Friday March 23, 2007 NHL Picks

dx316dx316

Pretty much a regular
One of the worst things that any capper can do is play too many games on any given night. Granted, there will be nights where you may love every play and indeed each game warrants a bet; however, rarely do these situations come up on a regular basis. Last night was a good example of playing too many games. I didn't have a bad night but for some reason after I made my plays I didn't feel the card was strong enough to make all those plays. I'm glad I didn't get my ass handed to me again after a solid start to the week. You live and you learn...

On to today's plays....

Yesterday's Record: 5-4-1 (55.55%)
Yesterday's Profit/Loss: +1.81 Units

YTD Record: 49-28-3 (63.64%)

YTD Profit/Loss: +19.06 Units

COL vs. EDM

Ok this one should be a no brainer and I'll be damn surprise if any one actually puts money on EDM tonight. You can't give me one good reason why EDM is the play here other than the, "C'mon, EDM gotta's win one of these days" theory. I agree with you - EDM will win one of these days. Just not today...or tomorrow (vs. NAS)...or Wednesday (vs. NAS again). In fact, there is a slight chance that EDM may never win this hockey season again. And seriously, do you think any team wants to be known as the team that lost to a minor league hockey club? This is the NHL; no one is going to feel sorry for you.

COL can continue to climb into the playoff race. This is one of, if not the hottest, teams of recent winning 9 of their past 10 games to pull within 6 points of CAL for the final playoff berth. Before March, most people would have thought COL would be out of the playoff picture but now they have a chance to define their season. Remember, they still have two crucial games versus CAL and any points they get now will extremely valuable. Imagine if COL lost tonight and wound up losing the 8th seed by 1 point to CAL. No doubt will they remember the night they lost the opportunity to gain 2 easy points. COL gets the job done tonight. No ifs, ands, or buts.

COL (-0.5) -139 - 2 Units

TOR vs. BUF

TOR is battling 3 other teams for the final playoff spot in the East. These teams have been separated by only a few points, and each passing day we seem to get a new 8th place team. TOR is coming off an inspirational victory over the injury and offensively challenged NJ club. One thing I really liked about TOR's play against NJ was that they didn't take any dumb penalties. This is certainly one thing you do not want to do against a BUF club that leads the league in goals scored thus far with 266 goals.

One thing that TOR has improved tremendously as of late is their shots on goal against. Their "d", despite the fact they were playing without Kaberle, has allowed on average 26 shots over the past 5 games. In contrast, their offence has amassed roughly 34 shots per game over that same span. Any time your team can keep the opponent from taking shots at your goalie and at the same time you can produce some of your own offensive attacks, you increase your chance of winning dramatically. I think if TOR can keep BUF under 30 shots tonight, they stand a chance to win or at least stay competitive. I don't think TOR will win both games as they have only swept a back-to-back once in their past 12 attempts.

However, I think TOR stands a better chance to win on the road in BUF as it seems to be their "true" home court as legions of Leaf fans travel the short distance and provide the ample support sorely missed at the ACC. I'm a little surprised of the total for this game as I was expecting 6.5. I think the books are adjusting to the fact that TOR has not scored recently but I also think that they have miscalculated the fact that TOR really gets up for these games in BUF and usually results in a high pace high scoring game. I really hope TOR wins tonight because it would set up nicely for a revenge play for BUF tomorrow night. So without further ado...

TOR (+0.5) +110 - 1 Unit
O 6.0 -115 - 1 Unit

Last edited:
nothing for me today... I do lean to this play.. I mean how could I not? but still for some reason my gut is saying lay off. Having Marannen in net is a nice bonus too.

GL DX

Santa, if I had to bet the farm on one play today, it would be COL. I'm very comfortable knowing that COL will hand EDM yet another loss and now that I know Jussi will be in net, it makes the play even better. COL needs this win badly as their final 8 games include: Vancouver (3 times!), MIN, NAS, CAL (twice) and PHX. Their road ahead is certainly a difficult one.

I like em both. Seriously, apart from Dallas ML these two are the ones I'm looking at. GL tonight buddy. :shake:

Good luck dx I think youre probably right, but Im gonna sit it out too. Im gonna wait til tomorrow night.

When I waiver I just stay away. I've sided with a few tonight, Toronto over, Dallas Under (until Turco was in), the Kings / Hawks over and the Avs... but have gone back and forth and cant be decisive and I dont want to put my money on indecision.

Going back to the well and fading the oilers again. Also on Av's regulation.
I seriously don't think they'll win another game this year.
Damn, should've jumped on the line when it came out.
It has gone from 1.76 to 1.68 and now 1.641...
BOL!

Adding...

DAL vs. ANH

Even though both teams have secured their playoff spots, this game actually means something for DAL. They are still within reach of ANH and SJ for 1st overall in their division and arguably have the easiest schedule down the stretch with games versus CLB, CHI, and PHX. ANH has been struggling lately again crap teams losing to teams like LA, PHX and CLB. DAL has played well against ANH as of late allowing only 1 goal in their last 2 matchups. Of course, that was with Mike Smith in net. Marty Turco gets the nod tonight which be bad news since in 4 games this year he has lost 3 of them while giving up an uncharacteristic 16 goals. That's pretty awful for a top notch goaltender. This is the only thing that stopped me from taking DAL on the ML. I think there is a high probability that this game can go into OT tonight. DAL defense has been terrific lately allowing less than 25 shots on net per game over their last 5 games.

DAL (+0.5) -120 - 1 Unit

Grand Salami O 23 -112 - 1 Unit

I'm on Dallas as well. I took Colorado at my local book (1.85 SU) so I won't publish a play since Pinny has it at 1.69, I don't like the odds.

Anyways, GL. :shake:

Thanks BetCrimes, I know what you mean. I've cried a lot over this already tonight. Damn Leafs! That was the worst lost of all this year.

Back