GamePlan and the Big Ten Sucks!

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Just was going to re-up for GamePlan this year and discovered.....the Big Ten is not participating!

As part of its' plan to be the WorldWide Leader and a media conference with the launch of the Big Ten Network, the Big Ten has pulled out of GamePlan.

How they will broadcast more than one game at a time on their network (seeing how all games start at 12 pm EST, for the most part) or will decide which ones they might allow ESPN or ABC to broadcast will be interesting.

So, given this (and the Mountain West's absence due to "The Mtn"), who is reupping for GamePlan.

I want to get Gameplan but never had it.. A few questions...

Can I watch the WAC games like NMST, SJST, Nevada, etc?

Can I watch any of the Sunbelt?

Am I going to get every South Carolina game not on national TV?

There is no Mountain West and Big 10?

That sucks. tOSU had pretty much all of their games either regional or espn and if not on gameplan, ie Akrons and YSU's. They wont be on there when they play the weaker opponents.

Am I missing something?

Everything, as much as I know concerning the S. Car. games, if GP DOESNT broadcast it the nyou will not be able to get it in that package. Say FSN South televises your game against Vandy. GP will not have it because the game is being televised with Fox, not espn/abc/gameplan.

In college I had a satallite with the fixed card that brought in all the GPs, FSN's, obscure chanels with all levels of college football.

like sometimes, SC plays games on Jefferson Pilot Sports.. so I am not going to get their games vs. say ULL first week?

That is going to piss me off.

I live..

in Mexico City.... I bought ESPN Gameplan... they broadcast about 15 games per week. You can get not much interesting games as syracuse vs. washington for example but also you can get florida vs. clemson. There is a blackout depending on where you live.
Has a good quality of transmission.
Best of luck this season everything...

The Big ten network isn't anything new guys. This has ben in place for months. It certainly does fuck people who have gameplan.

Heres some basics off top of head. For college football ABC, then ESPN pick their big ten games. Then the Big Ten network gets their choice. This will usually be 2-3 games a year tops. The same goes for cbb only its CBS and ESPN then. All this really is is taking the ESPN-plus games us in Big Ten country would get and putting them on a new channel.

Now, anyone in the midwest, you need to contact your local cable/satellite provider and ask about their plans for it. There is a website you can go to that makes it really easy as well. I'll find the link here in a little bit.

What is a blackout and what is FSN?

I was thinking of ordering the gameplan too but if there are games on FSN, what should I order to get FSN?

Would it be better to order gameplan + fsn or would gameplan have what I need?

I would get both GP and FSN. FSN has all the regional games just like GP.

BAR, from what you describe, the B10 network gets the scraps of ESPN/ABC. For example, ABC wants tOSU/Wisky, ESPN wants PSU/Iowa and that would leave B10 Network with Indiana/Minny? If this was the case for games played on the same Satyrday.

Is that correct?

Sorta bro...

Like on the first sat the UM-Appy St game is on BTN. You'll never see a premier game on there for the forseeable future.

Like I said though, its just like the regional games we would get every Saturday. Like when tOSU would play Indiana and it was on ESPN-Plus...same thing only on its own channel instead of one of your local channels. Same broadcasters for most part as well.

The key is making sure your provider has it. This benefits the big ten for revenue and exposure to the smaller sports.

I just order the fox sports package on Direct TV...it's 12 bucks a month and you get ESPNU, CSTV a bunch of comcast sports networks and the fox sports networks...occasionally you have a game blacked out, but it's well worth it...

As the Big Ten vs. the World saga continues to evolve, Big Ten Network president Mark Silverman updated the network's development and the progress it is making (or perhaps more accurately not making) in getting into the homes of its fans.

I planned a full story on this but there wasn't really enough new information to warrant it. At any rate, here goes. Feel free to ask whatever followup questions you might have and I'll do my best to answer them.

