Friday NFLx Plays (& Notes)

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
2007 NFL Record 3-0 +$160

$100 Jets -3 -130
The Falcons are moving away from their zone blocking scheme, which won't help the running game early in the season. With Warrick Dunn injured, Jerious Norwood will be Atlanta's No. 1 running back and his consistency is in question with how much he dances in the backfield and the new blocking scheme. The Falcons also have one of the worst QB rotations in the league. I absolutely love the depth the Jets will run out there at QB. They have Pennington who will only be in there for a bit, but have a decent backup QB battle with the young Kellen Clemens and Marquest Tuiasosopo. Former Missouri QB and converted WR Brad Smith with take snaps as the 4th QB and will want to prove he's a QB in the league. For that reason I'll stay away from the under and take the Jets as some of the "scrubs" have serious talent and a lot to prove.

$60 Bucs -3 +105
This comes down to the QB rotation. Brady won't be seeing too many snaps and the Matt's (Cassel & Guiterrez) haven't been impressive in camp so far for the Patriots. We all know how deep TB is at QB.

$125 Bills +6
$60 Bills/Saints under 36 -105
I shake my head at this line.The Saints lost 20 to 7 to Pittsburgh in Sunday night's Hall of Fame Game. Saints coach Sean Payton is pushing his team to show more pride in their work. Payton says he wants the Saints to show a "little passion" along with the fundamentals. Bills coach Dick Jauron says he liked the idea of facing a team that comes in both a little angry and with one game already in the books. Like most teams, the Bills open their preseason this week.Saints quarterback Drew Brees is expected to play the entire first quarter and possibly into the second. Deuce McAllister didn't play at all against Pittsburgh and will get about a quarter of work along with Reggie Bush.I really feel that the Bills should be the favorites in the game. The Bills will have a QB rotation of Losman, career preseason stud Craig Nall and rookie Trent Edwards. Dwayne Wright is a very solid 3rd string running back behind Lynch and A-train.

$100 Vikings pk -105
See below article

Thursday Vikings update

Childress will wait to make a call on Peterson

MANKATO - Adrian Peterson declared himself fit and ready Wednesday, but it remained unclear whether the rookie tailback will make his Metrodome debut Friday in the Vikings' preseason opener against St. Louis.
By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: August 08, 2007 – 10:56 PM
MANKATO - Adrian Peterson declared himself fit and ready Wednesday, but it remained unclear whether the rookie tailback will make his Metrodome debut Friday in the Vikings' preseason opener against St. Louis. Peterson has been working through soreness caused by a hip pointer, and coach Brad Childress said he doesn't want Peterson to risk further injury and might not determine Peterson's status until Friday.
"I'm not trying to be coy about it," Childress said. "I just want to make sure that when he opens up, he can open up. You want guys to be able to protect themselves, which he can do. But part of protecting yourself is to be able to open up and run away. If you can't do that, you can't protect yourself. So we'll see."
Earlier Wednesday, Peterson spoke as if playing was a foregone conclusion. He said, "I'm sure I'll feel the chill" upon stepping into the building. But Peterson said his high-profile career at Oklahoma has prepared him for that moment.
"My first college game [at Oklahoma], I was a little nervous," Peterson said. "I'm sure I'll be excited going out there [Friday], but I'll know how to handle it."
Peterson has missed 10 practices this summer, five because of the hip pointer, but participated in both workouts Wednesday. Neither was full pads.
Childress, meanwhile, did acknowledge several details about Friday's game, including:
• Starters will play two or three series but no longer than the first quarter.
• To no one's surprise, quarterback Tarvaris Jackson will start. Brooks Bollinger will follow him in the second quarter.
• One of the few true starting competitions is at left end, where Kenechi Udeze and Darrion Scott have been rotating with the first team. Childress indicated both players will see action with the first team Friday night.
Etc.
• No one commented on plans for calling offensive plays Friday. Childress called plays last season, but offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has done so for most unscripted portions of practice this summer. Childress has said he will experiment with the situation throughout the preseason.
• Linebacker Jason Glenn left the morning practice and was walking with crutches because of recurring soreness in his surgically repaired left knee. Childress said Glenn is suffering from patella tendinitis.
• Defensive end Erasmus James remained on the physically unable to perform list but should be activated "any day now," James said.
• Running back Mewelde Moore rejoined the team following the birth of his daughter, Jalyn Chantelle, on Monday. Both Jalyn and her mother, Tymeka, are doing well. "Jalyn is already wrapped around my finger," Moore said. "Or, I'm wrapped around her finger. However you want to put it."
• Owner Zygi Wilf presented $1,000 to the health and wellness program at Eagle Lake School, honoring the work of teacher Jane Brunz. The Vikings also donated $1,000 to the Greater Mankato United Way to kick off this summer's community tour, which also will take team officials to Fergus Falls, Grand Rapids, Granite Falls, Red Wing, Rochester, St. Cloud and Willmar.

Good info on Childress/Vikings...was looking at Minny and Hotlanta.

GL with the plays bro.

