FSU @ UL - thoughts...

PokeyFSU

Pretty much a regular
I don't post much - mostly because I don't have the time - but I need to get some thoughts down for this game before I wager on it. I've seen another thread somewhere on here with regards to this game, but I am, admittedly, doing this for my own good... and I hope that breaking this down will help me win (or save) some money.

I don't think there's any doubt that we are more talented than Louisville, on both sides of the ball. But defensively, we have some issues. I can't quite put my finger on it, though. It could be that Kelly just simply isn't anywhere near Jeremy Pruitt's class as DC. Our D-Line is extremely talented, but they aren't very fast - and we have played some pretty solid mobile QB's. Watson, my god, that kid has the talent and composure to be special. But it feels like Kelly's only answer to that type of QB has been to be overly aggressive with corner-blitzes, and we just aren't executing very well. Just schematically, something is off. Where's Charlie Weiss when you need him. Another note: it just feels like we are out-coached and less prepared every week. Then we fix shit at halftime, Jameis and Rashad Greene put us on their back and we score nearly every time we touch the ball in the 2h. Another note: We have the best kicker on the planet, and he could be a huge factor in this game. If we don't turn it over inside the 35, we are going to score points.

Offensively - it's hard to acknowledge but easy to see, our offensive line is just flat out overrated. 4-5 seniors and a RS Fr, you would expect to be one of the better units in the land, but we get our asses kicked at the LOS every week. Don't let the Karlos Williams news affect how you see the game. Dalvin Cook is great, and if there's one place we can afford injuries it's at RB.

With regards to the actual match up tomorrow night - I'm not buying into last week's Michael Dyer resurrection. NCSt is god awful, and if we played them again we would beat the living shit out of them. It's not often you see a team catch so many breaks and have so many terrible decisions result in huge plays (I'm looking at you, Jacoby Brissett) and they still lost by damn near 20. Back to my point though - Louisville's offense is still not good, in my opinion, and Michael Dyer running for 173 against NCSt means very little to my capping of this game. Gardner isn't going to beat us with his legs, and I expect our D-Line to be able to hold their own without us having to get creative. I think this is a huge factor, obviously, because despite their talent on the defensive side of the ball, Louisville is going to have to at least score in the mid/high 20's to cover.

I guess to answer my own doubts about our defense... I don't think that Louisville will have the same type of success keeping our D on the field as our recent opponents have. What I worry about, however, is getting down in the 1h (like we have every game) and this time being on the road on a Thursday night against a capable defense. When we were down to Clemson, we were at least at home, and they shit the bed (granted, no Winston). Same with ND. We got down early, but we were at home and stayed composed. At NCSt, we were down 18 I think, but their defense is horrible. If this happens at Louisville tomorrow night, it will be interesting to see what happens. To our credit, we have played from behind a shit ton with Jameis under center, and the kid has been nothing short of outstanding.

Louisville hasn't faced an offense anywhere near what we should bring to the table. I really wish Deshaun Watson would have played the entire game vs. Louisville, but I kind of think his absence is what brings some value this line as it currently sits. He is a difference maker, and if Clemson wins that game by 17-ish, the general perception of Louisville may be a shade different than what it is now... Maybe not.

I have a strong lean to FSU -4. To play devil's advocate... if you bet on Louisville, they have to score first. As I have seen time and time again, we have done nothing to show we can come out prepared and dominate a game. Even in our 43-3 win over Wake, I think we were down 3-0 or 7-0 after the 1Q. But even if the ville can score first, I don't think they can sustain enough drives to keep the lead. Maybe they play inspired, maybe the HFA on a Thursday night can keep them in it... But I really don't trust Will Gardner to hang on to a lead even if they get it. If you are inclined bet Louisville, the first half seems like the obvious choice over the whole game. And vice versa for FSU. I haven't placed a bet yet, but thought I should get all my thoughts down first so I can go through them a few times. Hope this helps others as well. Apologies for the longevity.

Great thoughts. I'd like to point you in the direction of Featherston & Matthew Thomas. They should have big games defensively vs a bad Ville OL. Also I'd expect Jalen Ramsey to be disruptive. Pressure on Gardner & long 3rd downs put the ball back in Jameis' hands.

Great thoughts. I'd like to point you in the direction of Featherston & Matthew Thomas. They should have big games defensively vs a bad Ville OL. Also I'd expect Jalen Ramsey to be disruptive. Pressure on Gardner & long 3rd downs put the ball back in Jameis' hands.

Featherston is a freak. He's been paramount to our pass rush this year of the edge, as he and Ramsey (a DB, for those of you who don't follow FSU that closely) have literally been our biggest presence in the opponent backfield this year. Last year our D-Line was so good we didn't have to get too creative defensively with blitz packages until the National Championship game. I kind of feel like we will get back to that base D tonight with a non-mobile QB on the other side for a change. We've also had an extra week to prepare for this one, which came at a great time in my opinion. The ACC isn't as down as all the SEC fans/apologists/lobbiests (I don't know what they are anymore... a cult maybe? SEC Fans and Crossfit enthusiasts kind of seem like a match made in heaven).

I guess what I'm getting at is, I think we actually come out prepared for a game for once. Our offense is going to get theirs, and this should be a game that we win at the LOS defensively without putting our secondary in compromising positions. As of right now, I am seeing a 3.5 at my book. If it stays there for a bit, I will likely buy it to 3. I think I read someone in another thread say, if it opened at 3, I would have hammered it. But the movement scares me. Guess that's why I'm forcing myself to look at this every way possible.

Have you considered playing FSU team total? Don't see them winning without four TDs.

I have, and I did. My plays for the night:

TT o27 (-110) to win 3u
FSU -3 (-130) to win 4u
FSU -3 (-135) to win 7u

I just don't see this game playing out the way it would need to for UL to stay in the game. But I'm also not much of a situational bettor, nor do I think the atmosphere will affect us much, offensively.

I can't help but just look at what Jameis has done in every big game that we have played in his time at FSU. The 2h of Notre Dame, The 2h of OKSt (that was basically a road game), Auburn last year, the ACC championship, vs then #7 Miami last year, at Clemson last year.... The man is a gamer. I expect him to get his, and like I've discussed above... I don't think Louisville can exploit our defense and keep them on the field like some other teams have this year.

It's weird, because I feel like I did, but feel lucky at the same time. I don't doubt we are the better team. We played a base nickel D and I don't think we blitzed our DB's all night - which is rare, based on our last 8 games or so. The turnovers were unexpected. But as usual the 1h was horrible, and we dominated the 2h.

It was encouraging to see our D-line actually get a push at the LOS, which was huge against a below avg QB that needs time in the pocket to be successful. It just feels like we spend the whole 1h feeling out the game every week instead of being proactive from the get-go. This will bite us in the ass at some point this year. Hopefully we figure things out sooner than later. I know if I were backing UofL tonight, I would not be happy. And with money on FSU, I feel pretty fortunate.

biggest challenge will be nov 15 I think ... looks like mostly clean sailing. Maybe GT if they win the coastal or Miami fl again if they win the coastal but otherwise I don't see trouble.

Back