Futures & Week 1

D-Woww

Old Man Dan
I will post some analysis and maybe a blog link soon, I just wanted to get these out there

rams +3500 to win SB
Steelers +180 to make playoffs
panthers u 8.5 wins -160

Week 1:

Saints -1
TB +1
Dallad/SF o 50
Denver -0.5/Bears pk teaser

might add one or two

rams? why? gl.

From the blog (I did not post the preseason wagers link but I will for the week one)

Let me clarify one thing before you decide that a wager like this is worthy of you never reading another word that I write: I do not think that the Rams are going to win this year’s Super Bowl. What I do think, however, is that they are tremendously undervalued, and have quietly put together a solid roster that is easily better than teams that have made the playoffs in years past. Yet their odds are still sky high with the other teams that have a reputation for being terrible. It is important to remember, this is not a bet that banks on STL winning it all. The goal is for them to make the playoffs, and then potentially hedge this wager by betting against them. Of course, this depends on the opponent, but if this team makes the playoffs we can at least guarantee ourselves a hefty profit. I think they have a good chance to do just that.

Along with having an elite front seven and a defense that could crack the overall top 8, the Rams have a very intriguing offense. NFL offenses today are all about the quarterback, and granted, Sam Bradford is a huge wild card. However, I am not ready to say that he “sucks.” It feels like it was ages ago that Bradford backed up his enormous rookie contract by putting together a very good season in 2010. Since then, it has been downhill, but injuries and lack of weapons have something to do with that. Now that he has a legitimate NFL offense, it is not crazy to think he could be average. Remember, Rex Grossman, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer have all played in Super Bowls this century.

Now back to those weapons, I don’t think I am wrong to be fairly excited about this offense. The 1-2 running back punch of Zac Stacy and Tre Mason could actually be not just above average, but dynamic. The WR corps is led by Kenny Britt, who despite the fact that it feels like he entered the league with Randy Moss, is only 25 years old, healthy, reunited with the coach that brought out past success in him, and for the time being, not in jail. Tavon Austin is one of a handful of NFL players who is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Brian Quick and Steadman Bailey (after the first four games) have upside, and Chris Givens, who once looked like the Rams future at WR, is now the fifth option. I see a lot to like with this group.

The biggest challenge for the Rams is the fact that they play in the toughest division in football. While it is not uncommon for surprise teams to come out of nowhere to make the playoffs, such a thing doesn’t usually happen in a stacked division. I don’t see Seattle having too much of a decline after their Super Bowl winning season. Their home field advantage guarantees them at LEAST seven wins off the bat, and this team is loaded enough to be just fine on the road. I am fine with admitting that they are not going anywhere.

After that though, I think a lot more is up in the air than most people. I am not too scared of the Cardinals, as their record was somewhat misleading last season. I see them as an 8-8 team, not a 10 or 11 win team. And crazy as it may sound, I am not too worried about San Francisco. It has not been a good offseason for that team, and now they are dealing with injury issues at the running back position and throughout their defense. I do not think they are the Super Bowl contender that many others predict them to be. Even if they do not fall out of the picture, it is possible for three teams from a division to make it.

Again, I am not saying that my prediction is that the Rams win the Super Bowl, but the 35 to 1 odds that were put out are highly inaccurate, and that is how you make money with future bets; spot the inaccurate line and pounce on it. The Rams may be a long shot, but not as long as that line indicated.

I agree with your assessment of SF. This team made it to the SB and NFC Champ the last 2 seasons - that's a lot of football (with no ring to show for it) and would not be surprised if they had an off year.

I agree with your assessment of SF. This team made it to the SB and NFC Champ the last 2 seasons - that's a lot of football (with no ring to show for it) and would not be surprised if they had an off year.

Don't forget 2011. They've made the last 3 NFC Champ games.

SF could be well set to do what their mirror image in the mlb is doing - The Tigers are off 3 straight visits to the AL Champ series (& a WS visit in '12), and are starting to show the inevitable signs of mental fatigue after looking sure for a 4th straight p.s. visit just up until a little while ago.

Back