks like a worrier.. I really think this uga team is different than past versions, im of the belief this defense might be historically good but we really dont know yet. this game will be a step up but im not sure it a massive step over the likes of hogs offense and a few others they have shut down. I think vols might present different challenges but not sure if vastly greater than the sec teams they have seen and destroyed thus far? id be shocked if vols were able to score more than 20 but i been wrong before.. 20 could certainly be enough to cover but that bout all im willing to concede till i see it. what is vols team total? gotta be round 18 right? man if i can get 17.5 or more im gonna be thinking long and hard about the team total under, no disrespect to Vols but that been one my fav plays all year and ive played under lower numbers with offenses i thought were about as capable..all that said i been a fan of hooker since he was at vtech and have bet vols or over several times lately, just cant do it here.

That’s a lotta points

heard that several times this year, until uk put together that plan to try and cover it mostly hasnt been enough. If you made me play it id prob take the points but as in all the other times i rather pass or play team total under.

i dont much listen to the media but i been saying i think this uga defense could be on the level of the lsu and bama offenses of the last few years. i agree they havnt played a who's who of dynamic passing attacks but they have played some decent offenses. teams that have managed to put up similar scores as vols against common sec opponents. i like vols and hooker a lot so not like im trying to discredit them, i just think uga defense could be that good. at least to hold them below their team total! im fine with vols covering in a 31-14 game!!

heard that several times this year, until uk put together that plan to try and cover it mostly hasnt been enough. If you made me play it id prob take the points but as in all the other times i rather pass or play team total under.
Yea, this is a huge game for Kirby. UGA has had hiccups under him before. Yea he’s gotta a good D, but if they gotta play from behind or have trouble with the Tenn tempo I can see em losing and it’s not out of the realm I think.

Yea, this is a huge game for Kirby. UGA has had hiccups under him before. Yea he’s gotta a good D, but if they gotta play from behind or have trouble with the Tenn tempo I can see em losing and it’s not out of the realm I think.

Nothing shocking this year but I don’t see it. That tempo isn’t worth a shit if ya can’t pick up 1st downs and get it rolling. We shall see. I think this their year tho, if they blow it won’t be till the playoffs. Lol

It be way more dramatic and devastating for dawgs if they roll all way to playoffs then shit the bed!! Lol

Purely my opinion, but 2019 LSU and 2020 Alabama (2019 Ala too) run 2021 UGA off the field

Maybe. It tough for even a historically great defense in this day and age to beat a historically great offense. Only time will tell but even if they seal the deal we will never know!!

I think both these teams could be a bit overrated. With that said; as an old school defensive guy I tend to enjoy fading some of these spread sexy teams shotgun offenses when they play a great defensive team. And I think we might of seen it before with huepel where his sexy spread turns into a mickey mouse offense when facing an elite d.....his scheme is actually really good but I could see a possibility where Georgia dominates this game and vols offense does absolutely nothing. eliminate the run game of vols and stop the explosive plays and I don't think they have anything. Bama stopped the run game which is foremost and if they take away a few big pass plays I think they come out looking great. Kentucky usually does the above but they seem real beat up on defense right now - tenny maybe benefiting from some weaker teams. But they are very impressive no doubt. Just think a great D will take that away unless the o is elite and I don't buy tenny is there yet. Florida offense last year I still think routes this years georgia d. This year's tenny o ? I think the question is can they manage to get to 17-20 points which gives them a shot to cover. Wouldn't be surprised at a georgia 38-10 type score.

I think it's more likely UGA dominates than Tenn wins outright. Tenn will need some turnovers, and if they can get a lead, it could force UGA to play a style of offense they don't like. It's what Alabama and Florida did to them last year. I believe UGA will struggle in a game where they have to score on offense to keep pace. I am skeptical that there is a team out there that can do that though

Looked a little more at the UT run D and mobile QB thing. That is true in some cases, but not every time.

Vs UK Rodriguez and Smoke ran for 152 (4.9/4.8) of the total 225 rush yards allowed, Levis only had 15att for 47y (3.1)
Vs Bama Robinson had 107 (4.1) and two other RBs combined for 48y (4.3) of the total 203 rush yards allowed, Young only had 10att for 42y (4.2).

So in the last two games Tennessee played, I don't think the theme of "it's the mobile QBs why their run D numbers are so bad" applies much.

