Florida vs Missouri Betting Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member

Florida football has lost its last two games to Missouri by a combined score of 83-33. What does Florida need to do to stop the trend?

On offense, Florida needs to do a better job of getting its playmakers the ball. We've seen a good bit of Freddie Swain. Coach Mullen has also been creative in the ways that he lines up Kyle Pitts. But Kadarius Toney is arguably still the most explosive option and yet he he's hardly received any touches. Toney is somebody who can turn a short gain into a touchdown -- we saw this in the season opener against Miami -- so he deserves to play a larger role in the offense.

Florida's rebuilding offensive line still struggles to help its run game -- Florida ranks 125th in opportunity rate, which is a metric that measures how helpful an offensive line is for its ball-carriers. So one can only expect so much in between the tackles.

But Mullen is a brilliant play-caller and he should be able to scheme up at least one big run play for Lamical Perine. Against Auburn, for example, he drew up a play where he had multiple wide receivers lined up on the opposite side of the field from Perine, who consequently had little to deal with in front of him for a big gain.

On defense, the Gators will have to contend with Kelly Bryant at quarterback. They can't control how his hamstring feels -- although the early start and cold weather could possibly make it a bit tighter.

They also can't control, in turn, how Jabari Zuniga and Jonathan Greenard feel. Both are plagued by pesky ankle injuries. If they could recover their physical skill set, they could make a massive difference on Saturday against a potentially dangerously mobile Bryant. Florida has one of the nation's best pass-rushing personnel while Missouri is vulnerable in pass protection. Because Florida's defense is not the same without an effective pass rush, the health of Zuniga and Greenard is crucial.

My Bet

Florida may look like an easy play considering that Mizzou lost its last three games by a combined score of 77-21. But consider that all three of those games came on the road where the Tigers are a different team. Phrased in betting terms, Missouri is 0-3 ATS on the road, but 4-1 ATS at home.

Above all, I expect Florida to really struggle to score. The Gators are dependent on their passing game. But Missouri has an elite passing defense. The Tigers rank top-10 nationally in both opposing pass yards per game and in opposing passer rating.

They boast playmakers at safety who are all over the field and they're deep at cornerback. Mizzou likes to play a lot of single-high safety, trusting its free safety to account for large areas of space and to otherwise provide help in coverage where needed while more defenders account for the run.

DeMarkus Acy doesn't usually need much help. A second-team All-SEC selection last year, Acy combines significant length at 6-2 with the speed of a sprinter. Jarvis Ware and Christian Holmes constantly vie for second-best corner status and both are reliably out there on the field at the same time.

On the other side, Mizzou brings a more balanced offense. Larry Rountree averaged 5.1 YPC against Florida last year. He can do the same against a Florida run defense that tends to allow opposing running backs to exceed their average YPC.

Kelly Bryant was a game-time decision last week, which indicates that he was already close to playing. He should play this week, although his mobility may not be what it usually is when he has to change directions. He's still an experienced veteran and an efficient quarterback who has a wealth of pass-catching options. In particular, Albert Okwuegbunam will be a tough match-up for Florida's pass defense.

If Bryant can't go, i'd expect former four-star prospect Connor Bazelak to start. He looked sharp against Georgia, although he played when the game was already decided. Bazelak is an accurate passer. But my worry is his youth. Even without a healthy Greenard and Zuniga, Todd Grantham is a genius at dialing up creative pressure packages. I wouldn't want to place much confidence in a freshman quarterback contending with Florida's pressure also because Missouri's pass protection can be weak.

So if Bryant can't play, i'll exclusively take the "under."

My Bet: Missouri +7

Last edited:
Again, i'm titling this as a scouting report. So the upper part of the article probably isn't interesting for anyone here as it's slanted for a completely pro-Florida audience

You caught me. I glanced and said I’m way too tired to read this. Game ain’t till Saturday. I got time haha. I’ll give that track a listen after work tonight.

You send me softer/chill stuff so I think I found a track that's your style. None of the hard or gangster stuff that's also pretty prominent.

Also, I appreciate any article clicks. It's all unpaid it just helps legitimize my betting articles so if you like my work feel free to support.

I do not trust a gimpy Bryant vs gators pass rush. Mizzou has prob the most drastic home/road in the country tho so you have that going. They will prob look like a lot different team than the garbage we have seen last 3 weeks. I don’t trust them tho. Gl

I did read it on the hailfloridahail site.

