GEICO 500 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
GEICO 500 Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: GEICO 500
Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 2 p.m. ET (FOX) at Talladega Superspeedway in Lincoln, Alabama

Race Info

NASCAR’s Cup Series resumes on Sunday with the GEICO 500, which will take place at the famous Talladega Superspeedway.

In total, this event will require drivers to complete 188 laps.

There are three stages for this race.

Stage 1 will be complete after the first 60 laps. Stage 2 likewise requires 60 laps. Stage 3 consists in the remaining number of laps.

Just like in previous weeks, an entry list for the race has already been posted. So barring any unforeseen changes, we already know who will participate in the race.

Moreover, an official starting lineup gets released Wednesday morning. There is no qualifying for this event, just like there is no practice.

But, because NASCAR is using a formula to determine the starting lineup, we already had an idea of which drivers would be positioned to start the race among the top 10.

Track Info

Talladega Superspeedway is commonly known as “Dega” and is said to contain a curse.

In completing 188 laps, drivers will have completed 500.08 miles.

This is a large track where each lap is 2.66-miles long.

Talladega Superspeedway is known — justifiably — for witnessing high speeds and many crashes.

To understand why Talladega Superspeedway is a notoriously dangerous track, we need to understand why it encourages such great speeds.

The straightaways are very long, meaning that drivers go for a longer time without having to turn their cars.

When they turn their cars, the turns are supported by an extremely high amount of banking.

Turns 1 and 2 are banked at 33 degrees, turn 3 is banked at 32.4 degrees, and turn 4 is banked at 32.5 degrees.

Banking facilitates greater speeds by creating more momentum for drivers to collect.

Given the higher speeds, driver ability becomes more important.

Good driving is needed to maximize positive use of the air and to handle the relatively dangerous conditions.

Drivers To Avoid

One driver to avoid — and possibly to fade in match-up betting — is Kyle Busch.

Busch has yet to accomplish consecutive top-10 finishes since the first two races of the season back in February.

His history at Talladega does not offer any indication that he will perform well in any sense of the word.

In his last seven tries at this track, his best finish was 10th. He finished outside the top 20 four times.

Kevin Harvick is another driver to avoid investing in. His performances this season have not come close to mirroring last year’s in terms of quality.

In his last four races, for example, he finished ninth or worst.

Like Busch, his history at Talladega offers negligible promise for him.

In his last five races at this track, he finished 10th or worst. He finished outside the top 20 in three of those five races.

So like Busch, there is a relatively high potential for him to suffer a disastrous outcome.

Also be sure to stay away from Martin Truex Jr. He has yet to finish top-20 at this track in his last nine tries.

Like Busch and Harvick, Truex Jr. repeatedly suffers awful finishing positions at Talladega even when he benefits from a strong starting position.

My Guys

Because of the relatively high number of crashes that take place at this track, there is a greater possibility for luck or for bad luck to derail an otherwise promising driver’s chances by involving him in an accident.

Also because the potential payouts are so attractive, we want to invest in multiple drivers to win.

One guy who I like is Joey Logano. He has had recent success at Talladega, finishing fourth in 2019.

HIs recent history this season is also positive, showing his good form. He has accomplished three consecutive top-six finishes.

I also recommend investing in Denny Hamlin. This season, he is really nearing victory as he’s reeled off six consecutive top-four finishes.

Hamlin’s average finishing position at Talladega is similarly strong as Logano’s. He also has three straight top-four finishes at Talladega.

Best Bet: Hamlin +650 & Logano +900 at Bovada

Those 2 are definitely the safest plays this week. This us a highly volatile race. Best to tread lightly especially if you routinely bet multiple h2h options. The crash rate on this race is extreme.

Truex has an amazing 13 dnfs in 32 starts here. Even worse, he's finished the last 5 races and still hasn't mustered a top 20.

Blaney has 2 wins in his last 6 starts at Talladega. Chase Elliott has a decent record as well.

Almirola and Stenhouse who are usually 35 to 40-1 most weeks, have both had success here and odds are roughly half of what they are most weeks.

My h2h play is Stenhouse -115 over Bubba. Bubbas best finish is 14th in 6 starts with 2 dnfs. Stenhouse has 1 win, 6 top 5s, and 9 top 10s in 15 starts with 3 dnfs. Quite simply if Stenhouse finishes the race, he should beat Bubba. But it's still risky, given Stenhouse's propensity to crash.

This week, I would look to play any of the mid-pack guys like Dibenedetto, Preece, Buecher, Newman, and McDowell against any of the bigger names as long as they are at plus money.

I took Ty Dillon +1233 for fun today. It is raining there so it may be Monday before they race.

For tomorrow, I will probably split my bets to win between Buescher and Preece. Both are long shots at +5000 and +4500.

I took Ty Dillon +1233 for fun today. It is raining there so it may be Monday before they race.

