First Quarterback Drafted Prop Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NFL Upside Justifies Investment in 'First QB Drafted‘ Prop

The NFL draft begins on April 26, 2018. This year’s edition could see more quarterbacks being taken early than last year’s. With the Cleveland Browns drafting first, they’ll likely determine which one gets drafted first. Former Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen looks promising.

NFL Pick: Josh Allen +280

(BOVADA)
Sam Darnold EVEN
Josh Allen +280
Baker Mayfield +350
Josh Rosen +350

If deciding which quarterback will get drafted first were simply a matter of picking the one with the best career statistics, then we would all be billionaires. But NFL scouts aren't interested in rewarding a player because he played well in some college games, they want a quarterback who will succeed in the NFL.

So I am eliminating Mayfield as a possibility because scouts tend to obsess over the 'looks' of a quarterback and Mayfield is too short to have the classic look of an NFL-ready quarterback. His reputation--created by his history of embarrassing on- and off-the-field incidents--can only hurt his draft stock.

So that leaves three candidates: Allen, Darnold and Rosen. I like Darnold more than Rosen.

For starters, Rosen has explicitly said that he does not want to play in Cleveland. But Darnold is willing.

For all of Rosen’s reliability as a passer, he has been more mistake-prone on the road. In 2017, he threw 8 picks on the road, compared to 2 at home. Half of an NFL team's games are on the road. Will Rosen be able to avoid turning the ball over too frequently in those eight games?

Another factor is experience. Teams aren’t looking to draft a player based on how he will perform in one season. They are looking for a long-term solution, one that the Browns are desperate for at quarterback because it is hard to win (the Browns went 0-16 in 2017) when your quarterback only completes 53% of his passes and turns the ball over 28 times. So Rosen is more polished and more likely to succeed than Darnold in 2018. But he has also had more opportunities to become polished because he has thrown 324 more collegiate passes than Darnold. Darnold is really young. He only played two seasons at USC. Acquired veteran Tyrod Taylor would presumably start while Darnold takes the time to develop.

The final factor is the "it“ factor. Teams are not simply looking for solid mechanics and decision-making because those things can be improved. Mechanics and decision-making aren’t inherent qualities like height or speed. Green Bay’s superstar Aaron Rodgers is a classic example of a quarterback who altered his mechanics, now holding his ball much lower in order to generate a smoother arm motion. Another legend Peyton Manning is famous for improving his decision-making in order to throw vastly fewer interceptions. While the Browns can assume that they can polish the young Darnold, they will already have a playmaker who, for instance against UCLA, displayed his ridiculous ability to make throws into tight windows while escaping the pocket. When he does leave the pocket, he is more likely to create a larger gain. This mobility is an important asset to a Cleveland quarterback because the Browns’ pass protection ranked in the bottom-ten last season. It also adds more excitement to a team which sorely lacks playmakers.

Rosen is more NFL-ready, sure, but Darnold possesses more upside. He’s a better long-term investment for the Browns (or any other team).

Finally, I like Allen even more than Darnold because he possesses even more upside. Yes, his statistics look terrible for a potential top pick. But one can easily chalk that up to the poor protection from his offensive linemen, the drops and poor route-running of poor wide receivers--in sum, he was a one-man show. Allen had the strongest combine of the bunch, achieving a 4.75 40 yard dash, showing off his arm strength in the throwing drills and his leg strength in the jumps (legs are important both for running and passing) and his athleticism in the cone drill. More than the other quarterbacks, he looks the part of a successful NFL quarterback with his build and, with his physical tools, acts the part as well. And we get him at an underdog price.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did anyone doubt my selection :) Gotta go with my man!

But seriously, we know I am not a homer. Gone against my teams and my guys plenty of times...almost too many times, as if i'm overcompensating lol

The intrigue here is that the Browns can afford to have their QB sit and develop at least a year, they got Tyrod as their starter. They made the mistake of throwing Kizer into the fire last year on a team devoid of talent when he clearly wasn’t ready, and it was disastrous. I’d imagine they will be more patient this go round, especially after adding some pieces on offense.

I agree Baker is out here, I don’t think they are looking at Rosen seriously either, so I think you’re right, is Darnold or Allen. From a strictly value perspective I understand taking Allen, although I personally think he has BUST written all over him. Wyoming ran a very basic offense, and he still only put up mediocre numbers. He has a lot of learning to do as far as running a pro style offense and reading coverages. He has the physical tools, but so did Christian Hackenberg, who the Jets drafted and he’s been such a disaster he hasn’t even seen the field. Not saying the same will happen here, but looking the part doesn’t always translate into success.

I’ve said over and over I personally wouldn’t draft any of these QBs in the top 5, but I’d probably take Darnold over Allen, he just needs to be more careful w the ball.

Of the 4, I might be crazy but I think Baker will be the best of the 4. Dude just knows how to win. Sure, his size is an issue, but he makes plays and has that swag.

Darnold at even money is silly at this point, everything after pro day I've seen from most teams since yesterday basically say it's a lock. Unless they trade out but if they decide that's not an option I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland announce it soon

When I first wrote the article some months ago I was going to take Darnold at + money but I agree no value at even KJ. Not sure its worth just trusting what teams say?

