Georgia Tech vs NC State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
How About Some Parlay Action For Thursday Night College Football?

NC State vs Georgia Tech
Thursday, November 21, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field

Odds

Oddsmakers opened Georgia Tech as one-point favorites.

Georgia Tech is alternating between covers and non-covers.

Conversely, oddsmakers are struggling to account for how bad the Wolfpack are. They’ve failed to cover their last four games and are currently suffering a 1-7 ATS run.

NC State’s Offensive Woes

In five of its six ACC games, NC State has scored fewer than 20 points. In the one exception, the Wolfpack scored a garbage-time touchdown to reach 24 points in a 21-point loss to Boston College.

Part of NC State’s problem is at quarterback, where Ryan Finley’s departure for the NFL left a void that it cannot fill.

The Wolfpack have tried out multiple different quarterbacks. They’re currently on their third, Devin Leary. Leary’s insufficient ability is evident in his sub-50 percent completion rate. He’s so inefficient even though he’s averaging only 5.6 YPA.

Film study reveals the slowness with which Leary makes decisions. Timing is crucial for a quarterback because it often makes the difference whether he can hit an open wide receiver or whether the defensive back can recover in time to make a play.

Leary also shows frequent inaccuracy and poor decision-making by failing to identify opposing coverage schemes and throwing it in places where his receiver can’t make a play perhaps because multiple defensive backs are in the area.

In these ways, Leary contributes to his team’s lack of scoring. NC State is failing to score much despite having faced the worst ACC defenses, Two of its opponents faced, Boston College and Louisville, rank bottom-two in the ACC in points allowed per game.

But Leary can’t carry sole responsibility. He gets little support from a run-game that is marred by poor run-blocking. Metrics like opportunity rate attest to NC State’s offensive line being one of the worst at helping open holes for its ball-carriers.

NC State relies, again, on a freshman at running back. Zonovan Knight has had bright spots despite bad run-blocking. But he hardly gets the opportunity to run the ball because NC State spends so much time behind.

In four of his six ACC games, still, he’s averaged 4.1 YPC or fewer, while in the two exceptions one big but ultimately fruitless run saved his YPC average.

Pass protection has also been an issue as a result of many pieces within the offensive line having trouble staying healthy. This deficiency hurts especially a freshman like Leary who is still processing things slowly.

Can Georgia Tech Score Enough?

To be sure, Georgia Tech’s offense is not Clemson’s. While NC State’s defense has allowed over 30 points in each of its last four games, it’s faced some of the most productive offenses in the conference.

Still, given the Wolfpack’s constant inability to score, Georgia Tech will only need about 20 points to win and cover.

Offensively, the Jackets have shown bright spots as they gradually adjust to a new offensive scheme. Two of their past four games have been positive: they’ve scored 28 points on October 19 in Miami and 28 points on November 9 in Virginia.

The two off games came against powerful Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh defenses that are in another league than the Wolfpack’s defense.

Georgia Tech loves to run the ball — it does so with the nation’s 32nd-highest frequency. Teams have lately been running more frequently against an NC State front seven that has seen six different linebackers get injured.

The Jackets are also respectable run-blockers as they rank 47th in opportunity rate. Jordan Mason is the team’s leading rusher. Against Virginia, he managed 4.9 YPC and in the team’s win against Miami he ran for 141 yards on 20 carries. In ACC play, Mason has three 100-yard rushing games.

Injury-wise, NC State has actually suffered the most in its secondary where three different cornerbacks suffered season-ending injuries and where it’s having former backup players at a given position switch positions.

Quarterback James Graham already exploited a depleted Virginia secondary when he threw for 229 yards on 15-for-22 passing. Despite not having his best receiver, the injured Jalen Camp, Graham has enjoyed some bright spots.

Conclusion

While NC State has been relentlessly bad on both sides of the ball, Georgia Tech is scoring against weaker defenses and is holding lesser offenses like Pitt’s to lower point totals.

The Jackets have fewer and less impactful injuries and have shown significant grounds for optimism — like against one of the conference’s top teams in Virginia and in Miami — while the Wolfpack are bankrupting their ATS backers.

Best Bet: Parlay: Yellow Jackets ML (-120) and Under 48.5 (per oddsshark?) at 5Dimes

Was asked to do a parlay. I saw 48.5 on oddsshark but have no idea where it is. I wouldn't expect Tech ML to become too chalky. People may just automatically fade a favored Tech and bet Tech into the dog role. I for one was surprised to see the spread until I looked into it.

I think I am taking GT.

These teams haven't played in 5 years and NC St hasn't played at GT since 2010! Thank you super conferences.

NC State has not gained a single turnover in ACC play and lost 14! GT has lost 12 turnovers in ACC play.

From -2.5 to +2.5. Good...I really wasn't liking the fact of laying pts with them. My only angle is another home game after that last game which was their worst loss of the year. The VT loss I think is worse than losing to citadel because they had been showing signs of life recently and they got humiliated.

Pride bounce back game. Effort should be strong for GT. Whether that alone is enough..,maybe we'll get a full 3.

Where is @Johnnyonthespot?

What isthe pride angle based upon? In no way defending the Pack just feel motivation decides this one. Two teams with not much to be excited about. Does NC ST have bowl dreams? Just curious. Any reasoning for the big line swing?

I like to bet on teams who severely underperform the prior week. Especially if it is off a bye prior to the lost game or on back-to-back home games.

Two times I did it off the top of my head this year were Stanford vs Arizona (had lost off a bye badly to UCLA and were at home again playing Zona). I also liked this angle last week for Oregon State vs Arizona State (had lost badly on national TV to Washington and were at home again for the final time this year).

It is pride in yourself and your preparation assignment and execution to atone for a bad performance.

Now, GT is not a very good football team. So their want-to might only take them so far if their roster is limited in ability to make that happen.

Interesting similarities for these two teams...copied and pasted from AJC:

2. Thin numbers on both sides

N.C. State and Tech have both been beat up by injuries. The Wolfpack have lost seven scholarship players to season-ending injuries. The Jackets have lost seven scholarship players with season-ending injuries – defensive end Chico Bennett, wide receiver Jalen Camp, center Kenny Cooper, defensive back Ajani Kerr, two-way lineman Jahaziel Lee, defensive end Antwan Owens and linebacker Bruce Jordan-Swilling – and also had two players who were medically disqualified – defensive lineman Brad Morgan and wide receiver Tija’i Whatley.

The Wolfpack have had 45 different players start this season, third most in FBS, and one fewer than Tech at 44. With a small senior class to begin with, freshmen and sophomores have regularly logged more than 70 percent of the team’s snaps.

N.C. State has played 33 freshmen, tied for third most in the country. Tech has played 31, tied for fifth most.

Thanks for sharIng your thought process. Makes sense and is opposite the reason myself Joe Public moved the line. My guess is we the people see GT as having given up last week. However, with any sense of pride they should stand up tonight against an equally horrible foe. May wait until halftime.

From a motivational standpoint, I think NCST had thoughts of being good this year, whereas GT knew this was a huge transition season from the PJ era.

Back