Euro 2016

guaranteeed

Pretty much a regular
quick notes on each group

A

France – obviously group favorites, they have won of the top keepers in the tournament, an extremely strong midfield led by Pogba and Matuidi and arguably the most young attacking talent in Europe up front.

Think they coast through this cupcake group, but I wonder if this team’s time is 2 or 4 years away, they remind me of Germany 2010 in a lot of ways. Not a ton of experience, is Pogba ready to grab the game and take it?

Biggest weakness is the back 4 mostly due to injuries, they are old at fullback and don’t have a lot of pace, could run in to issues against an attacking side.

Albania – not very good and the team you want to see if you want to watch a bus get parked. Only scored 7 goals in 7 qualifying games.

Key stat for them is their lack of attack, they were last on shots taken per qualified team in qualifying with only 8

They also relied heavily on crosses and set pieces with almost half their goals coming from headers. They are going to sit press defensively, try and create turnovers, and win 1-0

Romania – Very much like Albania, they do not attack, and they are not very good at it, they were 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] last in EQF in shots per match and qualified with 11 goals in 10 games coming out of what might have been the worst group in Euro qualifying history.

That being said they did their job there and only conceded twice in 10 games but their best CB Chiriches does have a tendency to make a mistake, he’s excellent on the ball and likes to show it off sometimes rather than going for the safe play.

To me they have an outside chance at grabbing 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and qualifying that way, will look to play them vs Albania depending on the line

Swiss – Better than they showed in 2014. Outside of losing twice to England they were very good in qualifying and showed a lot more than expected going forward.

Xhaka just made a big money move to Arsenal and this should be his big coming out tournament, in Rodriguez and Lichtsteiner they might have one of the best sets of attacking fullbacks in Europe, and if Shaqiri is allowed to roam he can create plenty of chances.

They do lack a good finisher up top and could be their downfall. They play fast and move the ball well, I expect they take 2[SUP]nd[/SUP].

B

England – favorites for the group, they dominated qualifying but this team will look very different than that one.

Biggest weakness is the center backs, Chris Smalling and Gary Cahill aren’t world class. They lack any real defensive midfielder beside Dier too, most likely he will be flanked by 2 of Wilshere/Henderson/Rooney who are all in the squad more for their passing than anything.

The strength though lies in the attacking. In Kane they have one of Europe’s most prolific strikers outside the big 2 (Lewe/Ibra) and he’s surrounded by plenty of options beside him or coming off the bench. This is a team that will go as far as they can score.

One thing to note in tournament play a big factor is how quickly teams can get familiar with each other. Germany have been so Bayern Munich based the last few tournaments, Spain up until now were built around the midfield trio from Barcelona. This England team is likely to start 5 players from spurs including the spine up the middle with Dier/Alli/Kane and two very attacking fullbacks in Rose/Walker. It could be a factor.

I expect they win the group but like France they will peak in the next few tournaments

Wales - They are much better than people think, they have proven premier league talent all over the place. But when push comes to shove, this is the Gareth Bale show

They play a defensive 5-2-2-1 mostly. They are going to sit back and defend and when they get the ball they are going to rely on Bale and to a lesser extent Ramsey to create. Basically if you have ever soon Portugal play with how they rely on Ronaldo, Wales do the same with Bale

If Bale gets shutdown they will go home early but the rest of the team is used to this level of competition so they wont be overawed, plus he can score in so many ways and he has a habit of really picking up his game for Wales, I think they surprise and get through the group, in mostly low scoring games

Russia – Best thing this team did was get rid of Capello and bring in Slutsky. They moved back to an attacking style and it suits their strengths better

The biggest issue is going to be the CB’s, they are old, and they are slow and the fullbacks like to attack which means they could ship goals, plus the injury to Dzagoev is really going to hurt their midfield play.

Dzyuba is going to cause issues for almost every defense, he’s huge and he can move, he’s not the most skilled with the ball but will be dangerous on balls in the box. I think they compete with Wales for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] spot in the group, and could be good shout for some overs

Slovakia – bit of a Jekyl and Hyde team, they are somewhat like Wales in that they give Hamsik a free role and build the team around him, which is why I am down on them as a whole because when he’s not ticking they really lack any cutting finish, and he’s not Gareth Bale

The one area they do excel in a bit is pace on the wings in midfield and fullback, especially on the right with Weiss and Pekarik, but outside of that their players don’t offer much and wont breakdown a good defense

Goals will be an issue, they are likely to start with Duris up top and he has 4 goals in 26 caps. This is another team that looks to sit back. I know some are high on them but I expect they struggle, don’t see them winning a game.

C

Germany – World Champions come in with some injury issues but still have so much talent all over the field, and the bench, and the players that didn’t make the cut, and just any random german…

They struggled a bit in qualifying but I wouldn’t read too much in to that, they have a history of that and then showing up for a tournament and ending up in a semi-final.

