Florida St @ Wake Forest 10/11

spanishshark

Youngest guy on the forum
18-14 YTD
18-13 ATS
0-1 Totals

Great win with Navy last night. Tonight's game is going to be very interesting indeed.
Florida St. goes to Wake Forest in what I believe is going to be the most emotional game of the season for coach Bowden and his team. Let me refresh some memmories. Wake Forest came into Florida State's house last year and gave them a whooping to the tune of 30-0. Because of that embarrasment, coach Bowden's son, Jeff Bowden, resigned. It was also Xavier Lee's last start for the Noles. Yes, alot of things happened because of that game and if you dont believe that any of that is going to affect the way Florida State plays today then you might as well give ME your money. Dont give it to the books ! I'll send you my addy if you want. haha. Anyways, Florida State's defense has improved this year whereas Wake's has declined. Also, Florida State's offense is playing alot better too now under Offensive Coordinator Jimbo Fisher. Xavier and the Noles will not underestimate the Deacons this year and you can bet on that. Neither team has had too much time to prepare for this game...you think? :36_1_12:

The Noles will prevail in a convincing manner tonight.

Florida State - 5 1/2 :cheers:

ahh road chalk with fsu makes me gag, gl shark, i don't know if i can do that. Home team is 10-3 on thurs night too.

You jumpin on the Cocks this wkend?

nice work on navy last night bro!! thx

i'll ride fla st as well good rev spot, but i might just do a ml parlay add the rockies or something.

Im wth you shark, I rareley ever bet on, or against, my Noles but I told myself coming into the week that if this was less than 7, I would be all over FSU. I will never bet on the noles, unless I feel like I have a good feel for them (which I havent had in a while) and I feel like we are headed in the right direction. Wake just isn't very good this year, and FSU is showing major improvements. XL is looking good, and the running game is seemingly about to turn the corner. A big part of our recent offensive success (somewhat) is that defenses can't stack the box and expose our weak and inexperienced O-Line because we have a mobile QB that can escape the pressure and make plays, as opposed to Weatherford who has zero pocket presence, and zero awareness to go along with the fact that he moves like a baby deer in headlights. Our defense has been outstanding he last 3 games and Wake's has been atrocious. They just gave up 36 @ Duke, and have not been impressive in any of their 5 games this year. I know 30-0 looks bad from last year... But, that was under Jeff Bowden... we managed only 139 yards, turned the ball over 4 times to Wake's 0, Wake had only 3 drives of over 50 yards (resulting in 13 points, and one of those was a 51 yard drive that they got 3 pooints out of) They had a Pick 6, Weatherford threw another pick that gave them the ball @ the 18 (resulting in 7 points) and Lee threw a pick that gave them the ball at the 9 (3 points).

Revenge factor: check. Jeff Bowden Fired factor: check. XL factor: check. :cheers:

We are going to spread them out to open up some running lanes and try to compensate for our OLine struggles. They are learning Trickett's system day by day and getting better. XL has been patient and it has paid off. He has looked far and away better than anyone that we have had back there since McPherson a few years back, and then Weinke before him. Look for Preston Parker to be involved in some gadget plays and WR screens that Jimbo loves to throw when he's in the game. This kid is a play...maker. He is a major threat in open space, while I love sex and Carr are the 2 huge recievers with "ok" hands but not the best route runners. I love sex has been better about catching the ball lately after his early season struggles almost cost him his job. Antone Smith is filthy, but the OLine often struggles to open up holes for him, so we will continue to run some stretch plays and tosses out of the more conventional I-Form, again, to open up some lanes in the middle.

Defensively, if we can keep from turning the ball over and giving up great starting position we shouldnt have too much trouble keeping them out of the endzone. However, the have an outstanding Kicker in Sam Swank who can give them some points any time the Deacons get inside the 40 and that is huge in college football... believe me, I am a noles fan... haha. Their offense is averaging 27 ppg but they have yet to face a defense as talented and fast as FSU's so I will give them 13-16 points and that is solely out of respect for their Kicker. FSU's defense is one of those that shows up big time on national TV it seems, so my prediction for tonight...

Seminoles 27
Wake 13

My play: FSU (-6) 3 units

If you like Wake, I would really consider the 1h line before I would the entire game. FSU is typically a slow starting team in the first half, and has only been up once this year going into the break (@ CU 10-0). This game, to me, has the feel of the Thursday night BC-FSU game a few years ago @ BC for some reason.

