Five Casual Picks Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Boston Red Sox vs. Los Angeles Angels

Handicapper Analysis

The Angels are favored tonight, and I find this ridiculous for two reasons.

One, the Angels can't figure out how to win right now.

Team rhythm is important because it permeates a team's effort in a given game.

The Angels are impossible to back because they are suffering a 14-game losing streak.

Two, they are favored because Shohei Ohtani enjoys strong public perception.

But Boston matches up excellently against him, ranking fifth in slugging against his favorite pitches from righties.

Red Sox starter Nick Pivetta, coming off a pair of solid starts, will perpetuate the misery of L.A.'s lineup.

Best Bet: Red Sox ML at +110 (FanDuel)

Baltimore Orioles vs. Kansas City Royals

Handicapper Analysis

Baltimore starter Jordan Lylesis coming off two consecutive starts in which he performed well but had nothing to show for it.

His high ERA in each start, which is a product of the unfortunately high opposing BABIP (batting average of balls in play) masks a strong FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding).

Today presents a great chance for him to succeed because he enjoys a 2.84 ERA in two career starts in Kansas City.

Kansas City starts Kris Bubic who is coming off a rare positive start.

He has yet to pitch well in consecutive starts this season.

Bubic merits pessimism because he still shows a marked tendency to yield hard contact at a high rate even against lineups that couldn't match up worse against him.

Best Bet: Orioles ML at -104 with FanDuel

New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins

Handicapper Analysis

Yankee starter Gerrit Cole is a model of consistency.

He has yielded a sub-three FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) in eight straight starts.

Cole is a particularly strong candidate to succeed in Minnesota because, in his career in the Twins' venue, he is 2-0 with a 1.38 ERA.

Minnesota counters with Dylan Bundy who Yankee batters are already familiar with because he used to pitch in their division as a member of Baltimore.

New York matches excellently against Bundy, ranking first in slugging against his favorite pitches -- the fastball, changeup, slider, and sinker -- from righties.

Best Bet: Yankees RL (-1.5) at -122 with FanDuel

Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Atlanta Braves

Atlanta is red-hot right now, having won seven games in a row.

Their vastly higher slugging rate in June reflects their ability to adjust to life without former Brave star Freddie Freeman in the lineup.

Moreover, Ronald Acuna is sizzling.

It won't even take too much effort from Atlanta's lineup, going against winless Pirate starter JT Brubaker, since Max Fried is on the mound.

Fried has allowed a combined total of three earned runs in his last three starts.

He promises to succeed against a Pirate lineup that hasn't scored more than three runs in any of its last four games.

Best Bet: Braves RL (-1.5) at -134 with FanDuel

Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Chicago White Sox

Handicapper Analysis

The Dodgers start a lefty in Tyler Anderson whose record is inflated by the soft competition that he's faced.

He has rarely faced teams that are strong against left-handed pitching.

His biggest test, in this respect, so far was a Philadelphia team that amassed seven earned runs with him on the mound.

The White Sox will succeed today because they rank second in slugging against lefties and fourth in slugging against Anderson's favorite pitches from righties.

They counter with Dylan Cease who by various statistical measures is enjoying the best season of his career.

Dodger batters rank below-average against Cease's favorite from pitches, thus posing the sort of soft matchup that Cease has repeatedly proven equipped to master.

Best Bet: White Sox ML at -102 (FanDuel)

I was happy to see Red Sox as dogs tonight. Havnt got to fade laa since game 1 of series cause they priced the last 2 much better (as in correct). I’ve never been a trend guy but I think baseball the sport you most want to ride streaks (good or bad), other sports I’m good with the “due theory” even if I don’t necessarily subscribe. Baseball I say ya either ride the streak or get out the way until they break it! These things can last 4ever (as laa proving!), you can only win once going against it but risk losing a bunch of times trying to be slick! I don’t always have to be smartest guy in the room, I say ride them till the wheels fall off!! After they break the steak (again, good or bad) then you can jump on the streaking team just not till it broken! When ya can get plus money riding the streak even better!!! It loses so be it, I havnt bet them all but I’ve gotten me several W’s during these 14 losses! (Damn, it really up to 14? That one the longer ones I remember in some time!!!).,

I was enjoying fading Cole quite a bit last season after the sticky memo and beginning this year but then he started busting my head. Lol. No more!

Brubaker hasn’t won a game since last August I think what I saw last time I capped him and only has 2 wins since early May, last year! lol. That not good. I liked him 1st time I saw him pitch but clearly he has issues! Obviously it not easy to win games with pirates but you would expect a good pitcher to have at least a slightly better win percentage than the team does, not worse!

I don’t trust Cease, I hate pitchers who walk a ton of guys even if his swinging strike and k rate is elite! This Mfer has 13 walks in last 14.2 innings. For lack of better word that SUCKS! It a bummer cause I wanted to back cws also. I played Ff team total over 1.5 instead. Hopefully they score some runs and Cease is good!

Think I posted enough in here to live up to the “motormouth” tag you gave me? Maybe If some you Mfers would contribute more to conversations I could talk less!!! Lol

Back