Final Four and Stuff

wiseplayer

Pretty much a regular
Did the NCAA learn a lesson from last nights miserable performance from tOSU? Putting a team in the playoffs based on actual results of winning a conference championship, as well as head to head, should trump any opinion they have? Penn State earned the right because of their "on the field" performance to play in the conference championship. Isn't this part of the reason we have the Final Four? We had people deciding rather to have it play out on the field?
One other thing that was glaring. Stanford and their coach literally applauded and supported Christian McCaffery's decision to not play in the Sun Bowl. Really? Shaw didn't allow McCaffrey to make the trip for their last game. Their excuse was he would be a distraction. Seems like both parties turned their backs on one another. This is a path Im not looking forward to for college football.

Last edited:
I have no problem with shaw not letting CM attend. I think a 6 team playoff with the 5 conf winners plus top Group of 5 team/ND assuming they meet certain qualifications would be best.

I'm in complete agreement with what Shaw did also. I just think.it's funny how they said they support him but, you ain't coming. The NCAA IS NOT adding teams. It's sticking to 4. I think they should never put a team in over their conference champion. PSU wins head up, wins the division and conference title and based on opinion, OSU gets in. It's borderline stupid if we think of the NFL trying this method.

Last edited:
Why would anyone expect McCaffrey to accompany the team? He's not part of it.

Here's my main complaint from last night: The PAC refuses to use instant replay, which is a problem when they're officiating a game involving two teams from other conferences. Unfortunately, the play that the officials refused to review was right before I was called to dinner and paused the game. I was stewing throughout dinner, thinking Clemson should have just walked off the field. Really, it's just outrageous that an officiating crew would deliberately make the wrong call.

No, the NCAA did not learn a lesson. Last night will be forgotten by time the first rankings come out next November. They will decide which teams they want in and create a narrative around it. TV ratings were poor again, so expect 4 big brand name teams next year

I think the NCAA needs to lean on the side of the conference champion than a team who didn't even win the division.

I'm in complete agreement with what Shaw did also. I just think.it's funny how they said they support him but, you ain't coming. The NCAA IS NOT adding teams. It's sticking to 4. I think they should never put a team in over their conference champion. PSU wins head up, wins the division and conference title and based on opinion, OSU gets in. It's borderline stupid if we think of the NFL trying this method.

He can support him and not bring him on the trip, they aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, not bringing him can be part of supporting him, as it saved him from the scrutiny and his team from the distraction.

The CFP will expand when they see from tv executives that they will make more money per school by expanding. Until then,they will stick to four. They won't expand to see the participating schools make less money. School presidents won't accept that.

Here's my main complaint from last night: The PAC refuses to use instant replay, which is a problem when they're officiating a game involving two teams from other conferences. Unfortunately, the play that the officials refused to review was right before I was called to dinner and paused the game. I was stewing throughout dinner, thinking Clemson should have just walked off the field. Really, it's just outrageous that an officiating crew would deliberately make the wrong call.

Pretty sure every call in college is reviewed in the booth. So while they didn't stop the game to review the call, that doesn't mean it wasn't reviewed...it probably just meant they didn't see anything in the booth that would have changed the call.

I think the NCAA needs to lean on the side of the conference champion than a team who didn't even win the division.

Right. So does everyone who's watched sports in their lives at all, outside of fans from the teams that get in and shouldn't.

For the folks that are members of this sports betting community, I don't see how any argument can be made against putting in Ohio State over Penn State. The goal is NOT to have knee jerk reactions like pollsters but to put the best 4 teams into the playoff. The Sagarin and ESPN Power ratings all have Ohio State as a much better team then Penn State. Ohio State was a 2 point favorite over Clemson. USC is a 7 point favorite over Penn State. There is no way Penn State should have been in the final 4. They would have been at least a 7 point underdog to Clemson.

While it will never happen, it is the oddsmakers, whose livelihood depends on them putting up accurate spreads, who should decide who is in the final 4. And there are plenty of great handicappers here like Clowncar and Tim who I would trust to pick the best 4 teams.

For the folks that are members of this sports betting community, I don't see how any argument can be made against putting in Ohio State over Penn State. The goal is NOT to have knee jerk reactions like pollsters but to put the best 4 teams into the playoff. The Sagarin and ESPN Power ratings all have Ohio State as a much better team then Penn State. Ohio State was a 2 point favorite over Clemson. USC is a 7 point favorite over Penn State. There is no way Penn State should have been in the final 4. They would have been at least a 7 point underdog to Clemson.

