2007 Season 232-200-3 +$3618
Week 1 23-14 +$677
Week 2 16-13 -$4220
Week 3 56-58-3 -$720
Week 4 3-2 +$168
Week 5 28-26 -$417
Week 6 64-37 +$5671
Week 7 42-50-2 +$2042

Last week was a change of pace. I won almost every BIG game, but couldn't buy a victory in my $50 plays. Made over 80 plays on Saturday and took in just over $300. Add that to the huge wins on Wednesday night 2H totals and it made for a great week. Real nice card again this week. I'm going to sound like a tout, but I'm going to start identifying my top 5-7 wagers a week with a Fondy's Favorite or something like that. People send me PM's asking what my favorite plays are and my normal reaction is to look for my larger plays... but I'll take the step to identify them in my threads so I don't have to answer that question anymore. As always, I'll update this post with all of my plays for the week and will keep a carbon copy of the plays unedited somewhere else in the thread.

Week 8 50-37-2 +$1774
Fondy Fave's 7-3 +2133

GOOD LUCK!!!
:smiley_acbe:

Last edited:
this guy is never shy about some action, wow, if i made 94 plays last wk I would be selling my moms house at 50% discount, gl this wk fondy

Thursday Wagers

$400 S. Florida -2.5 +100 (Fondy Fave)
$100 USF/Rutgers Over 52 -115

Pretty much what this game comes down to is respect. Is USF legit? Personally I think they're a very solid team that has the ability to go undefeated. At some point I think they'll be upset, but I feel
strongly that it won't be tonight. USF has a solid run defense that should be able to contain Ray Rice. Rice will get his yards, but Rutgers will manage to get themselves in trouble with turnovers and having to settle for field goals. USF is a team that will be looking to run up the score. Any chance they have to put on a show tonight and they'll go out and do it. Reading Rutger players quotes it's almost as if they believe it's Louisville from last year all over and they're very sure of themselves. I'm thinking that Rutgers just may not be as hungry for respect as USF is tonight.

$100 TCU -3 -120
It's my hope that TCU is finally over their Texas letdown. Clearly they're the better team in this match-up and are playing at home on national TV. TCU is 10-3 ATS in home games over the last 2+ years...

With you on USF. Good logic. Hope you're right
The other one scares me. Was leaning the other way.
GL

with you on USF fondy, just think they are the better team and don't see how Leavitt's bunch has a letdown tonight.

I am on Utah +3.5 tonight because I think with Johnson back this team is back on the right track. TCU has four wins against opponents that have a combined record of 6 and 19. They just don't appear to be the fierce TCU team of the past and the D hasn't been able to put the clamps down on teams like in the past. Fully expect Utah to win this game tonight.
Good health there but LETS GO BULLS!

I'll get the majority of my game leans up for the Saturday this afternoon. Hats off to Rutgers for playing a solid game last night. The coaching staff really impressed me with the way the team stuck after it and were as prepared as they were. I'm mad at myself for putting $200 on the 2H when I didn't really have a goo feel for the game after the 1H. And I proved once again last night that if you start sounding like a tout, you deserve to lose like a tout.

Friday Plays

$60 Northwestern -10 -115
$100 NW/E. Mich under 58 -110
$100 UConn -3 -105
$80 Louisville/UConn 1H under 31 -110

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">gl Fondy
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fondy, with you on Michigan, any reason from what you heard how they came from -2.5 to PK?

Dr. B and then the public thinks Illinois team is for real at home. Michigan had their hiccup at the start of the season and are ready to make their run to the Rose Bowl as their defense has started to come into their own and their offense is getting healthy.

12:00pm

$50 Miami (Oh) -5.5
$80 Indiana +7 -115
$150 CMU +17 -120
$300 Purdue -7 -105
$200 Cincinnati -9.5 -105
Northern Illinois +23.5
Army +23.5

I'm waiting on both N. Illinois and Army to hopefully get the lines at +24. I'm assuming both wagers will be in the $50-$100 range. I'm happy laying less than 6 points on a team playing Temple. Indiana has been playing well this season and PSU has been horrible on the road. Clemson isn't a high scoring team and CMU should get enough junk points to keep things interesting. We all saw what Navy did to Pitt's defense, can't wait to see what Cincy will do to it.

12:30pm & 1:00pm

$250 South Carolina -13.5 -105
$150 South Carolina 1H -7 -110
$100 Texas -25
$200 Texas 1H -13.5 -115
Oklahoma -30
Alabama pk -105 (Thinking largest play will be under 55.5)
Wake Forest -3

Vandy has had a lot of home cooking this season and their one road game they lost 35-7 to a team inferior to S. Carolina. Decided to hit 1H tonight as I liked it at -7 w/ the juice, no reason to wait until tomorrow like normal. Want to see the status of Coker tomorrow morning for Tenny and assume it will be a close game pulled off by home team. Think the under is the best bet in that one. Oklahoma game I can't get a good feel for... I'll probably play 1H Okie and then see how things are going 2H. Baylor is no stranger to being blown out, and Texas is starting to play like a team that can blow things wide open. I do like 1H better than the game line for Texas and if for some reason I'm losing the Texas wager at halftime, it sets up for a hell of a 2H wager on Texas. Couple things I want to look into tomorrow on Wake Forest, but I'm assuming that will be a $100 wager.

2:00pm & 3:00pm

$160 Air Force -3 -105
Nebraska -2 -105
Memphis pk
Nevada -7
Western Michigan +1 -115

Wyoming isn't the best road team and their ATS record last 2+ years is horrible in conference play. It's also a must win for AF at home. Ball State/WMU game is a play I'll coattail Rexy on if he has something he likes otherwise I'm staying the heck away from it. Why am I trusting in Sam Keller? Eh, I'm not, hence no play on it yet. Need to find out how drunk he gets tonight and if he's up for the game tomorrow before I put in a wager. Memphis game is a coin flip to me, and doubt I play it... Utah State is bad, real bad... but can Nevada's defense do enough to win by 7? I'm assuming I'll put a hundy on Nevada, something a bit less than that on Nebraska and avoid the other two.

