Florida Atlantic talking smack !

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Schnellenberger smacks the Longhorns' toughness
August 13, 2008 1:20 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
Interesting comments are coming from Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger, who apparently thinks his Owls might match up better with Texas than the Las Vegas oddsmakers do. The Owls are more than a three-touchdown underdog in the Aug. 30 opener for both teams.
Schellenberger told the Florida Atlantic Unversity Press, his school's student newspaper, that his team can hold its own with Texas in the trenches.
The veteran coach even called out the Longhorns for being more talented than physical.
The Owls return eight defensive starters from last season's 8-5 team that beat Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl. He's counting on another big effort in Austin, even though most football observers don't give his team much hope of winning there.

"My defense will get to a point where they will be mean, nasty and onery (expletive) and that's what you need for Texas," Schnellenberger said. "Texas will move the ball with tit-for-tat, screens and options, but we'll make them pay a price whenever they catch one of those dinky passes. We'll put three hats on them and make them not want to get up, that's the way to beat Texas."

Somewhere, I bet a Texas graduate assistant coach is taking note of all of these words. And something tells me that the Longhorns will probably be made aware of them over the next few days.

Texas Longhorns, Howard Schnellenberger, Florida Atlantic Owls
Read comments or leave a comment

I love it. Its fuckin Florida Atlantic. Not Oklahoma. What does that team have to lose by saying they can compete with a ranked team?

Shnellenberger is now saying he was misquoted and that he never questioned Texas' toughness.

Too late. It's on the bulletin board.

Good Lord, you've got to keep comments like that inside the program. And you also need to realize you're FLORIDA FREAKIN ATLANTIC!

I'm not really sure if the Texas players are going to be motivated at all by this, because they know they play at Texas and they know they are going against players that play at FAU. I think they just laugh it off like a bad Jay Leno joke.

Howard somehow has Texas confused with Minnesota. Brewster was a Texas coach so I guess I can see how he got that messed up.

I'm not really sure if the Texas players are going to be motivated at all by this, because they know they play at Texas and they know they are going against players that play at FAU. I think they just laugh it off like a bad Jay Leno joke.

I'd say I'd agree with you except last year they played an average Sun Belt team in Arky St and were pushed all the way.

No way were they going to take the Sun Belt champ lightly this year and this just ensures it.

I think that Mack and especially Muschamp will use the game to set the tone for the year. I expect an ass-whooping like Texas is used to doing every opener.

35+ pts.

They also just announced that VY's jersey will be retired at the game and that should provide a little extra motivation for everyone. He still has teammates on the team and the younger kids all looked up to him.

^^^^agree as well...and Schnellenberger is right on the money too

Hmmm. Texas is 1-1 against tOSU, won at Columbus at night, and put a couple of nice hits on the Bucks in the process (remember Charles vs. AJ Hawk and Ced Griffin vs. your bobbling TE?).

And in that stretch how many national championships did tOSU win? And how many did Texas win?

One of the keys in 2005 was an Auburn DC and I think that'll be one of the difference this year too.

I love Schnellenberger! I wish my Aztecs had him as a head coach. Too bad he's now into starting programs from scratch...the man is a legend.

:popcorn:

Hmmm. Texas is 1-1 against tOSU, won at Columbus at night, and put a couple of nice hits on the Bucks in the process (remember Charles vs. AJ Hawk and Ced Griffin vs. your bobbling TE?).

And in that stretch how many national championships did tOSU win? And how many did Texas win?
quote]

whoa buddy those weren't meant to be fightin words haha. i was just talking about last year's horns...i think that's what their problem was from the games i saw they seemed sort of soft. texas-usc was one of the biggest wins i've ever had...i got absolutely no problem with them (aside of course from that brutal loss suffered to them...thanks for bringing that up)

I agree with ya here. Doesn't matter how close somebody was last year or anything else because there isn't a recruit at Texas that doesn't think he's a better than every player on FAU's roster.

I agree with ya here. Doesn't matter how close somebody was last year or anything else because there isn't a recruit at Texas that doesn't think he's a better than every player on FAU's roster.

And there's probably not a recruit at Texas that wouldn't start on FAU's roster...

Back