Food City 500 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Food City 500 Top Betting Pick

NASCAR Cup Series Food City 500
Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 3:30 p.m. ET on FS1 at Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, Tennessee

Moved From Saturday To Sunday

Wednesday’s Alsco Uniforms 500 was rained out on Wednesday and postponed until last night (Thursday).

As a result, the next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule, which is the Food City 500, was postponed until Sunday afternoon.

Starting Position

Remember that NASCAR, in its revised schedule, has foregone both qualifying and practice. So, the starting position will be determined by random draw.

Anyhow, starting position at Bristol Motor Speedway is largely a matter of mere form.

Take the best five drivers at the track based on average finishing position since February 2018.

Four of those five drivers average a starting position outside the top 10.

Race Info

The Food City 500 is so-named because it consists of 500 laps,

On Bristol’s .533 mile-long track, each driver accumulates 266.5 miles.

Three stages will make up the race.

Stage One will end after 125 laps. Stage Two requires 125 more laps. Stage Three encompasses the final 250 laps.

While the short, approximately half-mile track hinders the overall speed, the banking is very high, which encourages overall speed.

Kyle Busch

Kyle Busch is the driver who I want to invest in.

I have two main reasons:

One, he tends to bounce back after suffering a poor finishing position in his prior race.

On May 17 at Darlington, for example, he finished in 26th place.

In the following race, on May 20, he finished in second place.

Two, he has a superb overall and recent history in Bristol, stronger than any other active driver.

Of all active drivers, Kyle Busch has the most wins at this track with eight.

His eight wins at Bristol are at least twice as many as every current competitor besides one, his brother Kurt.

Among all active drivers, Kyle Busch also has the second-most top-five finishes at Bristol Motor Speedway.

He has reproven his superiority at Bristol in recent history as well.

Since February 2018, out of four races at Bristol Motor Speedway, Kyle Busch leads active drivers both with two wins and with three top-five finishes.

Racing Surface

I want to explore why Kyle Busch thrives at Bristol. The reason must have to do with something that is unique about the track.

Theory number one is: Kyle Busch stylistically favors the unique racing surface.

Bristol Motor Speedway is one of three tracks that feature concrete material.

To be clear, the only other track that consists entirely of concrete is Dover. Martinsville also presents a concrete surface, but only on part of its track.

Because Kyle Busch absolutely struggles at Dover and isn’t particularly special in Martinsville, I don’t think that the racing surface plays a decisive role.

Bristol’s Own Nuances

Bristol Motor Speedway has its own nuances.

Sure, it consists of the same surface material that Dover does and that, partly, Martinsville does as well.

But Bristol still, very much, presents a different kind of beast with anomalous features.

Due to the short track length, BMS has two sets of pits, i.e., two pit roads.

This track distinguishes itself with its limited space. Turns, especially, are tight.

With so many cars confined in tighter proximity, crashes must be harder to avoid.

There is also less room to maneuver around crashes and around lapped cars, which come relatively early.

The Verdict

I recommend betting on Kyle Busch because he is in a personal bounce-back spot and because he enjoys a strong history at Bristol where he has evidently mastered the track’s nuances.

You can join me in betting on him to win the race at nicer odds or wait until oddsmakers release Top-Three Finish props.

Best Bet: Kyle Busch To Win Food City 500

I've never been a huge NASCAR guy until earlier this year, but I have to say betting these H2H matchups and watching the races with a few beers is some of the most enjoyment I've gotten from a bet before. Maybe this is the Quarantine talking and I'm misremembering what other sports bets feel like, but I think I will continue to be a NASCAR fan and bettor long after things are back to normal.

I've never been a huge NASCAR guy until earlier this year, but I have to say betting these H2H matchups and watching the races with a few beers is some of the most enjoyment I've gotten from a bet before. Maybe this is the Quarantine talking and I'm misremembering what other sports bets feel like, but I think I will continue to be a NASCAR fan and bettor long after things are back to normal.

There‘s a racetrack in Chicago right?

There‘s a racetrack in Chicago right?

Yeah - haven't made it there yet before. I went to Talladega a few times in college since the college weekend passes were like $15 - got a camping spot Friday - Monday, tickets to the races Friday and Sunday - and a ticket to whatever concert was Saturday night - was Brad Paisley and Easton Corbin the two times we went. Was always fun to throw on some cut up jorts and a sleeveless PBR/Bud shirts and just get rowdy all weekend.

Yeah - haven't made it there yet before. I went to Talladega a few times in college since the college weekend passes were like $15 - got a camping spot Friday - Monday, tickets to the races Friday and Sunday - and a ticket to whatever concert was Saturday night - was Brad Paisley and Easton Corbin the two times we went. Was always fun to throw on some cut up jorts and a sleeveless PBR/Bud shirts and just get rowdy all weekend.

Dunno if they still do it, but used to be able to bring your own cooler in with whatever you could fit as long as it wasn't glass (to the races)

Need 1 matchup boys Little help here. Racing definitely not my strength...thoughts on these?

Either looking at
Busch -140 over Harvick
Blaney -160 over Bowman
Logano -135 over Keselowski

Not a good day from me at all. Somehow lucked out and had a winning day but I didn’t cap today well at all. But as bad as I got screwed last Sunday, guess it all comes back around

How do you cap this stuff lol? I‘m used to breaking down technical match-up details but finding that difficult. I‘m very new to this

How do you cap this stuff lol? I‘m used to breaking down technical match-up details but finding that difficult. I‘m very new to this

I look a lot at how they’ve ran the last few races, how they traditionally do at the current track, where they are running at - usually you’d use qualifying runs too but those arent happening right now.

I look a lot at how they’ve ran the last few races, how they traditionally do at the current track, where they are running at - usually you’d use qualifying runs too but those arent happening right now.

How does „where they are running at“ matter independently of their history there?

Back