BOL in whatever you play :cheers:

With you boys on FSU as well, just locked in at -5x (see this being at least 6 by the kick)...gl to us:)

I wouldn't lay points with this team on the road, even after bama made em look like an NFL defense. I won't be on this game either way though, so good luck!

Im wth you shark, I rareley ever bet on, or against, my Noles but I told myself coming into the week that if this was less than 7, I would be all over FSU. I will never bet on the noles, unless I feel like I have a good feel for them (which I havent had in a while) and I feel like we are headed in the right direction. Wake just isn't very good this year, and FSU is showing major improvements. XL is looking good, and the running game is seemingly about to turn the corner. A big part of our recent offensive success (somewhat) is that defenses can't stack the box and expose our weak and inexperienced O-Line because we have a mobile QB that can escape the pressure and make plays, as opposed to Weatherford who has zero pocket presence, and zero awareness to go along with the fact that he moves like a baby deer in headlights. Our defense has been outstanding he last 3 games and Wake's has been atrocious. They just gave up 36 @ Duke, and have not been impressive in any of their 5 games this year. I know 30-0 looks bad from last year... But, that was under Jeff Bowden... we managed only 139 yards, turned the ball over 4 times to Wake's 0, Wake had only 3 drives of over 50 yards (resulting in 13 points, and one of those was a 51 yard drive that they got 3 pooints out of) They had a Pick 6, Weatherford threw another pick that gave them the ball @ the 18 (resulting in 7 points) and Lee threw a pick that gave them the ball at the 9 (3 points).

Revenge factor: check. Jeff Bowden Fired factor: check. XL factor: check. :cheers:

We are going to spread them out to open up some running lanes and try to compensate for our OLine struggles. They are learning Trickett's system day by day and getting better. XL has been patient and it has paid off. He has looked far and away better than anyone that we have had back there since McPherson a few years back, and then Weinke before him. Look for Preston Parker to be involved in some gadget plays and WR screens that Jimbo loves to throw when he's in the game. This kid is a play...maker. He is a major threat in open space, while I love sex and Carr are the 2 huge recievers with "ok" hands but not the best route runners. I love sex has been better about catching the ball lately after his early season struggles almost cost him his job. Antone Smith is filthy, but the OLine often struggles to open up holes for him, so we will continue to run some stretch plays and tosses out of the more conventional I-Form, again, to open up some lanes in the middle.

Defensively, if we can keep from turning the ball over and giving up great starting position we shouldnt have too much trouble keeping them out of the endzone. However, the have an outstanding Kicker in Sam Swank who can give them some points any time the Deacons get inside the 40 and that is huge in college football... believe me, I am a noles fan... haha. Their offense is averaging 27 ppg but they have yet to face a defense as talented and fast as FSU's so I will give them 13-16 points and that is solely out of respect for their Kicker. FSU's defense is one of those that shows up big time on national TV it seems, so my prediction for tonight...

Seminoles 27
Wake 13

My play: FSU (-6) 3 units

If you like Wake, I would really consider the 1h line before I would the entire game. FSU is typically a slow starting team in the first half, and has only been up once this year going into the break (@ CU 10-0). This game, to me, has the feel of the Thursday night BC-FSU game a few years ago @ BC for some reason.

BOL in whatever you play :cheers:

Excellent info. Its the only logical pick for me. Matter of fact, after I ran my numbers, the line is exactly where it should be but without the emotional and intensity factors that Florida St. will bring tonight. Which is why I think FSU wins by 7 or more.

ahh road chalk with fsu makes me gag, gl shark, i don't know if i can do that. Home team is 10-3 on thurs night too.

You jumpin on the Cocks this wkend?

LOL, umm, I assume you're talking about SC right? :36_11_6:

I havent capped it yet but hot damn, that line looks enticing. How can SC not cover that? You have any info on that game?

Precise and Mags....:cheers:

Hey Precise, good luck on the parlay bud. Glad you made some last night :cheers:

I told MistaFlava yesterday before the Pitt game that he had "more cajones than I do to lay pts with Pitt".