Harrington, Petrino prepare to make Falcons debuts vs. Jets<!--startclickprintexclude--><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="25" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="datestamp">Posted <script type="text/javascript">document.write(niceDate('8/9/2007 4:52 PM'));</script>6h 24m ago | Comment | Recommend </td> <td align="right"><!-- EdSysObj ID="SSI-B" FRAGMENTID="13417811" rberthol -->E-mail | Save | Print | <script type="text/javascript"> <!-- var tempshowReprintSSI = ""; if(window.showReprintSSI) { tempshowReprintSSI = showReprintSSI; } if ((navigator.os.indexOf("Mac")==1) && (navigator.type==2)) { // macIE if((document.forms.hiddenValForm.hiddenMacPrintValue.value == "0") || (document.forms.hiddenValForm.hiddenMacPrintValue.value=="2")) { if(document.forms.hiddenValForm.hiddenMacPrintValue.value == "2"){ document.forms.hiddenValForm.hiddenMacPrintValue.value = "0"; } else{ document.forms.hiddenValForm.hiddenMacPrintValue.value = "1"; } if(tempshowReprintSSI == 'showReprintSSI'){ writeReprintLink(); } writeSubscribeToLink(); } else { document.forms.hiddenValForm.hiddenMacPrintValue.value = "2"; } } else {// non macIE - write top and bottom if(tempshowReprintSSI == 'showReprintSSI'){ writeReprintLink(); } writeSubscribeToLink(); } function writeReprintLink(){ document.write('Reprints & Permissions | '); } function writeSubscribeToLink(){ var url = document.location.toString(); var urlArray = url.split("/") var nurl = ""; for (i = 3; i < urlArray.length - 1; i++) { if(i<urlArray.length-2){ nurl += urlArray + "|"; } else { nurl += urlArray; } } document.write(''); } //--> </script><!-- /EdSysObj --> </td></tr> </tbody></table><!--endclickprintexclude--> <table style="float: left;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>

</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--> <!-- EdSysObj ID="SandboxLede" FRAGMENTID="28361501" system --><script type="text/javascript">swapContent('firstHeader','applyHeader');</script><!--endclickprintexclude-->By Dennis Waszak Jr., AP Sports Writer
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Atlanta Falcons are moving on without Michael Vick.
With Vick facing federal dogfighting charges and ordered by the NFL to stay away from training camp, Joey Harrington will be under center when the Falcons open their preseason schedule against the New York Jets at the Meadowlands on Friday night.
"We're just trying to come together and rally behind Joey Harrington as our quarterback," tight end Alge Crumpler said. "I understand everyone knows we are in a tough situation with Michael ultimately being out."
While Vick and Harrington have completely opposite styles - one is perhaps the league's greatest running quarterback, while the other is one of the most stationary - the former Detroit and Miami signal caller is eager to run the Falcons' offense.
"It was a bit difficult to pick up initially," said Harrington, playing for his fifth head coach in seven years, Bobby Petrino. "But now, it's great. I love it. It's by far my favorite offense I've played for in the NFL."
And he'll get to show how much he enjoys it for a series or two against the Jets on Friday night.
"I think Joey is going to handle things well," running back Jerious Norwood said. "He's a good leader. Everybody is pulling together around Joey. He's our quarterback as of now and we're going to keep moving forward."
The game will be the first for Petrino as an NFL coach after four seasons at Louisville.
"I'm most nervous about not having a live scrimmage thus far," Petrino said. "That is what the preseason is for, so it will be interesting to see how we do the first time tackling live."
Petrino certainly didn't bank on not having his playmaking quarterback when he accepted the job. And Vick won't be the only one absent for the Falcons. Running back Warrick Dunn is still recovering from offseason back surgery, so Norwood will start in his place. Crumpler is also out with a sore left knee that needed arthroscopic surgery in April.
"I hope I don't hyperventilate like some of the rookies do," Petrino said jokingly. "I think I will be OK out there, but I'm looking forward to seeing them play."
The Jets had their own quarterback issues a year ago when Chad Pennington was coming off consecutive rotator cuff operations. He responded with his first full season, throwing for a career-high 3,352 yards and being voted the league's Comeback Player of the Year.
Pennington might be in for an even more productive year with the addition of running back Thomas Jones, who helped lead Chicago to the Super Bowl last season.
"I'm used to winning. I have a winning mentality," Jones said. "The Jets are a great organization. They won last year and made it to the playoffs. I'm just trying to add to that."
The excitement surrounding Jones' Jets debut might be tempered by things being less than rosy in Eric Mangini's second camp as coach.
New York has yet to sign its first-round pick, cornerback Darrelle Revis, and veteran left guard Pete Kendall is still a member of the team despite demanding to be traded or released because of a bitter contract dispute.
Revis, the No. 14 pick in the draft, was expected to compete at the right cornerback spot, but he and agent Neil Schwartz reportedly are looking for a five-year deal. The Jets, meanwhile, are reportedly insisting on a six-year deal.
"All the rookies right now are trying to find a role to help us win," Mangini said. "It's hard to find a role if you're not here."
Kendall, credited with helping center Nick Mangold and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson develop in their rookie seasons, is seeking a $1 million raise on his $1.7 million salary. A starter in his previous three seasons with the Jets, Kendall has practiced mostly with the second-team offense during training camp.
"I believe I'm a starter in this league," he said. "If and whenever that changes, I don't think I will be the first to admit it, but I don't believe that time has arrived."
With all the subplots, particularly the Vick situation, the game might have a little more juice than most in the preseason.
"Not for me," said Jets safety Kerry Rhodes, who played for Petrino at Louisville. "For me personally, I just get to see my old coach and I get to mingle with him a little bit."
The Associated Press