42-50-2 +$2042

:36_11_6:

only person i know that can hit 42 of 92 games in a week an still profit 2 dimes from it. think imma be on uconn wit ya, good luck tonight an tomorrow.

42-50-2 +$2042

only person i know that can hit 42 of 92 games in a week an still profit 2 dimes from it. think imma be on uconn wit ya, good luck tonight an tomorrow.

Eh not something I'm proud of... especially when 2 of the wins accounted for 2k...

So I really went 40-50 +$42 on the other 90 wagers... Ah well... only lost more hair worrying about em.

Big Ten preview

By MARK STEWART
mstewart@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Oct. 18, 2007

NORTHWESTERN (4-3) at EASTERN MICHIGAN (2-5)

When: 6 tonight (ESPNU).
Player to watch: Eric Peterman, Northwestern - The junior receiver has been the major beneficiary of quarterback C.J. Bacher's hot streak, catching 21 passes for 255 yards in the last two games.
Recent history: Northwestern won, 14-6, last season in Evanston, Ill., in the teams' only meeting.
Key statistic: How explosive have the Wildcats been? Bacher has thrown for 990 yards in the last two games. Eastern Michigan quarterback Andy Schmitt has thrown for 1,093 yards in seven games this season.
Bottom line: Eastern Michigan played Michigan tough two weeks ago and could do the same against Northwestern, which will prevail nonetheless.
PENN STATE (5-2, 2-2) at INDIANA (5-2, 2-2)

When: 11 a.m. Saturday (ESPN).
Player to watch: Sean Lee, Penn State - The junior outside linebacker could soon add his name to the list of Nittany Lions greats to play the position. He has recorded 10 or more tackles in five straight games.
Recent history: Penn State used a late goal-line stand to preserve a 22-18 victory in 2004 and take a 10-0 lead in the series.
Key statistic: What is the Hoosiers' secret? Perhaps it's running the ball. Indiana has averaged 215 rushing yards in its victories, but has gained an average of 78 yards on the ground in its losses.
Bottom line: Take the Nittany Lions. Indiana still must prove it can win slug-it-out football, a Penn State specialty.
IOWA (3-4, 1-3) at PURDUE (5-2, 1-2)

When: 11 a.m. Saturday (ESPN2)
Players to watch: Kory Sheets, Dan Dierking and Jaycen Taylor, Purdue - One glaring change about Purdue during its losing streak has been the absence of a running game. Can any of these backs help turn that around against the fifth-ranked run defense in the league?
Recent history: Iowa scored a 47-17 victory last season in Iowa City, its third straight victory over the Boilermakers.
Key statistic: Watch out for hidden yards. Purdue ranks third in the nation in kickoff returns, with an average of 28.8 yards per return, and senior Dorien Bryant averages 29.7 yards per return.
Bottom line: Purdue gets up off the mat after suffering two knockouts by league heavyweights Ohio State and Michigan.
NORTH DAKOTA STATE (6-0) at MINNESOTA (1-6)

When: 11 a.m. Saturday (Big Ten Network).
Player to watch: Dominique Barber, Minnesota - The senior free safety can set the tone for a Gophers defense that has shown no bite against the Big Ten and is in danger of being embarrassed by a Bison offense that would rank 11th among FCS teams (formerly Division I-AA).
Recent history: Minnesota squeezed out a 10-9 victory last season to take a 6-0 lead in a series that resumed for the first time since 1937.
Key statistic: The most promising aspect of the loss last week to Northwestern was the return of Minnesota's run game. The Gophers gained 239 yards in 44 carries, a 5.4-yard average. It marked the first time in three games they gained more than 200 yards rushing.
Bottom line: Is the worst team in the Big Ten better than the second-best FCS team in the land? The guess here is that the Gophers will score enough points to avoid an embarrassing loss.
MICH. STATE (5-2, 1-2) at OHIO STATE (7-0, 3-0)

When: 2:30 p.m. Saturday (Channel 12)
Player to watch: Brian Robiskie, Ohio State - Michigan State's defense has allowed a receiver to gain more than 100 yards in every Big Ten game thus far. Robiskie, who ranks third in the league in receiving yards at 90.9 yards per game, is the logical candidate to have a big day this week.
Recent history: Ohio State won, 38-7, last season for its fifth straight victory over the Spartans.
Key statistic: The Buckeyes rank first in the nation in scoring defense at 6.6 points per game and total defense at 211.8 yards per contests.
Bottom line: Ohio State's defense will make life miserable for the Spartans' offense and Jim Tressel protégé Mark Dantonio.
MICHIGAN (5-2, 3-0) at ILLINOIS (5-2, 3-1)

When: 7 p.m. Saturday (Channel 12)
Player to watch: Juice Williams, Illinois - The sophomore is just the type of quarterback who gives Michigan problems. If his passes are on the mark, the Wolverines could be in trouble.
Recent history: Michigan's Mike Hart rushed for 234 yards in a 30-19 victory in 2004, its fifth straight in the series. The teams haven't played since then.
Key statistic: This should be a classic smash-mouth Big Ten game. Illinois leads the league in rushing at 243.4 yards per game and Michigan is running for an average of 201.3 per contest.
Bottom line: This could be a bad match-up for the Wolverines, whose troubles defending spread option teams have been well-chronicled.