I am going to tell you that you have more cajones than I do to lay 5.5 pts on the road with an offense as sluggish as the Noles

18-14 YTD
18-13 ATS
0-1 Totals

Great win with Navy last night. Tonight's game is going to be very interesting indeed.
Florida St. goes to Wake Forest in what I believe is going to be the most emotional game of the season for coach Bowden and his team. Let me refresh some memmories. Wake Forest came into Florida State's house last year and gave them a whooping to the tune of 30-0. Because of that embarrasment, coach Bowden's son, Jeff Bowden, resigned. It was also Xavier Lee's last start for the Noles. Yes, alot of things happened because of that game and if you dont believe that any of that is going to affect the way Florida State plays today then you might as well give ME your money. Dont give it to the books ! I'll send you my addy if you want. haha. Anyways, Florida State's defense has improved this year whereas Wake's has declined. Also, Florida State's offense is playing alot better too now under Offensive Coordinator Jimbo Fisher. Xavier and the Noles will not underestimate the Deacons this year and you can bet on that. Neither team has had too much time to prepare for this game...you think? :36_1_12:

The Noles will prevail in a convincing manner tonight.

Florida State - 5 1/2 :cheers:

we got home NAVY last nite......LETS GET HOME FSU!

LETS GO FSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told MistaFlava yesterday before the Pitt game that he had "more cajones than I do to lay pts with Pitt".

I am going to tell you that you have more cajones than I do to lay 5.5 pts on the road with an offense as sluggish as the Noles

What are you trying to do , jinx me? :36_11_6: Everything I've come up with points to FSU tonight. :36_9_2:

What are you trying to do , jinx me? :36_11_6: Everything I've come up with points to FSU tonight. :36_9_2:

LOL, would never try to jinx you or anybody else bro. What I would do however is try to save you some cash.

This is a tough spot for the Noles tonight as Wake will be sky high at home, at night, in a nat'lly televised game. They will give top effort.

I think FSU is slightly better, but I would not give 5.5 to WF esp since the FSU offense is so unpredictable.

That's all I'm saying. GL

heres some recent trends for you trendy guys

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffdccb><TD class=small-copy-sans vAlign=top width="29%" bgColor=#ffdccb>Florida State:</TD><TD class=small-copy-sans bgColor=#ffffff>
  • <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>Under is 22-10 in FSU last 32 road games.
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffdccb><TD class=small-copy-sans vAlign=top width="29%" bgColor=#ffdccb>Wake Forest:</TD><TD class=small-copy-sans bgColor=#ffffff>
  • <LI class=more><?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>Under is 7-1 in WFRST last 8 home games. <LI class=more>WFRST are 9-2 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
  • WFRST are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games in October.
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffdccb><TD class=small-copy-sans vAlign=top width="29%" bgColor=#ffdccb>Head to Head:</TD><TD class=small-copy-sans bgColor=#ffffff>
  • <LI class=more><?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>FSU are 2-6-1 ATS in their last 9 meetings.
  • Underdog is 6-2-1 ATS in their last 9 meet
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Florida State is on a mini roll. After the first half meltdown at Clemson, which ultimately cost them the game, the 'Noles have won four straight. That's the longest winning streak since early in the 2005 season.

Making it five in a row will be a difficult task.

Florida State travels to Winston-Salem, North Carolina tonight for a showdown against Wake Forest (3-2, 2-1 ACC), a team that embarrassed the 'Noles last year winning 30-0 in Doak Campbell Stadium. Even though that game took place over a year ago, it is still fresh in the minds of the Seminole coaches and players.

"I hope kickers, defense and offense, all of them, it stuck in their minds," Bowden said of last year's loss. "They (won by) 30 points. That was the worst part about the season right there. Every other game you could have won."

On the bright side for the Garnet and Gold, this is a much different team with a totally revamped coaching staff. With the return of Budd Thacker, who missed the past two games with a dislocated toe, a very stout defense should be even tougher on the interior. Offensively, Jimbo Fisher's squad is starting to show progress with Xavier Lee now the man under center. And Florida State's special teams have been arguably the best in the conference.