Defense hurting for Jets

Smith injury adds to secondary woes

By Associated Press | August 9, 2007
The New York Jets have another problem in their unsettled secondary.
Safety Eric Smith, competing with Erik Coleman for a starting spot opposite Kerry Rhodes, was carted off the field yesterday in Hempstead, N.Y., during the morning practice with an injured right leg.
The team was working on the muddy grass field when Smith, who has looked good in training camp, went down after apparently slipping.
The second-year player was at the night practice doing individual stretching, but his right thigh was wrapped and he limped noticeably. His status for the Jets' preseason opener against Atlanta tonight was uncertain.
Smith's injury is the latest issue in the Jets' secondary. Cornerback Justin Miller has missed practice the past few days after tweaking a hamstring and rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis, the No. 14 pick in the draft, remains unsigned.

Newsday.com

JETS

As usual, Chad does whatever it takes

Bob Glauber
9:34 PM EDT, August 9, 2007
<script language="JavaScript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.newsday/sports/football/jets;ptype=ps;slug=ny-spglaub0810;rg=ur;ref=newsdaycom;pos=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;ord=36776419?" type="text/javascript"></script> <noscript></noscript>
This is why you have to love what Chad Pennington means to the Jets, and what he means to the game of football: It is a hot, steamy morning at the team's Hofstra training camp, the field is soaked after monsoon-like rains, and there is Pennington, running full speed and doing a belly-flop into a huge pool of water, landing near Eric Mangini's feet.

The coach is not amused.

"I know coach wasn't smiling," Pennington admitted a few minutes after Wednesday's practice. "He looked at me and just said, 'Don't get hurt."'

Here we are, smack in the middle of two-a-days, and Pennington is doing whatever he can to give his team a lift. Before you know it, the winds will be howling at Giants Stadium, the temperature will dip, and Pennington will be doing something else to exhort his teammates.

"I was just trying to give us a spark," said Pennington, his once-white pants a dull gray and his entire uniform soaked from head to toe. "You've got to find ways to lighten things up. You have to watch in training camp, because you can really get negative with your body language and your attitude."

The net result of Pennington's child-like delight in a game of slip 'n slide: "It sure got me dirty, muddy and miserable."

But he did have a good practice, and that is the only thing that matters to the Jets' quarterback.

"It's all about preparation," he said, "and what you do here will go a long way to what you do during the season."

Of course, what Pennington does will have just about everything to do with what happens this season -- whether the Jets build on last year's surprising 10-6 record that gave them a wild-card spot in the playoffs in Mangini's first season, or whether they fail to close the gap with a Patriots team that has Super Bowl run written all over it.

The 31-year-old Pennington will take the next step in tonight's preseason game at home against the Falcons. As Mangini's unquestioned starter long before camp started, Pennington has been the consummate leader and the consummate quarterback. And this time, without the burden of rehabbing from the shoulder problems that once imperiled his career.

"I'm just playing like a normal athlete," he said. "As a veteran, I'm learning how to take care of my body and doing the necessary things off the field to make sure that when I step on the field, I'm healthy and doing the things I need to do."

Pennington has been brilliant for most of the Jets' off-season workouts, although there was an uneven performance in a scrimmage against the first-team defense earlier this week. But you can expect the sharpness to take over once the live action starts and the Jets embark on a torturous schedule that opens against the Patriots. If the Jets are to have any chance this year, then Pennington has to be every bit as good as he's ever been.

"We've got to be careful of what we think we can do," he said. "Potential and prognostication don't mean a lot, and sometimes it can be a trap. I just have to come out here every day and make sure we get better."

Even if it means taking a mud bath for the team.

"Chad's the heart and soul of this offense," receiver Justin McCareins said. "On days like today, when everyone is stiff and tired and takes a while to get moving, he's the guy diving in the mud to get us going. He'll lighten the mood up, or will get us focused on what we have to do and not allow ourselves to be distracted by any outside things."

Pennington is one of the only quarterbacks to ever come back from not one, but two shoulder surgeries. Not many people thought he could do it; honestly, I had my doubts, too. And so did former head coach Herman Edwards, who often wondered privately if Pennington was through when he was re-injured early in the 2005 season. In fact, Pennington and Edwards once wept and embraced over the uncertainty both men shared.

But with an unceasing work ethic, a new coach, and maybe a little bit of luck, Pennington has emerged from the experience and taken back his team. After dominating last year's four-way competition, Pennington is now the unquestioned leader.

"Publicly, it's been known that this year is not a competition," he said. "But you always think inside that it's always a competition. Each year, you keep yourself on the edge and stay focused. You do everything you can not to give them any reason to replace you."

In other words, Pennington knows that one day Kellen Clemens might take his place. Or if not Clemens, then someone else. But unless Pennington suddenly loses the swagger he regained after an unprecedented comeback, that moment will not come any time soon.