UW not up and running

Badgers struggle to establish ground game

By JEFF POTRYKUS
jpotrykus@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Oct. 17, 2007

Madison - Not long after the 31-point loss to Penn State became official, quarterback Tyler Donovan sat in the interview room at Beaver Stadium and insisted the University of Wisconsin's two-game losing streak was more mirage than a portend of failure.
"This is a good football team," Donovan said. "The biggest thing for us is that we're not playing how we know we can play. I don't think there is really one game that we've played this year that we've been pretty happy, win or lose.
"We just need to play our kind of football."
Asked to identify what UW (5-2, 2-2 Big Ten Conference) is doing well these days and to expand on his comments, Donovan naturally focused on the offense.
"It is (getting) back to establishing the run," he said, "and being able to take our shots when they come to us in the passing game."
UW's running game was not a significant factor in the losses to Illinois and Penn State, generating only 214 yards in 65 attempts (3.3 yards per carry).
There were two reasons for the low numbers.
First, UW fell behind early in both games.
At Illinois, UW trailed by 17-0 with 7 minutes 4 seconds left in the first half and by 17-6 at halftime.
At Penn State, UW trailed by 7-0 just 1 minute 21 seconds into the game and by 24-7 at halftime.
"We've got no one to blame but ourselves," offensive coordinator Paul Chryst said, noting the deleterious effect of three turnovers at Penn State. "We don't want to be a team that is one dimensional.
"You get behind and guys (defenders) start pinning their ears back and going, and that is not the way we want to play."
Second, UW's proficiency on first-down runs hasn't been acceptable.
The overall numbers - 29 rushes for 147 yards and a 5.1-yard average - in those two games appear sound.
However, 14 of those 29 runs (48.3%) were for 3 yards or fewer. That includes 10 runs of 2 yards or fewer.
Those numbers reveal Chryst has faced second-and-long situations nearly half the time the Badgers have run the ball on first downs in those losses.
"When you can get a head of chains it is a whole different game," Chryst said. "Consistency in the run game, you always strive for that. We need to get that back."
The natural response is to pass the ball on first down.
In the losses to Illinois and Penn State, UW quarterbacks completed 16 of 32 passes for 257 yards - 8.0 yards per attempt and 16.1 yards per completion. However, the completion rate of 50% should be higher and the negative plays - three sacks and two interceptions - have hurt the overall productivity.
"We knew they were going to be able to get 6 or 7 yards here or there because they have a great power running team," Penn State linebacker Dan Connor said. "We knew as long as we didn't give up a big (play) we'd be OK.
"So we did a good job of stopping the run early and made them air it out for the rest of the game."
Beginning Saturday against Northern Illinois, UW's defense must control the play early and the offense must avoid early turnovers like P.J. Hill's fumble at Penn State.
UW is not equipped to rally from an early deficit on the arm of Donovan, particularly given the injuries to wide receivers Luke Swan and Paul Hubbard.
"Obviously with our kind of style it does take you out of a little bit of what you want to do," Donovan said, referring to the early deficits. "But then again, that can't set you back. We've got to find ways to get it done. We have to adapt.
"If that is the type of game it's going to turn out to be, that is how it's going to be. You've still got to find ways to get it done. . . .
"As a quarterback I've got to be a playmaker in this offense. I've got to be a leader and get these guys going. That's on me."

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top" width="610"><table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top" width="99%"> Journal Sentinel beat writer Jeff Potrykus answered your questions in his weekly Badgers football chat.
</td></tr> </tbody></table>
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Mark of Milwaukee - Do you think UW will win another Big Ten game? Who? Have you seen ANY improvement in ANY part of the game- penalties, defense, special teams, covering recievers???

A: Jeff Potrykus - So is everybody happy tonight? I'm sure all the questions/comments will be lucid, even-tempered and on point. So let's go. Indiana, Minny and perhaps Michigan. Coverage units are solid; Ike is playing better; Shaughnessy; Levy better this week; some of the freshmen have shown promise.
[/FONT]
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Chad Bertrang of Fairchild, WI - I'm sure they'll be doom and gloom following a tough loss, but in reality, Wisconsin is still in the hunt for a BCS bid. Indiana's a W. Ohio State is OVERRATED! Michigan is terrible. The toughest game will be at Minnesota. Book it, we'll be sipping champagne in Arroyo Seco this January!

A: Jeff Potrykus - No way, Chad. Not this crowd. But I'll say this: I want whatever you're sipping right now.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: m of nyc - why are they awful? how about finding some kids who can play and a defensive coordinator who knows how to coach??? DISGRACE

A: Jeff Potrykus - Do you think the coordinators make up the game plans without running them past the CEO?
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Mike of Colorado - Jeff: well - 2-2 in the weak Big Ten. None of this is TD's fault,but might it not be time for the preverbial "most popular player on the team"?

A: Jeff Potrykus - ALL areas of this team need tweaking and/or improvement. ALL. Get my drift?
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Dostoi of Sky - You were asked why an O-line that looks good wasn't blocking well for Hill last week. The statement was made that Hill is overrated. You gave a smart-@55 response. You are probably the journalist most intimately familiar with the team. Why don't you give us a real answer? Hill was supposed to be a Heisman caliber RB. Heisman candidates don't fumble on their first carry of the game. What's going on Jeff? Where is this team headed and what would YOU do to fix it?

A: Jeff Potrykus - I see it's time to take the trash out -- again. You'll get a similar answer this week. I believe I asked you overrated by whom and you still haven't provided a response. Can't think of one? You write he was supposed to be a Heisman-caliber TB. According to WHOM? I don't recall every writing Hill was a Heisman candidate or saying so in even the most casual conversation. Thus, it isn't my job to make a case as to why the kid isn't living up to the expectations of someone else, someone I don't even know. If you saw that written or posted somewhere and fell for it, that's your problem. Or better yet, write the guy who wrote it and ask him to defend Hill. P.J. is an above-average college TB who can be very good. He is better than he was a year ago and I wager he'll be better in the future. As for your point about Heisman candidates not fumbling on the first play, I can think of a pretty good former college runner who got shut out, stuffed, in the second half of a key game against Michigan his senior season. And regarding Hill's fumble, which was unacceptable, did you count the missed blocks on the play, the missed blocks that led to the fumble?
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Mauer 88 of Las Vegas - Jeff- In law, there is a saying that if you don't have the facts, argue the law, and if you don't have the law, argue the facts, and if you don't have either, just argue real loud. At this point, taking both offense and defense as having equal difficulty, please, without giving a witty, unresponsive reply, tell me do we not have the players and hope for the coaching, or do we not have the coaching and hope for the players, or do we not really have either and just keep yelling real loud so nobody notices we have neither?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Next time just ask the question. The problems on defense have been written about over and over and over again. I really don't know how to package what I've already written any differently. You've got issues on the line, which affects the backers and secondary. You have new guys at MLB and both safety spots who are struggling Their struggles have been exaggerated by the inconsistent line play. I think 11 and 2 will be fine. I have doubts about the middle, though I'd like to see Hodge healthy. They are addressing the safety issues, though I suspect Carter may be a more natural corner/WR type.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Mike of Chicago - With the return of Crooks,the other TE have less reps.It appeared to be Saturday that Graham was in the short yader package-Turner was out.Can't figure this one out because it would appear to me that Turner is a better blocker then Graham & he'd be the one you want in the double TE blocking package.

