Five Casual Picks Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Minnesota Twins vs. Cleveland Guardians

Handicapper Analysis

Twin starter Chris Archer is in a terrible spot today.

In his career, he is 0-4 with a 6.35 ERA in four starts in Cleveland.

However, Cleveland starter Shane Bieber will also struggle today.

Bieber throws, primarily, a fastball and slider.

His worst games have come against teams who hit these pitches well from righties.

Minnesota will hit him hard because it ranks fourth in slugging against both pitches combined from righties.

While Bieber's previous start against the Twins went well on the surface, his 4.96 FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) reflects how poorly he actually performed.

Best Bet: Over 8.5 at -114 with FanDuel

Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago Cubs

Handicapper Analysis

Cincinnati is filled with losing pitchers, but today's Red starter, Graham Ashcraft, isn't one of them.

Ashcraft is by far his team's most profitable pitcher as the Reds are yielding +8.15 units in his starts.

In his starts, the Reds have been perfect on the road (3-0) and perfect as underdogs (4-0).

They'll give the young Red righty plenty of support today because they are going up against Kyle Hendricks.

Hendricks is repeatedly awful against the Reds.

In his last three starts against them, dating back to last year, he yielded an FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) of 13.53, 5.84, and 8.71.

Best Bet: Reds ML at +106 with FanDuel

Atlanta Braves vs. Philadelphia Phillies

Handicapper Analysis

Today's Brave starter, Ian Anderson, is a reliable force in Philadelphia's ballpark.

In his venue, he has allowed a combined total of one run in 12 career innings.

Moreover, Philly batters have a weak track record against him.

JT Realmuto, for example, is 1-for-5 when facing Anderson.

Aaron Nola, for Philadelphia, will help keep this game low-scoring.

After a rough start to the season, he has returned to being the dominant pitcher that one thinks of him as.

He has yielded an FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) below 1.70 in each of his last four starts.

Best Bet: Under 8.5 at -108 with FanDuel

New York Yankees vs. Houston Astros

Handicapper Analysis

New York starts Luis Severino today.

Severino has demonstrated a worrisome tendency to allow home runs.

He's allowed at least one homer in each of his last three games.

During this three-game span, he allowed a combined total of four home runs.

This tendency favors his opposing lineup especially today because the Astros already rank third in home runs per game.

Moreover, they rank second in slugging against Severino's favorite pitches, and they are likewise solid against high-velocity fastballs, which is what Severino most often throws.

The Yankees, though, will also pile up a lot of runs because they rank second in slugging against Astro starter Luis Garcia's favorite pitches combined from righties.

Best Bet: Over 8 at -110 with FanDuel

Milwaukee Brewers vs. Pittsburgh Pirates

Handicapper Analysis

Milwaukee shows great team form today as it's enjoying a four-game win streak.

The Brewers are winning at home just as they're winning on the road.

Like his team in general, Brewer starter Adrian Houser is in a positive rhythm.

In his last three starts, he yielded a 2.49 FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding), a 3.46 FIP, and a 2.63 FIP.

His Pirate counterpart promises to struggle today because Milwaukee's lineup matches up superbly against him given the pitches that he prefers to throw.

Primarily, Brubaker pitches a fastball and slider.

Milwaukee ranks first in slugging against these pitches combined from righties.

Best Bet: Brewers RL at +125 (FanDuel)

im not a fan of the "casual" picks!! we take this too seriously to be casual!!! lol

like the reds play, feels similar to pirates yesterday where i think wrong team favored. unless Hendricks is facing cards he just a guy. I think Ashcraft could be special..

yanks fucked things up putting sears in middle the As series and pushing everyone back a day, i was waiting all series to play Sevi k prop vs A's (luckily cashed taillon anyways :) ) so now Sevi is having to face stros for second straight start which i hate..

im shocked to hear milw ranks 1st in slugging against anything!!

im not a fan of the "casual" picks!! we take this too seriously to be casual!!! lol

like the reds play, feels similar to pirates yesterday where i think wrong team favored. unless Hendricks is facing cards he just a guy. I think Ashcraft could be special..

yanks fucked things up putting sears in middle the As series and pushing everyone back a day, i was waiting all series to play Sevi k prop vs A's (luckily cashed taillon anyways :) ) so now Sevi is having to face stros for second straight start which i hate..

im shocked to hear milw ranks 1st in slugging against anything!!
The casual is supposed to refer to my writing style

Back