Copyright © 2007, Newsday Inc.

Falcons Notebook
by The Associated Press

FLOWERY BRANCH - Rookie receiver Laurent Robinson returned from a hamstring injury on Tuesday and should play in the Atlanta Falcons' preseason opener at the New York Jets on Friday night.

Robinson, a third-round pick from Illinois State, hurt his hamstring in practice on Saturday and was held out on Monday. He was back Tuesday. Even though Robinson was not full speed, coach Bobby Petrino was encouraged to see the rookie back on the practice fields.

``It was a situation where his hamstring tightened up a little on him,'' Petrino said. ``He went in and got an MRI and it showed it was OK to go today. I wouldn't say it was 100 percent, but he did a nice job and it was nice to see him work through something.

``I think he's going to be fine by Friday. He actually took a lot of reps today. He is a tough young man. This is not his first injury, so he'll be able to fight through it and go. We'll definitely need to get him some work on Friday.''

Robinson is listed as the top backup to starter Michael Jenkins at one receiver spot. Veteran Joe Horn is the other starter, followed by Roddy White on the depth chart.

HEAT IS ON: There were numerous water breaks but no other concession to the heat as the Falcons had one workout on Tuesday. Temperatures approached 100 degrees as the players worked out for about two hours.

There were no heat-related incidents.

The team has practices scheduled Wednesday for 9 a.m. and 6:20 p.m. The morning practice is closed to the public. There will be only a light walk-through session on Thursday before the team leaves for Friday night's game.

LOOKING AHEAD: Petrino on his expectations for the preseason opener:

``Defensively we really want to be running full-speed to the ball and tackling and seeing who is communicating and making sure we're getting lined up right on every play.

``Offensively, I want to see our tempo in and out of the huddle and how we do at the line of scrimmage and making sure we're executing. ... And then it's just execute the running game and passing game and see where we're at.''

COMPETITION AT CORNERBACK: Eight-year veteran Lewis Sanders and rookie Chris Houston have a tight competition at right cornerback that should end with each seeing substantial playing time.

``We are going to need both of them,'' Petrino said. ``They are doing a nice job. Lewis really understands the game of football and he is doing a nice job of teaching Chris a lot about the receiver routes. Chris is very talented and very fast.''

Sanders is listed as Friday night's starter.

BUCCANEERS TRAINING CAMP QUOTES <table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td align="center" valign="top">WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8, 2007

</td></tr> <tr> <td valign="top"> <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td valign="top">HEAD COACH JON GRUDEN

(On if FB Mike Alstott was getting rest or if his absence from this morning’s practice was injury related)
“He’s sore right now. We told him to take a couple of days off, and that’s the case with Mike.”

(On where Alstott is sore)
“Sore, he’s sore. He’s taking some time off to get well, and we’ll update you hopefully tomorrow.”

(On the last half of practice this morning)
“The last half of the session obviously was scout team cards where we’re trying to emulate the Patriots, so you’re not going to get the precise look all the time. Those practices like that with 85 guys can sometimes be hazardous, but there were some good things early in practice. Later in practice, obviously, our look squads have to improve. You’ve got to represent your opponent a little bit better than we did today.”

(On WR Michael Clayton leaving practice early)
“He’s being looked at by the doctors right now, the trainers. I believe he pulled a muscle. We’ll see what his status is later today.”

(On the Bucs’ tight end unit)
“We think we’re pretty good. We’ve been working those tight ends in there pretty good. We think [Jerramy] Stevens is a good addition for us. Alex Smith has had a solid camp. Anthony Becht has been solid. We feel like we’ve got three veteran tight ends who know what they’re doing, who can function in any formation. And those guys are going to help us.”

(On if WR David Boston is getting closer to returning to the form he demonstrated early in his career)
“Yes, I think he is. And our depth chart – the one that was released the other day – is changing daily. So David Boston is certainly in the mix, not only to make the team but to start. He’s had a great camp. It’s a credit to him. He hasn’t missed a day’s practice, and I really like what we see from him. He’s 234 pounds, he’s running all the routes at different positions and he hasn’t backed down to anything. I’m really proud of what he’s done.”

(On the effect of having a WR David Boston opposite of WR Joey Galloway)
“I can’t get into all of that stuff. We have done some good things here. We didn’t do so many great things a year ago, but that’s for a lot of reasons. Galloway’s a very good player. We would like the flanker position to be stellar for us, stellar. And Boston will get a look at flanker against New England, and his versatility is allowing us to do that. Maurice Stovall started out fast. He’s had some sore legs here the last few days. I’d like to see him pick it up, honestly. Ike Hilliard has been solid. Michael Clayton has picked it up the last few days, so it’s still very competitive, and we’re excited about that.”

(On if FB Mike Alstott will play Friday)
“I don’t know that he will. Again, I’ll update you when I can.”

(On DE/DT Kevin Carter’s versatility)
“He can play anywhere for you. That’s one of the great things about him. If you just settled him down and left him at one position, he could be outstanding. He’s a good pass rusher. I think he’s a heck of a football player. He recognizes draws and screens. He can hold up against anybody in football against the run. He’ll bat passes down. He’s a pro football player. And where we end up playing is where he ends up playing, but Carter will be a big part of our mix.”