He certainly didn’t hurt himself with his performance at his pro day, in the rain no less, which is a big deal since those teams at the tip Clev, Giants, Jets have inclement weather

I'm very sympathetic to your perspective Big Daddy. Why can't Baker be like Brees or Russell (short successful quarterbacks) or that Flutie guy (i'm too young)

Good point about Darnold but running a pro style offense has similarly led to disappointing results see Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez right? Lots of disappointments from pro-style USC. Totally agree Browns learn from their experience with Kizer and have a veteran to start now and can let a quarterback do the necessary learning

He certainly didn’t hurt himself with his performance at his pro day, in the rain no less, which is a big deal since those teams at the tip Clev, Giants, Jets have inclement weather

I thought Darnold did? Generally outperformed by Allen, unathletic, weak legs, didn't participate in throwing drills?

This is resubmitted article but it got buried under other more important sports stuff so editors made me hang onto it for a while. Initial pick was Darnold +125. Love having Darnold and Allen both at +

Original article:

NFL Upside Justifies Investment in ‚First QB Drafted‘ Prop

The NFL draft begins on 2018. This year’s edition could see more quarterbacks being taken early than last year’s. With the Cleveland Browns drafting first, they’ll likely determine which one gets drafted first.

Despite having worse statistics, USC’s Sam Darnold displays the upside that justifies an investment in him to be drafted first. Because of this upside, Darnold is an excellent underdog pick over UCLA’s Josh Rosen, who is favored because he is currently more NFL-ready.

Re-watching the USC-UCLA game yields insight into the differences between both quarterbacks. Rosen is arguably a better decision-maker. He is more comfortable staying inside the pocket and going through his progressions. Darnold is more dangerous with his feet, but also more likely to make mistakes. His mechanics aren’t as smooth and he’s more likely to bail out of a clean pocket. Rosen makes poor decisions as well, but Darnold makes more, partly because he gives himself more opportunity to do so by being so willing to leave the pocket. In terms of determining who is NFL-ready, the key statistical difference is that Rosen committed 13 turnovers, Sam Darnold committed 23. The difference in turnover vulnerability attests to Rosen’s superior mechanics and decision-making ability.

Besides turnovers, the two quarterbacks are similarly-sized and have similar statistics, keeping in mind that Rosen wasn’t able to achieve so many passing yards in 2017 due to injury. There are, however, four extra factors that speak for an underdog investment in Darnold.

For starters, Rosen has explicitly said that he does not want to play in Cleveland. But Darnold is willing.

For all of Rosen’s reliability as a passer, he has been more mistake-prone on the road. In 2017, he threw 8 picks on the road, compared to 2 at home. Half of an NFL team's games are on the road. Will Rosen be able to avoid turning the ball over too frequently in those eight games?

Another factor is experience. Teams aren’t looking to draft a player based on how he will perform in one season. They are looking for a long-term solution, one that the Browns are desperate for at quarterback because it is hard to win (the Browns went 0-16 in 2017) when your quarterback only completes 53% of his passes and turns the ball over 28 times. So Rosen is more polished and more likely to succeed than Darnold in 2018. But he has also had more opportunities to become polished because he has thrown 324 more collegiate passes than Darnold. Darnold is really young. He only played two seasons at USC.

The final factor is the „it“ factor. Teams are not simply looking for solid mechanics and decision-making because those things can be improved. Mechanics and decision-making aren’t inherent qualities like height or speed. Green Bay’s superstar Aaron Rodgers is a classic example of a quarterback who altered his mechanics, now holding his ball much lower in order to generate a smoother arm motion. Another legend Peyton Manning is famous for improving his decision-making in order to throw vastly fewer interceptions. While the Browns can assume that they can polish the young Darnold, they will already have a playmaker who, for instance against UCLA, displayed his ridiculous ability to make throws into tight windows while escaping the pocket. When he does leave the pocket, he is more likely to create a larger gain. This mobility is an important asset to a Cleveland quarterback because the Browns’ pass protection ranked in the bottom-ten last season. It also adds more excitement to a team which sorely lacks playmakers.

Rosen is more NFL-ready, sure, but Darnold possesses more upside. He’s a better long-term investment for the Browns (or any other team) and a very reasonable underdog investment for bettors.

NFL Pick: Sam Darnold +125

^Allen was such a longshot that I couldn't even seriously justify him. Seeing his poor record against good defenses was enough for me without having been able to tell what combine he would have and how things overall would develop.

I thought Darnold did? Generally outperformed by Allen, unathletic, weak legs, didn't participate in throwing drills?

Darnold didn’t throw at the combine but he did at his pro day today (actually now yesterday), and was solid.

If you got both at plus money you should make money, don’t see how one of them isn’t first qb taken

Current at my book
First QB Taken

I love Rosen! lol. Personally, I think he's the best QB

Allen+230
Darnold+115
Rosen+6500
Mayfield-280
Field+10500

Back