for fab14: GOOD article on Flames chances

LeRinkRat

Pretty much a regular
https://www.nhl.com/news/sean-monahan-flames-thinking-playoffs/c-299896458

Sean Monahan says additions have Flames thinking playoffs. he feels new coach Peters, Neal, Lindholm, Hanifin bolster their chances

CALGARY -- Sean Monahan is hopeful the changes the Calgary Flames made this offseason will be enough to help them return to the Stanley Cup Playoffs after failing to qualify last season.

Bill Peters was hired as coach April 23, replacing Glen Gulutzan. Forward Elias Lindholm and defenseman Noah Hanifin were acquired in a trade with the Carolina Hurricanes on June 23 for defenseman Dougie Hamilton, forward Micheal Ferland and defenseman prospect Adam Fox. Forwards James Neal, Derek Ryan and Austin Czarnik each signed as a free agent.

The newcomers will join the core of Monahan, forwards Johnny Gaudreau, Matthew Tkachuk and Mikael Backlund, and defenseman Mark Giordano (my question is CAN Mike Smith carry the load in goal ???)

look for a #1 line of Sean Monahan, Johnny Gaudreau and James Neal who had 25 goals and 19 assist for 44 points in 71 games with the Vegas Golden Knights last season and was solid in the playoffs with 6 goals and 5 assist in 20 games

After making the playoffs in 2017, the Flames finished 11 points behind the Colorado Avalanche last season for the second wild card from the Western Conference.

Flames over / under total point 93 1/2
Flames "to make the playoffs"? YES -200 NO +170
Flames "to win" Pacific Division? 6-1
Flames "to win" Western Conference 20-1
Flames "to win" Stanley Cup 40-1

Last edited:
I think Calgary is looking really good this year. They always seem to have the pieces but injuries or something else happens and they end up falling apart. I guess it's just a question of how quickly the team adapts to whatever system Bill Peters brings them.

Me thinks it going to be a fun year in Flames country:tiphat::siren::hockeyref:

Back