So....I think the Missouri position is ballsy. I thought the line seemed low at 7 and has gotten lower to 6.5. Which would make me nervous about taking Florida.

I will definitely defer to you on the Missouri D personnel. I can't help to think that their good numbers vs the pass are a direct result of the teams they have played not being good passing teams to begin with. Wyoming doesn't throw much and arn't good when they do. WVU O week 2 isn't as good a they are now (if they are good now). No idea what SE Miz does. They played South Carolina with a banged up Hilinski. At the time I did expect Troy to move the ball on them...I ML'd Troy. Then the following week Troy QB Barker struggled again, so I don't know. But I will give Mizzou credit for their D shutting down a good Troy O...still a group of 5 O vs SEC D - so some might not want to give them too much credit. Ole Miss is a run team. Vandy sucks. UK has a WR at QB and don't appear to want to try and throw anymore.

I can't look down the list of teams there and think that their D has benefitted from some very anemic passing offenses. All things considered, Troy was the best. That game was in rain if I remember, and again G5 scheme and talent vs SEC - kinda shoulda saw that coming. Bad on me.

Mizzou is good ATS at home, again though, look who they have played. Best team they played at home...Ole Miss, maybe? Mizzou scored twice on D vs SCar, once was a 100yarder I think.

I probably have to pick somebody in the pickem and I almost always just default to the dog when I don't know or care. But in terms of real money, I don't think I can.

Just in closing, Missouri feels like the right side because Florida is so easy (won 56-0, MU lost 0-27) and the line has dropped to under a TD now? It feels right in the contrarian way, but I have nothing to support it.

Good luck with it! I'm fine if Mizzou wants to win. You know me, the more upsets the better!

I forgot to mention Georgia when I was running down that list. Actually, how they played on D vs Georgia did impress me vs Georgia. The game was a blowout ,but I just kept waiting for it to get worse and Georgia just kept kicking FGs. However, I think Georgia had a game like that vs Vandy where they kept kicking FGs. Maybe that is more of a Georgia problem than a good Missouri thing. But maybe. I have no good read on Missouri.

Think I’d agree with s-k on mizzou elite pass d numbers being a product of comp. maybe not totally but I was pretty shocked when I read mizzou and elite pass d in same sentence cause I don’t think I would describe them as such. I havnt followed them all that close this year so certainly open to possibility im wrong.

Not sure if I’m in minority being that I’ve never been that great a fan of any team but they just havnt been interesting to me so I havnt paid very much attention and kinda wonder how much enthusiasm will be in Columbia considering this team was hyped up as supposed to be 8-0 before the “huge” games against Uga and fla!! Hardly was the case! lol

Not sure if I’m in minority being that I’ve never been that great a fan of any team but they just havnt been interesting to me so I havnt paid very much attention and kinda wonder how much enthusiasm will be in Columbia considering this team was hyped up as supposed to be 8-0 before the “huge” games against Uga and fla!! Hardly was the case! lol

Yadi disagrees. He‘s thankful for all the times you said he should run the team. And for all the inspiration you gave him by saying he sucks and is worse than Wieters

Yadi disagrees. He‘s thankful for all the times you said he should run the team. And for all the inspiration you gave him by saying he sucks and is worse than Wieters

Lol. I transferred my uncanny ability to the nfl Monday night game while saying and believing no way niners kicker misses in ot after looking so money to send it to ot!!! Shank city!! Lol.

It’s a gift and a curse.

Lol. I transferred my uncanny ability to the nfl Monday night game while saying and believing no way niners kicker misses in ot after looking so money to send it to ot!!! Shank city!! Lol.

It’s a gift and a curse.

I got a big presentation on Tuesday, think you can send a few insults of my intelligence my way in the meantime? :D

I got a big presentation on Tuesday, think you can send a few insults of my intelligence my way in the meantime? :D

I have always felt your perception of your intelligence far outweighed reality of the situation. I woulda brought it up sooner but you often overrate mine as well which is nice!! Lol

Good call about Mizzou's pass D, guys! I think I overrated it a bit. Sometimes watching film is bad...you look into schematic intricacies and watch players up close and that gives you an exaggerated impression of their abilities literally because you're magnifying it. I was also too down on Florida's receivers heading into the season so I still need to adjust my perception of them heading into the last game. Oh well I had a nice win streak going up until today, so I can't get too upset in all honesty.

Back