Flip out in Detroit

Saunders won't return as coach (ESPN)

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- The Detroit Pistons say Flip Saunders will not be back as coach next season.

"Decisions like this are difficult to make," team president Joe Dumars said on the team's Web site. "However, at this time, I feel it is necessary to make a change."

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3423956

the NBA is becoming more and more like the NFL in terms of coaching. How in the hell has Jerry Sloan lasted this long.

Simmons said in his article yesterday that he expects Detroit to move Sheed, and/or Prince.

I liked Flip when he was in Minnesota, and when he was in Detroit....nice guy that just can't seem to get over the hump.

Regardless Detroit isn't gettin much younger besides Maxiel, and Stuckey...and I think drafting smart this year is key.

the pistons are done

their window is shut

they had a nice run as the atlanta braves of the nba, but its back to square one now (maybe square 2)...

Flip out is great, but curious who they'll get.......Sheed NEEDS to be gone...he played like a lazy Radmanovic in the Boston series...hoisting 3's and playing shitty D.

Agent Zero is opting out of his contract as well.

Agent Zero to Miami?

no

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gilbert told me that after looking at his contract today, he actually needs to file paperwork for opting out by June 20th, 10 days before the June 30th deadline. Free agency opens July 1. Arenas said he still plans on doing so as soon as late next week. He said he'll have a lawyer look it all over and make sure everything is tight. Washington Post

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I asked Gilbert "why wait" at all and he responded with: "Just in case anything happens, I'll be covered." Translation: If the guy hurts the knee or gets hit by a bus, he'll still get $12.8 million next year. Washington Post[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
He'll be traveling in China so other teams interested in making a play had better have a good cell phone signal. It all adds up to the obvious: Arenas will be in a Wiz uniform next season. The only questions involve the number of years and the size of the deal. Arenas does want Antawn taken care of and I see that happening as well. Washington Post
[/FONT]

I can't believe the standard coaches are held to these days, my god. Dantoni, Avery, and Flip, all aren't even able to keep their damn jobs? 3 coaches of the year? Tough fucking business.

I can't believe the standard coaches are held to these days, my god. Dantoni, Avery, and Flip, all aren't even able to keep their damn jobs? 3 coaches of the year? Tough fucking business.

I agree, Killa. Management is pressured into making brash decisions to please the fanbase. It's a lack of patience nowadays.

I agree, Killa. Management is pressured into making brash decisions to please the fanbase. It's a lack of patience nowadays.

in terms of Flip he had his chance. 3 Eastern Finals in a row and he couldn't break through. Would you really let him go at it again?

Michael Curry...
Exactly. They have been grooming him.

I expected him gone, mostly because he would be a lame duck next year.

As far as the starters go. Rasheed is a hot commodity to trade because he has an expiring contract.

As far as Rip goes Frito, I would hate to see it but with Stuckey's rapid improvement he needs to be in the game 30+ minutes.

And the opportunity isn't shut guys. Thats why what Joe has done the past few years has been huge in regards to youth movement.

A rumor I have heard is Elton Brand in some sort of package deal.

After failing to reach the NBA Finals three consecutive seasons, the Detroit Pistons have decided to fire head coach Flip Saunders. A press conference is expected this week to name Michael Curry as Saunders' replacement.

in terms of Flip he had his chance. 3 Eastern Finals in a row and he couldn't break through. Would you really let him go at it again?

Different sport, same situation: Andy Reid.

How long would Flip had lasted if Detroit would have been ousted in the first or second round of the playoffs... probably three seasons. Flip would have broken through in a few years, but now it's back to the drawing board for Detroit. We will see what happens.

Read this last night, so was suprised today.

Here's some news, that if true, will be surprising to many Pistons fans.
June 2, Detroit News: Saunders met briefly with Pistons president Joe Dumars on Saturday and all indications are that he was told he will be back. Understand that with the Pistons, a coach's job security can change in an instant, but as of today, the plan is for Saunders to finish out the final year of his contract. He's already working on next season. He will supervise a workout of draft candidates at the practice facility Wednesday.

McCosky goes on to list what Joe Dumars might do over the summer in order to improve the Pistons.

JOE D is smarter than that -he won't get rid of our most consistent points

The whole reason i have him getting rid of Rip is b/c Joe is smart. No way you can let the rich man's d wade sit on the pine. He's gotta play 34+ a night.

Can Stuckey not play the 1?? Chauncey's days might be getting numbered.
Well, I otally agree there, although he showed me much heart the latter part of that series. The problem is he just began the new contract. I think any of those guys can be interchangeable.

Just depends on a package I would think brewer. I doubt it. They would have to get another legit small forward in return. he had a great playoffs. Not that he got tired against Boston but they had an excellent gameplan to stymie him and keep him on perimeter.

Back