(On FB Mike Alstott’s status)
“He’s sore right now. He’ll be out for a couple of days, and we’ll update you later.”

(On what has impressed him about WR Ike Hilliard)
“Ike’s a pro. And he’s not out of the mix here in terms of being our opening day starter at flanker. He’s a pro. He is a pro player, knows how to run routes, knows how to get open. He can stem people. He gets in and out of his breaks well, and he catches the football and he’s tough as nails. So, Ike Hilliard is a guy who’s going to be a leader in our receiving corps, and his role will be defined here in the next few weeks.”

(On if he’s pleased with where QB Jeff Garcia is at right now)
“I’m very pleased. I think his preparation is top-notch. He’s a creative player. He’s a great competitor. He hasn’t turned the ball over. He’s running our offense with ease, and I think, to a man, our whole football team is excited about what they see from him.”

(On what DT Jovan Haye has shown in earning a starting spot)
“He’s made plays. His factor grade every day is putting him in the lead, but again, it’s the Daytona 500, and we’ve still got 480 laps to go. We’ll see what he does against Logan Mankins and some of the really good internal players who the Patriots have.”

(On if he was trying to lighten the mood with music being played over the speakers instead of crowd noise)
“No, I just got tired of the crowd noise. We’ve got to work on coming off the ball and making audibles in the noise. It’s extremely loud in Seattle, and “Walk This Way,” by whoever that was – I don’t know who that was – sometimes a little jolt in the morning helps our guys get out of bed.”

(On if the receivers running the gauntlet was a new drill)
“We’ve got to catch the ball better, man. We’ve got to catch the football better. We dropped a couple of balls again today in our passing drill. We dropped 25 or 27 balls a year ago. Dropped them. Good throw, good protection, good decision and dropped pass – four of them for touchdowns. That’s insane. We can’t win games if we don’t catch the ball, so getting a little ball-catching drill for everybody put the pressure on them. It was something we wanted to start practice with.”

(On if he’s seen progress from his receivers)
“Yes, I’ve seen progress in some guys. I’ve seen a lack of progress in some others. And we won’t be very good throwing the ball if we can’t throw it better than we threw it last year, if we don’t obviously catch it better, we’ll struggle to catch the ball.”

(On T Donald Penn)
“He’s had his moments. He’s a young player who’s had his moments. He’s pass protected at times well. At times, he’s struggled. He’s been pretty good in the running game. At times, he’s struggled. He’s taken a lot of reps with [Luke] Petitgout’s situation, and I think he’s a little leg-weary at this point in time. He’s seeing good players every day. [Kevin] Carter’s not screwing around with him. Neither is Greg Spires. And the young rookie is not messing around, so he’s had his hands full, and he’s done some good things, but he’s struggled at times. We’re eager to see how he plays against New England.”

(On LB Cato June)
“He’s an impact player. He’s all over the place. He chased plays down. He’s physical in the hole. He’s a versatile, skilled athlete who can fly. I’m really, really thrilled to have him a part of this organization. He’s a great kid, he loves football and he’ll hit you.”

(On what he looks for from guys in preseason games)
“We’re looking for production. We’re looking for guys who can hit. We’re looking for guys who can finish plays and guys who can make plays. Discipline – we want guys who can play the game the way they’re coached to play it, within our structure. We want to see guys execute their assignments and make plays and be enthusiastic and have some fun out there. Hopefully we discover some of that Friday night.”

(On why some guys look good statistically but don’t make the team)
“Statistics are for the NFL Network. I don’t believe in a lot of statistics. I think some of the best runs I’ve ever seen in the league are no-gain runs – three-yard runs, two-yard runs, a guy who doesn’t turn the ball over. Statistics sometimes are very misleading. You make a lot of garbage yards late in games, things of that nature. I want to see guys compete and get the job done and be realistic in what we’re looking at.”

(On what convinced him to elevate WR Maurice Stovall on the depth chart)
“We don’t have a depth chart, really, that’s concrete. That depth chart was released two days ago, and that’s ancient history right now. As far as I know, we’ll announce who’s starting Friday night at the game. We’re competing right now. We’ll find out who to keep and who to start, and that’s a long way from being decided.”

(On RB Michael Pittman’s versatility)
“His versatility is expanding. He’s a guy who plays everywhere in formations. He can lineup in the tailback position or come out of the backfield and line up as a receiver. He’s a guy who can play the fullback position. He does a lot for us. He’s a very good receiver. He’s a very good pick-up guy. And we just think he’s a fine football player.”

(On his impressions of WR David Boston)
“You’ve been out here. He might be our best receiver at times out here. He’s running all over the place. Let’s be honest, we haven’t had full-speed drills with our tackling yet. This son of a gun is 235 pounds, and when he catches that ball going north and south, he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with. He’s doing great. He’s doing a heck of a job. I recognize, our coaches recognize it and our players recognize it. I hope you do, too. Hopefully he can do it Friday night.”

