Game 5 Mavericks vs. Celtics Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Mavericks vs. Celtics NBA Finals Game 5 Best Bet: It's Party Time For Boston

Dallas Mavericks vs. Boston Celtics
Monday, June 17, 2024 at 8:30 p.m. ET at TD Garden

Game 4 Was Anomalous

Heading into Game 4, Boston was undefeated in its series with Dallas. By winning the first three games of the series, the Celtics motivated our perception that they are clearly the better team and that they will own the series.

The Mavericks, however, won Game 4, and they did so by an astounding margin.

Should Game 4 alter our perception of how this series will go?

I think that it should not, because I contend that Game 4 was anomalous.

Forgetting Game 4

From the first two rounds of the playoffs, we already knew that that the Celtics were prone to the occasional bad game in which they lack focus and effort.

In the first round, the Celtics dominated their series against Miami, beating the Heat four times by double digits. However, they had that one bad game: they lost Game 2 at home by ten points.

Likewise, Boston proved itself to be vastly stronger than Cleveland, its second-round opponent.

However, in that series, too, Boston had that one bad game: the Celtics let Cleveland beat them at home by an absurd 24 points.

We must forget what Dallas did to the Celtics in Game 4 because this game was merely another indication of Boston's proneness to the occasional and anomalous lapse. As in the case of the first two rounds of the playoffs, Boston will lose once by double digits to a team that it is clearly better than.

We see, for example, in the absurd rebound disparity between Dallas and Boston in Game 4 that the Celtics' effort was not there. We also see in Boston's unusually low field goal percentage that it was not in-tune.

Moreover, the Mavericks in Game 4 were in a spot that has been golden for them throughout the postseason: they have always dominated the game following a loss at home. That spot is over for them now.

Boston's Great Spot in Game 5

It is the Celtics, in Game 5, who are in a great spot because they are coming off a loss and because they can clinch the series at home with one more win.

The Celtics have lost two postseason games so far. They won the game following their first loss by 20 points and the game following their second loss by 13 points.

Moreover, Boston has had two opportunities to clinch a series at home.

It converted both of its opportunities, beating Miami at home by 24 points and Cleveland at home by 13 points.

Evidently, following a loss and with a chance to clinch a series at home, Boston is locked-in.

With this plurality of advantageous situational circumstances in the Celtics' favor, we should expect them to play their best.

The Matchup

Boston's best basketball will involve a double-digit win because of the extent to which it matches up excellently against Dallas.

The Celtics have shown in the first three games of the series, all wins, including a seven-point road win and an 18-point win at home, that they are the better team.

After all, both teams had a week to prepare for each other, and now they've played each other multiple times. Each team's cards are shown: we've seen what each team has to offer and we see that one team, Boston, clearly has the matchup edge.

On offense, Boston has been efficient inside and is knocking down way more threes than Dallas is. As a bonus, the Celtics are even better from the free throw line.

Boston's Defense In This Series

Boston's defense is designed to take away the corner three, which is crucial because Dallas' offense relies heavily on corner threes.

Moreover, the Celtics possess sufficient breadth of able perimeter defenders to be able to defend Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving one-on-one.

Derrick White and Jrue Holiday are both All-NBA Defensive Team selections. Jaylen Brown was close to being one this season, and his physicality and physical skill set allow him to match up well against Luka, while Holiday, for example, matches up well as a defender against Irving. Irving is anyhow totally flummoxed by Boston's crowd – he used to be a Celtic and has struggled to beat the Celtics since he stomped on Boston's leprechaun logo.

Boston's ability to guard Luka and Kyrie one-on-one allows the Celtics to stick to Luka and Kyrie's teammates, forcing them to create on their own, which they are unable to do, especially against Boston's defenders. Thus, Dallas isn't able to get the easy shots that it did against Minnesota.

Boston's Superior Offense

Dallas wants to wall off the paint to prevent dribble penetration, making it more vulnerable stylistically to a Boston offense that wants to stay behind the arc and shoot a lot of threes.

The Celtics will field five dangerous shooters on the court at a single time, allowing them to space out Dallas' defenders.

It is hard to fly around on defense when the offense possesses this extent of shooting talent plus Boston's passing.

Boston's spacing facilitates its ability to drive inside. The Celtics especially target and wear down Dallas' top two scorers (Luka and Kyrie).

Holiday, despite being a guard, is also effective in the dunker spot, with Dallas' bigs drawn away from the basket, where their rim protection, which had been a crucial component of Dallas' success on defense, gets negated.

Takeaway

The situation and the match up both favor the Celtics strongly.

Don't let Boston's characteristic occasional lapse in Game 4 alter your understanding of what happened in the first three games of this series, which was entirely revealing of each team's capabilities.

Best Bet: Celtics -7 at -110 with BetOnline

Forced bet either way imo

Mavs will be overvalued after that blah blah

Celts could blow out blah blah

Both are terrible angles because neither team is capable of being THAT team to live up to whatever you need them to be

Under likely cashes like it should

Guess I'm at that point

You really be shocked if this borderline NBA championship team loses by double digits on their home court? I'm not.

I also won't be shocked if it's a Dallas no show

I'm honing in on 1h and 1q stuff while I know it's intense

Throughout the series, posted totals have been coming down. Scores have been going up. Under 4-0 so far. Something's got to give

We saw ball movement from Dallas. No reason we won't see it tomorrow night. No capping for me. I knew what I had to do.
Fair enough.

Pace was a bit better although a blowout can skew.

I like to factor in FGAs(obviously FTs here too) and turnovers.

Fair enough.

Pace was a bit better although a blowout can skew.

I like to factor in FGAs(obviously FTs here too) and turnovers.
The "something's got to give" angle was big. The better ball movement put me over the top.

Kind of like Gm. 4 of the Sac/Dal. series in '03. Games 1 & 2 came real high, and in each case the books jacked up the posted total considerably for the next game. Game 3 came 278, with another big bump in the posted total for Gm. 4. That's all I needed to see; no capping whatsoever. I unloaded on the action points for the under. BTW, anyone know any books that deal action points these days?

The play on tonight's game is just a regular play, though.

The "something's got to give" angle was big. The better ball movement put me over the top.

Kind of like Gm. 4 of the Sac/Dal. series in '03. Games 1 & 2 came real high, and in each case the books jacked up the posted total considerably for the next game. Game 3 came 278, with another big bump in the posted total for Gm. 4. That's all I needed to see; no capping whatsoever. I unloaded on the action points for the under. BTW, anyone know any books that deal action points these days?

Oooh, I love that historical angle.

Action points where you win more each point the total is under/over the line?

I think the closest you’ll get to that these days are adjusted lines when you can bet at plus money for each point added/subtracted.

Back