Game 2 of the second round - NBA discussion thread

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 934"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL BASKETBALL - THU 5/8[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Thu 5/8[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]713[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Brooklyn Nets[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+8 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 4.260[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 192 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]04:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]714[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Miami Heat[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-8 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 1.267[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 192 2.000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Thu 5/8[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]715[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Portland Trail Blazers [/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+7 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"] 3.480[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 207 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]06:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]716[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]San Antonio Spurs[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-7 2.000[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"] 1.357[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 207 2.000[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Both home teams ATS and ML parlay + Under in Indiana. Can't see this going worse then 2 - 2 or 3 - 1.

As bad as Indy has been...
- they have not lost consecutively played home games SU all season long.
- they are 5-0 SU & ATS off their L5 SU losses (a streak that naturally stretches back into the reg. season)
- their SU/ATS sequence for home playoff games is a clear zig-zag: L-W-L-W-L-?

Washington has won (SU & ATS) 7 straight road games (obv. dating back into the reg. season), after managing "only" a 19-19 SU road record before this current streak started. In their 7 road games prior to this current streak, they went 2-5 SU & 1-6 ATS. In the long run Wash. may be a better team than Indy & end up winning this series based on that fact, but statistically they're spoiling for a road loss (predicated on the simple fact they're a long term average road team outside of their current streak, playing at a venue where in the reg. season they twice got hammered by 20+ pts, having had rest before both fixtures).

After their 1st Round effort, I don't trust Indy but in this bounce back spot for them I can't trust a .500 road team currently in over their heads re consistency of road performances. You can expect consistency on the road in the NBA from elite teams, but in a non-elite one making it's first playoff appearance in 6 years? Pass. As it stands, this is the game that defines Indy's longterm trustworthiness for me. Wash had rest prior to Game 1, vs. Indy coming off having to win 2 straight elim games (much like OKC). Since their game 1 loss can be forgiven on that basis (like OKC's), it's not necessarily an omen for where this series is headed (as OKC's isn't). Game 2's result defines how meaningful their comeback vs. Atlanta was: a decent win here = that comeback might just have been for real (their early season selves might actually be stirring, as a hypothetical Game 2 win would go to further evidencing). Another SU loss = Atlanta was a smoke & mirrors job, the Hawks just weren't good enough to turn Indy's cracks into gaping holes, where (in this hypothetical instance) Wash. will have done.

If I had any trust of Indy, I'd make a rare pre-game ATS bet. As it stands, since I believe where Indy goes their D goes, I'll look for early signs of their bouncing back, and if so then I'd expect this game to be the one to end the playoff's current 8 game Over streak, and see if I can grab a live total line not much below the FG line.

Roy Hibbert's disappearing act is wearing thin in Indianapolis.

Pacers fans are so angry, they want him benched or traded. Critics have made Hibbert the target of jokes. Teammates are desperately trying to coax their All-Star center out of his funk, and even ultra-positive coach Frank Vogel knows it's time for Hibbert to start playing big.

The Pacers need it now, in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, more than ever.

''We tell Roy all the time how much we're going to need him in this series and this playoff run,'' Paul George said Tuesday. ''You know it's up to Roy to just come through and deliver for us.''

Lately, the 7-foot-2, 290-pound veteran hasn't been able to do much.

In the seven-game series against Atlanta, Hibbert averaged 5.3 points and 3.7 rebounds and shot just 37.2 percent from the field. His minutes dwindled from 30 in Game 1 to 12 1/2 in Game 6. The runner-up for the league's defensive player of the year award didn't even have a block until Game 4. And for the first time in his playoff career, he finished Game 6 with no points and no rebounds.

Somehow, the Pacers still managed to tie the series, and in Game 7, the old Hibbert returned with 13 points, seven rebounds and five blocks as the Pacers beat Atlanta 92-80. That performance brought back the cheers and rekindled hope that Hibbert had finally exorcised his demons.

Monday night's poor performance against Washington showed everyone that Game 7 was merely an anomaly.

Again, Hibbert got into early foul trouble against the Wizards, missed his only two shots, and got pushed around by the smaller Marcin Gortat. He finished with no points and no rebounds in a 102-96 Game 1 loss and afterward was pulled aside by some of his teammates. On Tuesday, Hibbert promised to be more effective Wednesday night.

''I'll just try to be a little more aggressive on both ends and just not be content with letting their guards and forwards get defensive rebounds,'' Hibbert said. ''I've got to do a good job putting a body on Nene and Gortat, so I'm just going to go out there and pursue.''

What's wrong?

Nobody, including Hibbert, has been able to pinpoint the problem, though it's not the first time he has endured something like this.

After Indiana matched Portland's four-year, $58 million offer in the summer of 2012, Hibbert had an abysmal first half of the season. As the struggles wore on, Pacers fans increasingly questioned whether the team made the right move. Some even linked the big contract to Hibbert's struggles, suggesting Indiana's biggest player cared more about getting his money than winning a title.

The truth was Hibbert cared too much about living up to the price tag and eventually got caught thinking too much on the court rather than just reacting to the game.

Now it seems to be happening all over again.

"I have never seen anything like it," Pacers TV analyst Quinn Bucker told Fox Sports Radio's Steve Gorman SPORTS! "I know he’s very capable. It’s probably more likely with big people because they have a very sensitive psyche. I know the team has tried to rally around him but I have never seen anything quite like this. He is a terrific guy and a sensitive man.