On the other side of the ball will be a very underrated Wake Forest team. After a Cinderella season that saw them claim an unlikely conference championship and a BCS bowl berth, the Deacons return the bulk of their offense from 2006 with two key exceptions - all-ACC offensive lineman Steve Vallos and top receiver Nate Morton. Even with that many players back in the fold, Wake Forest has underachieved a bit on offense due in part to the injury to quarterback Riley Skinner and an over abundance of turnovers (14 in five games). Skinner is now back to 100 percent health and has lead his team to two straight victories with the offense scoring 31 and 41 points, respectively, in those two games.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ba1814>[SIZE=+1]FSU at Wake Forest[/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#f9eeb5>Kickoff: 7:46 pm EST

TV: ESPN & ESPN HD

Replay: Sun Sports (Sun 7pm)

Radio: ISP Sports Network

Line: FSU by 5.5 points

Series record: 21-3-1 FSU

FSU-Wake Gameday Page

Stats Inc. preview
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Defense is another story. In addition to losing three of their starting four in the secondary, Wake had to replace team captain and All-ACC linebacker Jon Abbate. Making matters worse, junior linebacker Eric Berry, who was supposed to replace Abbate, was ruled academically ineligible before the start of the season. As a result, Wake's defense is not the juggernaut it was in 2006. That's especially true against the pass where opposing offenses are averaging about 250 yards game through the air and have racked up 10 touchdowns through five games.

While teams have posted some big numbers on the scoreboard against the Deacons, on paper their defensive statistics are above average (27th against the run and 31st against the pass). In addition Jim Grobe's club has has created 14 turnovers. If not for the offense and special teams turning it over so often, they might have a better record.

Both FSU and Wake Forest have one loss in the conference which means the loser will have a very hard time getting back in the race for the ACC Championship game. While Wake would still need Boston College, who they lost to in the season opener, to lose a couple times to have a shot, Florida State controls its own destiny with Clemson losing two conference games.

In order for the Seminoles to move to 5-1 and put themselves in prime position to make a run at the conference crown, they must do the following:

[SIZE=+1]5. Defense must play smart, not emotional[/SIZE]

The Florida State players haven't been shy expressing their desire for payback against Wake Forest, and for good reason. The Deacons took the 'Noles to the woodshed in their own backyard last year to the tune of 30-0. The humiliating setback was the worst home loss in the Bobby Bowden era. So you can bet every Seminole in Winston-Salem will be hyped up with the desire to exact revenge.

While being emotionally keyed up can sometimes give a team an advantage, especially on defense, it can be an disadvantage against Wake Forest. With misdirection on just about every play, the Deacon's offense is designed to take advantage of overzealous defenders. As a result, a seek and destroy mentality is not the best mindset when going up against Jim Grobe's club. Using emotion to give a player an extra burst to go where he "thinks" the ball is going, isn't going to work and is only going to get that player out of position. The key is playing disciplined and smart football where defenders stay in their lanes.

Will it happen? Probably not early. As much as Mickey Andrews will preach the importance of staying home and not biting on plays, you have to believe the defense will be a little hyped up early and will over-run some plays.

[SIZE=+1]4. Take advantage of Wake's weakness[/SIZE]

Wake Forest's pass defense numbers are somewhat respectable but that's mostly because they played a couple teams that don't have much of a passing game - Army and Maryland. It's somewhat forgivable that Boston College and Matt Ryan threw for over 400 yards against their defense, but Duke was able to throw for nearly 300 yards last week and had four passing touchdowns.

With Xavier Lee now at the helm, the passing game has begun to click for Florida State. Jim Grobe will have to think twice about having his defense crowd the line of scrimmage. If they leave Greg Carr one-on-one with a smaller cornerback he will get eaten alive. If Wake decides to roll a safety to Carr's side of the field, that should open things up for the running game and mid-range passes to Preston Parker and De'Cody I love sex. One of Wake's starting cornerbacks goes 5-foot-9, which should create a huge mismatch for either Carr (6-6) or I love sex (6-3).

Will it happen? Yes. With Jimbo Fisher calling the shots, you have to believe he will take full advantage of any defensive weaknesses. If Wake brings everybody up at the line of scrimmage, look for Xavier Lee and Greg Carr to have a big game.

[SIZE=+1]3. Win the turnover battle[/SIZE]

Florida State is coming off of its best game of the season in terms of turnover margin. The 'Noles forced three interceptions and one fumble against NC State but didn't commit a single turnover. If the margin is that large against Wake Forest, FSU will leave Winston-Salem with a 5-1 record.

The good news is that while FSU has been solid in this department (16th nationally in turnover margin), Wake Forest has had a hard time protecting the football. Where that is very evident is in the passing game where the Deacon quarterbacks have thrown 10 interceptions in five games. On the other hand, Wake Forest has been pretty good forcing turnovers picking up 14 this season.