Looked a little more at the UT run D and mobile QB thing. That is true in some cases, but not every time.

Vs UK Rodriguez and Smoke ran for 152 (4.9/4.8) of the total 225 rush yards allowed, Levis only had 15att for 47y (3.1)
Vs Bama Robinson had 107 (4.1) and two other RBs combined for 48y (4.3) of the total 203 rush yards allowed, Young only had 10att for 42y (4.2).

So in the last two games Tennessee played, I don't think the theme of "it's the mobile QBs why their run D numbers are so bad" applies much.
I also talked about the defense having to account for the threat of a mobile QB so simple recitation of rb stats does not refute my point

I think it's more likely UGA dominates than Tenn wins outright. Tenn will need some turnovers, and if they can get a lead, it could force UGA to play a style of offense they don't like. It's what Alabama and Florida did to them last year. I believe UGA will struggle in a game where they have to score on offense to keep pace. I am skeptical that there is a team out there that can do that though

it gotta be way more likely uga boat races them than vols win outright. feel like dawgs defense is kinda being undersold by lot of comments in this thread, I think they all time special, maybe im wrong but i dont think vols are necessarily a way better offense than the ones they been destroying, different maybe but not unquestionably better imo.. Vols are 126th in the nation in sack rate against, that really bad news here! Vols 20th in the nation in amount of rushes a game and percentage of rushing plays, again i think that a problem, dont see them running on uga. Then on the other side Vols defense is allowing teams to convert 51% of their 3rd downs which is 126th in the country, dawgs are gonna maul them i think.

Vols could certainly cover, im not saying they wont. My question is when did we start looking at Vols as better than arky, aub, uk, or even gators before they fell apart? uga destroyed all those teams and i just dont see what makes Vols a significantly tougher opponent than those teams? id argue aub is better, arky might be, uk and vols obviously very close after seeing them just play a very competitive game. Are we bolstering Vols up here just cause we want to see uga go down? kinda feels that way to me. Not so much talking bout the spread as much as the guys wanting to give Vols this great shot to win, i dont see it.

Georgia certainly has a better shot at blowing the doors off of the Vols than the Vols have of winning straight up. Doesn’t mean TN hasn’t improved throughout the season and anything is possible. If and I stress if TN gets out to a quick start we get to see how Georgia responds for the first time all year. TN has nothing to lose. They should be going Into this doing any and everything they can to put up scores. Depth and injuries are what concerns me the most against Georgia. Heupel drawing up the plays he has have been wonderful to watch. As a fan I’m excited to see where TN is against the best defense in the country.

Georgia certainly has a better shot at blowing the doors off of the Vols than the Vols have of winning straight up. Doesn’t mean TN hasn’t improved throughout the season and anything is possible. If and I stress if TN gets out to a quick start we get to see how Georgia responds for the first time all year. TN has nothing to lose. They should be going Into this doing any and everything they can to put up scores. Depth and injuries are what concerns me the most against Georgia. Heupel drawing up the plays he has have been wonderful to watch. As a fan I’m excited to see where TN is against the best defense in the country.

dont take what im saying wrong, i like the Vols, ive always liked Hooker, i said from beginning it was crazy they were starting Melton. I think they def found the right man for the job to coach the team, they seem to be on a really fast upward trajectory. Everything im saying is far more about how good i think uga is not a knock of the Vols. It would be interesting if a team jumps out to a couple score lead on the dawgs but im not sure anyone ever will? that defense comes out jacked the fuck up every week ive seen them, i dont expect Vols will be able to get the hurry up moving early on, maybe later after they down but if they have success early i would be really surprised and impressed..

Vols could certainly cover, im not saying they wont. My question is when did we start looking at Vols as better than arky, aub, uk, or even gators before they fell apart? uga destroyed all those teams and i just dont see what makes Vols a significantly tougher opponent than those teams? id argue aub is better, arky might be, uk and vols obviously very close after seeing them just play a very competitive game. Are we bolstering Vols up here just cause we want to see uga go down? kinda feels that way to me. Not so much talking bout the spread as much as the guys wanting to give Vols this great shot to win, i dont see it.
Tennessee definitely has a better offense than those teams. Probably by a lot. The "weakness" of the UGA defense is the secondary, and they haven't played a team capable of testing it. Tenn looks to be the only one they'll face in the regular season. I don't think Tenn will win, I do lean on them to cover. It will be interesting to see UGA without Anderson, because I think the pace at which Tenn plays will limit the effectiveness of Jordan Davis. Not sure they can afford to keep him on the field if Tenn is able to reel off 5, 6, 7 straight plays

Neyland will be rocking. I’m calling the upset. TN has beaten Georgia before with less offensive talent than they have right now.
You better believe that place will be rocking. If it's a close game that will be a big factor. Although I'm not a big fan of either team, I can respect them both. Would love to be in the stands for this one if for nothing else but the atmosphere.

