Florida State vs. Miami Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Florida State vs. Miami: NCAAF Week 4 Betting Picks and Game Predictions.

Florida State Seminoles vs. Miami Hurricanes
Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. ET (ABC) at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida

The Spot

After opening as 9.5-point favorites, Miami is now favored by as many as 11.5 points. Bettors are probably influenced by the way both teams have looked so far this season.

What oddsmakers and these bettors do not account for is the unique situation.

Miami is coming off of a big, emotional win, a 47-34 upset win on the road. Now the Hurricanes go to face an 0-1 Seminole squad which they beat by 17 points last year and which was upset by Georgia Tech this year.

This game represents a sandwich spot for them because they get to play top-ranked Clemson the following week. So in addition to being in a classic let-down situation, they also find themselves in a lookahead spot.

We have some recent history which shows the Hurricanes to be vulnerable in this kind of scenario.

Broadly speaking, one might conclude that they had trouble taking big underdogs seriously last year.

They lost three games in 2019 where they were favored by more than 18 points.

One of those losses came against Georgia Tech after they achieved an upset win the week before against Virginia.

Also, two times they followed a win where they produced a rare 40+-point total with a let-down effort.

After beating Bethune-Cookman 63-0, they lost to Central Michigan 17-12. After blowing out Louisville while scoring 52 points, they lost to Florida International.

Moreover, Florida State has had an extra week to prepare. It is true that FSU’s head coach tested positive COVID and remains unable to physically be with his team.

But Mike Norvell can help prepare his squad remotely. Also, with a new primary play-caller on Saturday, the Seminoles will bring an element of surprise, something that Miami hasn’t seen on film and can’t prepare for.

Also, this is a rivalry game. Florida State is going to come out with a big chip on its shoulder and, most importantly, with motivating hatred in their hearts.

Despite the fact that the Hurricanes pulled away in the fourth quarter of last year’s game, this series has a significant history of being very close no matter what the spread is.

Before last year’s game, the previous five contests in this series had been decided by 14 points or fewer.

These close contests include the one in 2018 where, in a flip of script, Florida State was the heavily favored squad (by 14) and won by one point at home.

There have been plenty of other times, too, in the recent history between both schools, where the heavily underdogged squad made this game close.

One-score games have been the rule to expect in this rivalry’s recent history.

Match-Up Advantage #1: In The Passing Game

I want to look at a couple of match-ups that favor the Seminoles in their upset bid.

One, the Hurricanes are notably thin at wide receiver. Hence, only one of their top three pass-catchers in terms of yardage is a wide receiver.

On the other hand, the Seminoles’ top cornerback is formidable.

Asante Samuel Jr. has been a bright spot for the 'Noles. In his team’s season opener, he achieved the fairly rare feat of picking off two passes.

Last year was his first year starting. He led the ACC and ranked eighth nationally in breaking up 14 passes. His numbers helped him earn third-team All-ACC honors.

He uses his fluid and efficient movement, his eye discipline, quickness, and instincts to exhibit ball-hawking skills that result in incomplete passes or even interceptions.

With him on the field, Miami will have even greater trouble relying on any wide receiver, which will hurt its ability to move downfield and to score enough to cover the big spread.

Match-Up Advantage #2: Linebackers

Miami had to replace the pure heart and soul of its defense in the form of three linebackers: Michael Pinckney and Shaq Quarterman.

They were responsible for a huge number of the team’s game-changing defensive plays, of the havoc created and turnovers that Miami prides itself on.

Both were top-10 linebackers in the nation according to Lindy's, for example. Their absence creates regression in Miami’s pass and run defense.

In addition to offering a threat alongside both linebackers near the line of scrimmage, Romeo Finley’s departure is also meaningful given his ability to blanket opposing tight ends.

For FSU, Camren McDonald will take advantage. The former four-star has great size, body control, and ball skills that he also flashes in contested-catch situations.

His feet and agility facilitate strong route-running skills. The way that he can line-up to create different match-up opportunities yields diversely positive opportunities.

In his team’s season opener, he caught four passes for 41 yards.

The Verdict

In a uniquely strong situation, the Seminoles will come out and limit Miami’s passing game with the likes of Samuel and attack Miami’s regressed, thus far shaky-looking defense with playmakers like McDonald.

I find that spot plays benefit the team in the more positive spot primarily in the first half. Then, the other team regroups in the locker room and comes out differently for the second half.

So I prefer a first-half play.

Best Bet: Seminoles First-Half +6.5 (-105) at Heritage

Florida State vs. Miami: NCAAF Week 4 Betting Picks and Game Predictions.

Florida State Seminoles vs. Miami Hurricanes
Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. ET (ABC) at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida

The Spot

After opening as 9.5-point favorites, Miami is now favored by as many as 11.5 points. Bettors are probably influenced by the way both teams have looked so far this season.

What oddsmakers and these bettors do not account for is the unique situation.

Miami is coming off of a big, emotional win, a 47-34 upset win on the road. Now the Hurricanes go to face an 0-1 Seminole squad which they beat by 17 points last year and which was upset by Georgia Tech this year.

This game represents a sandwich spot for them because they get to play top-ranked Clemson the following week. So in addition to being in a classic let-down situation, they also find themselves in a lookahead spot.

We have some recent history which shows the Hurricanes to be vulnerable in this kind of scenario.

Broadly speaking, one might conclude that they had trouble taking big underdogs seriously last year.

They lost three games in 2019 where they were favored by more than 18 points.