(On WR Mark Jones as a kick returner)
“In the past he hasn’t done that. He’s been a punt returner. Once again, we’ve said it before and we’ll keep saying it, we’re looking for a guy who can do a dual role. We don’t want to have a guy – ‘You just snap, you just hold, you just return punts, you just return kicks, you just be the nickel corner, you just be the third receiver. How about you guys do a lot of things so we can activate the best 53 guys on Sunday.’ To be able to have a guy who can function in a dual role, like a lot of guys in pro football, you pick up an extra roster spot. Maybe it’s the extra linebacker, the extra pass rusher, the extra fullback or whatever it may be. So we’re looking for somebody who can do both things, and until we find that guy, we’re going to struggle putting together the gameday actives.”

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Final preparations[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]From 10:15 to 11:15 a.m. today, the Bucs will do a final walk-through before their first of four preseason games.

[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"I hope they're itching," Bucs coach Jon Gruden said after his players had finished sweating through another two-a-day practice. "We had a great offseason. We've been pushing sleds and studying film and working hard. And that's why you do that -- to get ready to play games."

[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Bucs play host to the New England Patriots at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Raymond James Stadium.

[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"New England will be a great challenge, and they're very talented," Gruden said. "We think we've got some talent here and some real high-effort players, and hopefully it shows Friday night."

[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]John Wade, who is competing with Matt Lehr for the starting center spot, said he looked forward to Friday night.

[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"It'll be nice to hit somebody in a different uniform," Wade said. "It'll be nice to see where we're at. It's a starting point for us."

[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sincere about Sears[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Gruden raved about rookie guard Arron Sears, who has ascended to No. 1 on the preseason depth chart at left guard. Anthony Davis, last year's starting left tackle, has fallen behind Sears, with Luke Petitgout slated to start at left tackle.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"Power," Gruden said of Sears, a former Tennessee Volunteer. "He's got power. He's got a real good anchor, and I think if you ask the inside guys on defense, they'll tell you. He is a powerful guywho doesn't get fooled by the first move a lot.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"He hasn't made a lot of mistakes. We're throwing a lot at him defensively, different alignments. He's seeing different kinds of rushers, and he's responding well every day."[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Injury updates[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Wide receiver Michael Clayton, who has been demoted to second-string, missed part of practice Wednesday and also might not play. Both injuries were described as minor and weren't disclosed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Left tackle Luke Petitgout will not play because of a back injury.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Linebacker Barrett Ruud might play, as he continues recovering from a minor knee injury.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]David Dorsey, a staff writer for the Fort Myers News-Press, covers the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for FLORIDA TODAY.[/FONT]

Patriots QB rotation/expected PT

Finally Time For First Measuring Stick
By: Bob George/BosSports.net
<hr> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="775"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="5">
dot.gif
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="468">[SIZE=-1]TAMPA -- No, you're not going to see the Patriots threaten their record for most points in a game. You may want to just to whet your appetite, but it is so not happening. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]First of all, Randy Moss is a scratch thanks to his hamstring. Second, these are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, not the 1979 New York Jets (who gave up 55 in a game to the Patriots that year). Third, this is the preseason opener, and players will be given shakedowns, not getting showcased just to psyche out the rest of the league. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The 2007 Patriots will formally begin their march towards Super Bowl XLII Friday night at Raymond James Stadium. While this game really won't mean a whole lot with respect to how the team will play in December and January and beyond, it will be well worth taking some time away from the Red Sox and their shrinking AL East lead and seeing where your Patriots are at the moment. You can't help but sit there and wonder about this new Patriot offense, but seeing what this group can really do will have to wait another month or so. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Not having Moss in the game does diminish its watchability quite a bit for casual and non-hardcore fans, but there will be plenty to look at and to take note of. Tom Brady will play a few series, maybe even the entire first half, and should get time to learn his new receivers in actual game conditions. The first defensive unit should get plenty of reps out there as well. The second half is when both coaches figure to bring in all the players who are longshots to make it to Foxborough in September. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]If you are one of those fans who are too full of baseball or root for the Patriots only because it's fashionable, here are some things which you can look at as you entertain your friends Friday night. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Right off the bat, you should pay close attention to Donte Stallworth and Wes Welker. See if Brady tries to hit Stallworth deep and Welker underneath. What Stallworth will try and do is stretch opposing secondaries and respect the deep ball (as will Moss), but Brady will certainly try and see if Stallworth can outrun someone back there and nail one for 70 yards or so. Meanwhile, everyone is expecting Welker to become what Troy Brown was when he set the record for most catches in a season by a Patriot. Welker could well become the best new addition at wideout instead of Moss. Here's hoping these two guys get plenty of work in the first half. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]You might also want to watch carefully to see if the Patriots can run right. There is an intense ongoing battle for the right tackle job, between Ryan O'Callaghan and Nick Kaczur. If Laurence Maroney (or Sammy Morris, perhaps) breaks off a few good runs off right tackle, see who is in at right tackle. Right tackles are usually the "road graders" with right-handed quarterbacks, and it will be very important for the passing game this year that the run game succeed, especially with the retirement of Corey Dillon. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Matt Cassel should come in around the third quarter, and his performance will be critical, albeit with second and third unit players in there. Everyone's secret fear is what will become of the Patriots should Brady ever get hurt, which thus far we've never had to actually see. Cassel needs to be able to come in and play as if Brady were still in there, and no one really knows if that is possible. Other than some nice garbage time work at the end of the 2005 season against Miami (the Flutie drop-kick game), Cassel is still by and large an unknown figure to most all outside the inner circle of the team. Cassel has backed up three very good quarterbacks in his day (Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC and Brady), but he has never had the chance to show what he can do if he had to bring the team home. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Adalius Thomas was the plum free agent pickup. His reputation and talent are both impeccable, but he bears watching to see if he fits in and if he will help make up for the fact that Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel are getting long in the tooth. Vrabel still belongs outside, but in all likelihood Thomas and Rosevelt Colvin will be the outside backers. Thomas will be counted on to bring pressure, but what you should pay most attention to is whether or not Bruschi's best days as a run stopper are behind him. How well Thomas picks up the slack here may be a critical element of the season. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Patriots traded the other day for Dante Wesley from Chicago, a backup cornerback on the NFC champs. He could turn out to be merely another body in camp. But the cornerback position remains imperiled as long as Asante Samuel continues his holdout. Tory James and Ellis Hobbs will probably start at cornerback Friday night, with Randall Yag and Willie Andrews as the main backups. Tampa Bay is not known as a team with an explosive offense, so this is a nice first test for the makeshift cornerback tandem. But the pass defense bears close scrutiny, and if the Buccaneers are able to move easily through the Patriot secondary, sound the lifeboat call at once. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]And finally, have a chat with whomever you pray to, if anyone, for no injuries. You know for sure that Moss won't get any worse than a bad hammy. Injuries in the preseason are just as bad as in the regular season, but the bad karma that goes with an injury in a meaningless game makes it seem worse than it actually is, and team morale is even more negatively impacted. Front line players have to play, but keep your fingers crossed all the while. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tampa Bay is a bad team to lead things off with. The Patriots are winless in five preseason contests against the Buccaneers in their history. The Patriots were spanked 27-7 here in the regular season in 1997, a game better known for the antics of Drew Bledsoe and some of his pals during the week and something called a "mosh pit". The Patriots' last meeting with these Bucs was a sweet 28-0 win at Gillette Stadium a week before Christmas in 2005. But facing this team in the preseason hasn't exactly been a walk in the park for the Patriots. Nevertheless, when you are playing games that don't put winning at the top of the priority list, Tampa Bay will give the Patriots a nice first test as they try and put together a team which will make it to the Super Bowl for the first time in three years after winning three or four Vinces a while back. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Speaking of mosh pits, if you get wind of Brady hanging out at one this week, you need to change what it is you are serving at your party. [/SIZE]
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Saints' offensive line beat up after Brown injures leg in morning practice

