Gameday in the Bluegrass....Florida vs UK

Kmacc

Air Raid Returns!
As a long time UK fan growing up in Lexington I never thought I would see the day where college gameday would visit Commonwealth Stadium. Well it will no doubt be another sellout and should prove to be a highly entertaining matchup.

The Cats have once again opened as a TD dog. This marks the 4th time this year UK has opened as atleast a 6 point underdog and they are now 3-0 SU in those games. I think this will be the toughest game for UK to emotionally handle after an alltime high of beating LSU and Florida with 2 weeks off and coming off 2 straight losses.

A few notes off of ukathletics.com:

QUICK NOTES
  • Kentucky’s 6-1 start is its best since the 1977 squad began at 6-1. UK is bowl eligible for the second consecutive season. The Cats are one of three teams in the SEC that are already bowl eligible (LSU and South Carolina are the others).
  • Kentucky is in the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) standings for the first time in school history. The Wildcats are at No. 7 for the first standings of the 2007 season, as released on Sunday.
  • Including last season, Kentucky has won 11 of its last 13 games. That is the best 13-game stretch since the Wildcats went 12-1 during the 1976-77 seasons.
  • Kentucky has won a stadium-record eight in a row at Commonwealth Stadium, which was opened in 1973. The Cats are 5-0 at home this season.
  • The Wildcats are looking for their first win over Florida since 1986 (10-3 in Lexington).
  • Kentucky’s offense ranks seventh in the nation and leads the SEC in scoring offense, averaging 42.7 points per game. UK has scored at least 40 points in six of seven games this season. The Wildcats’ 43 points scored against No. 1 LSU marked the most points UK had scored against an LSU team in school history and the most points allowed by the Tigers this season. The 43 points also were the fourth-highest points scored in a defeat of a top-ranked team in AP poll history.
  • Linebacker Wesley Woodyard leads the SEC and currently ranks tied for 16th nationally in tackles, averaging 10.9 per game. He is the only SEC player to average double-figure tackles this season.
  • Defensive end Jeremy Jarmon ranks second in the SEC and is tied for 16th nationally in sacks with 6.5 on the year. The sophomore has recorded at least one sack in seven of the last nine games.
  • Quarterback André Woodson has thrown for 7,437 career yards, joining Jared Lorenzen and Tim Couch as the only quarterbacks in Kentucky history to throw for 7,000 yards in a career. He also has totaled 7,055 offensive yards, again joining Lorenzen and Couch above the 7,000-yard mark.
  • The Wildcats are 34-of-36 in the red-zone this season, including 7-of-7 vs. LSU.
  • Kentucky has made the most of its third-down opportunities this season, as the Wildcats rank seventh in the nation in third-down conversions. UK has made 50 percent of its third-down chances so far this season.
  • UK ranks in the top three of 11 SEC statistical categories, leading the league in scoring offense (42.7), total offense (460.0), first downs (183) and kickoff coverage (44.1 net yards).
  • UK’s rushing offense has made drastic improvements from last season. UK currently has 16 rushing TDs. UK charted just 12 rushing TDs in all of the 2006 season. UK also ranked 11th in the league in rushing last season, averaging 98.6 yards per game. After seven games this season, the Wildcats rank fourth in the SEC and 23rd nationally in rushing offense, averaging 200 yards per game.
  • Kentucky ranks third in the league in turnover margin at +0.43. The Wildcats have recovered six fumbles and picked off 10 passes this season. UK had won or tied the turnover margin in 11 of the last 12 games. UK is 3-0 this season when winning the turnover battle.
Rich Brooks press conference:
Opening Statement…
“Well, there’s good news and bad news on the injury front. Paul Warford’s fracture (collarbone) has been confirmed and he definitely will miss the next two weeks, and then we’ll have to see how he feels after the bye week. Rafael Little, who we thought was getting better, got a little calcium on that thigh and will be out indefinitely. I’m sure in the next two weeks we’ll see how that responds, after the bye week probably. Ricky Lumpkin will try to practice this week and we’ll see how he progresses. So far he’s done pretty well without any major setbacks. Tony Dixon will practice tomorrow and basically Marcus McClinton and Johnny Williams will also be back practicing tomorrow. So we get some people back and we hope that we don’t get them back and then lose some. That’s kind of what happens at this time of year, but the good news is that we’ve had people step up in every situation so far and respond when somebody’s been injured. The depth has proven to be necessary and better than it’s been since I’ve been here, and that’s a huge thing. Looking at the upcoming Florida game, obviously this is going to be another major test. Now Florida has done some things that have obviously given us problems defensively in the past and that is a major concern. With (Tim) Tebow running the option and the zone running game, as well as being an outstanding thrower to a very talented group of receivers, we obviously have our work cut out for us on that side of the ball. Defensively I thought that, coming into this season, you weren’t quite sure because Florida had to replace nine defensive starters, but they’ve stepped up and played outstanding defense. You look at some of the games they’ve played, especially what they did to Tennessee on both sides of the ball, it’s scary. LSU on the road, they had them down 10 going into the fourth quarter, and to do that on the road is very special. Their defensive personnel, although they haven’t gotten a lot of starts under their belts, is a very talented group and has a lot of guys with size and speed. It’s just another typical, very difficult SEC game against a team that we haven’t beaten in a long time. These players weren’t born the last time we beat them, so hopefully they don’t know too much about that streak.”

