G-Man's College Bowl Games For Saturday. 12-22-2007

G-Man

Pretty much a regular
Lots of opinions on these games today that differ with what I like. I see that many of these "trend handicappers" have elimated the facts that matter. Mainly that they point out that Cincinnati has lost all three games that they had a combined 5 turnovers in.

I cap differently - in that - those factors in a loss, are more important than the fact that they did lose.

Whats truly important here, is what was the margin of points in those losses. In one game the Bearcats had 4 turnovers to none (0) of the opponent. That was against Louisville, a non-bowler. But the score was 24-28. In spite of the 4 turnovers the Bearcats still out-gained them.

Cincy's next loss was against Pitt. Another non-bowler. Three Cincy turnovers to 1 for Pitt. Final score >17-24. a true loss as Pitt out-gained Cincy in that game. Most of the damage was on the ground as Pitt ran for 260 yards.

The 3rd loss was to West Virgina, a top ranked Bowler that was in the hunt for the National Championship. They also were out-gained by WV 435 to 407. But thats not surprising, as WV out-ganed every bowl-eligible team (7) this season. Still it was a good game as Cincy only lost by 5 with a 23-28 score.

The only way for Cincy to lose today and not cover is to score less than they did in those 3 losses of 23,17, and 24 points. I see them scoring at least 40 today and S.Miss will not be around long IMO. That Bearcat defense is also under rated and will do the job today.

Cincinnati -10.5. (5 Units) LOSS

New Mexico -3 over Nevada.
Loss of their starting RB shouldnt stop this team from winning a bowl game at home today. Nevada is a good opponent but no match today for the Lobo's.
NM has faced some good opposition in BYU and only lost by 7 points after giving up 5 turnovers to the Cougars.

Nevada had a great game against Hawaii as they almost won the game with a 26-28 loss. Thats what is giving them too much credit here, as they were outgained 430-350 at home. Hawaii isnt great on the road so that score is also somewhat misleading IMO.

New Mexico. -3. (4 Units) WON

BYU -6.5 over UCLA. This game is going to be decided by the two defenses and turnovers. Turnovers is what UCLA does best - thats a negative for them. BYU has had their share of turnovers as well, but they are solid enough on offense to overcome them, as they still had 10 wins and in almost every game they were sloppy by losing the turnover margin. UCLA cant afford that against an opponent that can score.

Cougars -6.5. (8 Units) LOSS Added 3 more units as 3rd string QB is starting for UCLAter

I have a gift for you guys that send me a Private Message (PM) with your email address. I'll send it to anyone who sends me a message by tomorrow. Its just stats, but formatted in a good way to cap with. You must be able to open a PDF file to see it.
\
\

GLTA...

Last edited:
G-man, you're one of my favorite cappers on this site because the methodology you use to cap games makes terrific sense to me.

I really like Cincy because I've watched mediocre defenses like UCF and Arkansas State smother S. Miss. I saw a horrendous Memphis D hold them to 300 yards total offense. Cincy is too athletic and should create multiple TO's vs. S. Miss' one dimensional offense.

I like BYU because of the motivation/revenge factor. They outplayed UCLA in the first matchup and they've gotten better each week. UCLA has gone the other direction and shot their wad a couple weeks ago trying to stay with USC.

Your liking New Mexico because of how they played BYU in September is a headscratcher to me, however. Since that game, they've done the following in their last 7 games...Beaten a 4-8 SDSU squad in a game the Aztecs lead in the 4th quarter. They were down in the fourt quarter to Air Force, a game the Falcons gave away with 5 lost fumbles only to lose by 3. They were humiliated in a 37-0 loss at TCU gaining 117 total yards. Then, the Lobos were outyardaged at home in a 3 point win over a 3-9 CSU team. Then spanked by Utah in a 28-10 road loss. And finally got a marginally impressive win at home beating a 2-10 UNLV team.

Like I said, I like the other two games and have made money tailing your games over the last couple years, but the New Mexico game doesn't make sense to me. Oh, and I mean no offense whatsoever, hopefully you don't take it that way.

G-man, you're one of my favorite cappers on this site because the methodology you use to cap games makes terrific sense to me.

I really like Cincy because I've watched mediocre defenses like UCF and Arkansas State smother S. Miss. I saw a horrendous Memphis D hold them to 300 yards total offense. Cincy is too athletic and should create multiple TO's vs. S. Miss' one dimensional offense.

I like BYU because of the motivation/revenge factor. They outplayed UCLA in the first matchup and they've gotten better each week. UCLA has gone the other direction and shot their wad a couple weeks ago trying to stay with USC.

Your liking New Mexico because of how they played BYU in September is a headscratcher to me, however. Since that game, they've done the following in their last 7 games...Beaten a 4-8 SDSU squad in a game the Aztecs lead in the 4th quarter. They were down in the fourt quarter to Air Force, a game the Falcons gave away with 5 lost fumbles only to lose by 3. They were humiliated in a 37-0 loss at TCU gaining 117 total yards. Then, the Lobos were outyardaged at home in a 3 point win over a 3-9 CSU team. Then spanked by Utah in a 28-10 road loss. And finally got a marginally impressive win at home beating a 2-10 UNLV team.

Like I said, I like the other two games and have made money tailing your games over the last couple years, but the New Mexico game doesn't make sense to me. Oh, and I mean no offense whatsoever, hopefully you don't take it that way.

Appreciate the input. No offense taken in regards to the New Mexico game.

They were my selection because they gave up only 31 points to BYU, 31 to AF, 28 to Utah and 37 to TCU. All of which are far better than Nevada, and NM will fare a lot better on the scoreboard today against Nevada, I believe. With that logic, I see the 3 as too small to not cover and they should win by 7-10 IMO. It doesnt mean Im right, but it sure seems like I could be.

2 out of 3 bro, GL!

Got beat on a 58 yard bomb in the Utah mess - and now lose to a 1/2 point because Cincy decides to throw for a TD late for an int, that should have been a fg? Frustrating...Should be 3-0??? not 1-2. Oh well, thats why they call it gambling.

Lets hope NewMexico holds up...

G - yeah that Cincy loss was tough man, had them -4 in the 2H too...really got fucked there good!

Been on all these plays as well. Upping my unit size for bowl season has not treated me well.

Also chasing on BYU....this'll probably come back to bite me in the ass.

Been on all these plays as well. Upping my unit size for bowl season has not treated me well.

Also chasing on BYU....this'll probably come back to bite me in the ass.

My ass is bleeding too... What a dog bite that was...

Back