By Jeff Byrd
[08/08/07]
JACKSON - The crash and moans of star left tackle Jammal Brown Tuesday morning at the New Orleans Saints' training camp at Millsaps College sent far more chills down its fans' spine than the disappointment of Sunday night's loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the preseason Hall of Fame game in Canton, Ohio.

Brown, a Pro Bowl tackle in his third season with the Saints, went down during a scrimmage just two days after Sunday's 20-7 preseason opening loss to the Steelers. Brown, out of Oklahoma, had to be carted off the field.

“He just kind of fell right in the pile,” said Saints left guard Jamar Nesbit, a nine-year veteran. “It's really disappointing, to see him in that much pain. He's my tackle.”

Saints head coach Sean Payton said the initial reports from the training staff were positive. A Tuesday afternoon MRI revealed it was just a bone bruise and the knee was still structurally sound.

“They said the knee was stable. Obviously, your left offensive tackle is an important part of your team,” Payton said.

Next to the quarterback, left tackle is the most demanding and vital position in pro football, because that linemen protects the quarterback's blind side against the pass rush. Brown is easily the Saints' most talented offensive lineman and was coming off his best season with the club after helping the team to the NFC South Division title and a spot in the NFC championship game. <table class="clear-table" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <!-- AdSys ad not found for sports:middle -->
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Brown's injury, coupled with the loss of center Jeff Faine, who's out with a strained calf, and the Saints are looking at going into Friday night's game against the Buffalo Bills at the Louisiana Superdome with a make-shift line.

“You're looking at having three-fifths of what we had last year,” Nesbit said of the Saints' starting offensive line, which also includes the right side of tackle Jon Stinchcomb and guard Jahri Evans.

“This is something else that we're just going to have to fight through. We've got four more preseason games to work on it. The best way to get better is keep trying to improve your technique. That's my plan,” Nesbit said.

Faine's injury is not considered serious but he is also not likely to be back before training camp ends at Millsaps on Aug. 15. The Saints are cutting short their stay at Millsaps by a day after Payton reached an agreement with Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to have a practice together at the Bengals facility before the teams meet in a preseason game in Cincinnati on Aug. 18. <table class="photo-bdr" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width=""> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="cutline" valign="top" width="">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> “Basically we're going to have two practices with them on that Thursday, it is not a scrimmage,” Payton said, in correcting a previous report by the Associated Press Tuesday. “We'll do some 7-on-7 work and some other drill work together. It gives us a different look, a change of scenery. Both me and Coach Lewis thought it would be a good benefit for both teams.”

The lackluster loss to the Steelers had already put the coaching staff in a sour mood. Tuesday morning's practice was initially supposed to be a walk-through. Instead, it was the most punishing practice since the team started camp.