On what may have surprised him in the game against LSU…
“I was very impressed with how André managed the game. There were several times when they brought more guys than we blocked, and he just threw the ball away. He threw two interceptions, one of which occurred when he was hit and the ball just kind of fluttered out there. The other one, the defensive back just made a phenomenal play, breaking back and actually beating Keenan (Burton) to the ball. The way he managed the game and kept his poise in the fourth quarter and overtime was probably the most impressive thing to me.”

Definately want to hear from Rex, Linde, and Grind on what they think about UK's chances this weekend. I am leaning towards taking the points and another shot at the UK ml.

Last edited:
I will have some thoughts later in the wk but as far as my interest in this game goes, I am pulling for the upset so UF is eliminated from the SEC-East race

Kentucky is legit. Get on the bandwagon now. I see it this way---someone has to win the heisman and it seems like it is time for defining moment to appear for one of the candidates. Back to back victories vs. LSU and Florida gets it done for Woodson.

Kentucky can move it on anybody and will be able to catch Major Wright and some of those young guys out of position. Defensively, I see an improving Kentucky unit. They should hold on occasion against the power running of UF after seeing LSU last week, the toughest it gets. Kentucky has seen Kent State, Arkansas, and LSU so I think they have improved for simply seeing, keying, focusing, and experiencing on that aspect of the game.

Kentucky had two turnovers last week and still won. Kentucky played South Carolina closer than the score was, UK beat themselves largely.

LSU is not as good as once thought, and that makes UF back to what I thought before they played LSU. I see UF losing 2 more games before the season ends. Despite the bye week for Florida I believe Kentucky will win.

I think we got a great shot... it cracks me up to see the "#7" team in the country catchin a touch +1 at home to a team eight spots behind us after we beat the #1 team in the country. fuck a bunch of rankings anyway

concerns..
1) letdown factor (letdown when we got gameday rollin in? yea aiiiight)
2) has Meyer ever lost 3 games in a row?
3) obviously the dual threat of Tebow
4) making stops on third down
5) special teams maintaining our field position

So many fuckin positives I don't know where to start.....

