Florida Gators offer Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss)

Probably a smokescreen. 4 years ago everyone was throwing around Gruden, Strong and Mullen and Foley went left field.

Just waiting for Harbaugh to get linked to every job

It's been reported since last night that Jim McElwain is the leading candidate for Florida

It's been reported since last night that Jim McElwain is the leading candidate for Florida

Well hopefully (at least for me) that means Freeze isn't leaving ...

As "good" a job Florida would be ... It's that whole catch 22 ... Go to Florida, they're expecting at least double digit wins every year or you're on the hot seat .... OR stay at Ole Miss and constantly be fighting the recruiting battle with LSU, Bama, & Auburn surrounding you and Instate w/ MSU ... And with a program that isn't ever consistently relevant for more than a few years

Sounds like freeze might be staying anyways ... Just working to get paid a little more chedda

The report on Mcelwain is so dumb. All it says that they know we talked to him so they are saying he's the leading candidate. It's from Pat Forde who's an idiot so don't believe that.

Freeze has been the name around the "insiders" for the past couple days. But I've said before don't believe anything until it's done. Last time, 2 hours before Muschamp was hired, the insiders all said stoops was locked up

I don't believe that report first of all. And like said, he is just leveraging. But I don't think for one second FLA would hire Freeze

In news that will surprise absolutely nobody, Hugh Freeze has begun talks with Ole Miss for a contract extension. A lot of coaches and agents are about to get paid

I don't believe that report first of all. And like said, he is just leveraging. But I don't think for one second FLA would hire Freeze

Freeze was absolutely on the short list. Sources on both sides have indicated as much. Freeze's extension will be announced tomorrow in all likelihood. Maybe Wednesday. It looks like it will be around $4.2 with a larger pool for assistants.

Came out that we will have a coach within 2 weeks. People are pointing to it being Stoops this time around. Like I've said I believe nothing until its all done just bringing the info over here.

The report on Mcelwain is so dumb. All it says that they know we talked to him so they are saying he's the leading candidate. It's from Pat Forde who's an idiot so don't believe that.

Freeze has been the name around the "insiders" for the past couple days. But I've said before don't believe anything until it's done. Last time, 2 hours before Muschamp was hired, the insiders all said stoops was locked up

Im not trying to piss you off, but you sound like a fan who wants the sexy hire from an SEC school more so than the non sexy hire from Colorado State.

Freeze was absolutely on the short list. Sources on both sides have indicated as much. Freeze's extension will be announced tomorrow in all likelihood. Maybe Wednesday. It looks like it will be around $4.2 with a larger pool for assistants.
Posturing for SEC coaches to get SEC money. I will never believe that Freeze was FLA's choice...never.

If It was, he would be there.

I guess I should qualify my "non sexy hire" to say I know where McElwain coached prior to CSU just so we eliminate the obvious comeback post.

Thing with Bob Stoops, at what point does he want to challenge himself again at another program? It all depends on the individual, some don't need a new challenge, but as a competitor do you think it can get stale for him at OU, or do you think he relishes in the challenge attempting to win more titles at OU and is thereby a Sooner for life?

He's certainly had big time chances to leave before and I always wonder the same thing? Is he really in it til he retires in Norman? Or when do the fans get that feeling like "hey we think we can do better" like sometimes happens when the big wins dry up? Big game Bob isn't exactly Big Game Bob like he used to be. Maybe Bob gets out before the day comes that he doesn't get to choose how he exits?

I do remember reading that he did not like coaching against his brother when Mark was DC at FSU. Didn't like coaching against Bo when at Nebraska in Big XII days (friends and Youngstown ties). So with Mark at Kentucky and UF having to play them every year, would that negatively effect his decision to jump to the Gators I wonder?

yes, it would. I don't see Bob going to a place where he faces his brother every year. I see the Big 12 as still the easier place in the long run to win as well, but I suppose that's debatable.

I guess I should qualify my "non sexy hire" to say I know where McElwain coached prior to CSU just so we eliminate the obvious comeback post.

