Fields and Vikings

rambler882

Head of the Justin Fields Fan Club
Reports coming out the Vikings wanted Fields and were in active talks with Giants to move up. Seemingly the future 1st was the deal breaker for them. Personally, I think that is a dumb move by Vikings who were "left stunned" when the Bears jumped ahead. The Vikings basically said 14th overall and more likely than not a 20+ pick is too much for a franchise QB.

If I'm a Vikings fan, I'd be pretty pissed right now.

Brings up an interesting debate. So the Saints took Ian Book 4th round right? I think he’s nothing, but he will likely makes the team because they need 3 the way they will play Taysom with Jameis starting.

Is this just a cheap way to get a QB on the roster? Is one hoping just to get a diamond outta dogshit? Kellen Mond sucks too. I realize it is so hard to get a QB in the league but each these seem like just huge huge reaches

Last I've seen is the Saints wanted to trade up in front of the Pats for Mac, be happy you didn't give up more than necessary for that!

I'd still rather Jameis for a couple three years than Mac + draft capital

Brings up an interesting debate. So the Saints took Ian Book 4th round right? I think he’s nothing, but he will likely makes the team because they need 3 the way they will play Taysom with Jameis starting.

Is this just a cheap way to get a QB on the roster? Is one hoping just to get a diamond outta dogshit? Kellen Mond sucks too. I realize it is so hard to get a QB in the league but each these seem like just huge huge reaches
Prob a bit of both

Saints have this years mvp tho at the position, so qb not a huge necessity

Appreciate the responses but I mean in general

Seems like alotta throwaway picks on shitty QBs

Appreciate the responses but I mean in general

Seems like alotta throwaway picks on shitty QBs
Reality in today's NFL is a coach probably only gets one QB to prove his worth or be let go and carry the failure tag with him, retread tag, whatever.

You have to swing and miss or just go down w/o swinging most of the time

I think Fields is in a lose-lose situation on top of already teetering on bust status (vs. the other drafted QBs). Nagy has shown no talent to coach up QBs and this kid has been playing in the best system in college and struggled vs. a couple of defenses with a pulse. Shanahan preferred a kid who threw 300 passes and Bill B showed no interest in trading for him. The fact the Bears traded for him says all you need to know.

Vikings would be foolish to not have done that trade for a franchise QB. Fortunately, Fields isn't one of them.

With that being said I think it would be good for the sport and awesome if he pans out for the franchise. I just would be surprised, that's all.

I think Fields is in a lose-lose situation on top of already teetering on bust status (vs. the other drafted QBs). Nagy has shown no talent to coach up QBs and this kid has been playing in the best system in college and struggled vs. a couple of defenses with a pulse. Shanahan preferred a kid who threw 300 passes and Bill B showed no interest in trading for him. The fact the Bears traded for him says all you need to know.

Vikings would be foolish to not have done that trade for a franchise QB. Fortunately, Fields isn't one of them.
Curious why Fields is so bad? Every analytics driven assessment shows Fields is elite. Completions after 1st read, passes over 20 yards, the list goes on. He had elite performance and graded out as one of the best QB prospects in the last 20 years. I get teams skipped over him but teams skipped over Mahomes, Rodgers, and many more.

Other than "eye ball", why do you think he is such a bust when all the data and analysis says otherwise?

Like all of that is wrong man

From an article on the ringer a few weeks ago

The offense is complex

While the tunnel vision narrative has stuck, further analysis casts doubt on the idea that Fields struggled with advancing through his reads. USA Today’s Doug Farrar detailed how Ohio State’s scheme prominently features advanced route progressions, including option patterns, which at times require the quarterback to hold on to the ball longer than usual. Furthermore, per The Draft Network’s Benjamin Solak, Fields threw beyond his first read 42 times, for a rate of 19.09 percent. That mark is higher than those of the other four QB prospects who are likely to go in the first round: Lawrence (16.99 percent), Wilson (14.20 percent), Jones (9.72 percent), and Lance (16.61 percent).

He actually played tougher defenses than the other guys

Day’s offensive scheme tasked Fields with the responsibility of managing complex reads in addition to facing elite competition. According to NBC Sports Edge’s Derrik Klassen, 75 percent of Fields’s career opponents rank in the top 20 in defensive SP+. That’s by far the highest average of any QB in this year’s class. That difficult schedule never hindered Fields, though—the Buckeyes finished second in offensive SP+ last season, up from fourth in 2019.

Like all of that is wrong man

From an article on the ringer a few weeks ago

The offense is complex

While the tunnel vision narrative has stuck, further analysis casts doubt on the idea that Fields struggled with advancing through his reads. USA Today’s Doug Farrar detailed how Ohio State’s scheme prominently features advanced route progressions, including option patterns, which at times require the quarterback to hold on to the ball longer than usual. Furthermore, per The Draft Network’s Benjamin Solak, Fields threw beyond his first read 42 times, for a rate of 19.09 percent. That mark is higher than those of the other four QB prospects who are likely to go in the first round: Lawrence (16.99 percent), Wilson (14.20 percent), Jones (9.72 percent), and Lance (16.61 percent).

He actually played tougher defenses than the other guys

Day’s offensive scheme tasked Fields with the responsibility of managing complex reads in addition to facing elite competition. According to NBC Sports Edge’s Derrik Klassen, 75 percent of Fields’s career opponents rank in the top 20 in defensive SP+. That’s by far the highest average of any QB in this year’s class. That difficult schedule never hindered Fields, though—the Buckeyes finished second in offensive SP+ last season, up from fourth in 2019.
Exactly

We’ll see guys.

Fields timeliness of decision making was questioned during the entire draft process. Every media pundit said he was the clear second best prospect but somehow every team chose other QBs over him. The system may be complex but it got Haskins drafted.

If he’s better than any of the 3 before him I would be absolutely shocked.

Back