Friday's CFB...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Should be an interesting game tonight in northeast Oklahoma when Tulsa entertains top-five Oklahoma, who travels up the Turner Turnpike for the two hour trip to Skelly Stadium.

The Sooners opened up 20-point favorites, but were quickly bet up to 23 on Monday, with the total diving to 67 or 67.5 when it was released Tuesday.

Each team is unbeaten. Oklahoma has feasted on North Texas, Miami and Utah State in its first three - as each were overmatched on both sides of the ball. Miami was bogged down by woeful quarterback play on offense; the other two were just overwhelmed. Tulsa's defense should have its hands full, but that won't be the case on offense.

The Hurricane opened with a win in Monroe against one of the Sun Belt's best teams before beating a solid BYU team at home last week. The Cougars never figured out new Tulsa offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn's hurry-up, no-huddle offense, which through two games is piling up yards and averaging 45 points a game. The gadgetry and misdirection that BYU
coach Mendenhall complained about ... well, that isn't anything Tulsa drummed up for the Cougars.

That's Gus Malzahn's offense. He wrote the book (no, really, he did write a book) on the hurry-up, no-huddle offense while a head coach, piling up state high school championships in Arkansas. The Razorbacks wanted no part of this offense in the SEC, but new Tulsa head coach Todd Graham, who is known more for what he can accomplish on the defensive side of the ball, embraced it.

In watching last week's tape, Tulsa lined up in formations that made it possible for a reverse on almost every play, with wide receivers routinely circling the backfield. Linebacker Chris Chamberlain appeared in the backfield, taking a direct snap against BYU and running for 9 yards on play. Backup quarterback David Johnson, wearing No. 28 for the BYU game, fired a 36-yard completion off a reverse from a wide receiver spot.

Scary triggerman Paul Smith lined up at wideout on another play. Smith should be ready. He's a senior now - and was the starter at QB two
years ago when he put Tulsa in position during the fourth quarter to win in Norman. OU was saved in part by two fabulous runs from Adrian Peterson.

The Golden Hurricane are sixth in America in passing offense, at 398.5 yards per game. The Sooners are 11th, at 324 yards per contest. In total offense, Oklahoma ranks third, with 6.3 more yards per game than Tulsa, which checks in fourth.

The problems come on the other side of the ball for Tulsa: The Golden Hurricane allowed 694 yards of total offense to BYU, including 537 yards (!) passing. Last year, Tulsa had a good defense, but this year only 11 schools have allowed more yards per game than the Golden Hurricane.

With a first-year coach and system, sometimes it takes more than two games to get on the same page.

Yes, it was a good win beating BYU last week, but this is a different beast. Tulsa will only keep it close if OU is caught napping (and if the out-of-state players underestimate Tulsa, which hasn't happened many times under Stoops) and if the defense forces some turnovers.

The offense will score, but not enough to give them a chance to win late. Score it 48-33 in favor of the Sooners.

The plays: OVER 67 for a medium bet and Tulsa plus 23 for a medium bet.

GL!

:cheers:

Also, I'm sure you guys got burnt the same way that I did last night with the Miami/ Ayyunem UNDER late. How sick was that? Not an ideal way to get this weekend (traditionally my most profitable one the last seven years) started...

At least we were definately on the right side of that bet. We didn't totally miss the boat. Just a bad beat...

GL

Man, and here I thought we finally had a week where we actually agreed across the board haha. Guess it wouldn't be any fun if we didn't disagree on at least one play each week! Got the Sooners at 19.5 (Sunday of course) so hope the over hits for ya (with the Sooners getting about 60 of those 68 you need for the over to hit haha). Best of luck this weekend bro!

Good Luck tonight Rexy, looks good. About last night though....are you guys forgetting the fact that Miami had 1st and Goal from the 1 and didn't put it over the total then? I think it was sweet justice that it did go over because no way Miami shouldn't have scored a TD there.

Also, I'm sure you guys got burnt the same way that I did last night with the Miami/ Ayyunem UNDER late. How sick was that? Not an ideal way to get this weekend (traditionally my most profitable one the last seven years) started...

Yep, that sucked. Best of luck this weekend.

LJ: I also remember that A&M had one earlier in the game as well - and Miami held them to three, I believe... or maybe they got in. It's all a blur now. I just believe I had the right side and lost it - which is what's happening to me much more than having the wrong side and winning lately...

Thanks CB and Hutch... GL tonight...

:seeya:Wow Rexy, did not expect to see you giving the tulsa Offense more credit than the Sooner Defense. The trickery and untraditional offense that they've run worked in their favor......against BYU and ULMON.
But don't you agree that this style of play can and will blow up right in your face against a more Talented and, more importantly, a more Discilined Defense, which is exactly what they face tonight.
As for the book, thats old news to the D Coord in OK.

DISCILPINE - DEFENSE -
A STRONG MISMATCH when OU has the Ball.

I'm not on the Total on this one but I hope OU runs it for ya.
We all know that Stoops will not stop in the 4th....It's all full speed ahead, pedal to the metal and maybe that will help your Over Play.

Good Health tonite Rexy.

Oh....also, glad that this is just a Medium Play for you.
You kicked ass in your BIG PLAYS last week going 4-1 (I Think??)
but only 3-6 in Med or smaller plays.

I was looking for a 48-15 score in favor of OU, maybe a last minute TD pushes it OVER.

Look forward to your big plays.

Good Luck tonight Rexy, looks good. About last night though....are you guys forgetting the fact that Miami had 1st and Goal from the 1 and didn't put it over the total then? I think it was sweet justice that it did go over because no way Miami shouldn't have scored a TD there.

That was a junk td with :05 left in the ball game....

GL Rex - agree on the over but disagree on the side. I think OU will get some pressure on Smith, and have the secondary which is accomplished enough to come up and bump off the line and disrupt the timing of Tulsa's O.

I like that Tulsa pick Rex, this is the biggest game in Tulsa history, the crowd is going to be insane. I think that BYU win was more impressive considering they weren't looking ahead to this game. BOL

I hope you're right. My damn local has OU -25 and O/U 66.

I want OU, but I would rather lay 23, anyday.

Back