You better believe that place will be rocking. If it's a close game that will be a big factor. Although I'm not a big fan of either team, I can respect them both. Would love to be in the stands for this one if for nothing else but the atmosphere.

it be dead silent before halftime, just saying. lol

Look good, feel good, play good. Like I said, I think their D is good, but I'm not ready to crown it the best ever. Played no great offenses. Especially with Anderson out now.

Sometimes ya gotta project, if we waited till anything was certain we wouldn’t make any money! Lol.

Trying to make you some big money on that Vols ML tomorrow ha ha

im trying to save ya'll some money talking ya off it!! lol.. in all honesty i wont have a very big bet on this game one way or the other, still really hard for me not to play vols team total under cause i been playing them in lot of uga games with much lower numbers than this and they been good to me. that might make my card but wont be a big play if it does.. Not real sure yet, im way behind on college fb this week cause of NBA props and trying to get ready to dive all the way into ncaa hoops!! Im spending the rest the day working on this card, we see what i come up with :)

im trying to save ya'll some money talking ya off it!! lol.. in all honesty i wont have a very big bet on this game one way or the other, still really hard for me not to play vols team total under cause i been playing them in lot of uga games with much lower numbers than this and they been good to me. that might make my card but wont be a big play if it does.. Not real sure yet, im way behind on college fb this week cause of NBA props and trying to get ready to dive all the way into ncaa hoops!! Im spending the rest the day working on this card, we see what i come up with :)
Why can't you just let me hope on this one, Bank? I get up for the let down like no other Vols fan. Can't wait to be at the bar with my hopes all the way up (with 70 others of us) and just get blown out. I'm ready to be hurt.

I’m ready to be hurt again as well. Life of a Vols fan. Glad to have Heupel now and think he is the guy to get us back to being a contender in the East in the years to come. Here’s to hoping for a 17-0 start for the Vols tomorrow and Neyland being deafening.

Why can't you just let me hope on this one, Bank? I get up for the let down like no other Vols fan. Can't wait to be at the bar with my hopes all the way up (with 70 others of us) and just get blown out. I'm ready to be hurt.

fair enough, my bad. i dont really relate very well to the common man when it comes to fandom, lmao. (not that you common!)..It just never really been something i understand very well, baseball cardinals and blues the only 2 teams i care bout at all and while i like for them to be good it more so cause the city is more fun when they are competing for championships, its cool when they win but only when im betting on them, not against them as i often do!! lol.. I guess im just weird, tough for me to care all that much about a bunch of ppl who i dont know or care bout any more than they do me! i save my loyalty for ppl close to me in my life, lol..

what really strange about it is ive shelled out a ton of money to see cardinals play in big playoff and WS games, and i love going and rooting for them in that moment, i love the excuse to party when they win, but deep down i really dont care, lol. i much rather have a angle against one of them and win myself some money when they lose than for them to win!! of course it even better when i have a angle to bet on them and they win but end of day i only care bout me winning!!

fair enough, my bad. i dont really relate very well to the common man when it comes to fandom, lmao. (not that you common!)..It just never really been something i understand very well, baseball cardinals and blues the only 2 teams i care bout at all and while i like for them to be good it more so cause the city is more fun when they are competing for championships, its cool when they win but only when im betting on them, not against them as i often do!! lol.. I guess im just weird, tough for me to care all that much about a bunch of ppl who i dont know or care bout any more than they do me! i save my loyalty for ppl close to me in my life, lol..

what really strange about it is ive shelled out a ton of money to see cardinals play in big playoff and WS games, and i love going and rooting for them in that moment, i love the excuse to party when they win, but deep down i really dont care, lol. i much rather have a angle against one of them and win myself some money when they lose than for them to win!! of course it even better when i have a angle to bet on them and they win but end of day i only care bout me winning!!
In some ways, I envy you. Cubs, all Vols sports, Titans, Grizz. All taken a toll lol

Back