Florida vs. Kentucky Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Florida vs. Kentucky College Football Week 5 Picks

Florida Gators vs. Kentucky Wildcats
Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 6 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky

The Importance of Kentucky's Run Defense

The most important component of this game will be Kentucky's run defense.

Florida loves to run the ball: one statistic that indicates its dependence on running the ball is that it ranks 28th nationally in run-play percentage.

Kentucky might seem like a strong play because of its run defense statistics. Wildcat backers will certainly point to the fact that Kentucky ranks sixth nationally in limiting opposing rush yards per game.

Because run defense will be so important for Kentucky on Saturday -- given the Gators' proclivity to run the ball -- the Wildcats' run defense statistics warrant closer investigation in order to assess whether they help justify a play on the Wildcats.

Kentucky's Run Defense Stats

Especially at this time of year, statistics can be incredibly misleading.

Obviously, season-long statistics reflect a team or player's season-long performance.

At this stage of the season, however, teams will have played some non-conference games, many of which feature some utterly weak opponents.

In the Wildcats' case, they have played four games so far. Those games include one against UL Monroe, a team bad enough to only beat Jackson State by five points.

Another Wildcat opponent was another small, low-profile program, Chattanooga.

They did play two SEC schools, but neither one is worth being impressed about.

Those two SEC and Power 5 opponents were Missouri and South Carolina.

Missouri ranks 77th in rush yards per game despite getting to beat up Southeastern Missouri State. South Carolina, meanwhile, ranks 113th in the same category.

So, Kentucky's run defense stats are meaningless because they form a product of an extremely generous schedule so far.

A Closer Look

Because the Wildcat rush defense stats are not something we should attach value to, we should shift our attention to last year and this offseason. In other words, because Florida is a newly strong opponent for Kentucky, we should assess the Wildcat run defense somewhat as if it were a season opener.

Last year, Kentucky ranked sixth in the SEC in opposing rushing yardage despite having well-respected future NFL prospects like DeAndre Square and Josh Paschal in the front seven.

Kentucky's big loss this offseason was linebacker Jamin Davis, who played a significant role in any success that the Wildcat run defense had, for which reason he was selected 19th in the first round of this most recent NFL Daft.

Without Davis, the Wildcats pinned a lot of hopes on the transfer portal because they needed bodies, especially in their linebacking group where the depth has looked very bleak.

They've also tried to rely on significant levels of youth. For example, they had hope in guys like Jared Casey, a linebacker who they snagged from the Oregon Ducks.

But these young players simply aren't making an instant impact for UK and this lack of instant impact or instant growth will continue as they progress through the SEC gauntlet.

The lack of depth especially at linebacker has created awkward conundrums, planning-wise, for the defense.

One solution was going to be to start Vito Tisdale, a natural safety, at strongside linebacker. Tisdale, however, hasn't played a snap this year because he is having legal issues related to a burglary.

To account for these personnel issues in the linebacking unit, the Wildcats are employing packages that respect their relative strength in the secondary.

A smaller Wildcat group lacking substantial meat in the front seven will try to navigate some of the toughest rush attacks in the SEC and in the nation.

Florida Rush Offense

The toughness of Florida's rush attack is difficult to understate. Currently, the Gators rank third nationally in amassing 323 rushing yards per game.

Unlike Kentucky's, Florida's stats haven't just been inflated by playing weak opponents.

Two weeks ago, the Gators shredded top-ranked Alabama's run defense. In that game, they ran for 245 yards on 5.7 YPC in a two-point defeat.

They nearly beat the top team in the nation despite having an inept passer at quarterback in Emory Jones, who instead contributed to his team's success by participating in the option attack and otherwise using his legs to, often methodically, move the ball downfield.

Can Kentucky Keep Pace?

Defensively, the Gator weakness is easily against the pass. Its secondary is its weakest unit.

Whereas the Gators rank 31st nationally in limiting opposing rush yards, they rank 77th nationally in limiting opposing pass yards.

I dislike the Wildcats because they lack a reliable pass attack, despite the easy schedule that they've had so far.

They start a grad transfer in Will Levis who would have more interceptions than touchdowns if not for his "great" effort against UL Monroe.