One of those losses came against Georgia Tech after they achieved an upset win the week before against Virginia.

Also, two times they followed a win where they produced a rare 40+-point total with a let-down effort.

After beating Bethune-Cookman 63-0, they lost to Central Michigan 17-12. After blowing out Louisville while scoring 52 points, they lost to Florida International.

Moreover, Florida State has had an extra week to prepare. It is true that FSU’s head coach tested positive COVID and remains unable to physically be with his team.

But Mike Norvell can help prepare his squad remotely. Also, with a new primary play-caller on Saturday, the Seminoles will bring an element of surprise, something that Miami hasn’t seen on film and can’t prepare for.

Also, this is a rivalry game. Florida State is going to come out with a big chip on its shoulder and, most importantly, with motivating hatred in their hearts.

Despite the fact that the Hurricanes pulled away in the fourth quarter of last year’s game, this series has a significant history of being very close no matter what the spread is.

Before last year’s game, the previous five contests in this series had been decided by 14 points or fewer.

These close contests include the one in 2018 where, in a flip of script, Florida State was the heavily favored squad (by 14) and won by one point at home.

There have been plenty of other times, too, in the recent history between both schools, where the heavily underdogged squad made this game close.

One-score games have been the rule to expect in this rivalry’s recent history.

Match-Up Advantage #1: In The Passing Game

I want to look at a couple of match-ups that favor the Seminoles in their upset bid.

One, the Hurricanes are notably thin at wide receiver. Hence, only one of their top three pass-catchers in terms of yardage is a wide receiver.

On the other hand, the Seminoles’ top cornerback is formidable.

Asante Samuel Jr. has been a bright spot for the 'Noles. In his team’s season opener, he achieved the fairly rare feat of picking off two passes.

Last year was his first year starting. He led the ACC and ranked eighth nationally in breaking up 14 passes. His numbers helped him earn third-team All-ACC honors.

He uses his fluid and efficient movement, his eye discipline, quickness, and instincts to exhibit ball-hawking skills that result in incomplete passes or even interceptions.

With him on the field, Miami will have even greater trouble relying on any wide receiver, which will hurt its ability to move downfield and to score enough to cover the big spread.

Match-Up Advantage #2: Linebackers

Miami had to replace the pure heart and soul of its defense in the form of three linebackers: Michael Pinckney and Shaq Quarterman.

They were responsible for a huge number of the team’s game-changing defensive plays, of the havoc created and turnovers that Miami prides itself on.

Both were top-10 linebackers in the nation according to Lindy's, for example. Their absence creates regression in Miami’s pass and run defense.

In addition to offering a threat alongside both linebackers near the line of scrimmage, Romeo Finley’s departure is also meaningful given his ability to blanket opposing tight ends.

For FSU, Camren McDonald will take advantage. The former four-star has great size, body control, and ball skills that he also flashes in contested-catch situations.

His feet and agility facilitate strong route-running skills. The way that he can line-up to create different match-up opportunities yields diversely positive opportunities.

In his team’s season opener, he caught four passes for 41 yards.

The Verdict

In a uniquely strong situation, the Seminoles will come out and limit Miami’s passing game with the likes of Samuel and attack Miami’s regressed, thus far shaky-looking defense with playmakers like McDonald.

I find that spot plays benefit the team in the more positive spot primarily in the first half. Then, the other team regroups in the locker room and comes out differently for the second half.

So I prefer a first-half play.

Best Bet: Seminoles First-Half +6.5 (-105) at Heritage

hate betting these rivalry games where one team is just so bad. Fsu is horrible, but I do agree, the spot is good for them. Extra week, Miami off the Louisville win, could see them hang tight for a while.

Dont agree with you here.

Who needs rest they played one game.

Miami's shaky defense? Miami defense is way better than GTs

Seems like you are trying to build facts to help support your predisposition for the situation.

Miami has played 2 games, they might be hyped but no way they look past FSU. I doubt they are like we want Clemson. This is a rebuilding year at FSU.

Assante Samuel is fine but his name helps. He has like 2 lifetime interceptions

Let's go

If things were the same old, I would agree with your thoughts without reservation. King is a real QB tho and their off coordinator might just start breaking out. If not for Norvell, FSU would be depress city, its gloomy now, it will get better but doubtful this week with Norvell out with the cold and the same old offense that makes their defense hate them

I want to go FSU with the spot just bc I think that Miami is getting way too much love after they broke big play after big play on Louisville's poor tackling. Huge Norvell fan but I can't get behind Blackman, that dude is inconsistent as hell and makes some awful decisions. I also don't think Samuel's feat of the two picks on the GT freshman is all that impressive with the throws he was making. It's a no play for me ultimately, gonna just sit back and enjoy this one. I hope that Miami completely rolls them, as I think FSU will improve a lot throughout the year and could be an under the radar team to back in the second half of the season under Norvell.

And Johnny btw I didn't say anything about rest. I just said an extra week to prepare. Because you're right it's just been one game.

Miami is big play dependent and overhyped at the moment no doubt. A solid defense will give them fits soon enough. I really want to fade Miami but for me this isn’t quite the spot yet. The key for this to come through will be an early turnover on the wrong side of the field or FSU coming up with 3rd down stops and maintaining the edge to remove a few early big plays.

Miami is not going to lose because they are having a letdown after beating Louisville. These teams hate each other so there will be no lookaheads for either of them. Miami will fall flat on their faces at some point as they always do but I'm not sure this is the game.

Back