Fondybadger's Week 3 College Football Wagers

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
Season Record 113-89-6 -$1538
Doubt I'll have time to do write-ups this week. If you'd like thoughts on a game, ask and I'll do my best to give you my thoughts. If you disagree with a play, let me know why. Thanks.

Week Three
50-42-7 -$736
:smiley_acbe:Good luck this week! :smiley_acbe:

Last edited:
Side I'm on is bolded and in blue.

Thursday

7:45 - North Carolina at Rutgers (ESPN)

Friday

8:00 - Kansas at South Florida (ESPN2)
Washington State at Baylor (FSN)

Saturday
11:00 am
Air Force at Houston (CBS-C)

12:00 pm

Navy at Duke (ESPNU)
Toledo at Eastern Michigan
Iowa State at Iowa (Big 10)
North Carolina State at Clemson (ESPN Game Plan)
California at Maryland (ESPN/ESPN2)
Florida Atlantic at Michigan State (ESPN/ESPN2)
Temple at Buffalo (ESPN Game Plan)
UL - Lafayette at Illinois (Big 10)

12:30
Nevada at Missouri
UAB at Tennessee (ESPN Game Plan)

1:00

Ball State at Akron
Stanford at TCU (MTN)

2:00

Central Michigan at Ohio

3:00

East Carolina at Tulane

3:30

UCLA at BYU (Versus)
Oregon at Purdue (ABC)
Georgia at South Carolina (CBS)
Penn State at Syracuse (ESPN Game Plan)
Michigan at Notre Dame (NBC)

4:00

Hawaii at Oregon State (FSN)

5:00

Western Michigan at Idaho

7:00

Rice at Vanderbilt
Auburn at Mississippi State (ESPN2)
SMU at Texas Tech (FSN)
New Mexico State at Nebraska
Memphis at Marshall
Western Kentucky at Alabama (ESPN Game Plan)
Southern Mississippi at Arkansas State
Middle Tennessee State at Kentucky (ESPN Game Plan)

7:30

Virginia at Connecticut (ESPNU)
Oklahoma at Washington (ESPN)

8:00

Ohio State at USC (ABC)
Arizona at New Mexico (CBS)
Bowling Green at Boise State (ESPN Game Plan)
Utah at Utah State (ESPN Game Plan)
San Diego State at San Jose State
North Texas at LSU

10:00

UNLV at Arizona State (FSN)

10:30

Wisconsin at Fresno State (ESPN2)

Last edited:
Scratch Fresno State from that list. Was hoping to get 6 or so, but if Fresno State opens as the favorite I'll be on Wisconsin.

i wasn't impressed with fresno when they played rutgers. Rutgers should have been ahead by about 2 TD at half. Instead, it was 0-0. How's Everidge looking fondy? He's from a suburb of omaha here.

Fondy -

Curious to hear your thoughts on playing ND. As a big ND fan (and a guy who saw the game from an awesome seat yesterday), I don't like ND's spot here, especially covering 4 points. I see this game as one that will be a dogfight with two average offenses (although I expect ND to improve a bit) and two slightly above average defenses. If anything, I may take a look at the under, which I typically stay away from.

BOL.

i wasn't impressed with fresno when they played rutgers. Rutgers should have been ahead by about 2 TD at half. Instead, it was 0-0. How's Everidge looking fondy? He's from a suburb of omaha here.

I'd have to say rusty. He hasn't played in 3 years on a week by week basis. That year of playing in the Big 12 should have him prepared to go on his first road game. The intensity level shown by Wisconsin out of the gate has be concerned, as does the amount of penalties and turnovers. Hopefully Wisconsin got that out of the way in the first two weeks and that won't be an issue. I believe both TE Travis Beckum (really helping Everidge) and LB Casillas will be available for this game for the first time this season.

Fondy -

Curious to hear your thoughts on playing ND. As a big ND fan (and a guy who saw the game from an awesome seat yesterday), I don't like ND's spot here, especially covering 4 points. I see this game as one that will be a dogfight with two average offenses (although I expect ND to improve a bit) and two slightly above average defenses. If anything, I may take a look at the under, which I typically stay away from.

BOL.

My thoughts on this game was Notre Dame would start a bit slow last week, but really pick it up and cover both 1H & game. As they showed in mid 3Q and in the 4th they can buckle down on defense and put some points on the board. Michigan has struggled the last two weeks. It will be their first road game. I trust Notre Dame's offense a lot more.

nd just looks so slow. in fact, everyone on that field does. It's like they kept it at the same length as the USC/ND game from 05.

Good stuff Fondy. I do look for ND's offense to come out and look much better next week. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see them use the no huddle approach much more to get them in a flow. After rewatching yesterday's game, you have to be impressed with Jimmy Clausen and Golden Tate at WR. Plus, Duval Kamara just flat out had a bad game and put ND in a tough position on both interceptions.