Best Bet: Gators -7.5 at -105 with BetOnline

Last year, Ky's defense was night and day for 1 reason and 1 reason only...whether or not Bohanna was playing NT. He was a run-stuffer. We played our best team defense last year when he was healthy and playing...I think he missed 4-5 games and difference between the two were stark. You're right we did start off the year smaller but Brad White has slowly mixed in our big DLine recruiting haul from 2 years ago...Justin Rogers, a 5-star NT recruit from Michigan significant snaps Saturday night and Marquan McCall played his best game to date that I have seen out of him. Stoops' defense is at it's best when he has a NT taking up space in the middle and they've been working toward that goal....you'll see more of it this weekend. No mention of JJ Weaver at all?? Wow! He is our best defensive player and has been rushing the passer well this year....he has played limited snaps as he is coming off of knee surgery last season. No mention of turnovers?? Both teams have negative TO margins....Carrington Valentine CB got in a couple of sacks Sat night...a CB with sacks? Sounds like Brad White is getting creative with his defensive looks and he'll have a few ready in hopes to bait Emory into an INT. That's great news to hear FL is 77th in pass Defense hopefully that'll help Will Levis. But the key is can we protect Will Levis? How good is the Gators Defensive pass rush and TFL?? Our OLine is still a work in progress as far as pass-blocking is concerned after years of only run-blocking. I've not decided yet if we'll win the game or not still gotta see how the week plays out but I am encouraged by the line of a bit more than a TD....I was expecting a DD line.

:popcorn:

Yeah I saw Weaver injury stuff that‘s why I didn‘t mention him. Appreciate all the corrections and input JRock

Last year, Ky's defense was night and day for 1 reason and 1 reason only...whether or not Bohanna was playing NT. He was a run-stuffer. We played our best team defense last year when he was healthy and playing...I think he missed 4-5 games and difference between the two were stark. You're right we did start off the year smaller but Brad White has slowly mixed in our big DLine recruiting haul from 2 years ago...Justin Rogers, a 5-star NT recruit from Michigan significant snaps Saturday night and Marquan McCall played his best game to date that I have seen out of him. Stoops' defense is at it's best when he has a NT taking up space in the middle and they've been working toward that goal....you'll see more of it this weekend. No mention of JJ Weaver at all?? Wow! He is our best defensive player and has been rushing the passer well this year....he has played limited snaps as he is coming off of knee surgery last season. No mention of turnovers?? Both teams have negative TO margins....Carrington Valentine CB got in a couple of sacks Sat night...a CB with sacks? Sounds like Brad White is getting creative with his defensive looks and he'll have a few ready in hopes to bait Emory into an INT. That's great news to hear FL is 77th in pass Defense hopefully that'll help Will Levis. But the key is can we protect Will Levis? How good is the Gators Defensive pass rush and TFL?? Our OLine is still a work in progress as far as pass-blocking is concerned after years of only run-blocking. I've not decided yet if we'll win the game or not still gotta see how the week plays out but I am encouraged by the line of a bit more than a TD....I was expecting a DD line.

Good stuff Joan

Vito Tisdale and JuTahn McClain back at practice.....both these players would give both O & D a boost if cleared to play....Tisdale was one of if not the best corner last year.....esp. after Kelvin Joseph pulled his shit.

Good stuff buddy. I think Gators have a excellent pass rush/ability to get pressure. That was the main reason I liked them vs bama (even tho I was too chicken shit to play it! Lol. That was more about not knowing Gators could have that success on the ground). Gators rank 22nd nationally in sack percentage and I’d guess even higher w pressures (although I don’t know that for a fact). The DC is very good/creative with stunts and blitzes so they a real headache for a inexperienced or struggling oline.

I gotta trust you bout UK run defense, it appeared pretty solid vs mizzou (only uk game I’ve caught any of), but felt like Badie got about what I typically expect from him in that one. I was pretty surprised mizzou passing game was able to dink and dunk them up and down the field!! Am I wrong about assuming uk secondary is awesome? They have kinda become DB U (to a degree anyways). That the only team that has had that kind of success thru the air but ya’ll Havnt exactly been facing air raid attacks! Not that Gators are that either. Seems pretty obvious the biggest thing in this game will be cats ability to stop the run with backs and more importantly the qbs!

Ia Richardson gonna be back for Gators?

While I agree some teams stats are obviously padded based off competition level I don’t think it makes them totally meaningless. Just have to be graded on a curve so to speak.

As I mentioned above mizzou RB got just bout what I typically expect him to put up (obviously not against the crappy schools they have faced). Tigers passing attack really dink and dunked the shit out of uk in that game!! Again pretty typical for tigers when facing better competition. I dunno If it bodes real well for uk that mizzou got just about what their averages prob be at end of the year? Could be fair to say uk defense wasn’t up speed as of yet?

Anything uk gets thru the air a improvement on previous years where they had kids who not even qbs playing the position! I recall previous seasons where their offense was totally unwatchable. It was a miracle they could have any success on the ground as everyone played 8-9 in the box!!

Back