Florida State vs. Notre Dame Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Florida State vs. Notre Dame: Week 6 NCAAF Betting Picks and Game Predictions

Florida State Seminoles vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. ET (NBC) at Notre Dame Stadium in Notre Dame, Indiana

Intro

Dating to last season, Florida State has failed to cover the spread in six consecutive tries.

This season, the Seminoles were favored twice and failed to come within 10 points of covering the spread.

They were also a 12-point underdog in one game (against Miami), which they lost by 42 points.

It suffices to say: oddsmakers are struggling to account just for how bad Florida State is.

Part of the struggle is that the Seminoles have some talent. They have some recognizable names and they have some guys who have an NFL future.

But as a team, Florida State repeatedly proves to be so much worse than whatever its brightest individual talents may inspire hope to achieve.

Importance Of Running For Notre Dame

Under head coach Brian Kelly, Notre Dame is notorious for wanting to pound the rock.

Recruiting overly-sized, uniquely physical and strong offensive linemen is a persistent recruiting priority.

So it’s unsurprising to see that the Fighting Irish own the 13th-highest run play percentage in the nation.

Dating to last season, the Irish have covered four games in a row when they run for at least 190 yards.

Concerning the Seminoles’ run defense, it has hardly been tested at all. Georgia Tech and Jacksonville State should have posed negligible danger on the ground.

While the still rebuilding Yellow Jackets still managed to run for 161 yards, Miami ran for 200 in its 42-point blowout win.

Notre Dame Rush Attack vs. Florida State Run Defense

The Irish, arguably, have at least one of the nation’s top protection units.

Continuity is crucial here and the Irish returned a total of 114 starts on the offensive line.

So Kyren Williams has this advantage in terms of run-blocking that he knows how to exploit. After two games, he’s averaging six YPC as Notre Dame’s leading rusher.

He’ll also benefit from facing a Seminole run defense that ranks outside the top 100 in both run defense — as measured by opposing rush yards per game — and in opposing average YPC.

Ian Book vs. Seminole Pass Defense

Notre Dame quarterback Ian Book has gotten his fair share of flack. To be fair, he was perforce a rather conservative quarterback as he was limited by a bad deep ball. He also struggled against stronger pass defenses.

But Book fixed his problem with the deep ball. Last year, he was just one of four quarterbacks who completed at least half of their 20+-yard pass attempts while also completing at least 25 of them.

As for his struggles against stronger pass defense, he won’t have a chance to end those on Saturday because he faces a Seminole pass defense that ranks 116th.

He also benefits from the statistical unlikelihood of getting sacked as the Irish feature, most notably, a pair of NFL-caliber tackles. Liam Eichenberg, for example, did not allow even one sack in 2019.

Jordan Travis

Florida State’s anemic offense — the Seminoles have scored a combined total of 23 points in two ACC games (against Georgia Tech and Miami) — is desperate

So Jordan Travis will start. While his numbers look good, 17 of his 19 pass attempts in 2020 came against Jacksonville State. Before that game, he never exceeded a 55 percent completion rate in a season.

Overall, he is a familiar enough commodity given his game action. But he’s quite unproven against breathing competition.

His mobility is needed because the Seminoles rank 120th in sack percentage.

Notre Dame Pass Rush + Secondary

Still, Travis will be running for his life.

Notre Dame’s pass rush benefits from featuring well-coached position groups who remain productive even while injuries afflict their depth.

Right now, the Irish rank 29th in sack rate. Isaiah Foskey leads the team with two sacks in Notre Dame’s two games. He brings a nice mixture of strength -- with his uptick in weight and muscle — and speed off the edge.

At cornerback TaRiq Bracy is off to strong start. He’s already come up big for Notre Dame by filling in for starting corners before this season.

After allowing zero yards against Duke, he’s getting more recognition from PFF.

Nick McCloud, graduate transfer from NC State, adds more to the position.

They won’t be threatened by an inefficient Travis.

The Verdict

Notre Dame will keep scoring with its balanced attack against Florida State’s hapless defense.

Pressure to perform will continue to weigh on the inefficient Jordan Travis who will be running for his life while trying and failing to navigate Notre Dame’s quality and experience in pass coverage.

Best Bet: Fighting Irish -20.5 (-105) with BetOnline

It doesn't necessarily surprise me that FSU looked bad last week off the embarrassing ass kicking they got the week before vs rival Miami and while I think this line is pretty crazy, it is nearly impossible to make a credible case for FSU. I can't lay the number here personally. I basically only take dogs or don't bet the games, with some occasional exceptions, this won't be one though.

What's your score prediction? I might think that FSU D could play better than expected as I'm not completely all in on this ND O early in 2020. OL is good. Running game has potential. QB is good enough, but the receiving targets leave something to be desired...do you think so?

Good write-up as always. I can't make a good case for FSU, but a bit reluctant to back Irish after they've missed so much practice time due to COVID. Trying to talk myself into ND and that's my biggest cause for hesitation.

Hey....all my dudes from SBR migrated over here....must be a better place....I'm going to start coming here more often....Its me Smutbucket

What up Bank and BiffT....good to see you both around. Good stuff, Bank I love Louisville too tmrw night, Lets get it and make some money. You got NFL thread going?

Hey....all my dudes from SBR migrated over here....must be a better place....I'm going to start coming here more often....Its me Smutbucket

What up Bank and BiffT....good to see you both around. Good stuff, Bank I love Louisville too tmrw night, Lets get it and make some money. You got NFL thread going?
Welcome!

Hey, Smut, good to see ya, brotha!

good seeing you brotha. Another good addition to the board! I’ve had many guys from the other place pming me and asking where I been, I been telling them I made this my new full time home, might not be as much quantity over here but the quality of posters is far and away better and hardly any the garbage kiddy bs., outside the great contest they offer (which why I still contribute the 100 a year) there really no reason to post at that place as it mostly a bunch of ignorant trolls who allowed to clutter the good threads with garbage!! Think you will find it much more enjoyable discussing games with guys over here who not only collectively pretty sharp but also capable of having respectful discussions about the games which really why I’m on these forums in the 1st place!!!

(Ps powers that be: any chance I can start getting a commission as I plan on seeing several more defectors in the coming weeks!! Lol)

Back