Friday Night Double Pack Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday Night Lights: Memphis-SMU Clash Leads Double Pack on Primetime TV

Friday night’s betting card offers two games, both of which begin at 9 PM ET. Most would expect Memphis and SMU to be the most competitive of the pair. But New Mexico may surprise people as large dogs against Boise State.

Memphis (6-4 SU, 6-4 ATS, 5-4 O/U) at SMU (5-5 SU, 5-5 ATS, 5-5 O/U)

Friday, 9 ET (ESPN 2)

NCAAF Pick: Under 72.5

When oddsmakers set a point total that is this high, bettors aren’t actually making an argument for the „over“ when they point out the strong quality of each offense because that quality is already evident in the total. In order to exceed a high total, offenses need to be more than just good. They need to move the ball quickly down the field because, if they move too slowly, they can score almost as often as they want, but they won’t exceed the total because they will lack sufficient opportunity to do so.

Memphis seems like a strong „over“ candidate because their offense is largely predicated on big plays. The „over“ is a huge public play probably because Memphis ranks in the top 20 in both yards per rush and yards per pass completion. The „over“ has hit when Memphis played Georgia State, South Alabama, and East Carolina, each of whose defenses ranks outside the top 100 in ISO PPP+, a statistic that measures how good a defense is at limiting opposing big plays. The „over“ also hit when Memphis played Missouri and its NFL-caliber quarterback and against Tulsa, the last game in which Memphis clinched bowl eligibility and nudged the game total „over“ with a special teams touchdown and a second touchdown following another big special teams play.

Conversely, Memphis went „under“ against Navy and Tulane, each of which had an insane amount of time of possession thanks to its run-first offense, against U Conn, which hardly scored, and against UCF, which ranks 27th in ISO PPP+. SMU ranks four spots behind UCF in the category. SMU doesn’t allow a lot of big plays on the ground. Its pass defense ranks outside the top 100 in opposing pass completion and in the top 50 in opposing yards per completion because it is inclined to play soft coverage in order to keep the ball in front of it and prevent the big play. SMU’s top defender is NFL-caliber cornerback Jordan Wyatt, who matches up well with Memphis’ top receiver Damonte Coxie in terms of height, size, and speed. Wyatt is listed as „questionable,“ though. He was limping a bit after his last game. His undisclosed injury doesn’t seem serious. But, just in case, you may want to check the injury report before placing your bet.

SMU, unlike Memphis, is not a big-play offense, although it is pass-first. It ranks 93rd in yards per completion. Teams generally try to run against Memphis. The Tigers rank 87th in opposing run play percentage. Memphis boasts a solid secondary that ranks top 50 nationally in terms of opposing passer rating and completion percentage against conference opponents. It is led by safety Josh Perry, who had originally committed to Alabama. SMU games have gone „over“ against a then-underrated Michigan offense, Navy’s option attack, and in three games where the Mustangs produced a ton of points. However, Memphis’ Defensive Coordinator Chad Ball has SMU quarterback Ben Hicks figured out. Hicks had his lowest yardage total in each of the last two seasons against Memphis.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here is another crazy stat regarding Lobo football as we get ready to take on nationally-ranked Boise State on Friday night...<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoLobos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#GoLobos</a> <a href="https://t.co/O7SJj0VS1L">pic.twitter.com/O7SJj0VS1L</a></p>&mdash; New Mexico Football (@UNMLoboFB) <a href=" ">13. November 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Boise State (8-2 SU, 5-4-1 ATS) at New Mexico (3-7 SU, 4-6 ATS)

Friday, 9 ET (CBSSN)

NCAAF Pick: New Mexico +20.5

This is a strong spot for the underdog for two reasons. Firstly, this year, the NCAA established a new rule whereby players are allowed to play in four games and still maintain their redshirt. Boise State coach Bryan Harsin announced that he plans to make ample use of this rule against New Mexico. He wants to feature new faces by giving them playing time plus he wants to fill in gaps left by injuries on the defense. The Broncos have four defensive starters on the injury report plus a defensive lineman who had provided depth by frequently rotating into the game. Secondly, Boise State faces ranked Utah State next week in what promises to constitute an exciting climax to the regular season. Favored by nearly three touchdowns against the Lobos, Boise State is apt to look ahead to its next opponent.

Match-up wise, New Mexico will find success through the air. Quarterback Sheriron Jones has faced two defenses within his conference that rank in the top 20 in opposing passer rating and he played awfully against both. But, he faced three defenses that rank outside the top 90 in the category—Colorado State, UNLV, and Air Force, and threw for combined six touchdowns and one interception against those teams. Boise State ranks 97th in the category. The Broncos’ pass defense is vulnerable to conceding big plays. It ranks 96th in opposing yards per completion. The Lobos have numerous big-play threats like Elijah Lilly with his speed. With their help, they can secure enough points for a cover.

I have not been able to access my college football data base due to my lack of mobility recently but if my memory is correct didn’t the Lobos play Boise real tough the last time at New Mex ? Or the time before that ?

Didn‘t s—k said he was gone this week

No I'm here!

What was New Mexico doing at QB last week? They started Gerhart, gave him two series, then put in Jones, then played Gerhart for the 4th qrt.

NM has been offensively challenged this year...just 305y vs AF...only 305y vs CSU...only avg 237 vs Fresno/Utah St/SD St.

Last year in Boise, I think was a weeknight game...Boise -14.5 and won 28-14. NM outgained them by 13 yards and had a 18-12 FD edge. 2016 Boise was -18 on the road and led 49-7 and won 49-21.

Really it is a fairly close series and consider that NM has had plenty of bad teams through the years italics game at NM. Lobos have covered 5 of the last 6.

2017 Boise -14.5 28-14 NM was 1-1 finished 3-9
2016 Boise -18 49-21 NM was 2-2 finished 9-4
2015 New Mexico +31 31-24 NM was 5-4 finished 7-6
2014 Boise -19 60-49 NM was 3-5 finished 4-8
2013 Boise -37 45-17 NM was 3-9 finished 3-10
2012 Boise -25.5 32-29 NM was 2-2 finished 4-9

Agree, seems like a good spot for New Mex and not a good one for Boise. You think they will produce through the air vs Boise? Maybe.

What would you guess the range Boise St scores and what is the range NM can be expected to score?

Good Luck tonite, mr VC

Re Kent— sometime back Tahoe Legendtaught me a lesson “Do not bet on bad teams”
I went back over my records. And it proved he was right.
I hope New Mexico proves the exception. I kind of like their chances myself.

Back