They do come in with a bit of a weakness though, Boateng and Hummels are carrying injuries and Rudiger is out of the tournament.

Losing Reus hurts but Draxler is a ready made replacement, he will likely play with Ozil and Muller behind the forward, either Gotze as a false 9 or going back to plan B they could put Mario Gomez up top and play around a big man. They do lack a great striker and if Muller isn’t scoring they could struggle for goals

Its hard to predict what Germany will do on any given day, which is their biggest strength, they have the deepest team and with all their talent they are also the most versatile, anything less than the final would be a disappointment for them, but I don’t think they make it

Northern Ireland – they won their qualifying group, conceding 1 goal or less in all of their games

And yet… this is too big a step up. Outside of being organized defensively they lack any type of game breaking talent

Their blueprint for success is to park the bus and take advantage of their set pieces, they scored 6 goals from headers in qualifying which was 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] behind Poland’s 7, so it is an area they are strong in. The problem is their group, Poland conceded 0, Germany only 2, Sweden 3.

I think they struggle, getting an extremely tough group wont help much either, it could be a donut in the points table

Poland

Top scorer in qualifying, arguably the best striker in Europe and in his prime. This team is built around him and they have a real set up for him to succeed.

They are going to do almost all their attacking down the right with Piszczek and Blas and with them providing service in to Lewandowski this team is a threat to score against anyone.

They can push forward too because Krychowiak is one of the best in the world as a DM breaking up play, he might even be more important for them this tournament than Lewandowski, if he has a good tournament they are going to force plenty of turnovers and be able to hit teams on the counter with pace, if he struggles they are going to allow a ton of chances.

They have a lot to prove after a disastrous hosting performance in 2012 and I think they are a dark horse here to not only get to the KO rounds but also perform there too. A strong evenly balanced squad who don’t have a real weakness.

Ukraine – They will be tough to beat, and are very familiar with Poland and Germany

Ukraine are built around two things, playing on the counter and a reliance on the wingers, their two best players by a huge margin are Yarmolenko and Alex Gruv favorite Konoplyanka.

The other 3 midfielders are going to sit back and defend in front of the back 4 to break up play, and the instant they get the ball look for a break to one of those two.

Their qualification could come down to game 3 vs Poland, I expect they play for a draw vs Germany

D

Croatia

Their biggest strength is that they are going to come in to this tournament with arguably two of the best four center mids in Europe.

This should allow them to run the game with Modric staying a bit deeper and playmaker while Rakitic moves forward, so much talent around those two as well with Brozovic likely closer to Modric, and Kovavcic and Perisic up closer to Mandzukic up top

Their big issue and potential downfall will be the back four, outside Srna it lacks a standout player and while the midfield in front of it is phenomenal it doesn’t really have a shield in it to sit in front of them

Think this is a sleeper semi-final possible team, especially if they can find goals from the striker

Czech Republic

They won their qualifying group despite big troubles at the back, they leaked goals compared to a lot of the better teams at this tournament and I think it’s their downfall.

I will be looking to fade them

They build around Rosicky and he just doesn’t have it anymore to lead a team, they are running up against the end of the last generation and the next one isn’t ready. I expect they really struggle in this group. Don’t think they score a lot either

Turkey

This team is similar to Croatia in that their strength lies in the midfield, Turkey is going to go as far as Turan and Calhanoglu will takae them.

Also like Croatia they aren’t very strong at the back, its expected that Topal slots in at CB and he plays club football as a DM. If they go up against a team who attacks well and controls the ball they will allow a ton of chances and in the box which will lead to goals, however if they control the game and let Turan attack and get Yilmaz in good scoring chances they will finish. Tricky team for me because of the group, I think they finish 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], but also I kind of think they match up well with Spain

Another thing to watch is their set pieces, Calhonuglu might be the best fk taker in the world

Spain

To me this version if Spain is arguably their worst in the last 12 years, but whether they perform as bad as they did at the WC in 2014 I don’t think so

I expect them to play to some unders, their defense is best in Europe and they have the best goalie in the world, plus Busquets is the best DM in the world shielding them. The issue is that going forward they have a ton of talent but that doesn’t necessarily lead to goals. It’s expected that Iniesta/Thiago play in CM with Silva and Nolito flanking Morata, I don’t think that front 3 puts much of a scare in to many teams. Morata is a great all around striker, but he’s not a prolific scorer.

If having the most possession won games they would win the tournament with no threat, but I really think they struggle to score, and I they are so rigid in their style of play I don’t think they would be willing to sit back in a game like for example Italy might and recognize what they are missing and defend.

I could see anything from a group stage exit to a semi-final appearance, but depending on the lines I see myself fading them a bit, also unders should be great.

E

Belgium

The most hyped team in 2014 that has kind of died down now but I am very high on them. They don’t have a weakness, think they are a perfect post hype sleeper

Courtois a top 5 goalie here. They have excellent defenders, 3 of the best performing box to box midfielders in Europe last year in Nainggolan/Dembele/Witsel and up front KDB and Hazard flanking Lukaku

They can play on the counter, they can own the ball, and they can score.