• DirecTV confirmed it will televise all games the network shows using run-off channels. This had been floated as an idea but is now certain to become a reality. Silverman said the same opportunity will be available for all providers who pick up the network.
  • The only factor in the ongoing negotiations with major cable providers the Big Ten is not willing to budge on is availability. Within the eight Big Ten states, the BTN will not accept being placed anywhere but expanded basic. All other factors are on the table.
  • That means the BTN could accept a per-subscriber fee of lower than the $1.10 it is seeking now.
  • Though no more deals have been reached with any major cable providers, Silverman claimed he is comfortable with the status of negotiations. He and commissioner Jim Delany agreed it is "about halftime" in negotiations. "I never thought we'd have these big deals done at this point in time," Silverman said.
  • As of today, Silverman said about 20 percent of cable/satellite subscribers in the eight-state region would get the Big Ten Network. Seventy percent of carriers in the region do not carry the network.
  • The network expects to carry 60-70 games for every university in the upcoming school year, which roughly half of those consisting of football or men's basketball.
  • Asked if it is a problem of physical space on expanded basic cable tiers that could also make the providers balk at adding the BTN to channel lineups, Silverman said he believed it was not an issue for larger operators such as Time Warner. Perhaps it is for smaller operators.

From a poster on CFN.com board about an email and response he got:

DIRECT TV - Big Ten Network

I sent an email to the big ten network several weeks ago regarding Direct TV coverage. I was trying to get specifics regarding what Direct TV will have in terms of "overflow" games and HD. I'm expecting a lot since they are the flagship provider of the Big Ten netowrk. This is what I got so far:

1) Direct TV will air Big Ten Network on CH 220. ALL SUBSCRIBERS of any direct tv package will receive this channel.

2) Direct TV will carry ALL the "overflow" channels. This would occur if two Big Ten games aired at the same time. One would be on the BTN, the second (or 3rd or 4th) would be on "overflow" channels.

3) They did not answer my question regarding the HD availability of the overflow channels. So I guess I'll wait and see.

Here is the email response:

Thanks for sending your question regarding the Big Ten Network and DirecTV. All DirecTV customers – even those receiving the most basic tier – will receive the Big Ten Network beginning on our launch date of August 30 on channel 220.

From day one, you will be able to see all the action, previews, analysis and classics on the Big Ten Network.

DirecTV has indicated that they plan on airing all of our "overflow" games. For cable operators, the decision whether or not to air BTN "overflow" games will be made by the cable operator.

We sincerely appreciate your email and interest in the Big Ten Network, and hope you enjoy our programming.

Sincerely,
The Big Ten Network web team

I signed up for gameplan yesterday...hoping to catch a few more Hawaii games besides the few at the end of the year that will be on ESPN. RE: the MTN and Big Ten networks...I was hearing the MWC was regretting going to the MTN. Guess the Big 10 thought they could get a better deal than the MWC.

Guys, question for those of you who have had Gameplan before..

Ok say you get 15-20 games a weekend. Are they only available to watch at their slated time or can you watch games the following week, say on a Tuesday night. I would like to catch a lot of games this yr and study teams so it would be great if these games are available any time to re-watch.

:hairout::shake::shake:
Guys, question for those of you who have had Gameplan before..

Ok say you get 15-20 games a weekend. Are they only available to watch at their slated time or can you watch games the following week, say on a Tuesday night. I would like to catch a lot of games this yr and study teams so it would be great if these games are available any time to re-watch.

yes, you can watch at a later date

I just order the fox sports package on Direct TV...it's 12 bucks a month and you get ESPNU, CSTV a bunch of comcast sports networks and the fox sports networks...occasionally you have a game blacked out, but it's well worth it...

It's great. I never had gameplan, and I still see damn near every game I want. ...course I have to have 3 or 4 monitors going at once...

saturday is CRAZY.

...and I LOVE it.

Good luck to you Sir Pags...and to everyone else!

Directtv has a great offer where you get the premier pack (every channel)and nfl sunday ticket, free HD receiver, a portable dvd player and free install for new customers.

69.99 for 4 months and 99.99 after.

i've had the gameplan for a few years now and have loved every minute of it. if i dont have a sports channel for cfb i just order it. get to see just about every team atleast once, if not, they weren't worth being broadcast.

Back