While it will never happen, it is the oddsmakers, whose livelihood depends on them putting up accurate spreads, who should decide who is in the final 4. And there are plenty of great handicappers here like Clowncar and Tim who I would trust to pick the best 4 teams.
Thanks pal
tell Jeff I said hello

Wrong. The goal is to crown a champion. They made it that way when they initiated the playoff.

Spreads have nothing to do with it at all, either. This point has been shot down by virtually everyone on here as we've discussed these playoffs for months. Spreads are not power ratings, and even power ratings are meaningless when trying to decide a champion. The spreads the oddsmakers set have way less to do with how they perceive the game to go and everything to do with how they perceive a game will be bet by the bettors.

Jeebus, even in your point you mention that tOSU was a 2 pt favorite last night...how wrong were they, amirite? That right there completely invalidates any point about spreads coming into play to pick the playoff teams.

Do you feel the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB should also adopt putting, what they perceive to be the "best" teams in their playoffs. GTFO with that BS.

If you feel this way, don't you just want to see them skip the games altogether and just pick their 4 best teams in the beginning of the season and have a round robin type of "playoff"? This way everyone can be healthy and have no excuses.

Macaffrey shouldn't travel....just like LF...once you gone, you gone

PSU shoulda been in

I lean the P5 and then the at large too at this point

Not to mention, you cite the Sagarin and ESPN power ratings as having tOSU as a "much better" team than PSU....yet they actually played a fucking game on the field and PSU won the game. So, clearly, those ratings mean absolutely nothing when it comes down to it. Sports are made to be played and won on the field, not on paper.

Clowncar didn't think tOSU deserved it either, nor does he agree that point spreads/power ratings have anything to do with picking teams for the playoff...so you may wanna change your stance since you'd trust him to pick the 4 teams. He's not an idiot, he realizes that games that were played should actually matter.

Wrong. The goal is to crown a champion. They made it that way when they initiated the playoff.

Spreads have nothing to do with it at all, either. Spreads are not power ratings, and even power ratings are meaningless when trying to decide a champion. The spreads the oddsmakers set have way less to do with how they perceive the game to go and everything to do with how they perceive a game will be bet by the bettors.

Do you feel the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB should also adopt putting, what they perceive to be the "best" teams in their playoffs. GTFO with that BS.

Totally disagree. The object is to have the best teams in the playoff--that should be regardless of records. And spreads have everything to do with it. Spreads represent the difference in the power ratings of teams.

I don't give a damn what the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB do. The NBA, NHL and MLB teams play all the other teams in their league and each team has a chance to earn their way into a playoff. College football does not have that format and power ratings are the only way to determine who the best teams are. How do you decide which 4 teams will make it. Should Western Michigan automatically be in the playoff because they have an undefeated season? People who wager are the experts in who the best four teams are. They put their money where their mouth is everyday. Penn State is an inferior team to Ohio State, and in retrospect, Ohio State is probably an inferior team to USC who certainly would have given Clemson a better game than Ohio State did.

Totally disagree. The object is to have the best teams in the playoff--that should be regardless of records. And spreads have everything to do with it. Spreads represent the difference in the power ratings of teams.

I don't give a damn what the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB do. The NBA, NHL and MLB teams play all the other teams in their league and each team has a chance to earn their way into a playoff. College football does not have that format and power ratings are the only way to determine who the best teams are. How do you decide which 4 teams will make it. Should Western Michigan automatically be in the playoff because they have an undefeated season? People who wager are the experts in who the best four teams are. They put their money where their mouth is everyday. Penn State is an inferior team to Ohio State, and in retrospect, Ohio State is probably an inferior team to USC who certainly would have given Clemson a better game than Ohio State did.

So you basically want to render all games meaningless and instead rely on what you decide is the best on paper? You can keep saying psu is inferior to tosu however they beat them and won the conference they both play in. So under your logic the only reason they play regular season games is to feed numbers into a power rating, not to actually decide who has a better season? It's comical you think opinion should be the overriding factor instead of you know results.

So you basically want to render all games meaningless and instead rely on what you decide is the best on paper? You can keep saying psu is inferior to tosu however they beat them and won the conference they both play in. So under your logic the only reason they play regular season games is to feed numbers into a power rating, not to actually decide who has a better season? It's comical you think opinion should be the overriding factor instead of you know results.

And why is the Big 10 the anointed conference to get a team into the final 4? If you want to go by results and not the best teams, then Western Michigan beat every single team on its schedule, including two big 10 teams. Under your logic, they should be in the final 4. Whats your rationale for leaving an undefeated team out of the Final 4?

Back