Gary Andersen leaves Wisconsin and takes Oregon St job

Paraphrasing Adam Rittenberg on ESPN - "He was frustrated at the academic level athletes were held to and couldn't get the junior college transfers he wanted"

Seriously, ass wipes leave for lesser jobs at Arkansas and now Oregon St over the last two years. Just kills recruiting. I'm not a huge fan of Andersen, but want some program stability. My f'n news feed and local news are talking Bo Pelini and Paul Chryst as the top options. I'm about to have an aneurysm.

Dave Aranda have enough experience? Don't see Dave Doeren leaving NCST. Come on Barry got to get this one right or we'll be back to another 30 years of mediocrity.

Andersen earned 2.2mill this year at Wisconsin. Reily made 1.5 at Oregon State. So Andersen jumped to a "lesser job" for less or same dollars? Says things aren't right at Wisconsin

Chryst seems the obvious choice

Darrell Bevell maybe? He has no recruiting experience outside of a year as a graduate assistant at Iowa St and two years at the UConn WR coach. Not sure if he'd want to leave the NFL at this point as OC of Seahawks. He's much loved in Wisconsin though.

Everything I've seen from Chryst indicates he is a good guy but not a very good coach. Pitt lost at least 3 games this year thanks to the coaching.

i have no idea what the contract/buyout details would be but Im a big fan of darrell hazell. Kent State is a dumpster fire of a program (Im an alum) and he recruited and got those kids to play hard, made MAC champ game in just 2 years ect... kids at purdue played very hard all season as well. If he wuda stuck around another year or 2, he wud have landed a much bigger gig than purdue.

He will be at a big job eventually

It ain't academic restrictions...there's basically two or three schools that have restrictions the rest if u can clear the clearinghouse that's it...it's BS smokescreen

i have no idea what the contract/buyout details would be but Im a big fan of darrell hazell. Kent State is a dumpster fire of a program (Im an alum) and he recruited and got those kids to play hard, made MAC champ game in just 2 years ect... kids at purdue played very hard all season as well. If he wuda stuck around another year or 2, he wud have landed a much bigger gig than purdue.

He will be at a big job eventually
his recruiting has been a disaster at Purdue....their staff hasn't made it a priority in ohio which has shocked insiders at osu...saying he's been a disaster according to ohio high school coaches...been surprising for me too as I loved him under tressel and thought Purdue had hit a home run...his staff has basically been called lazy

Todd Graham? He is about due for a change of scenery, not really the name that comes to mind for "stability" though.

Scott Frost. Best Oregon teams used to run the ball a ton and maybe they can get a qb who can actually play at a d1 school.

As an Oregon State alum....it's been an interesting week of surprises, rumours and hirings. Since we played "name the next OSU coach" this week, here's a list Wisky can borrow:

My new pick is Kirby Smart.
Also on my approved list, in order: Matt Wells, Scott Frost, Bryan Harsin, Tim DeRuyter, Bronco Mendenhall.
Begrudgingly accept list: Tedford, Justin Wilcox…maybe some others.
Disapprove list: Brady Hoke, Jack Del Rio, Beau Baldwin, Neuheisal, Long

It's official: Gary Andersen has left the Wisconsin Badgers to become the head coach at Oregon State. It's a shocking move, but the Badgers are now left to find his replacement.

BadgerBlitz.com has compiled a Hot Board of potential candidates to take over for Andersen and start the next era of Wisconsin football. Candidates are organized by current position, and will be ordered in accordance with BadgerBlitz.com's staff's perceptions.

The BadgerBlitz.com Coaching Hot Board
Sitting head coaches

Paul Chryst
Record: 19-19 @ Pittsburgh

Coaching stops: Pittsburgh (2012-present), Wisconsin OC (2005-2011), Oregon State OC (2003-2004), Wisconsin TEs (2002-2004), San Diego TEs (NFL) (1999-2001), Oregon State OC (1997-1998), Saskatchewan OC (CFL) (1996), Illinois State OC (1995)

Background: A top offensive strategist and former Wisconsin quarterback, Chryst has already been hired twice by Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez, but left Bret Bielema's staff to coach at Pittsburgh in 2012.

Why Chryst: Former offensive coordinator for the Badgers, Chryst was born and raised in Madison. Chryst's last few offenses were prolific. Has been a head coach for three years. Alvarez didn't pursue him last time because he had been at Pitt for just one season. Now he has some head coaching experience.

Why not: Chryst hasn't had a huge amount of success at Pittsburgh, but he's a safe choice for Alvarez.