A: Jeff Potrykus - Crooks didn't play nearly as much as some think. Graham has some substance to him and can block. Plus, he is a better receiver than Mickey. I've seen people complain that certain personnel groupings tip off the opponent as to whether the play will be a run or a pass. Graham gives you the option of both.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Buzz of Tampa - From one very bitter fan, here are my predictions....We stink in the 1st half against NIU, but win. We win ugly against IU. We play the best game of the year against OSU, but lose in the final minutes. The hangover from that game makes us lose against UM in a game we should have won. We barely keep the axe in Minny. We play an SEC team in our bowl game and get crushed. Accurate?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Depending on what happens with OSU in the BCS, the may not face an SEC team in the bowl.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Buzz of Tampa - It seems in both basketball and football when we are ranked so high early in the year that we can never live up to the expectations. Is it being overrated, or too much stress? It is really hard to be a Wisconsin fan. In years we are not supposed to make it to March Madness we go to the elite 8. Last year in football we go 12-1. Again, this from a very bitter Wisconsin fan.

A: Jeff Potrykus - This has nothing to do with not handling the stress.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Merritt of Danbury, CT - Jeff, serious question: does 6-6 get you in a bowl game? Iâ€(tm)m already looking ahead to next year and they need the extra bowl practice for this young team. If you think 6-6 is out of the question, Indiana is the pivotal game. Theyâ€(tm)ll probably squeeze out an unimpressive win over NIU, lose to OSU and UM. Theyâ€(tm)ll lose a track meet to the Goophs who have plenty of motivation to regain the Axe and an offense that is The Redâ€(tm)s nightmare this year. Can they eke out a win versus Kellen Lewis…I hope so.

A: Jeff Potrykus - Yep. You are eligible but someone still must want you.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: peter of Princeton, New Jersey - Given the recent play of the defense, do you think UW can even beat Indiana or Minnesota?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Yes and Yes.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Dan of Stoughton - Jeff do you think there will be any chances to the defense side of the ball.Maybe changing a linebacker our a safety?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Wrote about one today. Royston at SS. I'll be curious to see if Valai gets time this week at FS.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Bill of Racine - Jeff-The JS Sports Poll question of the day for Oct. 14 asked "Which change in UW's starting lineup would you like to see most next week? Aaron Henry for Allen Langford at cornerback Jay Valai for Shane Carter at free safety Culmer St. Jean for Elijah Hodge at middle linebacker Allan Evridge for Tyler Donovan at quarterback Kim Royston for Aubrey Pleasant at strong safety" Why wasn't there a choice for "All of the above"?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Again, I don't have anything to do with those ridiculous polls.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Mike of Strongsville - Well, no need to pile on after seeing how the badger, both player and coaches, have performed this season. One curiosity I did have is I didn't think there was a halo rule in College. On the punt where the Penn St returner was disloged from the ball, it looked to me as if the ball hit the return man before our guy hit him. There was also no replay from the officials. Is there a halo rule in college and is that a reviewable play?

A: Jeff Potrykus - There isn't a halo rule per se but you need to allow him to catch the ball. The refs ruled the hit came at the same time, according to the head coach. That is not a reviewable play.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Kevin Scott of Tampa - Obvious statement of the year: Our linebackers aren't very physical. I remember after losing to Georgia a few years back there were people saying that we needed more speed at LB. In your opinion, do you think we've recruited LB's that have speed but in return, aren't very phisical? Also, Do you think that Wisconsin next spring might try moving a guy like cassillas(sp?) to safety and try converting someone else to LB that's more phisical and nasty.

A: Jeff Potrykus - Two of the three guys played last year. Question: Did you doubt their ability to run and hit in 2006? I didn't.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Dave of Clermont, FL - Assuming Bucky goes 8-4 overall, with Ohio State & UofM in BCS, what is our most likely Bowl bid?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Well, if you have TWO teams in the BCS they'd be in Florida in a normal year. But with UW having been to Tampa, Orlando and Orlando in the last three years bowl officials might want a fresh face. In that case, San Antonio.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: badpack of janesville - Hello Jeff What is the most important thing that coach should do to turn this team around. Thanks for the good work

