Georgia RB Gurley suspended...Jameis Next?

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100914aad.html

University of Georgia tailback Todd Gurley has been indefinitely suspended from competition by the UGA Athletic Association during an ongoing investigation into an alleged violation of NCAA rules.

"I'm obviously very disappointed," said UGA head football coach Mark Richt. "The important thing for our team is to turn all our attention toward preparation for Missouri."

Last edited by a moderator:
the M Hotel opened it back up 2.5, that's nuts. That guy is worth more than a half-point to the line, I could give a shit less about UGA's depth at RB, that guy is an animal.

After the way things have transpired the last 5 years in college football, what benefit is it to suspend him during the investigation?

this to me is Manziel-esque. $400 he received for 80 autographs? Is that true? He can't even buy a PS4 with that.

Sit him the first half, and let him play after that. Precedent has been established. do'h NCAA

Maybe he wanted to get caught. What's he gonna give up...a heisman trophy? His draft stock couldn't be any higher right now. Maybe he's done playing for free and doesnt want to risk any injury.

Typical NCAA horseshit. Rake in billions but make sure that the real talent doesnt see a dime or else

Maybe he wanted to get caught. What's he gonna give up...a heisman trophy? His draft stock couldn't be any higher right now. Maybe he's done playing for free and doesnt want to risk any injury.

First thing I thought too....there is no way a NFL team would drop his stock for this.....savvy if true.

Same dude that turned in Gurley is the guy who says he has info on TJ Yeldon, Amari Cooper, Jameis Winston, and Nick Marshall, among others. Hope he keeps his mouth shut

This is gonna change college football forever in all likelihood

No way they just suspend every superstar in the SEC and carry on without anything happening

People are so shitty. It really is the adults that have ruined this game and by becoming so greedy, have turned the kids just as greedy in the process. I'm referring to the NCAA partially but I'm also referring to the general fan. When I was a kid the players gladly signed autographs for the kids and gave us their wristbands and gloves after the game while our fathers and mothers stood behind and snapped a picture. The kids idolized the monsters on the gridiron and especially in the rural south it was somewhat of a tangible dream to step foot on those campuses and walk in their footsteps. They came from our hometowns and we loved them. Somewhere along the way the idolization of these guys changed from children to adults. Look at the Bama fan day video where adults are racing and fighting trying to get to Saban and the boys for autographs first. This certainly isn't limited to Bama but it's the place that had the video posted to YouTube. Everyone is trying to make a buck off of these guys now and they even receive death threats when they perform poorly on the field. You can blame the players, you can blame the media and you can blame the NCAA...but the fact of the matter is a lot of grown alumni who need to take a look in the mirror as well

The judge had the opportunity to change the rule in the Ed O'Bannon case, but didn't. So who knows?

People are so shitty. It really is the adults that have ruined this game and by becoming so greedy, have turned the kids just as greedy in the process. I'm referring to the NCAA partially but I'm also referring to the general fan. When I was a kid the players gladly signed autographs for the kids and gave us their wristbands and gloves after the game while our fathers and mothers stood behind and snapped a picture. The kids idolized the monsters on the gridiron and especially in the rural south it was somewhat of a tangible dream to step foot on those campuses and walk in their footsteps. They came from our hometowns and we loved them. Somewhere along the way the idolization of these guys changed from children to adults. Look at the Bama fan day video where adults are racing and fighting trying to get to Saban and the boys for autographs first. This certainly isn't limited to Bama but it's the place that had the video posted to YouTube. Everyone is trying to make a buck off of these guys now and they even receive death threats when they perform poorly on the field. You can blame the players, you can blame the media and you can blame the NCAA...but the fact of the matter is a lot of grown alumni who need to take a look in the mirror as well

ESPN

Brutal. The kid was the best player ive ever seen at my school. I never saw herschel play. Stupid decision. Not sure if he even needed the money, albeit it wasnt much (allegedly).

The guy who snitched is obviously worthless scum. But that's not surprising..

Social media has played one of the biggest roles if not the "game changer". It's the only reason UNC is in the mess they are in. It gobbled a couple of game suspensions for other players out of Bama and USCe. Maybe another school or two of which I've forgotten.

Bo Jackson laid into just about all the factors at play today or Mark Packer's show on XM. They finally had to change the subject to "how ya liking the Kansas City Royals in the playoffs, Bo?". Lol.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...tate-seminoles-look-jameis-winston-autographs
Even as Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher says he believes quarterback Jameis Winston didn't sign autographs for money, a source tells ESPN that the university's athletic compliance department has begun to look into how so many Winston autographs were authenticated by a single company.

ESPN has learned that after the team's 38-20 win against Syracuse Saturday, Fisher approached Winston and asked him if he signed autographs for money. Winston told Fisher, according to the source, that he did not.