Dave Doeren
Record: 33-18 at North Carolina State and Northern Illinois

Coaching stops: North Carolina State (2012-present), Northern Illinois (2011-2012), Wisconsin DC, LB (2008-2010), Wisconsin co-DC, LB (2006-2007), Kansas co-DC, LB (2005), Kansas LB (2002-2004), Montana DB (2000-2001), USC GA (1998-1999)

Background: A former Wisconsin defensive coordinator, Doeren left to take over Northern Illinois following five years with the Badgers. Doeren led the Huskies to an Orange Bowl berth and two MAC championship before he accepted an offer to become the head coach at North Carolina State.

Why Doeren: Former defensive coordinator at Wisconsin under Bielema, Doeren is an excellent recruiter and took Northern Illinois to the Orange Bowl in 2012. N.C. State also improved from 3-9 in his first year to 7-5 in year two.

Why not: A 10-14 record isn't overly impressive, and his name might be further down the list.

Justin Fuente
Record: 16-20 @ Memphis

Coaching stops: Memphis (2012-present), TCU OC (2009-2011), TCU RBs (2007-2008), Illinois State OC/QBs (2004-2006), Illinois State QBs (2001-2003)

Background: Fuente is picking up steam as a candidate for a better job after he revived Memphis' program.

Why Fuente: Fuente's profile looks like Andersen's before the Badgers hired him: former coordinator becomes a head coach, revives a moribund program. He also helped guide TCU's offense to an upset over Wisconsin in the 2011 Rose Bowl.

Why not: No direct Wisconsin ties or ties to the Midwest. Recruiting in the Big Ten would seemingly be a step up for him.

Current coordinators

Darrell Bevell
Coaching stops: Seattle OC (2011-Present), Minnesota OC (2006-2010), Green Bay QB (2003-2005) Green Bay Asst. (2000-2002), UConn WR (1998-1999)

Background: Bevell is a former Wisconsin quarterback who played for Alvarez and led the Badgers to a Rose Bowl win. He's currently coaching for Pete Carroll at Seattle, where a certain former Badgers quarterback is making his mark in the league.

Why Bevell: If Bevell wants to move up in the coaching world, starting as the head coach of his alma mater might not be a bad place to start. Runs a pro-style offense that would fit right in with the current structure.

Why not: Bevell has not been a head coach before, and the Badgers seem to be looking for someone who won't be too inexperienced. He's also been out of the college game for a while, and the Seahawks are still in the thick of the NFL season, so he would have to divide his time if the Badgers were to hire him before the bowl game.

Pat Narduzzi
Coaching stops: Michigan State DC (2007-present), Cincinnati DC (2004-2006), Miami (Ohio) DC (2003), Northern Illinois LB (2000-2002)

Background: Narduzzi is a Mark Dantonio protege -- he has been with Dantonio for the last 11 season as his defensive coordinator. Narduzzi's defenses have performed very well over the last four seasons, and his name has been mentioned for a few head coaching jobs over the years. Maybe this is the year he takes the next step?

Why Narduzzi: Narduzzi is an up-and-coming coach who is looking for a head coaching job. He has Midwest ties and the Badgers could use a smart defensive mind to complement their existing pro-style offense.

Why not: Narduzzi is still an unknown commodity as a potential head coach. Alvarez would prefer it if his new hire head coaching experience, and Narduzzi doesn't check that box.

Tom Herman
Coaching stops: Ohio State OC/QBs (2012-present), Iowa State OC/QBs (2009-20011), Rice OC/QBs (2007-2008), Texas State OC (2005-2006), Sam Houston State WRs (2001-2004)

Background: Herman has been Urban Meyer's offensive coordinator at Ohio State since 2012. He's been behind several prolific offenses at his last few coaching stops.

Why Herman: In hiring Herman the Badgers could rejuvenate their offense and deal a blow to Ohio State. Herman has also helped develop some great quarterbacks at Ohio State.

Why not: Like Narduzzi, Herman has not been a head coach before. And while he might be great at working with quarterbacks, he might have too much on his plate to do that as a head coach too.

Dan Sanger
Dave Aranda
Coaching stops: Wisconsin DC (20013-present), Utah DC (2012), Hawaii (2010-2011), Hawaii DL (2009), Southern Utah DC (2008)

Background: Followed Andersen from Utah State to Wisconsin and was Badgers' defensive coordinator the past two years.

Why Aranda: Brought the 3-4 defense to Madison and did an excellent job. Believed to be on the path towards a head coaching position at some point.

