Florida State at Pittsburgh

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
I know Silky is around ... so this seems like a good one to discuss. Instead of sitting around complaining how slow it is around here ... let's each one of us participate in our own small way and get this ball rolling already.

Take out a magnifying glass and look closely at this game :searching:. And if this game does not interest you then start a discussion about another game. We are just a few days away folks.

Not in love betting on a redshirt freshman qb, but I don't think Pitt has any horses that can play with fsu. I think fsu's defense will hold Pitt to next to nothing and give a not so nice welcome to the acc...

I think FSU's defense holds Pitt to less than 2 TDs and Winston makes enough plays with his feet to cover the spread. If Winston was a Freshman pocket passer making his first start I'd likely lean Pitt. However his feet and natural athleticism will make a huge difference here

I think FSU's defense holds Pitt to less than 2 TDs and Winston makes enough plays with his feet to cover the spread. If Winston was a Freshman pocket passer making his first start I'd likely lean Pitt. However his feet and natural athleticism will make a huge difference here

I completely agree. Many are shying away from betting FSU because they'll be starting a redshirt freshman at QB. Well I'm not staying away because Jameis Winston is under center, I'm betting it because Jameis Winston is under center. I've seen him play. The guy is the real deal.

I also agree that Pitt will struggle to score. Overall I think this is a talent mismatch pretty much across the board. I think we'll see a final score of something like a 31-10.

The important thing for FSU offense in helping with a redshirt freshman starting his first game on the road is returning 4/5 OL, 2/3 of the top RB, and top 2 WR. Pitt D returns 8 and was decent last year but exposed against the better teams they played. FSU loses a lot up front and must replace 4 DL drafted and while they almost have to drop off a little there, I still think they have enough talent to take advantage of a Pitt O line starting redshirt freshmen at both C and LT. The only known weapon for Pitt offense is Devin Street and but again with FSU returning 3/4 in secondary including 2 senior safeties, I think they can take him out of the game.

Have been debating between a play on FSU or the Under as I can see FSU keeping the offense close to the vest and doing most of their damage through the run game, burning clock and would be surprised to see Pitt put up more than 14 but really leaning laying toward laying the 10 right now.

Agree with all points mentioned. I'm just convinced that Pitt will struggle all season with the general speed of the ACC and not being familiar at all with most of their foes. Long season ahead for them, IMO, would bet u6 total wins.

completely agree with winston being the real deal. only concern with fsu is injuries at wr.
in year two of the paul chryst experience, savage will be better than sunseri from the first snap. they lose graham and shell but the receiving targets are gonna be much better. losing shanahan is addition by subtraction. if this was just another year in the big east I'd be really interested in pitt but the jump to the acc will be brutal.

Ok here's the condensed deal. Pitt has a good vet defense, with some highly rated folks over there. On offense tho, Pitt neither has the skill or scheme to do much vs FSU. The weakness of the FSU D is WDE, specifically Dan Hicks. You attack him/the position by using tons of power o & counter. Pitt just so happens to run those every play. The problem starts though with Pitt not having anyone inside to stop Jernigan, McCallister or take your pick of 4/5 star DTs. So most often those plays get squeezed in the backfield. Next when it's time to pass Pitt doesn't having any real receiving targets. They're all gone & what's left is bunk. That leaves FSU's talented secondary in a position to jump routes. Pick 6 waiting to happen.

Think it starts close back & forth, but by 3rd q you'll see FSu pull away. JWJ & Devonta will pound & pound away at the Pitt D, then Mario Pender will enter late 3rd for a couple long speedy runs. Jameis won't be asked to do too much. They'll run alot, set him up with some simple throws to get Rythym. Then let the kid play.

Thinking something like 33-13

Pitt is starting a true frosh at WR - Tyler Boyd. He was a big recruit for them to get...He is easily their most athletic playmaker. Im sure Chryst will try to get him some touches early but he is a true freshman. He is the all-time leader in TD's in the state of PA - he scored 117 TD's. He may not make a difference on Labor Day night but remember the name going forward.

I do want to note only 1 offense has completed >65% & had >8ypa for the last 3yrs. the one Paul Chryst is in charge of. Pitt LY, Wisky '11 & '10. And I think Sunseri gets a bad rap, all the kid did LY was complete 65% of his passes at 8.4ypa & toss 21tds to just 3ints

respectfully disagree. sunseri was awful. yeah he constantly changed offenses but regardless of the terrible big east defense he couldn't consistently complete anything but a swing, screen or a 9. they won't hang with fsu and acc will give em fits, but their passing game at least has a chance now.

respectfully disagree. sunseri was awful. yeah he constantly changed offenses but regardless of the terrible big east defense he couldn't consistently complete anything but a swing, screen or a 9. they won't hang with fsu and acc will give em fits, but their passing game at least has a chance now.

I am a huge Pitt guy....and I despise Sunseri....he was not a D-1 QB....with that said....

Sunseri had 21 TD's and 3 INT's last yr - Chryst is a friggin miracle worker to get those stats from that kid.

I am a huge Pitt guy....and I despise Sunseri....he was not a D-1 QB....with that said....

Sunseri had 21 TD's and 3 INT's last yr - Chryst is a friggin miracle worker to get those stats from that kid.

That point about Sunseri not being a D-1 qb is very true. The loss of him will mean little to nothing when he is replaced the the new starter. On the other side of the coin, losing Manuel (to NFL) is gigantic and it will show in this one as Pitt will be a solid play if I can get them above the 10 and maybe 11. I suspect that many will love FSU and move this one up.

Greg McElroy II???

Sunseri was painful....The games escape me, but didnt he have like 1 or 2 decent games?

I hated having Pitt money last year(was not often I did)

Back