Fisher then told reporters he wasn't concerned that an autograph authentication business, which recently was linked to suspended Georgia running back Todd Gurley, also was linked to Winston.

James Spence Authentication certified more than 500 autographs of Gurley, who is being investigated for allegedly taking money for signings.
A cursory search on JSA's website found more than 340 certified Winston autographs.

FSU has not been contacted on the matter by the ACC or the NCAA, but the university's compliance department has begun to specifically look into how JSA received such a large number of signatures.

The company's owner, James Spence, who could not be immediately reached for this story, previously said that a single person, most likely a dealer, submitted hundreds of items signed by Gurley to Spence's company for authentication.

Fisher had a different take this weekend.

"Kids sign things all the time," Fisher said after Saturday's game. "So, what do you want them to do, stop signing stuff? We could make them not have any fans from that standpoint and not sign for anybody. That's what it's going to come to, and that's a shame for college football, that somebody exploits a kid. Now, if they're getting paid for it, then I don't have any knowledge of that. I don't believe Jameis did."

Despite Fisher's theory that the items could have come from many different fans, it's doubtful they came from more than a few people.

Authenticators certify an autograph by attaching a serial number to an item. That serial number then links back to the authenticator's website where the owner of that signature or a perspective buyer can look up it up.

JSA authenticates items as it receives them, and attaches the serial numbers in sequential order. JSA authenticated 76 of the exact same Florida State logo footballs in order with serial numbers J65886 through J65962 and 70 of the exact same signed mini helmets in order with serial numbers J66829 through J66896. The company also authenticated 53 jerseys in row (J66947 through J67001), 38 11-by-14 photos (J66026 through J66064), 18 of the exact same footballs (J66919 through J66936) and 11 signed Rawlings baseballs (J66898 through J66911).

"The items that I've seen signed by Todd Gurley and Jameis Winston, which have been authenticated by JSA, look like they came from an autograph signing," said Martin Buckley, co-owner of Palm Beach Autographs in Florida, which has done signings with Heisman Trophy winners Tim Tebow, Herschel Walker and Charlie Ward, among others. "This is based on the items, themselves, being similar, the quantities of those items, the consistency of signature as well as similar spots in which they signed."

Winston already faces an upcoming disciplinary hearing to determine whether he violated the school's conduct code in an alleged sexual assault in December 2012. Fisher said on Monday that Winston, who sat out the Clemson game for yelling an obscene phrase in the student union, won't miss any games in the meantime.

"The facts are the facts," Fisher said. "There is no victim because there was no crime."

Doesn't look good for him

In the absence of
a. Someone claiming to have paid him
b. Evidence of payment for services rendered

ummm what exactly are we talking about? Lol

I will put the caveat, that if there is someone that comes forward with proof, then we got something. Until then? Imma sip this tea

I will put the caveat, that if there is someone that comes forward with proof, then we got something. Until then? Imma sip this tea

Well the guy came forward on Gurley with "proof" to get him suspended. If he talks on one player what's stopping him from talking about others?

Our Athletics Department compliance staff is reviewing issues raised by the media related to autographed items attributed to Jameis Winston. At this time we have no information indicating that he accepted payment for items reported to bear his signature, thereby compromising his athletics eligibility. The fact that items appear on an Internet site bearing the signature of a student-athlete does not singularly determine a violation of NCAA rules.
We have kept both the conference office and the NCAA apprised of our efforts on this matter. The University takes very seriously any and all allegations of potential rules violations and processes them in accordance with ACC and NCAA policies and procedures.

- FSU AD Stan Wilcox

Gurley deserves to be suspended for many games. This isn't the case of a dumb unknown rule like trading a trinket for a tattoo or something ... this is a guy knowingly and purposefully breaking a rule. What an asshole. So he is the guy who uses the NCAA, his university and teammates ( He doesn't sniff the first round of the draft behind a bad offensive line ) to secure himself a shit ton of money and then has the balls to shove it up all their asses by knowingly cheating for a few bucks. Can't believe you all want to give him a free pass for doing something he knows is wrong and thereby screws all the people who provided him his huge opportunity at wealth.

Gurley deserves to be suspended for many games. This isn't the case of a dumb unknown rule like trading a trinket for a tattoo or something ... this is a guy knowingly and purposefully breaking a rule. What an asshole. So he is the guy who uses the NCAA, his university and teammates ( He doesn't sniff the first round of the draft behind a bad offensive line ) to secure himself a shit ton of money and then has the balls to shove it up all their asses by knowingly cheating for a few bucks. Can't believe you all want to give him a free pass for doing something he knows is wrong and thereby screws all the people who provided him his huge opportunity at wealth.

that's hilarious.

Like a father speaking to his 10 year old son, which seems to be Jameis's maturity level.

<iframe width="620" height="340" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W209LGOmZ5I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Back