For tomorrow, I will probably split my bets to win between Buescher and Preece. Both are long shots at +5000 and +4500.
I played a H2H Dillon vs Algaier. Dillon has Cup success at this track. Hopefully he can continue it today (weather permitting)

Potential matchups for tomorrow:

DiBeneditto -118 vs Bubba
Preece -114 vs Eric Jones

Stenhouse -148 vs Bubba looks good but I do not want to lay that much juice at such an unpredictable tract.
Almirola -136 vs Truex looks good too, but don't think I would lay -136 at Talladega.

Also, Harrison Burton will drive in the Cup race tomorrow. He is only 20 years old. I grew up a few houses down the street from Ward and Jeff Burton and watched them race at our local track in South Boston, VA. It is cool to see Jeff's son. Harrison, make it to the big show. He will be driving the Gaunt Brothers car tomorrow, which usually competitive on Superspeedways. This is just a learning experience for him and PR for the Gaunt Brother's sponsors. He will not do well, but it is cool to see.

I played a H2H Dillon vs Algaier. Dillon has Cup success at this track. Hopefully he can continue it today (weather permitting)
That looks good. My book does not have any Xfinity matchups or have not put them up yer.

Hemric -109 vs Gragson also looks good.

Gragson is too aggressive for this tract and he has few friends to draft with. Kinda like my reasonings for betting against Bubba tomorrow. Not that Bubba has few friends, but he will draft with someone and leave them hanging out to dry way too often, which makes people cautious to draft with him. Originally, heading into Daytona I wanted to back Bubba in the 500 and I think I bet on him in the Duel, but after watching the Duel and seeing him hang people out and make mistakes in the draft, I decided not to. He did the same thing in the 500. The only way he finishes well is if he is helped by Hamlin, Truex, etc.

Also, Netflix announced that they are doing a Bubba Wallace/23XI Racing documentary. So not only did Bubba use the fake noose incident to outkick his coverage and get a ride in a car that there were more capable drivers available to drive, but he has used this fake elevated profile and subsequent social justice support to line his pockets. I would assume that he is being paid for his social justice takes, like LeBron is, and is now being paid for a doc. I am not saying there is no racism in Nascar, there is, but no one is hanging up nooses, which was a staged event or someone taking a normal thing, a garage pull, and creating a narrative.

I am assuming this Bubba doc will be more about racism than it is about NASCAR and 23XI racing. Wendell Scott is more deserving of a documentary if they want to do a NASCAR doc about racism. The Willie T Ribbs doc, "Uppity" that came out last year is a good doc about him which also deals with racing and racism.

That looks good. My book does not have any Xfinity matchups or have not put them up yer.

Hemric -109 vs Gragson also looks good.

Gragson is too aggressive for this tract and he has few friends to draft with. Kinda like my reasonings for betting against Bubba tomorrow. Not that Bubba has few friends, but he will draft with someone and leave them hanging out to dry way too often, which makes people cautious to draft with him. Originally, heading into Daytona I wanted to back Bubba in the 500 and I think I bet on him in the Duel, but after watching the Duel and seeing him hang people out and make mistakes in the draft, I decided not to. He did the same thing in the 500. The only way he finishes well is if he is helped by Hamlin, Truex, etc.
Noah is indeed an accident waiting to happen at Talladega. Far more likely to win than Hemric but way more likely to crash and burn early.

Potential matchups for tomorrow:

Stenhouse -148 vs Bubba looks good but I do not want to lay that much juice at such an unpredictable tract.
Almirola -136 vs Truex looks good too, but don't think I would lay -136 at Talladega.
I like those first 2 alot. The book I went to in NC only had Bubba vs Kurt Busch. Wasn't crazy about that, but played Busch.

Matty D and Almirola both had their first top 10s last week and our both much better at Dega.

Also, Harrison Burton will drive in the Cup race tomorrow. He is only 20 years old. I grew up a few houses down the street from Ward and Jeff Burton and watched them race at our local track in South Boston, VA. It is cool to see Jeff's son. Harrison, make it to the big show. He will be driving the Gaunt Brothers car tomorrow, which usually competitive on Superspeedways. This is just a learning experience for him and PR for the Gaunt Brother's sponsors. He will not do well, but it is cool to see.
I like Burton. He seems like a good kid. I've bet him a few times this year. Rumors 23XI racing will expand to 2 cars next year and Burton could be one from the Xfinity side that could get the ride. But he probably needs another year or two in Xfinity.

Speaking of 23XI Nascar went with the low hanging fruit with their equivalent of Drive to Survive.

I was hoping they did JTG Daugherty and did it in a similar fashion to the F1 doc, but as you said, it will focus on shit that has nothing to do with racing.

I bet:

Best finish Group F: Buescher +225 vs Chastain, Briscoe, Suarez

Preece +5500 and Buecher +5000 for tomorrow. I split my usual amount to win on both.

This does not matter much here, except that you should probably take Hamlin out of your DFS lineups:
Hamlin Truex Bell Wallace and Burton all to rear for unapproved adjustments

Back