“It was not meant to be punishment. But we did need to have a good week of practice and this was a tough practice,” Payton said.

A couple of the bright spots Payton did illuminate from the Steelers game was the play of defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy, an Ole Miss product; third string quarterback Jason Fife and the special teams play of Jason Craft and Illinois rookie Pierre Thomas.

“Clancy did a good job and we have him now working with the first unit,” Payton said. “I thought Fife showed us a spark and his unit did score the only touchdown.”

Fujita arrives at camp on crutches

Saints linebacker hurt after trip to water slide park

Posted: Wednesday August 8, 2007 5:04PM; Updated: Wednesday August 8, 2007 7:19PM

<table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td width="100%">
</td></tr></tbody></table>JACKSON, Miss. (AP) -- Saints starting strongside linebacker Scott Fujita walked into the cafeteria at Millsaps College on crutches Wednesday afternoon following the team's return from a trip to an area water slide park.
Fujita was not available for a formal interview, but as he waited for a plate of food, he said he was going to be fine and that nothing was broken.
He did not describe exactly what happened before making his way to another room with Saints personnel, saying only that he "had a little accident this morning."
Fujita's foot was wrapped, but there was no brace on his leg, only an oversized sandal that fit over the wrapping.
Like last season, coach Sean Payton cut short a morning practice a little over a week into training camp and loaded the team onto buses bound for an area water park called Rapids on the Reservoir in Brandon, Miss.
The trip came after two long, hard practices on Tuesday, the Saints' first day back on the practice field since a 20-7 preseason loss to Pittsburgh in the Hall of Fame game on Sunday night.
Since training camp practices began on July 27, the Saints have labored through eight days of twice-a-day practices, all outdoors.
The team did not plan to make Payton or players available for interviews until after a practice slated for Wednesday afternoon.

With the temperature nearing 98 degrees, coach Sean Payton cut Wednesday morning's Saints'practice short and bused his team to a water park <st1:city w:st="on"></st1:city> so the leg-tired players could enjoy some fun and frolic.<o></o>
As a result, two of the aggressive players overdid the event and suffered minor injuries during the "horseplay." Starting linebacker Scott Fujita suffered a bruised heel and tight end Billy Miller received a cut of his eye. Fujita could miss Friday night's game on national television against the Buffalo Bills.<o></o>
<o></o>
The Saints waived former LSU linebacker Trev Faulk and receiver Dante Ridgeway and signed wide receiver Derrick Doyle, who previously set the record for single-season catches at Northwestern
<st1></st1>

It was doubtful that Faulk was going to get much playing time as a linebacker, but the Saints he could contribute on specials teams. He drew two penalties on special teams last week against the Steelers and that was enough for the coaching staff. The Saints are deep at linebacker this season.<o></o>
<o></o>
Backup quarterback Jamie Martin has been inconsistent during camp and the 37-year-old backup could be bearing the end of a playing career. The Saints will continue to bring in quarterbacks to see if they can find a better backup for Drew Brees.<o>

</o>
No. 1 receiver Robert Meachem has not impressed in training camp and could have trouble making the active roster for the team's early games.<o>

</o>
Hollis Thomas, the team's 350-pound defensive tackle, continues his attempt to lose weight down to 335 and get in better shape. Years ago, the Saints had a running back Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, who always battled the bulge. The loquacious Thomas adds humor to the locker room and admits he need to lose weight.<o>

</o>
"You can tell Hollis is fat when he sits in the bathtub and the water in the toilet rises," joked a teammate.<o>

</o>
Meanwhile in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Buffalo</st1></st1:city>, Bills coach Dick Jauron said quarterback J.P. Losman and the rest of the starters will play 10-15 snaps. "That's about normal," said Jauron. "After that.I'm not certain. I'm inclined to think Craig Nall (LSU) will go second and play a little. Then rookie Trent Edwards will play the rest of the way."<o>

</o>
The Bills pumped in music for entire Wednesday workout to get ready for the Superdome crowd. "We needed to work with some noise," said Jauron. "It makes them concentrate and it makes them communicate in different ways." Former Saints assistant Bobby April is the Bills' special teams coach. The Bills left for <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>New Orleans</st1> </st1:city>on Thursday afternoon.<o>

</o>
The Saints are 6-point favorites in the CBS nationally televised game at 7 p.m.
<o></o>

"We're really not sick of each other, but hitting each other in practice is definitely getting old," said Bills tight end Brad Cieslak.

Saints defensive end Charles Grant said he and fellow defensive end Will Smith are capable of getting 30 sacks between them this season.<o>

</o>
"We gave one of them $60 million, so obviously we have confidence in them," said Payton. Smith may cost them even more. Smith led the Saints in sacks for the second straight season last year, his first as a full-time starter. He went to the Pro Bowl.<o>

</o>
Grant has 36 sacks to begin his career with 27 1/2 in his first three seasons. Smith has matched his pace with 26 1/2 sacks to begin his career. Smith said he and Grant will have more say in what schemes they run on passing downs this season. "They're letting us go a little more and kind of do our own thing, which gives us more opportunity to make big plays and get sacks," said Smith.

Back