A: Jeff Potrykus - Resist the urge to do what many fans are doing, losing their composure and calling for some of the most ridiculous position changes in the history of football. Then you take another long look at your personnel and see which areas need the most help. I can see Henry getting more PT this week; Royston at SS since he is No. 1 on the depth; Valai at free if the game is in hand. People want to see more of McFadden but he isn't a MLB. And I don't think they're giving up on Casillas. Just don't have many options on the DL, though I'd put Chappy at DE and move Newkirk inside.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Bill Pfeiffer of Columbus, Ohio - Just how bad is our defense this year? We made Anthony Morelli, one of the most erratic and maligned QBs in the Big Ten if not the nation, look like Joe Montana. Let's not forget he was booed off the Beaver Stadium field at halftime in their game against Iowa. I refuse to believe its because of what we lost in the middle of our defense, as TV analysts have said over and over again this season. Zalewski was a nice player, but he was certainly no Pete Monty or Chris Ghidorzi. And while Stellmacher and Rodgers were assignment sure, I wouldn't label them irreplaceable. In my mind the problem begins and ends with the coaching. Jeff, if the problems persist, which you'd have to be crazy to think they won't, do you see Mike Hankwitz losing his job at the end of the season?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Bill, if memory serves you're normally pretty lucid. But Zalewki could play every damn down. Pete Monty could not. If he were playing for UW today they ask him to play on the line. Ghido is another story but he played in a different scheme. Why would Hankwitz lose his job? People are starting to pile on him so I'll ask this question: Do you think the defensive game plan of Hank and Doeren is created without approval from a higher power?
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Andy Shovers of Atlanta, Georgia - Jeff: It was very disturbing to read that a couple of players said that the team gave up in the second half. That, along with BB's curious decision not to go for it at the end of the half, seemed to indicate that he has lost confidence in his team. What do you think? With three of the next four games at home, and Minnesota being so awful, I know that I have not given up. Thanks. Andy

A: Jeff Potrykus - I chalk up such comments by the players -- Vanden Heuvel used the word "demoralized" in one response -- to frustration. I can think of a number of players off the top of my head who didn't reduce their effort in the second half. You get your butt kicked and then you have to share with the world, it isn't easy. As for the coaching decision, I didn't agree with it then and I still don't.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Kevin H of Madison - With the lack of depth at wide receiver, I was wondering what has happened to Lance Kendricks. I remember reading over the summer that he had been switched to tight end, but with the way things are going I thought he might be switched back. As you recall, he was our #1 recruit last year.

A: Jeff Potrykus - He was moved to TE last YEAR. He will contribute at that position in the future. The last thing they need is to make a kneejerk reaction, move that kid for X number of games and then move him back to TE again.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Mac of Oshkosh - I know Brett likes to pass but Saturday there were a lot of first down passes with Swan and Hubbard out. Only 19 carries for PJ. Doesn't seem like they put TD in position to succeed. Do they expect too much from a first year guy? Senior or not he doesn't have game experience to put it up 102 times in 3 games.

A: Jeff Potrykus - They were down 24-7 at halftime and by 31-7 the first time they touched the ball in the second half. That sort of dictates passing more often.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Badger-Ron of Houston - Jeff, from your observations who has shown to be the true leaders of this team?

A: Jeff Potrykus - You've got a lot of quiet guys, led by example types. I was really impressed by the way Levy handled the Illinois debacle. He came back from that, worked his butt off and played better.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Clint of San Clemente, CA - The defense is a disaster, in part because of a lack of depth in the line. No pass rush, in particular, and Newkirk playing out of position. What would you think of moving him back inside, and playing one or more of the following linebackers at DE? Culmer St. Jean, or Jaevery McFadden, both sophomores with some speed, and/or a couple seniors who aren't playing much anyway, Casey Hogan and Brandon Kelly. Obviously, the two safeties and one corner are getting killed - maybe a little better pass rush would require them to cover for a much shorter time.

A: Jeff Potrykus - I'd personally move 54 inside and put 91 at end. Hogan doesn't have enough speed due to the injuries Oor substance); Kelly is a DE. Culmer is just learning the LB position. Moving guys in the middle of the season from one positon to another isn't going to solve any problems.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Mark of Minneapolis - I am torn about whether Bielema should give Evridge a chance. Donovan has played okay (and is not the reason for the losses), but this team has not (and will not) meet the expectations that they, I and you all had for them. Do you give Evridge a chance and get him some experience for next year?

A: Jeff Potrykus - If your sole purpose is to prepare for next year with five games left this season, not a chance.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Corey of Oregon - Hi Jeff, well that was one of the uglier games I've ever seen and I was there in person to witness it! This team is just terrifyingly bad on D and seem to be getting worse as we go along here. Again, this season is feeling just like 2000 (high expectations coming in, with no results). Did you get a sense that the team seemed to "mail it in" in the 2nd half? I know Coach B had made mention of it, wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks

A: Jeff Potrykus - The team? No. A few guys hung their heads because they were getting their butts kicked all over the field. But not the team.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Doug Greenberg of san antonio - Jeff-Can the Badgers win the next two while improving/getting healthy, and then, give OSU any kind of a game?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Yes and doubtful.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: James Skidmore of Chicago - Jeff, This presents an interesting situation for Bielema; rally the troops and get them in position to salvagage the season. Unchartered waters if you will for him. Do you think he can do it, or is the injury situation too much to overcome?

A: Jeff Potrykus - I think they'll win the next two and close with a W vs. Minny. OSU? Nope. Michigan? Only if they get their act together these next two weeks and are in full health when Lloyd and the boys come to town.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: LA Dan of Back in LA - Jeff, long time no speak. Basically, because times were good. You were your normal skeptical self and the Badgers kept winning. Sadly, you got on your high horse and predicted great things this year and the bottom has more or less dropped out. What is the most surprising cause of this fall from grace? Also, is it me or is this team just getting physically out muscled, especially on D?

A: Jeff Potrykus - If you've watched one game this season you know the answer to the second question. As for the first, that we're in Week 7+ and the same mistakes (mostly) are being made.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Jeff of LA - By all accounts Jay Valai hits like a train, which is something that's been sorely lacking from this d. Any chance he's back from his concussion and stong enough to take a whack at safety? Might as well let some of these kids play.

A: Jeff Potrykus - He is the No. 2 FS, as I wrote this morning on the blog.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Jim V of Powell OH - Re: the crazy state of college football â€" I know scholarship limits rightly get most of the credit/blame for leveling the playing field, but I think 2 other factors play a big role too â€" only 15 practices allowed prior to the season & the propensity for recruits to sign in their junior years thus late bloomers end up going to schools previously viewed as 2nd tier â€" what says Jeff?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Well, the number of practices are the same for everyone. So in a word, no. Recruits can't sign until they are seniors. They can give a NON-BINDING commitment befoe then but it is pretty much meaningless. The scholarship limits allow those "second-tier" schools to get players who'd rather play now than sit the bench at Big Time U.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Chris of Delafield - Jeff, pathetic peformance, isn't time to make the switch to AE? It's obvious Donovan is not ready to be a big time college starter. He manages a game poorly and makes too many mistakes. Give me Allen Everidge!

