Finally!! A coach has emerged with a lick of sense and a set of balls!!!

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
And his name is Mike Gundy. Up 3 in the waning minutes. Does he play not to lose and try to foolishly "run clock" like a terrified ignoramus? Nope. Down the middle of the field (where NOBODY in CFB can cover anyone) and effectively ends the game. If he punted to Tech, he loses and he knew it. He's just one of few smart enough to realize it and act accordingly. Godspeed Mike Gundy good sir!

I've made a lot of money on Okie St. this year. Undefeated team who hasn't got much attention. Tough games coming up but all at home - nice call.

And his name is Mike Gundy. Up 3 in the waning minutes. Does he play not to lose and try to foolishly "run clock" like a terrified ignoramus? Nope. Down the middle of the field (where NOBODY in CFB can cover anyone) and effectively ends the game. If he punted to Tech, he loses and he knew it. He's just one of few smart enough to realize it and act accordingly. Godspeed Mike Gundy good sir!

Leach did this too. Except his QB threw 2 incomplete passes followed by a Interception that they then kicked the GW FG on. Goes both ways.

8+8+8 = tie game ;)

I get it though, because coaches never do that.

Yeh, I get it, but as you said it never happens. Plus, they were never going to win.

i shouldn't be pissed, I had two 4OT games go my way last week, so giving one back shouldn't be an issue

Leach did this too. Except his QB threw 2 incomplete passes followed by a Interception that they then kicked the GW FG on. Goes both ways.

True, it doesn't work every time. But coaches that play not to lose pretty much do lose every time.

Seen a few quotes on here about Leach and WSU and Stanford - and don't disagree. But I'd like to mention Shaw - got very lucky last night. 1st and goal from the 8 with around 3.30 minutes to go and WSU has all 3 timeouts. Runs 3 plays up the gut to get to 2 and then kicks FG. WSU has 1.52 and 1 TO left and has been marching up and down the field all night. Sure enough WSU gets 43 FG opp and misses (after being 5 for 5). Prime example of Shaw playing to lose. You need to try to score a TD there to put it over a FG and make WSU score a td to beat you. Of course I had the over 59 (lost by 1) and have Stanford U9 RSW (which I had written off but might have had chance for a tie if WSU had won). Just not a fan of Shaw at all and think ND has a good shot at them and maybe even Oregon - their Defense has definitely slipped this year. But he played to lose and should have done just that. Can handle the bad beat part but just hate see stupid coaching rewarded.

But it actually worked out in Leach's favor. If he'd bled the clock, he wouldn't have had time left after Stanford took the lead for the final time.

Some years ago Belichick was roasted for going for it on 4th down around his own 25 yard line. The attempt failed, and colts scored and won. But the colts had ample time to move 70 for the win because they were having their way with N E d. Had patriots made 1st down, they could have run out the clock and won.

Some years ago Belichick was roasted for going for it on 4th down around his own 25 yard line. The attempt failed, and colts scored and won. But the colts had ample time to move 70 for the win because they were having their way with N E d. Had patriots made 1st down, they could have run out the clock and won.

This is a famous example of a coach thinking outside the box and making the right call. He felt his chances of getting 2 yards (it was a 4th and 2) were much better than punting it to Manning, who was roasting NE's D all night and would only have needed to get into FG range to win. It was unquestionably the right call, and if I remember right, the play worked but the receiver dropped it. He got killed in the media for doing it, but it was the higher percentage play. The end result would have been the same either way, most likely.

You remember it better than I do,mr b. kn . We both agree that coach Bill did the right thing.

London not going for two was the worst I saw yesterdayy but wasn't following but a handful of games

The Giants scored on the Saints on two 4th down plays(lotta scoring al day lol)

Sean Payton also went for it on 4th on his own 29 I think too......If he doesn't get it, they don't win. Also, likely lose.

It is a slippery slope

This is a famous example of a coach thinking outside the box and making the right call. He felt his chances of getting 2 yards (it was a 4th and 2) were much better than punting it to Manning, who was roasting NE's D all night and would only have needed to get into FG range to win. It was unquestionably the right call, and if I remember right, the play worked but the receiver dropped it. He got killed in the media for doing it, but it was the higher percentage play. The end result would have been the same either way, most likely.
I think it was Kevin Faulk and he caught the ball and was inches short. If my memory is correct. Then Reggie Wayne scored the gm winning TD.

And I hated the play call from Oklahoma State. I am fine with a pass to pick up the first down but he threw a very low percentage pass, even though the guy was open.

And I hated the play call from Oklahoma State. I am fine with a pass to pick up the first down but he threw a very low percentage pass, even though the guy was open.

Ha! Yeah you would think it was a low percentage play, but it was a pass deep in the middle of the field in the Big 12, the part of the field where seemingly nobody can cover anyone. It was actually as high a percentage play as a bubble screen. Especially against Texas Tech.

What constitutes a low percentage pass? I saw your rant in the other thread and quite frankly was nodding my head through a lot of it.

That being said, these QB's nowadays can basically throw it wherever and never be incomplete so long as the receiver catches it when there's no defense. As Brass stated just above me, middle of the field in the Big XII is basically shootin fish in a barrel.

no doubt that was the right call given the situation. Too bad it didn't work.

Its just important to judge based on the play call and not the outcome. You want to praise Gundy and I 100% agree with you. But if it backfired, hed be crushed, and thats whats wrong about sports analysis. I love it, nothing is worse than playing not to lose. Great to see a guy with balls and im glad it worked out for him

Back