Game 3 & Game 4 of the second round - NBA discussion thread

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 934"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL BASKETBALL - SAT 5/10[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Sat 5/10[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]721[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Miami Heat[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-1 1.971[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 1.917[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 188 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"]Props
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]05:00 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]722[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Brooklyn Nets[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+1 1.935[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 1.990[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 188 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Sat 5/10[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]723[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]San Antonio Spurs[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-1 2.020[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"] 1.980[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 207.5 1.962[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"]Props
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]07:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]724[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Portland Trail Blazers [/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+1 1.885[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"] 1.926[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 207.5 1.943[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
The series will come back to Oklahoma and Indiana, levelled 2 - 2, I'm pretty confident of that. There are two options in my mind:
1) To take the guests +4 and hope for the best scenario, where they lose, but cover.
2) Simply wait out Game 3 and take the loser of Game 3 in Game 4.

To be honest, with zig zag theory getting new life, home teams look like the better choice on paper, but I firm believer that Pacers and Thunder both will be the ones to face Heat and Spurs in the Conference Finals, so it's hard for me to fade them.

I would worry if I were Indiana though. Wizards dominated the boards again. 43 - 4 in Wizards favor under Wizards board (Indiana grabbed 8.5% of the rebounds), while Wizards did not as well as in Game 1, but still grabbed 11 out of 49 boards Under Pacers rim (almost 22.5%).

For Pacers to win on the road, they will have to play a lot better the rebound game.

Can someone explain to me what the thunder did to limit Blake griffin so much in game 2? Was he just not utilized offensively?

In one word - Ibaka. He and Perkins do amazing job this post season as far as defense and rebounds go...

Is this the game you take Brooklyn?

Probably only chance to back them in an important playoff game for then next 5 years. No cap space, no draft picks, old. They sold it all for this run and it's fizzling out. The Jags are a bad franchise but at least have potential. Nets have none so you could argue worst franchise in sports.

Is this the game you take Brooklyn?

For deron to go scoreless is beyond pathetic but the heat are just better at executing. That's not going to change. Plus Miami should push to get as much rest as possible because that will even up the score with their potential finals matchup teams who will most likely go 6 or 7 games

Refs should throw Crooklyn a bone in Game 3, it is their best spot to get a win 'situationally'.

Probably only chance to back them in an important playoff game for then next 5 years. No cap space, no draft picks, old. They sold it all for this run and it's fizzling out. The Jags are a bad franchise but at least have potential. Nets have none so you could argue worst franchise in sports.
Lol worst franchise in sports.. You are baiting Nbafan

Worst place to be in the nba is slightly above average. Sell your entire future on a chance to be slightly above average and that makes you a terribly run franchise. With the face of it being the child molester.

Can someone explain to me what the thunder did to limit Blake griffin so much in game 2? Was he just not utilized offensively?

let down spot- had no energy... ibaka and perk had energy and outplayed him... nothing special that either did...

True with the draft picks - however Pierce is a FA and KG will retire.., then the big contracts are Deron and JJ only 2 more years after this.....always a team out there that will take on a big contract if the return is right - deron isnt doing himself any favors they way he is playing but he is only 29.. and jj is 32 - could be a nice veteran on a team that thinks they are close - there is also the amnesty and then go out and try to sign a big name free agent..

Then you got the mad russian with deep pockets where anything can happen if you want to pay the tax...

refs tonight for each game?

wiz/pacers - over or under tendencies?

Clipps/okc - over or under tendencies ?

Take Big Boy Roy's performance away in game 2, pacers get smoked. Still debating tonight's matchup.. which Indy team decides to play tonight? Hard to go by trends when you never know what Indy team decides to show up. Their inconsistencies are hard to overlook. Washington and their bench may shoot lights out tonight, but with washington as a home fav and their subpar performance ATS as home as a home fav is also hard to ignore. Still thinking....

Home teams undefeated under Tony Brothers whistle in the playoffs with a +17 points differential.

Washington has trailed @half-time once in 7 games.