A: Jeff Potrykus - First, it's ALLAN. And for the second time in a week the HC noted publicly, out of the blue, that TD's job is not in any danger.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Kevin of Janesville - Jeff, With the Defense giving up big play after big play, why have the Badgers not tried to blitz more. Maybe if the put pressure on this could lead to turnovers.

A: Jeff Potrykus - They tried bringing pressure Saturday but generally didn't get there. But you've got to remember. If your last line of defense (safeties) is struggling the desire to blitz is greatly diminished.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Ed Blau of Marshfield - Jeff, I guess that we should have had a clue when the defensive unit could not find a captain among the starters. Did Coopers dismissal also cast a pall of bad karma over the unit? Thanks.

A: Jeff Potrykus - Bad karma. No. What it did was take away a good edge rusher and force a good tackle to move to end.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: John of Downers Grove - Jeff, Obviously, it has been a disappointing season thus far. Even in the five victories, the team has looked less than impressive and likely should have lost two additional games. In my opinion, there has not been any phase of the game that has CONSISTENTLY been good. At this point in the season, what would you classify as the strength of this year's team?

A: Jeff Potrykus - TE, TB, OL, several freshmen.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Steven of Grafton - I asked it last week and you disagreed....are the badgers going to mail it in? That may not mean they lose all their games, but do they have any chance against scUM or OSU?

A: Jeff Potrykus - No, they aren't going to mail it in. And I promise if you ask the question next Monday my answer will be the same.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Steve of Washington - Where is Dan McCarney when we need him? I hope Hankwitz is renting so he can leave Madison faster. Seriously, did the UW coaches make a mistake in recruiting "athletes" on defense rather than football players? The best UW defenses had guys like Adamov, Leonhard, Zalewski, Stellmacher, who were not big or fast but were in position, tackled and played with composure. These new guys - the 2 safeties and Hodge may be faster, bigger, more heavily recruited, but they have zero football IQ and it shows on the field. Thoughts?

A: Jeff Potrykus - I'm sorry but I'm shaking my head. Yes there are issues on this defense. But those best defenses had one other important trait they shared. That is, a DLine that controlled the line of scrimmage. That's where it starts. That's where it always starts. Do you need a ball-hawking FS and a sturdy/smart/gutsy SS? Of course. But the games are still won at the LOS.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Geno of Spooner - Jeff: I am of a group that feels the Badgers are better off playing a "tune-up" game opposed to a bye week. Do you believe we will see a lot of new faces filtering in/out of the line-up especially on the defense side, and will we see new faces trying to complement Jefferson at wide-out? If so, what new faces may we see? Finally, is Hubbard due back for the Indiana or OSU game?

A: Jeff Potrykus - A lot? No. You'll see some, which I've written about on the blog. You may see more -- if the game is in hand in the second half. But their starters need the tuneup, not the new faces.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Ken Karstedt II of West Bend - Hey Jeff, enjoy your work! How can the Badgers turn their season around when they are having a difficult time stopping anyone and their offense is lacking? And why not play some of the younger guys to get them the experience they'll need for next year?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Because you play for THIS year, particularly when you're 5-2.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Erik of Waukesha - Were you as unimpressed with Everidge as I am? Seems the coaches know what they are doing. Thus far, he fumbled, had 3 false starts- and then on Sat- threw two easy passes into the turf, almost got another picked, and couldn't move the ball against the second string defense. What about the other options for QB next year?

A: Jeff Potrykus - I honestly don't know how to answer that one.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Chris of Middleton - Hi Jeff, Do you think the situation with Jamal Copper is contributing to this years defensive problems? I don't mean the fact that he is not on the team, but the circumstances behind his dissmisal. Is it possible that there are some guys, maybe real close to Coop, that are letting their feelings with what went on getting in the way of the way they play the game? I've heard lack of effort being brought up a couple of times. Wondering if the two correlate. Thanks for chats.

A: Jeff Potrykus - I don't believe Oswald shot JFK. I also don't believe players are dogging it because their angry Cooper was dismissed.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: JB of Los Angeles - Jeff, another friend of Bres' comes out of the woodwork after the debacle on Saturday. What happened to any and all of the soph and junior receivers? Anderson, Harris, Kendricks (tight end?), etc? Did we not recruit any for a few years? Thanks.

A: Jeff Potrykus - Anderson is redshirting. Kendricks is a TE. The frosh have passed them by. You could argue that Harris deserves a bit more PT than 85 but no way anyone plays instead of Jefferson.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Cam of Shorewood, Wisconsin - Not really surprised with the Badgers season. I had high hopes, but after the UNLV game I knew this team had defecenices. My question is this. Do you feel this team will take a nose dive knowing that the best the can hope for is playing in the Capital One Bowl yet again?

A: Jeff Potrykus - No nose dives; no relying on the US Post Office (mailing it in). They'll play hard. Whether they play well, that is another topic.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: David W of Waukesha - I don't mean to suggest by asking this that I think Tyler Donovan is to blame for the play of the offense ... or even that he has played poorly. However, is there a point at which it would make sense for there to be a change at QB, if for no other reason, than to give your likely starter next year an opprotunity to get meaningful reps, and establish game chemistry with the young recievers who will be targets for him? All I have heard is that the two are VERY close talent wise ... so you wouldn't expect much, if any drop off in quality of play ... and with the Big Ten title and elite bowl bid chances virtually gone, would it make sense to start thinking about next year a little?

