Game 5 Strategy...

Smokedawg

Eagles Fan
Ok, Im ready to move past Monday night to tonight...lets look at strategy...

Game starts in the Bottom of the 6th with Balfour on the mound and a pinch hitter, Rollins and Werth due up

In the top of the 7th, the Rays have Navarro, Baldelli, Bartlett and the pitcher's spot due up...

The Phils will, in my estimation, put Geoff Jenkins in to pinch hit. Why Jenkins and not Dobbs? Because if you put Dobbs in then Maddon immediately goes to his pen and brings out Howell and Dobbs is no good against lefties.

Why would Maddon bring in Howell and not Price? Because the pitcher's spot is due up 4th the next inning and theres no one in the top 5 (Imanwara, Crawford, Upton, Pena, Langoria) of the lineup to double switch him with and I gotta assume he wants him to go more than one inning/be available later in the game....its still 'only' the sixth inning remember...

So the question becomes do you leave Balfour in there to face Jenkins or do you go to Howell and have Charlie bring in Bruntlett (not likely in my opinion, b/c hes Burrells defensive replacement and if you dont get to Burrells spot in the lineup in the 6th, then youve burned Pat's bat), Coste or Say It Aint So Taguchi?

With Rollins and Utley and Howard looming, Im gonna say he goes to Howell and Charlie goes to Taguchi.

So thats the bottom of the 6th...Howell vs. Taguchi, Rollins, Werth, Utley, Howard (and then theyll pull him when Pat comes to the plate)

Now we move to the 7th....who does Charlie put out there to face the bottom of the Rays lineup? I think if the Phils take the lead in the 6th, he tries to get 3 innings out of Madson and Lidge in some shape or form. If its still tied going into the 7th, I think Durbin's the man with Romero warming up in the pen...

Lastly, the fact that this game is being played today and not yesterday is HUGE for the Phils. If this game woulda went off yesterday, the Rays would have had all the momentum in the world. The team, fans, and pretty much whole city of Philadelphia was in massive letdown mode yesterday. Everyone just felt like theyd been wronged. Today, its more upbeat and everyone seems past it and ready to go out and win the World Series....

'an_horse'

Sounds about right to me Smoke...I actually think Maddon is gonna stick with Balfour or maybe thats just me hoping we don't lead off the bottom of the 6th with Taguchi...its really sad to think that Taguchi makes more $$ this year than Hamels...Yesterday was incredibly depressing but im feeling much better about things today...Lets Go Phillies:tiphat:

Its unbelievable the difference a day makes, isnt it Cmoney??

Gotta think the players are feeling the same way to a certain degree...

And as crazy as it sounds, Id almost rather have Taguchi up there vs Howell than Jenkins up there vs Balfour. Jenkins is pretty much a guaranteed strike out at that point. Maybe Taguchi can summon ghosts of postseasons past and have ONE good pesky at bat and use a little speed to get on first...

But, looking at this objectively, the Phillies are in a much better situation for this 'game' -

- They have first ups and last ups
- They have the better bullpen
- Theyre at a better spot in their order
- Its gonna be freezing cold

I'm hoping they do play Hamels. TB was doing a good job of measuring him up and had just started cranking hits off him. ;)

I'm hoping they do play Hamels. TB was doing a good job of measuring him up and had just started cranking hits off him. ;)

Yeah, thats what happens when he couldnt throw his change up or his curve because he couldnt get a grip on the baseball...he had ONE pitch and they still couldnt get ahead...

Think I'm going to let my TB series bet ride. -150 + on the Phils is too steep in a virtual three inning game. Agree with you Smoke.

3 inning game favors Phils with Madson and Lidge, AND they get an extra at bat? this line is cheap IMO

btw thanks for the thoughts smokedawg. as a braves fan i hate to see it win, but i'll be on the Phils tonight

Lastly, the fact that this game is being played today and not yesterday is HUGE for the Phils. If this game woulda went off yesterday, the Rays would have had all the momentum in the world. The team, fans, and pretty much whole city of Philadelphia was in massive letdown mode yesterday. Everyone just felt like theyd been wronged. Today, its more upbeat and everyone seems past it and ready to go out and win the World Series....

Exactly what I'm thinking...

Best of luck tonight!

:cheers:

40 degrees in Tampa tonight. It would have been cold wherever they played. It wont matter. The adrenalin kicks in and it could be 5 degrees and they wouldn't care. It's only 3 innings ? :smiley_acbe:

3 inning game favors Phils with Madson and Lidge, AND they get an extra at bat? this line is cheap IMO

Great thought there.....I was laying -170 on Monday, now my guy has Philly -140.

Better bullpen, extra at bat....Im on them again.

GL!

i have a feeling tonight spells disaster for PHILLY fans.. you all will be pissin and moanin by the end of this game as it heads back to Tampa... glad to see you guys excited though.. IM an Oriole fan so..

Back