Indiana has led @half-time twice in 9 games (has not led @half-time in 7 non-elimination games).

Too bad that both road teams won tonight. Was hoping they lose, so that I can take them big in Game 4.

just curious, have there ever been a playoff, where in Round 2, all road teams have won Game 3?

I think that Nets and Portland have a fighting chance.

Portland has a great home court, with cheering fans and SAS struggled there.

Nets don't have that, but they are better team than Portland and at home, with their backs to the wall, can try and bring some life in to this series.

Miami has won 2 straight ATS on the road
Since the end of the 1st month of the season, Miami has only once won 3 straight ATS on the road (3rd win was Mar. 29th vs. Milwaukee, who challenged them to the degree of scoring 67 pts). Maimi has not won 3 straight ATS on the road this season when all 3 games were against teams w/winning records (covers 6 instances of such scheduling arising).

Miami has won 4 straight ATS
Miami has only once won 5 straight ATS this season (5th win was Apr. 2nd vs. Milwaukee, who challenged them to the degree of scoring 77 pts).

Fwiw, Miami is 4-9 SU in their last 13 games decided by 5 pts or less (dates back into the reg. season).

Miami has looked (reffing help aside) pretty comfortable in winning 4 straight by 11+ pts, so the squares must be near entering that zone of getting complacent about blindly backing the current 2-time champs. I don't believe they'll sweep the Nets, but I'll stick to live betting for Game 3 over starting a 2 game chase.

On paper it should be home wins without a doubt. But since I believe in both Indiana and Thunder in their series (and took both of them to win the series after Game 1), I just can't bring myself to fade them, especially laying 5 points on top of that.
Indiana since Game 6 in the first round, seems to have turned the corner on defense.
Wizards shot the ball amazingly well in Game 1 and won and that made it appear as if it's not the case, but a lot of those shots were contested and Games 2 and 3 brought Wizards back to their proportions.

As for the Thunder, many already have mentioned the MVP speech of Durant and while I don't think that you can attribute great players playing great to this speech only, it really fueled up the team and for a good team, all you need is a little bit of spark...

Mo williams out is a shame because his defense is atrocious and his shot selection is worse, though he was good for some points but his injury the last 2 games was good for the spurs offense..Earl watson don;t know too much about but do know he is a lot taller and is much more an assist man than a scorer..really dont know how tblazers have a chance to slow the spurs down unless they do it themselves...

home team in the playoffs against a line between -1 and +1 with a total of 200 or more after playing the previous game away:

SU:2-9 (-8.36, 18.2%)
ATS:2-9-0 (-8.45, 18.2%) avg line: -0.1
O/U:1-10-0 (-15.18, 9.1%) avg total: 211.7

<tbody>
</tbody>

trend found on sportsdatabase.com

Line movement with Mo out, given the bench is the Blazers biggest weakness is rather telling, imo...

Indiana is 4-0 to Under on the road (and 7-3 to Under overall) in the playoffs.

Washington's 22 pt Game 3 loss ended a 9-2 SU/10-1 ATS run (SU losses by 4 & 3 pts) - the usual rule for when a long streak of good form is finally punctured by a bad loss, is the next poor result usually isn't long in coming. That was the Wiz's biggest margin loss since Jan 10th's 27 pt loss @Indy. The Wiz only have 2 other 20+ pt losses this season: 27 pts @Minny, and 20 pts @Indy. 75% of their 20+ pt losses this season against the team they're down 1-2 to in this series? Not a good omen.

-----

LAC is 5-0 to Over @home (and 7-3 to Over overall) in the playoffs. Funnily enough, they're 7-0 to Over @home L7 dating back to the reg. season: their last home Under? a 107-101 loss to none other than OKC.

Since Jan. 24th, OKC is 1-8 ATS off 2 ATS wins in their previous 2 games (sole win @home vs. Nawlins).

Good stuff. I think you have to separate OKC's ATS results by favorite and underdog though. Simply because of how they have performed when given points this season: 8-2 SU as the dog since Dec 21.