I could see Florida not wanting another Saban guy, but McElwain at least has head coach experience

The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reported Monday night that the extension will raise Freeze's salary to $4 million per season. The source did not mention the length of the extension.
Freeze had been making $3 million per season for the Rebels.
Florida issued a statement Monday saying "we have made no job offers to anyone" after reports surfaced that Gators had contacted Freeze, a native of Oxford, Mississippi who also worked as an assistant at Ole Miss from 2005 to '07.
"The new number became $3 million last year," Bjork told the Daily Journal on Nev. 12. "We're at $3 million. So what's the new number (now)? Is it closer to 4? I don't know that 5 is the new norm yet," he said. "We're committed to playing and competing at the highest level."
Ole Miss (9-3, 5-3 SEC) led the nation in scoring defense (13.5 points per game) prior to upsetting No. 4 Mississippi State on Saturday
"It wasn't about us spoiling the year for them as much as reclaiming what we think is ours," Freeze said. "(Mississippi State) had a good season in a great league."

sounds like Ole Miss locked Freeze in ... I like him, so im happy about that

and of course they're going to posture and say the never offered him, he wasn't their top man, blah blah blah ... they'll say that about everyone until they get someone ... we see that with every program who's searching ... i think it was genuine interest by Florida ... Freeze may have had other motives ... $$$

:shake:

sounds like Ole Miss locked Freeze in ... I like him, so im happy about that

and of course they're going to posture and say the never offered him, he wasn't their top man, blah blah blah ... they'll say that about everyone until they get someone ... we see that with every program who's searching ... i think it was genuine interest by Florida ... Freeze may have had other motives ... $$$

if money was his motives, wouldn't he have gotten more at Florida? (honest question)

Posturing for SEC coaches to get SEC money. I will never believe that Freeze was FLA's choice...never.

If It was, he would be there.

I understand, but I don't think you have any support for your position apart from your belief that UF is more desirable for Freeze. There is plenty of evidence indicating that the was serious interest. Sexton is going to do his thing, but sources on both sides of the aisle have mentioned Freeze from the beginning. Is McElwain a better hire than Freeze? If so, what if they miss on him? At what point does it become clear that they have moved on to their second tier?

if money was his motives, wouldn't he have gotten more at Florida? (honest question)

Not necessarily. If I'm UF I wouldn't have offered Freeze more than $4 mil base. I would have tried to get him at a bargain and sold our advantages. UF should be able to do better than Freeze if they are in the $5 mil range.

well yea ... i just meant leverage wise to get more from Ole Miss ... Ole Miss bumped him a million a year just knowing other schools were interested ... not saying they wouldn't have anyways, but he couldn't tell Ole Miss he wasn't considering other offers until they gave him a new contract

I understand, but I don't think you have any support for your position apart from your belief that UF is more desirable for Freeze. There is plenty of evidence indicating that the was serious interest. Sexton is going to do his thing, but sources on both sides of the aisle have mentioned Freeze from the beginning. Is McElwain a better hire than Freeze? If so, what if they miss on him? At what point does it become clear that they have moved on to their second tier?
I think there is a ton of fluff in reporting today...just look at what was reported about the Saints on Sunday...."Reporters" just say with they want now and say "sources"...

It happens in the SEC a ton where a BS story comes out and the coach uses it to leverage extension...Saban has done it, Les Miles and on and on.

I, for one, still think FLA is on their 1st tier. They knew Muschamp was going to be gone. It is a huge job and I think they just want the right guy, who is likely still coaching a football team right now.

Im not trying to piss you off, but you sound like a fan who wants the sexy hire from an SEC school more so than the non sexy hire from Colorado State.

Not really. I haven't posted it in this thread but I want McElwain or Hudspeth the most. Im not saying McElwain isn't on top of the list but the report where it says he was from Pat Forde saying that Floirda has talked to McElwain. Just because you talk to a guy doesn't mean hes on the top.

Stoops isn't going anywhere right now. Just doesn't make sense. His kids are in high school and have grown up in Oklahoma, he just finished building a huge house also. Maybe in a few years he will leave, but not right now.
Even though it's been a bad year for him, OU still has more momentum on the recruiting trail now than it has the last 5 years. And ya, I think having to coach against mark is a turn off for him too.