The area that concerns me for ND is that of their run defense. Given SDSU's approach yesterday, ND spent the majority of the day in a nickel defense. In fact, their starting NT, Ian Williams, I don't believe played at all. With that said, next week will be interesting. However, given Michigan's inexperience on the O-line, ND may be okay.

Anyways, BOL with your plays. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Early Plays
$100 California -13 -110
$100 Oregon -6.5 -110
$100 Notre Dame +1 -115
$100 Ohio State +10.5 -110
$100 Texas -23.5 -110

$100 Duke -1.5

I wanted to wait on other games until my local had lines up, but it jumped to 2.5 at greek, so pulled the trigger at bookmaker. Should have hopped on when it was at a pk, or those few moments Navy was the favorite.

$300 Duke pk -112
I hit this earlier at -1.5 as I wanted some money under -3. My local lines came out late tonight and it was at a pk so I'm happy with that. Believe most offshores are around 2 or 2.5 right now. I love the line at -3 or under and feel it's a very solid play all the way up to -7 and an average at -10 or under. Believe Duke wins this game by double digits. Last two years points have been flying on the scoreboard between these two teams as Navy has taken control. Duke's team has improved greatly and Navy isn't what it once was. I think there's enough team speed on Duke's side of the ball to take control of the game. I'll be looking at the over when this one comes out too.

$200 Oregon -7 -102
$300 Texas -23 -105
$300 Houston -4.5 -115
(like up to -7)
$200 California -13.5 -115
$200 East Carolina -13.5 -105
$200 Arizona -10 -102

Potential Additions
Wisconsin -1
Iowa State +13
Florida Atlantic +17
MTSU +16.5
Stanford +12
Clemson -18.5
LSU -41.5

Fondy my line just jumped to 7 for Rutgers, I would like to know how strongly do you feel about them covering 7

Fondy my line just jumped to 7 for Rutgers, I would like to know how strongly do you feel about them covering 7

I'm not that familiar with UNC this year besides knowing they return 17 starters. Take what you want from this article and the final score...

Tate leads way for Tar Heels against McNeese State

By AARON BEARD, AP Sports Writer Aug 30, 11:11 pm EDT

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP)—Brandon Tate put on a dazzling one-man show, scoring on an 82-yard punt return and putting North Carolina ahead for good with a 57-yard catch to help the Tar Heels hold off McNeese State 35-27 on Saturday.

Tate finished with a school-record 397 all-purpose yards for the Tar Heels, who showed little else in an unimpressive start to their second season under Butch Davis. In a game suspended nearly two hours due to weather, they blew a 14-0 first-half lead and had to rally from a third-quarter deficit against a Football Championship Subdivision opponent that outplayed them much of the way.

For all the preseason optimism that has abounded here, North Carolina had to rely almost solely on Tate’s ability to weave through oncoming defenders or break free from the clutches of would-be tacklers on this night.
The senior started with a 56-yard return on the opening kickoff and had a 54-yard run that helped set up the Tar Heels’ second touchdown. He also had a 38-yard punt return in the first quarter, finishing with 106 yards rushing and 93 yards receiving to break the school record of 339 all-purpose yards set by Derrick Fenner in 1986.

The 397 yards were second-most in Atlantic Coast Conference history.
Brooks Foster also had a touchdown catch for North Carolina, which compiled most of its 384 yards in the final 20 minutes. Shaun Draughn and Greg Little ran for fourth-quarter touchdowns that helped the Tar Heels stay in front.

Derrick Fourroux and Mark Fontenot ran for scores to lead the Cowboys, who scored 20 unanswered points after the game resumed. But after Fourroux’s 2-yard score for the 20-14 third-quarter lead, the Tar Heels answered by going to—who else?—Tate.

Facing a third-and-6 near midfield, T.J. Yates heaved the ball deep to Tate, who caught it in stride and raced into the end zone for a 21-20 lead with 4:35 left in the third quarter.

Tate later broke the school record in fitting fashion, taking a handoff to the right side, then breaking free from Joshua Ellison—who had a hold of Tate’s collar—and reversing field for a 20-yard gain early in the fourth.

The Tar Heels came into the season as the popular choice to challenge Virginia Tech for the ACC’s Coastal Division crown. But North Carolina went three-and-out on its first drive, lost a fumble on its second and went three-and-out on its third before Tate scored on his 82-yard return.
Ultimately, the only thing that slowed Tate was the weather.

