Friday Bases (spotlighting Danks & Pelfrey)...

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
ML fav sides: 12-9 (+87)
ML dog sides: 7-7 (+120)
Totals: 4-2 (+460)
Overall: 23-18 (+667)

Thursday: 4-1 (+340)

First off, I'd like to share some info with you guys straight from my baseball bible (BA 2007 prospect handbook) spotlighting a couple young arms that I'm backing today. (this is a synopsis taken from me, from the Baseball America handbook in which I have purchased; not my writeups)

Friday 420

White Sox +105 100->105

John Danks offers a a rare package for a 22-year-old lefthander, with a polished three-pitch mix and a track record of success up through Triple-A. His tight 1-to-7 curveball rated as his best pitch coming out of high school, but since then his tumbling changeup has also become a plus offering. His changeup is now more reliable than his curveball. He also has a four-seam fastball that sits at 90-92 and tops out at 94. Danks added a two-seam version in 2006 to help him widen the strike zone. He has a clean arm action from a high-three quarters slot and does a good job repeating his easy delivery. Danks has started to fill out his durable, athletic frame, and he could add a little more velocity. His baseball IQ is outstanding, and he has a better feel for pitching than most hurlers his age. He does a good job of holding runners, as nine of 21 basestealers (43 percent) were caught on his watch in 2006.

At this point, it's just a matter of fine-tuning for Danks. He still needs to command his fastball better, because while he can throw it for strikes at any time, he gets punished sometimes when he leaves it up in the zone. His fastball is firm but not overpowering, so he needs to get ahead early in the count. Danks' command of his curveball comes and goes, though his changeup often bails him out. He'll need a more consistent curve in order to reach his ceiling as a No. 2 starter.

Mets +105 100->105

There were few pitchers in the minors whose fastball rivaled Mike Pelfrey's. His two-seamer sits at 92-95 mph with fierce sink and late life and rates as a 70 on the 20-80 scouting scale. He throws it effortlessly from a 6-foot-7 frame on a steep downhill plane with great extension and solid command. He also has a four-seamer for extra velocity higher in the zone. Though Pelfrey barely needed to use a changeup as an amateur, he already has a good feel for it and it's his No. 2 pitch. He fiddled with his grip in 2006 and improved his command of the pitch. He fields his position well and has a good pickoff move, though the Mets would like to see him get faster to the plate from the stretch.

A lack of a reliable breaking ball is the biggest thing holding Pelfrey back. He has thrown both a curveball and a slider but now favors the slider, which is better suited for his power arm. He throws it at 84-87 mph with some depth, and he can reduce break on it to give it more of a cutter look against lefthanders. He has yet to learn how to command his slider consistently, and it probably always will be his third-best pitch. Though his mechanics are clean, he tends to over-rotate his lower half in his windup, which hurts his ability to locate his pitches. If not for a sore back that limited him late in the season, Pelfrey would have been in the mix for a spot in the postseason bullpen. He should be in the Mets rotation for years to come and has the potential to be a legitimate No. 1 starter.

Last edited:
Good luck with the rookie, I will be rooting hard for some runs from the WSox hitters vs. Durbin

Might have to stay away from that Met game even though I think you are on the right side. Hudson has looked strong early on. Think the Mets offense will be too much for him to handle and the Braves will struggle to score a little. GL with your play. :cheers:

Thanks Santa, ETG, Hunt, Trout, Renew, RSMS & ATG.. gl to you guys

Trout - Baseball runs thick.. pitched in college and blew out my elbow my senior year, underwent Tommy John surgery, and never played again. I'll be working as a pitching coach this summer with a high school aged traveling team. Really looking forward to getting my feet wet to see how I like it.

Fri recap: 5-1 +405

Saturday Leans...

Mets (Perez)
Orioles (Loewen)
Phils/Reds Under 9.5 (Hamels/Milton)

Back tomorrow

Back