1) Kicking game - Lones Seiber is cool, calm, and collected. still can't believe he drilled all those pressure kicks. I remember earlier this year he was struggling on his PATs.... teammates always had faith in him based on performance in practice

2) D-Locke - kid takes a fuckin beatin, holds on to the football, and hops right up unphased... showin off that track speed hittin those holes hard.. acts like he's been around for years. feels great to beat LSU without our so-called top 3 tailbacks. Tough break for Raffy (calcium deposit)

3) Woodson - offensive game management - kid checked off half of the 79 offensive plays ran from scrimmage. amazing

4) Physicality - I'll be damned - we finally earned the label around the SEC. LSU players quoted as saying Cats were much more physical than anticipated and Brooks really stressing being physical in practice.. McFadden wasn't fuckin around when he said the Cats were the most physical team he had faced up to that point. Jarmon and Woodyard puttin up numbers... McClinton should be back saturday (crossin fingers)

5) Youth movement - we've had our share of injuries, and unlike last year, we have DEPTH. So many different young guys steppin up every week fillin the void...

quick rant.........I'd like to give a big ole FUCK YOU to Craig James for voting us #24 on his AP ballot this week. guy is a fucking douchebag. read this the other day and lost what little respect I had for the guy

I really don't see a letdown because they stay at home. I think coming off a big win a team that stays at home is likely to carry their performance over to the next game. Also, i don't think the LSU win was a fluke anfd the team knows that. That game had to be a huge confidence boost. After that win over LSU they are seven point dogs at home to a two loss team? For sure taking points in this one. Fla does not have a great secondary either.

I've already played Florida -7.

-Big letdown will happen, whether you want it to or not, whether the team says it will or not.
-UF open date to rest up and smart over 2 straight losses.
-UF's offense will roll.
-UF has to win to stay in the SEC race.

For me, UK will be flat with a ton of hype surrounding them. Sound familar? It does to Tiger fans. In the meantime, UF has had to sit at home, smarting over their 2 losses, watching everyone around them win. The Gator offense will do a much better job of attacking than LSU did. I think Florida makes a statement.

I do not think it is very wise to take the Cats this week...I'm not 100% convinced UF covers but I am almost positive they win. This is not a good spot for UK and if you ignore bad spots with teams who are already overmatched in the talent department as it is, you could get yourself into some serious trouble...

I do not think it is very wise to take the Cats this week...I'm not 100% convinced UF covers but I am almost positive they win. This is not a good spot for UK and if you ignore bad spots with teams who are already overmatched in the talent department as it is, you could get yourself into some serious trouble...

Well i am not so sure that UK is overmatched in talent in this game. Florida replaced 9 guys on D last year and although they have been playing fairly well they are young and were clearly worn down by LSU. Yes it may not be a very good spot for the Cats but a TD dog at home in the SEC almost warrants a play in itself. I know I have been on the Cats every game this year and they continue to get the money, except for at SC so not sure if I see enough out of the Gators to make me jump ship now.

I can understand that, but lines don't immediately jump 2.5 points for no reason - especially against a UK group who just beat the #1 team in the nation who everyone previously thought was invincible. This thing opened at 4.5, and climbed to 7 before anyone knew it. That should atleast be somewhat of a caution sign if you ask me.

Damn I hope I'm wrong about this game, I just don't think so. Got a bad feeling we see a lot of mistakes out of our Cats.

Basing UK's chance off of anything to do with the LSU game last week will be a mistake. I'm not saying UK played mistake free but they couldnt have caught a much more unprepared bunch than they did last week.

If that game was in Gainesville a DD loss would have been guaranteed.
Again taking nothing away from a great Kentucky team and I am rooting for the SU win and the rematch. I just think Florida does all the things that the Tigers failed to do last week. Namely not thinking 13 points will be enough to fend off a comeback.

As for the comments about beating LSU without your top 3 RBS.
I think you beat LSU BECAUSE you didnt have your top 3 RBS.
The running style that little fella had was hell on LSUs defense.
In 5 years outside of a pumped up Ronnie Brown (LSU shunned him recruiting wise) I havent seen ANYONE get 4-5 extra yards after contact on damn near every single play. The little dude got about 6 inches off the ground and lunged an extra 4 yards on virtually every play.

Back