Even Trade in a Keeper League?

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
I am NOT involved in this trade. Both teams are not in contention for this season. I'm one of four teams that is on a trade review board. The goal of the review board is to attempt to keep a competitive balance in the league and make sure that both teams have some legitimate reason for making their trades. I was able to get Miggy this year for Tulo & Delmon Young... We just allowed Justin Duscherer & Willy Tavaras to be traded for a 2nd round pick in 2010 (top team got players to help this year - team rebuilding got a decent pick for a future season).

League Basics: We're allowed to keep 8 players each season, plus players who graduate from our minor league teams/we trade for from another minor league team have an exception for three seasons + the year they get called up (to our major league team. For example Ryan Braun, Troy Tulowitzki, Alex Gordon, etc are free keepers through 2011, Jon Papelbon & Rich Hill is through 2010, and guys like Hanley Ramirez and Jon Lester are through 2009 seasons.

Team 1 Gets
Brian McCann
Aramis Ramirez
Francisco Cordero
Scott Olsen (free keeper through 2010)
Gerrit Cole (Minor Leaguer)
1st round major league pick in 2009

Team 2 Gets

Jorge Posada
Troy Glaus
Nick Swisher
Travis Buck (free keeper through 2011)
Jason Castro (Minor Leaguer)
Pedro Alvarez (Minor Leaguer)

Thoughts would be appreciated
:shake:

- Cole, Castro, Alvarez are free keepers the season the fantasy owner brings them up to their minor league team + three more seasons. A fantasy owner is not forced to bring up a player to their major league team unless that fantasy player is no longer eligible for the ROY award. Guys like Fukudome and Longoria would have been eligible to be kept on our minor league team all season. In that situation they'd be free keepers (have an exception) from 2009-2012. If they were brought up by their fantasy manager this season they're free keepers from 2008-2011.

- 1st round picks this past year included Lackey, Harang, Lincecum, AGonza...

Last edited:
Assuming this trade passes...

Team 1 would probably keep
Brian McCann
Carlos Pena
Robinson Cano
Jose Reyes
Aramis Ramirez
Curtis Granderson
Bobby Abreau
Felix Hernandez

Team 1 gets two keepers for future seasons in Aramis & McCann and a 1st round pick for 2009 at the expense of Jason Castro and Pedro Alvarez and the inability to keep Posada and maybe Aubrey Huff?

Team 1 also has Matt Wieters, Evan Longoria, Brian Wilson, Adam Jones as free keepers... and now Olson

Team 2 would probably keep
Prince Fielder
Adam Dunn
JD DRew
Edgar Renteria
Francisco Rodriguez
Kerry Wood
Ben Sheets
Roy Oswalt
-----------
Joe Blanton, Jorge Posada, Nick Swisher, Jorge Cantu are some other possibilities

The last 3 or 4+ of the 8 keepers are horrible... He's downgrading his 8 keepers and giving up a 1st round pick next season and Cole for Castro and Alvarez... The guys already traded his 3rd and 6th round next season and his first round for 2010 in other trades that have weakened his team.

Team 2 also has exceptions for Fukudome, Joba, Lester, Ian Kennedy, Albers, and now Buck...

i do not understand this trade at all ( but i don't know anything about the minor leaguers). but even if they are top prospects, i don't get what team 2 is thinking.

Agreed. I think Team 1 wins this trade by a wide margin. However, I don't know much about the minor leagues save for the very top prospects, so my knowledge of Cole, Castro, and Alvarez is very limited.

However, Posada and Glaus are on the downside of their careers, and Travis Buck strikes me as a career utility man. Down the road, I don't think Buck will hold any value.

I dont know anything about keeper leagues but yea, doesnt make sense unless team 2 is really high on some of those guys

Castro at his best is Jason Varitek I'd say. He probably grades out to a Mike Matheny w/o the defense... so eek

Pedro Alvarez is a future all star imo, something between a David Wright and a Mark Teixera.

Gerrit Cole could be a JJ Putz reliever or a #1/2 pitcher... or a Brien Taylor

I think if this trade involved CTG members I'd ban whomever was involved for grand larceny... even if it was a partner

I think if this trade involved CTG members I'd ban whomever was involved for grand larceny... even if it was a partner

Heh. Trade Review Board vetoed the trade. As you can imagine team 1 isn't too happy and I don't blame him after getting Ichiro for Weng. And how the Webb/Bruce trade blew up with Ankiel & McGowan being shit.

Heh. Trade Review Board vetoed the trade. As you can imagine team 1 isn't too happy and I don't blame him after getting Ichiro for Weng. And how the Webb/Bruce trade blew up with Ankiel & McGowan being shit.

lol... I'd be ticked too actually, no hints of collusion, each GM is different in what helps their team long run... why would 2 bottom dwellers get together to sabotage the integrity of the league... doesnt make sense...

Ichiro for Wang... if I had only known, lmao:hang:
lets not talk about Bruce / Webb though
icon12.gif

lol... I'd be ticked too actually, no hints of collusion, each GM is different in what helps their team long run... why would 2 bottom dwellers get together to sabotage the integrity of the league... doesnt make sense...

Ichiro for Wang... if I had only known, lmao:hang:
lets not talk about Bruce / Webb though
icon12.gif

I don't like the review board premise either... If teams want to make trades that aren't collusion, let them. Hell our most recent deal I found out was almost rejected. The Chris Davis & Tillman for FMart, Meloan, Darnell, & Beau Mills.

I don't like the review board premise either... If teams want to make trades that aren't collusion, let them. Hell our most recent deal I found out was almost rejected. The Chris Davis & Tillman for FMart, Meloan, Darnell, & Beau Mills.

I've had zero luck in leagues with commitees, the idea is right, but especially in a keeper league who are we to define a teams long term goals... a la our last trade...

I find it impossible to figure out whether trades should be vetoed in keeper leagues. I tihnk the one thing I would do is ask Team 2 why they did it...if the answer is that they think Alvarez is a future MVP, how can you really veto it?

If they say they are trying to win behind Jorge Posada, you can veto it.

Back