That 80% SU winning percentage as the underdog since that (cherry-picked) date is the best in the NBA. The second-best is the Wizards who went 17-15 SU as the underdog (53.1%) since then.

I took both dogs tonight.

I thought about tonight's games and I really think that Game 3 shown the real difference between the teams in both series.

Oklahoma and Indiana just on another level than LAC and Wizards.

Rare In-Game Comeback(s):

The Los Angeles Clippers in Game 4 of their NBA Quarterfinals series against visiting Oklahoma City trailed by 17 points after one quarter, 11 points at halftime, and 12 points after three quarters, but won the game. In the history of best-of-7 NBA playoff games prior to this one, home teams down 17 after one quarter had a 1-4 (.200) game record, home teams down 11 at halftime had a 9-24 (.273) game record, and home teams down a dozen after three quarters had only a 2-26 (.071) game record.

Unprecedented In-Game Comeback:

The Indiana Pacers trailed Game 4 of their own NBA Quarterfinals series against the Wizards in Washington by 17 points at halftime. In the history of best-of-7 NBA playoff games prior to this one, road teams down 17 points at halftime had a game record of 0-33 (.000); so it is that the Indiana comeback victory in Game 4 in Washington was without NBA precedent.

Lebron is calling out his coach/team... saying he wants James Jones to play more... earlier too

Jones sucks defensively so the nets should be able to exploit him if James does get his way

NEW YORK -- It’s not usual for LeBron James to question Erik Spoelstra’s coaching decisions, at least not publicly. James has built up tremendous respect for the Miami Heat coach and consistently credits him for his strategies.

But James did send a little message to his coach heading into the Heat’s Game 4 against the Brooklyn Nets. James wants to play more with James Jones, the Heat’s little-used but valuable sweet shooting wing.

James and Jones have been the Heat’s most productive tandem in the playoffs when looking at plus/minus data. But after playing a significant role in the first round against the Charlotte Bobcats, Jones has been out of the rotation in the three games so far against the Nets.

“We have to find some minutes for him, I don’t see why he shouldn’t play,” James said. “He’s huge for our team when he’s in the lineup.”

Jones is 10-of-20 on 3-pointers in the playoffs and he and James complement each other well on the floor. Because Jones is an elite spot-up shooter, James likes to play on the same side of the floor and force defenses to choose between the two. When playing together in the playoffs, Jones and James have combined to shoot 56 percent from the field.

Spoelstra has not used Jones much over the past two seasons, mostly for defensive reasons as he sometimes struggles on that end. James, though, always is more comfortable when playing with shooters, one of the reasons Ray Allen has been such a good fit with the Heat over the past two seasons.

“The space James provides and his ability to shoot the ball is great for us,” James said. “You can’t do both when he’s out on the floor. You can’t help on my drives and contest 3-pointers on him. They have to keep an eye on him.”

Jones came in for nine minutes in garbage time in the fourth quarter of the Nets’ Game 3 victory on Saturday after the Heat were down by double digits, his first extended time in the series. He drilled three 3-pointers in that stretch, two of them off feeds from James.

James’ hints that he wants more of that suggests he’s taken his pleas for Jones to play more meaningful minutes directly to Spoelstra. But the Heat coaches were playing coy when asked about lineup changes before Game 4.

“We’ll find out,” Spoelstra said.

The Heat coach is more concerned about his defense than his offensive-based lineups. The Heat gave up more than 100 points for the first time in the playoffs in Game 3, mostly because the Nets set a franchise playoff record by hitting 15 3-pointers. That is what Spoelstra focused on Monday, trying to get the Heat to not write that off as a fluke shooting performance.

“It’s always an easy crutch in this league [to blame lucky shooting],” Spoelstra said. “You have to decipher what can you do better and harder and then within a seven-game series, what can you adjust. It was tough to figure out what adjustments you need to make in Game 3 when you don’t bring other things that are necessary to our defense first."

The lighting in Barclays Arena is amazing for shooters... hence why the nets shooting is so much better at home.

thought this was pretty cool

ca8e3ce0ab3a8a42ece768d9a7b9a03e_crop_north.png

Back