Will it happen? It should. The Seminoles have committed just one turnover over the last two games and the secondary has really improved it's ability to pick off pass attempts.

[SIZE=+1]2. Cut down on penalties![/SIZE]

In case you missed it, Florida State is tied for last with Texas Tech for being the most penalized team in major college football. That's a dubious distinction that has really hurt the 'Noles on both sides of the football, and especially on offense. Against Colorado, Alabama and NC State, the offense probably would have posted another 7 to 10 points in each of those games had penalties been down to a reasonable level. FSU was good enough in those games to overcome the onslaught of penalties, but eventually it will cost them a game or two.

If this game is as close as everybody thinks, a key personal foul or holding call could easily make the difference. Florida State has worked hard this week with the goal of cutting down on penalties but the short week couldn't have helped.

Will it happen? FSU will probably do a little better job this week but look for Wake to be penalized less. With ACC officials working this game it's hard to imagine Wake not having a decided advantage in penalties.

[SIZE=+1]1. Keep the game close in the first half[/SIZE]

Over the past six meetings, Wake Forest's offensive production has taken a dramatic downturn in the second half when taking on Mickey Andrews' defense. The Deacons have averaged twice as many points in first half (15.0) than in the second half (7.8) and a lot of those second half points came late on the tail end of FSU blowouts. This disparity is a result of it taking a while for FSU to adjust to Wake's unique misdirection offense. There is every reason to expect that trend to continue.

As a result, if the game is close at halftime, Florida State should hold the advantage in the second half. After making the necessary adjustments in the locker room, you have to think the Seminole defense will more or less have Wake's offense figured out which should allow the offense to pull ahead.

In order for FSU keep the game close early, one or more of three things must occur - (1) The Seminole defense must make earlier adjustments, (2) the defense and special teams must force turnovers, or (3) the Seminole offense must be more productive to keep pace with Wake Forest on the scoreboard.

Will it happen? History says no. Outside of the opening drive against NC State, the Seminole offense has been notoriously slow this season. In fact, FSU is averaging just 6.6 points in the first half, compared to 16.6. in the second half. Meanwhile, Wake Forest's offense has always given FSU fits early. This season, they are averaging 13.2 points in the first half compared to just 8.7 over the final two quarters.

[SIZE=+1]Score prediction[/SIZE]

This is a tough one to call because there are a lot of variables that could go either way. What's hard to ignore is that Wake Forest is a team that usually get off to a quick start, both against FSU and in general, while FSU's offense is usually stuck in the mud in the first half. Unless that changes or the defense creates multiple turnovers, FSU may come up just a little short in its comeback attempt. Wake 27, FSU 24.

Shark--- I am riding FSU for 4 units -5.5..Lets hit for two in a row.. Navy game was fun game to watch:cheers:

SS, I am rooting for you bro, but if you win this wager on FSU, it will probably be in spite of their offense, but not because of it.

They are really bad offensively.

Bowden needs to call it quits once and for all..

Too much, Too little, Too late for FSU. I appologize to anyone that tailed me. I feel like I :crap_on_face: The game in general sucked on both sides. I'll make it up. Long season ahead.

What a disaster... If theres one guy i feel bad for its Antone Smith. This guy is a hell of a player and he cant get past the line of scrimmage unless a flag is thrown for holding. Wake made the half time adjustments, (i.e. run it north and south instead of trying to stretch our defense) and we didn't make any.... I guess Bobby thought that Lee avoiding pressure and chucking it deep was gonna work all game? Who knows, our offensive line that had seeemingly gotten better, digressed. Our defense got dominated in the 2nd half, and we couldnt captalize on turnovers. Swank made a clutch kick that ended up winning them the game, however, I dont believe we would have scored had he missed it, so it really didnt matter. By that point I was disgusted at FSU for being whatever the hell they are, and even more disgusted at myself for laying 3 units on them on the road.

Live and learn I suppose. I am going away to Gatlinburg for the weekend for a little R&R and ALOT of :cheers: I only have 2 plays on Saturday.

Tenn (-7) 5 units
S.C. (-6) 3 units

May also throw 3 units on a teaser from my Wed. night winnings but who knows, I really like LSU around -3 but need to find another to go along with it.

Back