$50 Parlaying the two wagers for a payout of $155
- Miami has more talent and depth
- Prefer Miami QB rotation
- Lot of defensive players sitting in this one
- See articles

Green focuses on Dolphins as he prepares for return to KC
August 15, 2007

Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- As much as Trent Green enjoyed his six years with the Kansas City Chiefs, he doesn't have time for nostalgia.

So when he travels to Arrowhead Stadium for the Miami Dolphins' exhibition game against his former team Thursday night, Green's focus will be on the present rather than the past.

To Green, the game means an opportunity for the Miami offense to rebound after a dreadful showing in Saturday night's preseason opener against Jacksonville.

"We're just looking to make improvement on the first game and continue to make strides to get ready for the opener," Green said Tuesday. "Obviously it adds a little more drama going back to K.C."

Dolphins coach Cam Cameron said he planned to use the same rotation as in the exhibition opener. Green started against Jacksonville and played the entire first half before being followed by Cleo Lemon and rookie John Beck.
Green resisted dwelling on what kind of reception he might get from Chiefs fans.

"I really don't want to get too caught up in thinking what that's going to be," he said. "I'm just going to let it happen, and we'll see. I had a great six years there and enjoyed it. My family enjoyed it. It was a great experience for us as a family, and I'm just happy to be down here."

Green was traded by the Chiefs to the Dolphins in June for a conditional fifth-round pick that will become a fourth-round choice if Green takes 70 percent of the snaps on offense. The trade was consummated more than three months after Green refused to take a pay cut with the Chiefs and was given permission to talk to other teams.
Green, who started every game for the Chiefs in 2001-05 before missing eight games because of a concussion last season, said he harbored no hard feelings toward the Chiefs.

"No, I don't feel disrespected, having been in the league long enough and understanding how it works," Green said. "They decided to go in a different direction. They wanted to get younger. Like I said at the time, I didn't agree with the decision, but I understood the decision. I just wanted an opportunity to go somewhere and play and felt that I still had some good years left playing, and I wanted that chance."

In his debut in a Miami uniform, Green was under constant pressure and completed only six of 15 passes for 60 yards with one interception.
Most of the first-team offense also played the entire first half, managing only 64 yards and four first downs.

"We're hoping to make improvement from week to week and get ready for the opener," Green said. "Understand that this is the preseason and we are growing. We are a group of new guys on offense and a lot of young guys, so it's going to be a growing process."

Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard who are competing for the Chiefs’ starting quarterback job will each play a quarter with Huard getting the start this week. The Chiefs will still be without running back Larry Johnson who is holding out in a contract dispute. Michael Bennett and rookie Kolby Smith have been getting the bulk of the carries. This game will be an important one for the Chiefs and for Huard and Croyle. "At the end of the day, we will make a decision, and if it's this week, it's this week. If it's not, it's not," Edwards said. "It's going to be one of those situations where whoever you decide to go with, you've giving them the opportunity to be the starter and you're giving them enough reps to prove that he can be a starter."

"The third game is the one when all the veteran guys are going to have to play the first half and then possibly the third quarter," he said. "I'm not going to put pressure on either one of the quarterbacks or myself - or the team - to say, 'This is the guy.' I want to make the right decision. I am very patient."

Four Dolphin defensive players will not play on Thursday. Defensive end Jason Taylor, linebacker Zach Thomas, tackle Keith Traylor and linebacker Joey Porter will all miss the game.

Don't count out Dolphins' Lemon
By Connor Byrne on August 15, 2007 12:11 AM
<!-- adsense --> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" height="6" width="8"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-6767491118272254"; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = "300x250_as"; google_ad_type = "text"; //2006-12-05: NFL - Miami Dolphins google_ad_channel = "2938789320"; google_color_border = "EFEFEF"; google_color_bg = "EFEFEF"; google_color_link = "044E8E"; google_color_url = "008000"; google_color_text = "000000"; //--></script>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- /adsense --> <!--startscanning-->When quarterback Cleo Lemon signed with the <acronym title="Baltimore Ravens News">Baltimore Ravens</acronym> as an undrafted free agent from little-known Arkansas State in 2002, most probably figured he wouldn't last long in the NFL. To the 27-year-old's credit, though, he has battled the odds and survived being jettisoned by two different organizations (the Ravens and <acronym title="San Diego Chargers News">San Diego Chargers</acronym> ) over the last five years.

Now, after holding clipboards and watching others at his position experience both success and failure, some believe Lemon deserves the opportunity to win the Dolphins' starting QB job.

Surprisingly enough, it took just one poor exhibition start (6 of 15 for 50 yards and an interception) for much of Miami's fan base to grow impatient with 13-year veteran signal-caller Trent Green, whom the team acquired during the offseason from Kansas City after a lengthy battle over compensation. In the end, the Dolphins gave the Chiefs a conditional fifth-round pick in next year's draft for the 37-year-old's services.

Despite what the Dolphins gave up for Green, who will play most of the first half tomorrow against the Chiefs, make no mistake -- the No. 1 QB job isn't simply going to be handed out, which is a credit to rookie head coach Cam Cameron. The 46-year-old was the offensive coordinator in San Diego between 2002-06 and tutored Lemon, who backed up accomplished passers Drew Brees and Philip Rivers during his 2½-year stint with the Chargers. The two worked together until October 2005, when the Dolphins acquired Lemon from the Bolts for A.J. Feeley and a sixth-round pick.

