Five Quick Picks Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
New York Mets vs. Atlanta Braves

Handicapper Analysis

Met starter Carlos Carrasco's strong recent form illustrates his reliability in any given outing.

In his last seven starts, he allowed more than two runs a single time.

While the one exception came against Atlanta -- he allowed three runs in six innings -- he had shut out the Braves over eight innings in May.

As evident in his team's 8-1 record in his starts against a division rival, Carrasco is most competitive against NL East teams.

He'll need to be particularly solid tonight because Atlanta starts Spencer Strider today.

Strider allowed many runs in his last start, which came against the Mets, but his 1.62 FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) in that outing reflects how well he actually performed.

Best Bet: Under 8 at -105 (FanDuel)

Philadelphia Phillies vs. Cincinnati Reds

Handicapper Analysis

Cincinnati's ballpark is historically known as a very hitters-friendly one, which is unfavorable to pitchers.

Philly starter Noah Syndergaard, however, thrives in Cincinnati.

In his career, he is 2-0 with a 1.42 ERA in two starts in the Reds' venue.

His strong history in Cincinnati is consistent with his superb form in general as of late.

He has yielded a sub-three FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) in each of his last three starts.

Conversely, Red starter Mike Minor continues to be helpless.

Minor has collected the loss in seven of his last nine starts due to, among other things, his tendency to allow home runs.

Best Bet: Phillies RL at -111 with FanDuel

Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Milwaukee Brewers

Handicapper Analysis

Brewer starter Freddy Peralta is unreliable at this point of the season because, since returning from injury, his velocity and spin rate have been wildly unsteady.

But even if he were in tip-top shape, the Dodgers rank fourth in slugging against his favorite pitches from righties.

On the other side, Milwaukee matches up poorly with Dodger starter Julio Urias.

Urias is a lefty, and the Brewers are not built to succeed against left-handed pitching.

More specifically, they rank 23rdin slugging against Urias' favorite pitches from lefties.

Plus, Urias is a superb 3-0 with a 1.42 ERA in his career in Milwaukee.

Best Bet: Dodgers RL at +100 with FanDuel

Oakland Athletics vs. Texas Rangers

Handicapper Analysis

This is a meeting in which two capable pitchers match up terrifically against their opponent.

The Rangers rank 28thin slugging against Athletic starter James Kaprielian's favorite pitches from righties.

In a similar vein, Oakland ranks 29thin slugging against Ranger starter Glenn Otto's favorite pitches from righties.

While Otto allowed a lot of runs in his last start against Texas, his strong FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) in that outing and the fact that he did a great job of inducing soft contact in that start indicate that one should rely on him to thrive against this opponent.

Best Bet: Under 8.5 at -118 with FanDuel

Kansas City Royals vs. Minnesota Twins

Handicapper Analysis

Royal starter Kris Bubic enjoys strong form at the moment.

After allowing two runs in six innings against Boston, he held the White Sox to one earned run in 5.2 innings.

Minnesota is just the team that he wants to face in order to prolong his positive streak of starts because the Twins rank 20thin slugging against his favorite pitches from lefties.

Twin starter Joe Ryan will keep this game low-scoring.

He's enjoyed competing against the Royals this season.

In 11.2 innings against them, he's allowed all of one run.

Plus, he reliably bounces back at home after suffering a loss in his previous start -- just ask the Guardians, on two occasions and Detroit.

Best Bet: Under 8.5 at -104 with FanDuel

Interesting to see what happens in ATL tonight. Strider was saying how lucky the Mets were in that last meeting. Put up or shut up tonight.

Interesting to see what happens in ATL tonight. Strider was saying how lucky the Mets were in that last meeting. Put up or shut up tonight.

I don’t think Strider has looked particularly great since the asb, he did dominate Phils a couple times tho. that line confusing as shit to me, I played Mets but feel like I’m being set up. lol

I don’t really care what the analytics say, when a dude gives up 6 hits, 2 walks, 4 runs in less than 3 innings im not gonna spin it that he actually pitched well, even if he did catch a bad break or 2, you still gotta be able to limit things and go deeper than 2.2 innings, that shit kills your pen!!

Not saying strider won’t be better tonight, odds are he will be, still wouldn’t call that last start pitching well!!

Still think that line crazy, and it has actually went up from the open!! I just know I’m losing that bet! Lmao. Don’t care, have to play it anyways.

Back