In this day and age, the only candidate who is offered is the one who accepts. Not to say that other candidates couldn't have had the job, just no school will officially offer until the answer is already known

In this day and age, the only candidate who is offered is the one who accepts. Not to say that other candidates couldn't have had the job, just no school will officially offer until the answer is already known

100% True. You never know in this day and age. Once they hire someone, they all come out and say he was our #1, everything else was rumors blah blah blah

I think McElwain will be a good hire. I had sort of hoped he'd stay out west until Saban hangs it up. If he truly is next UF coach, unlikely we'll see him at Alabama unless he's on the visitor's sideline

The Ole Ball Coach feels like UF has been abused and let down by the past administration and as it's real father it hurts him to see his children suffer. He has decided to leave South Carolina and come back to Florida and make it what it once used to be...a fucking Fun N' Gun offense and powerhouse. C'mon Steve, you know you want it!!!!!

OK, so I made it up. Would make a great story though :)

Completely agree. This isn't like interviewing for middle management at Costco.

How creepy is the Denver media. Taking a picture of Foley and McElwain looking out the window

B349V5lCEAEFRh_.jpg:large

Couple things floating around ...

https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/539955215953580033 <--- The person who handles contracts for UF is with Foley in CO.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/colorado_state_recruit_reporte.html <--- Recruit told McElwain taking job

As usual, just rumors and hearsay at this point, but a lot of smoke around this.

You can't discount the idea that other coaches that want these recruits sometimes spread misinformation to get ahead in the recruiting battle...

Either way, "reporting" is a dying art with social media. Everybody wants the first scoop and people will do whatever it takes (including outright lies) to sell a story.

You can't discount the idea that other coaches that want these recruits sometimes spread misinformation to get ahead in the recruiting battle...

Either way, "reporting" is a dying art with social media. Everybody wants the first scoop and people will do whatever it takes (including outright lies) to sell a story.

Agree with all that P.

This one might have legs only cause I don't think Foley would fly there unless they talked before today. Anyway, as a fan, I'd be good with McElwain.

One thing is for sure...the social media guys are straight up going creeper tonight.

Wow at this guy ---> https://twitter.com/Presto89/status/539994044059746304

love sources

which is why i never believed the initial

I won't argue with the reliability of when reports use the term "sources" ... But I do believe there were feelers with coach freeze's agent at a minimum ... And naturally between agent and freeze (Ur quoted tweet says freeze or ole miss) ... But for the reported offer number to come out around 4-4.2 and ole miss pays 4.5 million, that would put him as the #7 highest paid coach behind Bama, mich st, okla, tamu, Texas, Ohio st ... I think the soft offer was put out there to see if freeze wanted to go to Florida, his crew let it be known to the ole miss inside ... leveraged it, got paid within 24 hours and it was on to the remaining search for Florida ...

none of this really matters ... Won't be freeze, "SOURCES" now saying McElwain has been meeting with Florida ...

also hearing "SOURCES" ... If Michigan offers, Les is gone ...

I won't argue with the reliability of when reports use the term "sources" ... But I do believe there were feelers with coach freeze's agent at a minimum ... And naturally between agent and freeze (Ur quoted tweet says freeze or ole miss) ... But for the reported offer number to come out around 4-4.2 and ole miss pays 4.5 million, that would put him as the #7 highest paid coach behind Bama, mich st, okla, tamu, Texas, Ohio st ... I think the soft offer was put out there to see if freeze wanted to go to Florida, his crew let it be known to the ole miss inside ... leveraged it, got paid within 24 hours and it was on to the remaining search for Florida ...

none of this really matters ... Won't be freeze, "SOURCES" now saying McElwain has been meeting with Florida ...

also hearing "SOURCES" ... If Michigan offers, Les is gone ...

bye

love sources

which is why i never believed the initial

Wait...so you didn't believe the multiple anonymous sources who independently claimed that there was mutual interest between Freeze and UF, but you believe the anonymous source who says that there wasn't? Got it.

Back