Why not: Few ties to Alvarez and Wisconsin. Andersen will make a strong play to bring him to Oregon State as his coordinator. Could also pursue other higher-paid options in the SEC if he'd like to remain a coordinator.

Former head coaches

Greg Schiano
Coaching experience: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2012-2013), Rutgers (2001-2011), Miami DC (1999-2000), Chicago Bears DBs (1998), Penn State DBs (1991-1995)

Background: Schiano made Rutgers into a consistent contender for a bowl game but left for the NFL and flamed out in Tampa Bay.

Why Schiano: Schiano champions a style of play that would go over well at Wisconsin and in the Big Ten. If he can make Rutgers respectable, you'd think he could do well at Wisconsin too with more resources. Not employed at the moment.

Why not: Schiano flamed out of the NFL pretty quickly and has a pretty strong personality. Could he and Alvarez co-exist?

Bo Pelini
Coaching experience: Nebraska (2008-2014), LSU DC (2005-2007), Oklahoma co-DC (2004), Nebraska DC (2003), Green Bay Packers LBs (2000-2002), New England Patriots LBs, (1997-1999), San Francisco 49ers DBs (1994-1996)

Background: Pelini was a consistent winner at Nebraska, but the Cornhuskers fired him because they never consistently competed for championships.

Why Pelini: Pelini was good for nine or 10 wins per season at Nebraska, which isn't something to scoff at. His players also liked him, and he rehabbed his public image a bit in the last year.

Why not: Pelini was also an easy bet for four losses per year in his time at Nebraska. And while his background is on defense, Nebraska had more than a few blowout losses.

It ain't academic restrictions...there's basically two or three schools that have restrictions the rest if u can clear the clearinghouse that's it...it's BS smokescreen

Completely not true. I used to do some reporting on Big Ten recruiting and still follow it. In the last two years in particular, Wisconsin has lost multiple verbal commitments due to not being able to qualify academically at the school (which DOES have higher standards than the NCAA Clearinghouse). Just off the top of my head, there was a receiver from DC that ended up going to Toledo, and Craig Evans, a pretty well-regarded DL from the Madison area, who ended up at Michigan State. From the incoming class, Mohammed Barry was a verbal and ended up having to de-commit for academic reasons and is now bound for Kansas State. There is a powerful element among the Wisconsin regents that wants the university to be the Harvard of public schools, and they are not flexible about relaxing the academic standards further for athletes.

As an Oregon State alum....it's been an interesting week of surprises, rumours and hirings. Since we played "name the next OSU coach" this week, here's a list Wisky can borrow:

My new pick is Kirby Smart.
Also on my approved list, in order: Matt Wells, Scott Frost, Bryan Harsin, Tim DeRuyter, Bronco Mendenhall.
Begrudgingly accept list: Tedford, Justin Wilcox…maybe some others.
Disapprove list: Brady Hoke, Jack Del Rio, Beau Baldwin, Neuheisal, Long

Kirby Smart I don't think would leave SEC, but he'd be up there as well.

Completely not true. I used to do some reporting on Big Ten recruiting and still follow it. In the last two years in particular, Wisconsin has lost multiple verbal commitments due to not being able to qualify academically at the school (which DOES have higher standards than the NCAA Clearinghouse). Just off the top of my head, there was a receiver from DC that ended up going to Toledo, and Craig Evans, a pretty well-regarded DL from the Madison area, who ended up at Michigan State. From the incoming class, Mohammed Barry was a verbal and ended up having to de-commit for academic reasons and is now bound for Kansas State. There is a powerful element among the Wisconsin regents that wants the university to be the Harvard of public schools, and they are not flexible about relaxing the academic standards further for athletes.

As a Wisky alum i'd prefer that the academic standards remain high. It's still not crazy to be able to get into Madison. Have half a brain and you're good. If a player can't get in I don't want to cheer for them.

He saw his next two opponents are Auburn & Alabama, and thought he'd get out now before things really got ugly.

What could possibly go wrong with that?

I was looking at going to the 'Bama game at Jerry's World, but I think I probably should pass. Would prefer to lose my mind in my own home and wait for the 2016 LSU game at Lambeau.

There are a lot more than two or three schools. In addition to the schools already named, SMU has very strict admissions standards, and even Clemson often refuses admission to recruits who have qualified. They always seem to end up at UNC.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BadgersCoachingRumors?src=hash">#BadgersCoachingRumors</a> <a href="http://t.co/mqIVy4f6Kg">pic.twitter.com/mqIVy4f6Kg</a></p>&mdash; Badger Football (@BadgerFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/BadgerFootball/status/543172706209112064">December 11, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back