Officials suspended the game due to lightning with North Carolina leading 14-0 on Foster’s short TD catch with 12:03 left in the first half. Both teams headed to the locker room before heavy rain arrived in a delay that lasted 1 hour, 48 minutes. A large chunk of the home crowd didn’t return, and halftime was reduced to 5 minutes.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

<!-- INLINE TABLE (BEGIN) --> <table id="inlinetable" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="180"> <tbody><tr><th colspan="2" style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><center>Grading the Tar Heels</center></th> </tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" width="110">Unit</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" width="50"><center>Grade</center></td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="110"> Offense </td> <td width="50"> <center>C</center> </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="110"> Special teams </td> <td width="50"> <center>C</center> </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="110"> Defense </td> <td width="50"> <center>B+</center> </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="110"> Intangibles </td> <td width="50"> <center>B</center> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- INLINE TABLE (END) --> Butch Davis overcame adversity from all sides last season, but he, and his team, will be the better for it. After winning four games a year ago, the Tar Heels will be looking to take another step in 2008, and if quarterback T.J. Yates is recovered from offseason shoulder surgery, the potential is there to do just that.
There are plenty of question marks -- those don't go away overnight -- but Davis and his staff have recruited well and have begun to bring in quality athletes who will provide depth. A year ago, starters had to log so much time on special teams that they wore out at the end.
In 2008, talented redshirt freshmen, and a few freshmen, will give provide help on special teams, and some will be inserted into the action elsewhere.
This program is making a steady climb upward. But the Tar Heels are still fragile in spots, a problem that can only be overcome by a few years of consistent recruiting, not only for need but for depth.

unc covers and ov probably fondy. I think they give up a lot to rutgers and they'll get there share with the experienced Tate

unc covers and ov probably fondy. I think they give up a lot to rutgers and they'll get there share with the experienced Tate

Damn, I was right on this one bro...... I knowa lot about this shitty acc

Duke/Navy?

You think Duke can stop Navy's running game? Seeing reports that Navy gets there QB back?

Thoughts on that game if you get a 2nd.

Good luck on your plays.

Duke/Navy?

You think Duke can stop Navy's running game? Seeing reports that Navy gets there QB back?

Good luck on your plays.

I agree, theres alot of risk in playing this game.. it sure would not be my top play of the weekend.. Navy has potential to crush duke with that triple threat Offense and with their original QB back in this position. They have never faced an offensive scheme like this - it could pose problems for the Duke D-line. I really belive they make their adjustments on Defense that hurt them vs Ball State and I wouldnt be surprised if they win straight up by double digits

Duke/Navy?

Good luck on your plays.

Last week Duke owned the time of possession against a very much improved Northwestern team (although they really haven't shown it first two weeks). If they could have limited a few costly penalties and got one of their two fourth down attempts they very likely would have won the game. Dukes defense held Sutton and co. to 77 yards w/ under a 3 ypa average. I also don't feel that Navy is as solid running the ball this season with an inexperienced offensive line. There defense is nothing to write home about and if they get down, it will be extremely tough for them to come back. Also think Duke will be looking for their first win for the coach and pay back from last seasons loss to Navy.

I agree, theres alot of risk in playing this game.. it sure would not be my top play of the weekend.. Navy has potential to crush duke with that triple threat Offense and with their original QB back in this position. They have never faced an offensive scheme like this - it could pose problems for the Duke D-line. I really belive they make their adjustments on Defense that hurt them vs Ball State and I wouldnt be surprised if they win straight up by double digits

They've played Navy the last two years. While it's a longtime assistant taking over, I don't feel the offense is as crisp as it was in its heyday. I really see Duke shutting things down and winning by DD's.

I'm glad I didn't listen :pillow:... added 1H over instead of game and then more on rutgers 1H/game.

Should have let you talk sense into me.

I'm on Kansas, tonight I like their defense and Grothe is good but Reesing is better to me and proven. Better schedule and if I remember USF did well escaping last week and miss the speed from last year at RB. need a first half play,.

gl fondo, i cant talk you off duke?

(grumble) There's nothing I hate more than seeing you on the opposite side in a game. You always have a funky title making a case for your side, I miss the thread, it gets bumped up after the game by someone, and 9 times out of 10 I was on the wrong side on it and kicking myself. So without me looking here I'm assuming you're on Navy?

(grumble) There's nothing I hate more than seeing you on the opposite side in a game. You always have a funky title making a case for your side, I miss the thread, it gets bumped up after the game by someone, and 9 times out of 10 I was on the wrong side on it and kicking myself. So without me looking here I'm assuming you're on Navy?

not at all my friend. no play for me, just wondering why so heavy on duke. i heard navy gets there QB back, so that kind of scared me off the play. So im going to go back and look at the game, might roll with you on duke but for now a no play. best of luck my friend

Question about Houston play......game moved to Dallas and line down to 2....I'd assume you still dig em.

As we know, AF loves to pound on the ground and Houston showed last week they arent stopping anyone on the ground.

Thoughts?

Thx!

Back