A: Jeff Potrykus - You think about next year when you look at certain young guys in bowl practice and then in the spring. Only exception, in my book is if you're not bowl-eligible and you get a look at guys in-season.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Paul of Tosa - Early on you saw the Badgers taking all or nearly all Big 10 games. Your judgments have been astute, and I'm wondering what you saw then that hasn't panned out. Great coverage.

A: Jeff Potrykus - I thought the drop-off on defense would be minimal, not Grand Canyon-esque. I also thought the offense would be more efficient.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Tim of LaCrosse - Coach bielema talked about his players giving up .Didn't he set a bad example when he chose to punt instead of going for a field goal that was within TM's range at the end of the second period?

A: Jeff Potrykus - First, you're assuming it was in Mehlhaff's range. Each game he tells Bielema his max distance going both ways. But, as I noted in the Sunday paper, I didn't agree with the decision at the time.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Dozer of Waukesha - By now everyone has come to the conclusion we over estimated how good this young team would be this year. The question now is the talent there to grow into a great team or are we looking at an average bunch of guys?

A: Jeff Potrykus - It is too early too tell on certain guys. Carter has lots of physical talent. But is he a safety? He looked very good at CB as a frosh in camp. And I think he can be a hell of a WR. But do you have other options at safety? And how long do you give him -- or any first-year starter -- before you begin to contemplate a change?
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Adam Loewy of Austin, TX - With the defense struggling, the starting wide receivers out and the offense and special teams dropping balls, shouldn't we demand that Bret Bielema yank the starting quarterback?

A: Jeff Potrykus - You can demand all you want but your idol isn't going to make that switch.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Jerry of Green Bay - Jeff, With Luke & Hubbard out, Beckum doulbed teamed why don't we throw deep to Garrett Graham more. I have seem him wide open on so many plays I don't understand why the coaches don't point it out to TD. He has the hands and speed for big gains and seems to be a clutch reciever on 3rd & 4th down plays.

A: Jeff Potrykus - Jerry, please don't make the assumption that such things haven't been discussed/noted.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Terry of Appleton - Jeff, the spread has been the bane of Bucky's existence for years. Many Big Ten teams run a version of the spread, yet we appear incapable of stopping it. I'm not talking only about this year's defense, but most of BA - BB era. In your opinion, is the primary problem scheme, talent or refusal to face facts - the spread is spreading?

A: Jeff Potrykus - Terry, if you look at how UW did vs. Brees (2-1) against NU in 2004; against Hawaii and Colt Brennan in '05; Vegas this season, etc., they've also had days in which they've done very well. I'd bet you UW's 2006 defense, which controlled Indiana's spread, by the way, would have fared well against NU, too.
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: BadgerFan of SaintPaul,MN - Hi Jeff, What a miserable performance from the start! That defense is worst I have seen in years. It apears defensive line is NOT putting any effort to stop anybody. They look like they are even tring at times. I believe getting rid of Cooper was the worst decision Bielema made. I don't know what Cooper must have said to the coaches that they got rid of him. That tells me Bielema has low threshold for tolerance, which sucks. Also, Bielema should fire himself because of uglu special team play. Any opinion about Cooper and Bielema's special teams play?

A: Jeff Potrykus - BF: Did you now watch any of the 2005 season? Bielema dismissed Cooper because he felt it was the right thing to do -- regardless of the effect it would have on the peformance of the team. How can you argue with that?
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Andrew of Muskego - Jeff, Do you still think Hankwitz will be back next year? If he is, Barry might want to have a little talk with Bielema.

A: Jeff Potrykus - I've asked this of others and I'll ask you to think about it. Do you think the defensive game plan is created in a back alley on a Thursday night and implemented without the knowledge of the head coach?
[/FONT]<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Q: Mike of Minnetonka, MN - I always appreciate how you give your unvarnished opinions. So here is my question: As a consistent and diligent observer of Badger football, what has surprised you the most about this years team (either pro or con or both).

A: Jeff Potrykus - Last question for our Minnetonka contingent. Looking forward to hitting the Loon Cafe in November, by the way. Cons: The fall of the defense, particularly the alignemnt/assignment issues. Big off-season coming as I see only minimal improvement the rest of this season. Pros: G. Graham, Gabe Carimi and Kyle Jefferson. That's it for this week. Until next week when I'm sure I'll have to explain to one reader, for a third consecutive week, that P.J. Hill is a good college back despite his protestations that Hill isn't a "Heisman-caliber" back. (yes, that was a gratuitous cheap shot) Off to work.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] <!-- END JSO_INDEX_CONTENT --> [/FONT]</td> <td colspan="2" width="1">
spec.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Collegefootballnews.com is really confident of a UW victory, predicting a final score of Wisconsin 45, Northern Illinois 13. "Wisconsin will play its sharpest game of the year. Completely mediocre so far, the running game will crank out 250 yards, the defense will come up with a few turnovers, and it'll be the breather the team desperately needs."
Rivals.com's Olin Buchanan also calls for a Wisconsin victory, albeit a little closer. Buchanan sees it Wisconsin 31, Northern Illinois 13.
Not everyone is overly confident, some of those being UW fans, which are a little scarred after back-to-back losses. The blog Wisconsin Badger Sports Fan (which uses the early picture we used on JSOnline for the Penn State game) says UW better be wary of Northern Illinois' rushing attack, and in particular Justin Anderson.

