Florida State fires Taggert

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Not surprised. When you make a mistake it's better to admit it and take steps to remedy it

Who amongst us remembers the day Willie was hired and said oh hell yes, just what the doctor ordered. Nobody. Shit can hire from day one.

Oregon better off, FSU will be too. Need then to be relevant again so someone can challenge Clemson.

There is no red-hot coaching candidate out there (I'm not counting Urban, I'm not sure he'll coach again because of his health and the baggage he carries from Florida and Ohio State) and by firing Taggert now they get a little jump on USC who is sure to fire Helton at some point.

Might have fired him this week, but i doubt the New AD wants to fire him his first week on the job.

There is no red-hot coaching candidate out there (I'm not counting Urban, I'm not sure he'll coach again because of his health and the baggage he carries from Florida and Ohio State) and by firing Taggert now they get a little jump on USC who is sure to fire Helton at some point.

Might have fired him this week, but i doubt the New AD wants to fire him his first week on the job.
AD already said, he would NOT be a candidate.

I already expressed my interest. Since LSU continually went after Jimbo and helped Sexton leverage raises for Jimbo, I would go after Aranda as the HC. I would also try to get Joe Brady to come along as the OC. Both would be promotions over their current gigs.

I already expressed my interest. Since LSU continually went after Jimbo and helped Sexton leverage raises for Jimbo, I would go after Aranda as the HC. I would also try to get Joe Brady to come along as the OC. Both would be promotions over their current gigs.
LOL

Why in the fuck would you want Aranda as a HC tho? This isn’t the time to take another flyer bro.....

Agreed...the sooner you make the transition the better.

Why in the fuck would you want Aranda as a HC tho? This isn’t the time to take another flyer bro.....
Just want a defensive minded coach. Venables has continually expressed that he is happy to remain a career DC, so he would more likely pass. Besides, he has a proven track record of producing a quality product. Unlike the last, so called flyer, who had a career losing record and did not improve upon that during is time in Tallahassee.

Just want a defensive minded coach. Venables has continually expressed that he is happy to remain a career DC, so he would more likely pass. Besides, he has a proven track record of producing a quality product. Unlike the last, so called flyer, who had a career losing record and did not improve upon that during is time in Tallahassee.
I would just want a Head Coach personally. Is Stoops(either) an option?

i want an offensive mind coach who can develop a QB.... can always fins a DC who is a whiz on D shit they can keep Leavitt n make him DC....... dont know who FSU wish list is...... but hearing Norvell from mem is high on list

Hadn't thought of Mark Stoops, but I like that idea.

If he was able to compete in the SEC with a school with no recruiting base and no tradition he might shine at a school with all the advantages.

x3 on Mark Stoops.

Previous time spent there as DC.

Has built UK to a point and sustained it, UK may be capped beyond what the HC's ability is. Somebody might be able to take UK to the top of SEC East hierarchy annually, I tend to think not. So Stoops has a good resume with what he has done there.

I think Mark is a very good coach, he isn't a proven great coach. These boosters who got the buyout money together likely have highly unrealistic expectations.

With Noles4life posting Norvell, that could work. He is a little less proven in terms of running a big program with tougher opponents. Does he fit into the list of the big money booster guys?

Who amongst us remembers the day Willie was hired and said oh hell yes, just what the doctor ordered. Nobody. Shit can hire from day one.
Florida fans seem almost unanimous in their disappointment that FSU fired Taggart, which probably means it was the right move even though I might have waited another three games.

Last edited:
I'd be okay with Scott. He has done well and will get an opportunity at some point.
I'd like to keep him at Clemson, but my honest opinion is that he would be very successful in Tallahassee. I can't say that he's the best choice, but I certainly would take a close look at him.

Why would you like Stoops as a Nole? B/C he took UK to 9 wins in a trash SECe? Eddie Gran's offense is crap and Stoops has clinged to him. Nah.
The fascinating thing about Stoops is that he has somehow managed to compile a 34-47-2 ATS record while elevating the UK program. How is that possible?

If I were the AD I'd hire Mike Leach, no matter how much money it took, and sit back and get patted on the back for the next decade for being such a smart AD.

Looks like FSU has zeroed in on Bob Stoops. Rumors are hot and heavy, both in Florida and Oklahoma, and the AD admitted they are in talks with Stoops.

Makes sense. Stoops can right the ship immediately, owns a home in Florida and was DC under Spurrier at Florida, and Jim Leavitt is already at FSU as an analyst and those two go back to Kansas St days.

Just make sure to put in Bob's contract he cannot hire his brother Mike as a coordinator

Looks like FSU has zeroed in on Bob Stoops. Rumors are hot and heavy, both in Florida and Oklahoma, and the AD admitted they are in talks with Stoops.

Makes sense. Stoops can right the ship immediately, owns a home in Florida and was DC under Spurrier at Florida, and Jim Leavitt is already at FSU as an analyst and those two go back to Kansas St days.

Just make sure to put in Bob's contract he cannot hire his brother Mike as a coordinator
LOL! Thanks, Bob -- Brent Venables is the gift that keeps on giving!

Stoops' role in revolutionizing the game is underrated:

Technically true, but no doubt someone is talking on his behalf.

Doesn't mean he'll take the job, but Bob is a homerun for FSU or any other school.

He's an old fashioned, word-is-your-bond type guy and a great coach.

I hope they hire him.

College football is better with FSU back as a power and with Bob coaching somewhere

Isn't Stoops the coach for an XFL team? Would he bail on them before they even play their first game?

Technically true, but no doubt someone is talking on his behalf.

Doesn't mean he'll take the job, but Bob is a homerun for FSU or any other school.

He's an old fashioned, word-is-your-bond type guy and a great coach.

I hope they hire him.

College football is better with FSU back as a power and with Bob coaching somewhere
Agree on all this.

Isn't Stoops the coach for an XFL team? Would he bail on them before they even play their first game?

He was doing a book tour a few weeks ago and appeared on alot of radio interviews to push the book.

If I remember I think he said the only reason he took the XFL job is because it was close to home and he wanted just a little back in the action. I'd be surprised if the rumors of his interest in FSU are true.

How can you be taken seriously when you are supposedly looking at Deon Sanders? I hope it is not true that he is a candidate. What was the rumor last week, Bob Stoops? Are we going to have a wildly untrue weekly rumor on this?

How can you be taken seriously when you are supposedly looking at Deon Sanders? I hope it is not true that he is a candidate. What was the rumor last week, Bob Stoops? Are we going to have a wildly untrue weekly rumor on this?
Yup, we have several weeks of rumors one would think.

Back