After being picked up by Miami, Lemon, who in the offseason signed a one-year, $1.3 million deal to remain a Dolphin, sat behind a quartet of QBs -- Gus Frerotte and Sage Rosenfels in '05, and Daunte Culpepper and Joey Harrington in '06 -- but managed to appear in four games late last year and was mildly impressive. Ultimately, he completed 38 of 58 passes for 412 yards, two touchdowns and a 77.1 rating.

As of now, it's fair to say Lemon's pro career thus far hasn't exactly been a distinguished one; even to most hardcore fans of the league, he's been anonymous. Nevertheless, if Green struggles again tomorrow and Lemon thoroughly impresses in Arrowhead Stadium, he could truly make the QB battle one worth watching in Miami for the rest of the summer.

Green may be a two-time Pro Bowler, but he's also aging, immobile, and coming off a major concussion and consecutive seasons of shaky performances in Kansas City. Lemon, on the other hand, remains mostly an unknown, and that's intriguing for Miami, which hasn't had any true stability under center since Dan Marino's heyday.

For those who say the preseason doesn't matter, don't tell that to Cleo Lemon. Thursday could very well be his big chance to turn some heads on the Dolphins' coaching staff and make them think twice about Green being the best candidate to begin the regular season as the starting quarterback.

Green needs another big game in Kansas City
By Adam Best on August 16, 2007 12:47 AM
<!-- adsense --> <table style="width: 1px; height: 6px;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-6767491118272254"; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = "300x250_as"; google_ad_type = "text"; //2006-12-05: NFL - Miami Dolphins google_ad_channel = "2938789320"; google_color_border = "EFEFEF"; google_color_bg = "EFEFEF"; google_color_link = "044E8E"; google_color_url = "008000"; google_color_text = "000000"; //--></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- /adsense --> <!--startscanning--><acronym title="Miami Dolphins News">Miami Dolphins</acronym> quarterback Trent Green won't make a big deal about returning to play the <acronym title="Kansas City Chiefs News">Kansas City Chiefs</acronym> at Arrowhead Stadium -- the team he played for, and the stadium he played at for the past six seasons -- tonight. That's simply not his style. He'll downplay the exhibition as just another preseason game.

Don't listen to Green -- this is one of the biggest games of his career. First off, Dolphins backup QB Cleo Lemon is breathing down Green's neck. Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron stated that there indeed was an open QB competition in Miami, and though many didn't believe him at first it seems he was telling the truth. Green played very poorly during the preseason opener, and he was thoroughly booed by the fans and trashed by the media as a result. It was even widely debated whether he should even start this Thursday, even though he will.

That being said, Green knows that a strong performance by him could close the door on Lemon, while a poor showing could leave the door wide open for a heated QB battle. That's the last thing Green wants, especially after spending all of the spring and much of the summer demanding that the Chiefs trade him to a team he would start for.

Then there's the whole Chiefs aspect. Regardless of what he says or how he acts, there is definitely some animosity between Green and the Chiefs' brass. Both sides feel that the other party acted unreasonably this summer during trade negotiations, something that surely nobody involved has already forgotten. It's also a certainty that the 37-year-old Green wants to prove to everyone in Kansas City, as well as Miami, that he still has something left in the tank.

Furthermore, this is a great opportunity for Green to start a string of strong play. He knows Arrowhead Stadium better than any other place in the league, and he should be well-received by the fans and be comfortable on the field. He knows the Chiefs' defensive coaching staff and most of the defenders, too, along with their tendencies. This is as good of a chance as any he'll have during the preseason to get back on track and silence critics in one fell swoop.

Playing well is also something Green has to do if he intends on distancing himself from Lemon in the Dolphins' quarterback race. Otherwise, the franchise could be back in familiar territory with gobs of uncertainty surrounding its QB position.

GL Fondy.. Gave up capping preseason two years ago but watch carefully.. Like your card.. I'll be in here wk1:cheers:

Croyle looked better than I thought on that first drive when Carl Peterson was up in the booth...

then he drops back and throws a vintage jake plummer pick in the endzone.

He sort of reminded me of JP Losman, and that is NOT a good thing.

Thanks fore the feedback guys. I missed the game tonight. I don't know wtf is up, but I slept from about midnight to 630am on Wednesday night into Thursday. Around 4pm I decide to take an hour or two nap so I was well rested to go out and get smashed tonight. Well it's 1am and I've been awake for about 10 minutes. So...

Anyone who watched the game, please give me some feedback on how guys looked. Thanks

I saw one play. First quarter after an 8:00 minute drive Miami had 4th and goal at the 3.5 yard line and went for it and ran a stinker of a run play that went nowhere.

Cam Cameron looked phenomenal...goes for 2 two weeks in a row.

I'd also have to say that I was impressed with how the 3rd stringer for KC (Printers) played.

Dolphins D is showing they might have some depth.

After watching the majority of both KC games this preseason, I would say the QB position for them will be trouble. Maybe that will improve when LJ returns but I think they will struggle to put points up as the regular season goes on. LJ can't lead the league in carries forever.
GL everyone

Back