Forgive me for this rant. Re: Jax St

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
One thing I will never understand is why college football coaches, especially those who coach heavy underdogs, feel it is necessary to turn themselves into sniveling simpering frightened cowards whenever they are in the position to actually pull off a monumental upset. It happened again yesterday, with Jacksonville State's coach doing the honors. I won't even bother looking up his name.

We all know that Jacksonville St's players played a great game yesterday. They moved the ball on Auburn, stopped their offense and went toe to toe with them all day. Obviously they aren't the equal of Auburn overall, but yesterday they were. They should have been confident because they proved for 3 hours that they could compete. Late in the game, they get a turnover while up 20-13. One first down pretty much clinches the game for them because Auburn will be out of timeouts. If the coaching staff shows any kind of confidence in their players, you do what you've done all day: run your offense and get a first down. But no....in college football, a transformation takes place. Instead of going out and winning the game, they revert to the fetal position and run 3 line plunges hoping to run time off the clock, deathly afraid of some sort of turnover. The predictable happens. They punt, their FCS punter has pee running down his leg, Auburn gets it in great field position and they score, because in college football, teams have proven time and time again that very little time is needed to score due to the clock stopping on first downs. Even 40 seconds with no time outs is an eternity. There was obviously plenty of time for that so "running clock" did you no good anyway.

Then, with a full 38 seconds on the clock and the ball at the 35 yard line, they take a knee to play for overtime. Why would anyone do that? Why would you forfeit a possession in a tie game? THIS IS YOUR CHANCE ASSHOLE!!! Does anyone think that Auburn wasn't thanking their lucky stars that they didn't have to stop them one more time, with all the craziness that can happen in a final minute? Even if Jax State threw a pick, and Auburn won in regulation, is that somehow worse than losing in OT? Do you get 2 losses in that scenario? Everyone in the stadium, and probably in the country knew that Auburn is winning that game if it goes to OT.

I'll never understand why coaches, when it's time to win a game, will always go the coward's route and in effect reduce their team's chances of winning the game. Like I said before, it's almost like there is some payoff to losing "conservatively" rather than playing aggressively to get the win. It's maddening.

Spot on. Do me a favor and listen to a game that Dave Wandstadt calls and you will hear the mentality of some coaches.

Everytime a team gets to redzone, he says "no sacks and dont turn ball over!" Then every 2nd or 3rd and long he says "draw or screen here is perfect".

I really wish some D1 program would have the balls to hire that HS coach that goes for it on every 4th down and kicks onside every time. He'd likely have to change his philosophy a little with college athletes but it would be refreshing to see.

Spot on. Do me a favor and listen to a game that Dave Wandstadt calls and you will hear the mentality of some coaches.

Everytime a team gets to redzone, he says "no sacks and dont turn ball over!" Then every 2nd or 3rd and long he says "draw or screen here is perfect".

haha so true

Coaches are so scared of blowing the game, they forget to win it

I really wish some D1 program would have the balls to hire that HS coach that goes for it on every 4th down and kicks onside every time. He'd likely have to change his philosophy a little with college athletes but it would be refreshing to see.

Kevin Kelley, the head football coach at Pulaski Academy in Arkansas

And he just beat the heck out of some team in Texas that hadn't lost at home since like 1997 (that sounds impossible, but I swear I saw that somewhere). FWIW, I think you get a lot more bang for your buck on this stuff in HS than you would in college (the value of a 45-yard punt is somewhat greater than the 25 yard punt; and the quality of the opposing FG kickers is exponentially better).

With that out of the way, I was truly stunned by the JSU coach's decision. To some extent, that idiot was already in OT, except it was an OT in which only his team got the ball. The way they had moved the ball all day, it was just a scandalous decision.

I wish the god some MF team would hire me i'm not MF kidding I could out coach almost ever coach i;m not kidding I coach ed some in high school but you have to no somebody in the buss

Back