Five Casual Picks Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Texas Rangers vs. Boston Red Sox

Handicapper Analysis

Glenn Otto, today's Ranger starter, is just the pitcher to stem Texas' current losing streak.

The Rangers have won the last four games in which he's started.

His strong form, evident in his recent tendency to allow two runs or fewer, contributes to this trend.

Specifically, he's allowed two runs or fewer in four of his last five starts.

He'll also get plenty of run support tonight since his team's lineup goes up against Boston's Rich Hill.

The Rangers rank second in slugging against Hill's favorite pitches, the fastball and curveball, from lefties.

Best Bet: Rangers ML at +140 with FanDuel

Baltimore Orioles vs. Cleveland Guardians

Handicapper Analysis

Baltimore starter Kyle Bradish might seem unreliable given his high ERA.

But observe that Bradish's poor starts, including the three in which he yielded an ERA of over 10, have come almost exclusively against division rivals, the teams that are most familiar with him.

Most recently, he thrived at Cincinnati, Texas, and even Houston.

His outlook tonight is strong because Cleveland is not a division rival and the Guardians own a mediocre slugging rate against his favorite pitches from righties.

Meanwhile, Cleveland's Shane Bieber will keep this game low-scoring.

He has allowed two runs or fewer in each of his last six starts.

Best Bet: Under 7.5 at -118 with FanDuel

Los Angeles Dodgers vs. New York Mets

Handicapper Analysis

The Mets are already in a bit of a slump right now.

They've failed to exceed three runs in any of their past four games.

They're primed to struggle especially tonight since Clayton Kershaw is in town.

Today's Dodger starter loves pitching in Citi Field.

In the Mets' venue, he is 4-0 with a 1.85 ERA in seven career starts.

His counterpart, Chris Bassitt, does not share this positive history against his opponent today.

While, given the small data sample from which this stat derives, his 5.25 career ERA against the Dodgers isn't by itself damning, the Dodgers deserve optimism today because they rank first by far against his favorite pitches from righties.

Best Bet: Dodgers RL at +115 with FanDuel

Colorado Rockies vs. Atlanta Braves

Handicapper Analysis

Colorado will score very little in this game because it has to contend with Brave starter Spencer Strider.

Strider repeatedly proves reliable. Most recently, he has allowed one earned run in each of his past three starts.

The Rockies already struggle to hit outside of their notoriously hitters-friendly ballpark.

Against Strider's favorite pitches, specifically, they slug .316 outside of Denver.

Chad Kuhl, today's starter for Colorado, will keep his team competitive by limiting Atlanta's scoring output.

Historically, Atlanta is his favorite opponent.

His career ERA in three starts against the Braves is 1.59.

Plus, nearly all of the Brave players with strong track records against him are either injured, in the minors, or out of shape.

Best Bet: Under 8 at -105 with FanDuel

Milwaukee Brewers vs Arizona Diamondbacks

Handicapper Analysis

Brewer starter Brandon Woodruff is not one of many pitchers who struggle with Arizona's uniquely dry climate.

So we are allowed to like Woodruff today, and I think we should.

Milwaukee has won the last four games in which he started.

His good form, though, extends beyond this four-game span.

He has allowed two earned runs or fewer in seven of his past eight starts.

Meanwhile, Brewer batters are also doing a good job, lately.

They've scored six runs or more in four of their past five contests.

In addition to presenting strong form, they merit optimism tonight because they match up well against Arizona starter Merrill Kelly.

They rank fourth in slugging against his favorite pitches from righties.

Best Bet: Brewers RL at +126 with FanDuel

im shocked you found 5 plays on this card (and you dont bet props!)..

woodruff def not on my autofade or stay away in chase field list but he has had mixed results when pitching there. i dunno, i like kelly with the plus money as he limits hr's and milw needs those to score.. plus zona offense been on a tear, in fairness milw lineup has been scoring more of late also. heck, just talking bout maybe there a pretty good case to play o7.5 which a really low total for this park!!

i love bradish, his stuff is way better than his surface numbers suggest! he totally blanked the stros for 8 innings last time out, i recall way back at beginning the year he was struggling with everyone, cards got a chance to face him and i was sure they were gonna knock him around, he proceeded to dominate them while i was left watching and wondering why a guy with that stuff numbers were so bad!! he seems to have figured things out much more lately,, this be a tough test but i fully expect him to keep Os in it as most their starters have done lately!! great price to back o's also.

i really didnt look deeply into rangers/sox but now that you mention that a great price to back rangers, fade hill!! i dunno how much i trust otto vs red sox so kinda lean over.. gl tonight

Back