"I think to that degree and one of the challenges when you play professional sports or you do anything at a very high level is you’ve got to be able to manage your sensitivity or they will start to control you. I think Roy is having some kind of problem with that by not playing well and just being beaten down.

"I think he has a hard time from removing himself from what I would consider media outside chatter between media inside chatter about what you do for your team. I think he is having a hard time trying to balance those two."

Of course, the Wizards figured out how to prevent that in Game 1.

Gortat finished with 12 points and 15 rebounds on a night the Wizards held a commanding 53-36 advantage on the glass and a 19-5 edge in second-chance points.

''We try to make sure none of their bigs are going to catch the ball in the paint easily, try to make their life a little bit harder and miserable,'' Gortat said.

Hibbert's job is to find a way to change that, and teammates and coaches are convinced he will.

''I think mentally he wants to do more,'' Vogel said. ''He's giving maximum effort, and he's going to continue to study (film) to see how he can be more productive.

''If Roy Hibbert is on the court,'' Vogel added, ''it's because I think he can help us win the next possession in that stretch of that game and help us win that game.''

there are rumors that Georgze would have fucked/slept with Hibbert's girlfriend that could explain hibbert loss of focus on the court. One of his team mate lance stephenson would have joked during a training session in front of all the team by unveiling the matter "hey , you should keep an eye on Roy, he is out of his mind since he learnt that george f**** his girlfriend", which caused a dispute with Evan turner who was unhappy to see this "story" revealed

So what will vogel do?
Time to coach time for some X's and O's..
he needs some size vs. Gortat and Nene so he really can't (or could he) bench Hibbert. then who? mahinmi then after him they have to go small - don't think the pacers are built to run with the wiz kids..

this is exactly what happened vs. Hawks however Hawks had no size and had to play that way plus they had success - so What has changed for Indy?

seriously curious what the fuk is wrong with Hibbert.

sports history is littered with exceptionally talented athletes that did not have the mental fortitude to withstand big time competition.....roy hibbert is exhibiting all the signs

there are rumors that Georgze would have fucked/slept with Hibbert's girlfriend that could explain hibbert loss of focus on the court. One of his team mate lance stephenson would have joked during a training session in front of all the team by unveiling the matter "hey , you should keep an eye on Roy, he is out of his mind since he learnt that george f**** his girlfriend", which caused a dispute with Evan turner who was unhappy to see this "story" revealed

That's just dumb I believe.
If I had to choose one player that Hibbert gets along with the best on the team, it's PG. They really always had each other's backs, high fiving and everything.

It's pretty clear that Hibbert doesn't like Stephenson too much (I think), but that's all about basketball...

That's just dumb I believe. If I had to choose one player that Hibbert gets along with the best on the team, it's PG. They really always had each other's backs, high fiving and everything. It's pretty clear that Hibbert doesn't like Stephenson too much (I think), but that's all about basketball...
Makes perfect sense, everything about him is opposite of the team. Emotional, volatile, immature, erratic. I hate when I see him over dribbling from the three point line, head down, you know hes not going to pass. Driving from half court through three people. I know he has tremendous athletic talent but he needs to be closer to the paint. I wish Vogel would sit him. I would wish George to take every single possesion instead of lance. I really think he is the problem. He might get streaky but he is a chemistry buster.

The freakin Thunder, man. I want to back them so bad. Check it out though. In game 2 of the playoffs at home: 3-3 SU and 0-6 ATS versus the Mavs, Lakers, Heat, Rockets, and Grizzlies (2x). That is going back to the 2012 playoffs. How the fuck do you back that.

All of those games came after Thunder won game 1 though.

The freakin Thunder, man. I want to back them so bad. Check it out though. In game 2 of the playoffs at home: 3-3 SU and 0-6 ATS versus the Mavs, Lakers, Heat, Rockets, and Grizzlies (2x). That is going back to the 2012 playoffs. How the fuck do you back that.

All of those games came after Thunder won game 1 though.

That's the key. It's almost an auto-play on the higher seed off a home loss and playing again at home in the playoffs, unless they are totally outmatched by their opponent. Which they're not.

I'm rolling w/ you guys on the Thunder bro. I keep thinking about what they did to San Antonio in that building a few weeks ago. Thunder are strong and I'm proud to be backing them. Last game was a function of short notice coming off of game 7 with no prep time. Cheers fellas.

:cheers:

Tonight I will probably be on Nets ATS (this time full game and not HT) and probably again Over in SA, though not sure if SA team's total or overall.

I think that both teams reacted well to the first game and said all the right things. But, still... It's Nets turn to react and they are more than capable to do so. Heat really waited for a long time to get their next rival and I'm 99% sure they wanted the Nets, so that people wouldn't be saying that if they gotten Nets... They wouldn't have made it past them.

They exploded on them in Game 1 and now Heat should be a bit more relaxed and will look at it as regular playoff game.
I doubt Nets can pull an upset, but they should be ready to go toe to toe here.
If I had to choose between a blowout win for the Heat or ML win for the Nets, I would have picked the second option option.

As for the Over in SA, I just can't see who can stop the Spurs from averaging 110 points at home against Portland, other than Spurs themselves.
Portland plays high tempo game with mediocre offense. As long as Spurs shoot their shots, it will be one sided series throughout...

Not so fast...

Steve 'Money Talks' Stevens on the Heat.

Dude is Lang on steroids, think he's 9-27 or thereabouts on his releases.

Back