For Those Who Enjoy Betting Stories…

C-MAN

Pretty much a regular
So, last Saturday I’m in a hockey rink outside Rochester NY waiting for my sons hockey game to start. The complex has a couple sheets of ice and the rink next-door had an open skate so and I take my other kids out to kill some time. There is a guy there all alone wobbling around the ice with an Arkansas Razorbacks sweatshirt on. I had a strange encounter with the guy and it struck me as odd that this guy would have an Arkansas hoodie on in a hockey rink in upstate New York that I decided to play Arkansas on the ML vs Tex A&M. Of course I texted all my buddies and told them I received a sign from God … and they should all bet the hogs. Arkansas wins.

This morning I go out to Jersey Mike’s to get a couple subs for lunch and as I’m waiting for my order this old guy walks in and is wearing a Stanford hoodie. You don’t see Stanford hoodies too often in the suburbs of Pittsburgh PA. So I started laughing and shaking my head and the guy could tell I was laughing at him and he asked me “what’s so funny?” I tell this complete stranger that he’s my sign from God for the week and that Stanford was going to win. He says “go for it son”. Of course I texted all my buddies again. Some of them tailed (the others are fools).

Not sure where I’m going to go next Saturday morning but you can bet I’m going to be looking for the random college hoodie in the crowd.

So, last Saturday I’m in a hockey rink outside Rochester NY waiting for my sons hockey game to start. The complex has a couple sheets of ice and the rink next-door had an open skate so and I take my other kids out to kill some time. There is a guy there all alone wobbling around the ice with an Arkansas Razorbacks sweatshirt on. I had a strange encounter with the guy and it struck me as odd that this guy would have an Arkansas hoodie on in a hockey rink in upstate New York that I decided to play Arkansas on the ML vs Tex A&M. Of course I texted all my buddies and told them I received a sign from God … and they should all bet the hogs. Arkansas wins.

This morning I go out to Jersey Mike’s to get a couple subs for lunch and as I’m waiting for my order this old guy walks in and is wearing a Stanford hoodie. You don’t see Stanford hoodies too often in the suburbs of Pittsburgh PA. So I started laughing and shaking my head and the guy could tell I was laughing at him and he asked me “what’s so funny?” I tell this complete stranger that he’s my sign from God for the week and that Stanford was going to win. He says “go for it son”. Of course I texted all my buddies again. Some of them tailed (the others are fools).

Not sure where I’m going to go next Saturday morning but you can bet I’m going to be looking for the random college hoodie in the crowd.

Signs from above are part of the formula.

I grew up in Pittsford. Played for the Pittsford Mustang Soccer Club. Love that part of the country. grats on the hits and great story

I almost never ever go to high school football games, like maybe 4 in 20 years. I looked up the year, 2008. So my wife drags me to a high school football game that I don't know why we had to attend. I have an entire closet full of college shirts and have a good number of hats as well. I knew I was going to ML ECU the next day vs Virginia Tech, so I grab my ECU hat and leave for the game. I'm in northeast Ohio. So a guy comes up to me and says, "are you an East Carolina fan?" I say "no just they are going to win tomorrow". Guy says "oh wow, I'm a big fan of Skip Holtz and I've never seen anyone wear any east carolina stuff" (because yeah, why would he?). I bet tons of teams that don't win, some do, he caught me on a right side...your story reminded me of that, like he could be like "WTF is some guy doing in Youngstown wearing ECU hat" - and they won! So I was like the guy in the Arkansas shirt or the Stanford shirt once. Stories like this are cool!

Lol, I thought I was the only one who looks for "signs".

I remember a few years ago I was hiking in a pretty remote area on a Monday morning. The Redskins were a road dog to somebody that night and I didn't know who I was gonna bet yet. So I get down to this creek bottom and lo and behold there's a family with mom, dad, and two little ones. They were here on vacation and all had Washington sweatshirts on and I stopped to chat with them for a while.

Bet the 'Skins that night just because of that and they cashed...

Holy shit. Just saw a girl wearing Appalachian State #12 jersey. Talk about random. You know what to do!

Would drive you bonkers here when any given trip to the grocery store you'd see at least 5-10 different signs.

That said, saw a guy buying beer today wearing a Fields Bears jersey, and my only thought was that I can't believe as proud and tough as Bears fans are that someone actually shelled out for Fields of all players. But maybe it was a sign...pondering now.

Haha. Maybe KJ. As long as you don’t live near Chicago or in a city that has a lot of tourism. Of course I see plenty of Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, ND, tOSU, etc around here but when I see one that seems unusual - on a Saturday morning - that’s when I make the post.

Haha. Maybe KJ. As long as you don’t live near Chicago or in a city that has a lot of tourism. Of course I see plenty of Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, ND, tOSU, etc around here but when I see one that seems unusual - on a Saturday morning - that’s when I make the post.
Yeah in Phx we see all kinds of stuff

I mean one of the bigger places to watch Wisky and Green Bay in North Phx also caters to Iowa...not sure how days like this go down. It's really the only one I know of that splits duties. They tried to do Notre Dame too but Wisky and Iowa fans were having none of it. Most teams from the Midwest and West Coast have multiple team watch bars here, throw in the Steelers and Cowboys too so it's likely to throw you off when you see hoods/jerseys of teams who are playing each other

In Pittsburgh, we pretty much just have Pittsburgh bars. Not many transplants here.
Always strange when I go back to the Midwest and ask for Cardinals or Suns games, pretty much on an island. Was culture shock in KC one time when every tv was on the Chiefs game. Figured with fantasy people would want to watch all the games but not at the place we went. Had the Cards game put on in the back. I know it was like that growing up and in college but fantasy didn't blow up til I moved out here

You can go into some places around here on a Monday night and they’ll have all of the TVs on the Penguins game and you have to ask them to put one on MNF. And then, once they spend 15 mins figuring out how to work the remote, they will put it on one of the smaller ones.

• Haha
Reactions: KJ
So, I’m in Pittsburgh and the Alabama club hockey team just walked into the rink my kid is playing at….saw about 15 Alabama jerseys so this will be a big play for me….

Back