For Northern Illinois, evaluation is critical

By Jeff Potrykus

Friday, Oct 19 2007, 08:51 AM

DeKalb, Ill. - Offensive tackle Ryan Diem helped the Indianapolis Colts win a Super Bowl title last season.
Tailback Michael Turner backs up LaDanian Tomlinson for the San Diego Chargers.
Wide receiver Justin McCareins plays for the New York Jets.
Wide receiver Sam Hurd plays for the Dallas Cowboys.
Tailback Garrett Wolfe is a rookie with the Chicago Bears.
Offensive tackle Doug Free is a rookie with the Cowboys.
What do these six players have in common?
They were all lightly recruited coming out of high school and all developed into National Football League-caliber players under head coach Joe Novak at Northern Illinois.
That is a source of pride for Novak and Mike Sabock, the team's defensive ends coach and recruiting coordinator
"Almost every one of our guys in the NFL," said Sabock, in his 24<sup>th</sup> season at Northern Illinois, "we didn't beat anyone in recruiting for them."
Novak, in his 12th season as the head coach at Northern Illinois, learned long ago his staff must make fewer errors than the big programs when evaluating players.
"My wife can throw on a tape of a kid that Wisconsin is going to recruit and tell me he is a player," said Novak, whose team plays UW Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium. "Evaluating at that level is not hard.
"What we've got to do is take the next cut of kids so we've got to do a better job of evaluating. We've got to do a better job of projecting where they are going to be."
Free is the latest example.
He was a tight end/defensive end at Manitowoc High School. As a senior he was 6-foot-6 and 245 pounds.
Free didn't get a scholarship offer from Wisconsin but Novak saw a future tackle.
"When we recruited him I remember sitting in Manitowoc High School, in a hallway, telling him that we were going to try and make an offensive tackle out of him," Novak said. "And at the time Doug was 6-6 and 245 and a high school tight end. He looked at me and said: ‘Coach, I'll never get that big.'"
Novak told him to be patient.
Free left Northern Illinois a 320-pound senior and was a fourth-round draft pick of the Cowboys.
"And he hasn't lost the athleticism," Novak said. "I think that's what people really like about him is that for a big kid he's got great feet. He moves very well.
"Some of your best offensive linemen, that is what happens. They are athletic kids who just grow to be big as opposed to just being big people."
UW athletic director Barry Alvarez, who went 2-0 against Northern Illinois as head coach, admires Novak's work.
"I think he does an excellent job of evaluating (talent)," Alvarez said. "He's not going to get his first pick in Illinois. So he has got to go out and evaluate kids who maybe are an inch short or guys he feels are late bloomers or guys he just knows are going to fit into his program.
"He does that in Illinois and then he'll come into our state and do the same thing."

Cooks anticipated strugges, still has hope

By Jeff Potrykus

Friday, Oct 19 2007, 10:14 AM

Madison - Wisconsin secondary coach Kerry Cooks sounded the alarm, albeit quietly, long before the 2007 opener.
Cooks acknowledged UW's safeties - sophomores Shane Carter and Aubrey Pleasant -- would be more athletic than their predecessors but cautioned that their lack of experience would lead to growing pains.
"I didn't lie to you," he said after a recent practice.
Carter is expected to start his eighth consecutive game at free safety when UW (5-2) faces visiting Northern Illinois (1-6) Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium. Pleasant has been dropped down to the No. 2 strong safety behind Kim Royston, though coach Bret Bielema noted Thursday Pleasant performed well in practice during the week.
"I really like the way he responded and the way he practiced," Bielema said.
Cooks, in his second season at UW, acknowledged he wasn't quite sure how quickly Carter and Pleasant would develop in their first season as starters.
"I really didn't know what to expect," he said. "I've broken in young safeties and young corners before. Sometimes they roll right in, pick up the system and understand everything.
"And sometimes it takes them half a season, or a year, of playing to get it. Obviously, I would have liked those guys to come along faster than where they are right now."
The No. 1 issue for Carter and Pleasant remains a delayed reaction time.
"They see something," Cooks said, "and they want to believe it. But they're not quite there."
That was never an issue in 2006 with free safety Roderick Rogers and strong safety Joe Stellmacher. As seniors, they were in their second season as starters.
"Those guys had played together for a long time and they had seen everything," Cook said. "They just reacted and played ball."
Cooks insisted both Carter and Pleasant remain confident in their physical ability and in their ability to play their respective positions.
He adds that it is not unrealistic to see significant improvement over the final five regular-season games.
"No question," he said. "Right now we've got a five-game season left. We're 5-2. If that's not enough to play for...a lot of it is going to fall on the defense as far as playing well.
"I really think that we can get a lot better from this point until the end of the season. I mean, five games. To think that you're not going to get better from where you are right now. That's insane."
Make your mark: Fans should see a new face on the punt-return unit this week -- walk-on William Hartmann, a third-year sophomore from Sheboygan.
Bielema likened the 5-foot-11, 190-pound defensive back to senior cornerback Ben Strickland, a former walk-on from Brookfield Central.
"No one has ever heard of him," Bielema said. "No one has ever seen him. He is going to take a snap on punt return...
"He is flying sky high."
Extra-points: According to Bielema, backup tailbacks Lance Smith and Zach Brown both practiced well during the week. Smith did not play in the losses at Illinois and Penn State because he has been suspended for UW's regular-season road games for his alleged actions during a summer altercation with his girlfriend. "He is dying to get out there," Bielema said.
Both Elijah Hodge and Culmer St. Jean should play at middle linebacker.

I'll take a nice 4-0 Friday night... Gets some confidence going into Saturday. I'll have some early plays here and a few more thoughts before I go to sleep for the night.

$160 Purdue 1H -3.5 -115
$100 Cincinnati 1H -6 -110
$50 Northern Illinois +24 -120
$50 Army +24 -110
$200 Oklahoma 1H -17 -115
$150 Oklahoma -30
$100 Tenny/Alabama under 55.5
$80 Wake Forest -3 -115

If I don't get the 2/3pm games in no big loss... Need to get my ass up in time for the 330 games.

Big card today. Hope you nail em ! Theres a 3:30 game I agree with you on and the college name is spelled out..hehe..looks like a trap to me. Good luck man. :cheers:

2:00pm
$60 Western Michigan +1 -115
$100 Nebraska -1
$100 Arkansas -6
$50 Arkansas 1H -3

3:00pm
$75 Memphis pk
$150 Nevada -6.5

3:30pm
$200 West Virginia -24
$150 West Virginia 1H -13.5
$200 Missouri -3
$80 Missiouri 1H ML -125
$400 California -2.5 (Fondy Fave)

... halftime run... be back with regularly scheduled programming shortly.

Back