The one area they lack real talent is at fullback, unfortunately it causes Wilmots to push his two best CBs (Alderwield and Vertonghen) to RB and LB as they are his best fits there as well, which I think is a mistake as Vermaelan/Denayer are good but don’t match what the other two can bring.

I have big expectations for this team though, even if Hazard struggles like he did for Chelsea this team was built around KDB all throughout qualifying and he always performs. No real weaknesses

Italy

Some would say they have the best defense in the tournament, I personally put Spain ahead but the Italians are right there. The problem for this team is going to be the injuries.

No Marchisio, no Verratti, and No Montolivo. Coupled with a real lack of talent up front and this team could struggle. Candreva and Florenzi are going to need to have massive tournaments for Italy to get out of the group stages.

With the way they struggle to score I think they might have more of an issue in the group stages than if they make the KO rounds. If this team can get to a KO and play it’s game, slow and methodical they will be one of the hardest to knockout in the tournament, but in the group stages I think they could struggle and possibly might be an early exit.

Sweden

Not much to focus on besides Ibra, if he has a great group stage Sweden can go through, if he doesn’t score they are going to struggle.

He’s surrounded by a hard working midfield and will rely on Forsberg and Hiljemark the most to get the ball up to him

They lack speed almost everywhere but that shouldn’t hurt them in the group, they excel at set pieces because of Ibra and a few of those could be enough to get them through. 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in this group is so tough to call and I think they have a shot. Could be some goals in their games

Ireland

They are coming to France to defend as a group 11 and hope their physicality carries them through. They are stronger than most think in midfield with McCarthy/McClean/McGeady and Seamus Coleman attacking down the right from RB will help as well but I think they struggle to score. Plus they do best against bigger sides with their defensive play, so a tournament like this could be good for them.

They have moved on from Robbie Keane to starting Shane Long but if/when down a goal late he’s exactly the kind of striker you want to bring on to score

I do think they will be hard to break down, which would be a real problem for Italy, and are another possibility for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] here as an upset.

F

Portugal

Ronaldo will take them as far as they go, but he does have some young talent around him now which should help.

They lack a real striker but are solid in midfield and defense, I expect them to play to unders against good squads and once they get to the KO rounds, but CR7 loves a goal so they could try and really put up goals against Hungary. Like Italy they are a very tough KO team to take out, better in that kind of situation than a group one.

Austria

They are getting some dark horse love but I don’t see it. Alaba is one of the best players in the world and can play everywhere but outside of him I don’t see a ton of top level talent.

They are a solid squad who can get some results, but they are going to need huge performances from Janko especially to progress far and I think he struggles against better sides.

To me I would describe them best as functional

This group isn’t great so I could see them win it, but not get much further

Iceland

This team isn’t very talented, the best thing you can say about them is like Ireland and a few others they play well together and for each other

They are going to defend in two banks of four and hope to get the ball and counter enough, create enough chances to score. They will look to create FK situations as well for Sigurdsson.

This group sucks, lets be honest, so Iceland could have some value against the other teams simply because they know how to defend and play very much on the counter, but I don’t expect them to progress far.

Hungary

This is the worst or 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] worst team in the tournament, if I bet a game they are involved in it will be against them.

They had the worst GD of all qualifying teams and lack a single player in the top 5 european leagues.

They lack any real talent to score, and are going up against 3 teams who if they do anything well its defend, should be a long 3 games for Hungary

Props

Top Goal scorer

Kane +1400
Lukaku +2000
Bale +4000
Hazard +4000
KDB +4000

Team Goals in the tournament

Wales o2.5 -132
Croatia o4.5 -128
Turkey o3.5 +125
Spain u8.5 -130
Italy u5.5 -115
Belgium o6.5 -140
Hungary u2.5 -150
Poland o4.5 -117

Group Winner

Croatia +320
Belgium +110
Iceland +600

To finish bottom of group

Hungary +100
Italy +550
Czech +120
Albania -135

Spain not to reach Semi-Final - NO -120

June 11[SUP]th[/SUP]

Wales +189
Switzerland -115
England/Russia o2 -135

June 12[SUP]th[/SUP]

Poland -140
Ukraine +1 -115

June 13[SUP]th[/SUP]

Sweden/Ireland o2 -101
Belgium +160

June 14[SUP]th[/SUP]

Austria -135

Might add more those days that’s it for now

June 16

England -170
Poland +1 +102
Poland +605

June 17

Italy/Sweden o2 -102
Croatia -120
Turkey +1.5 -125

June 18

Belgium -135
Iceland +160
Austria +0.5 +115

Look at that Icelandic love. Nice.

I'll be with you on Belgium. With you on the English tomorrow as well. GL.

=)

i'm still pissed about losing Wales +0.75, what are your thoughts on England the rest of the way? I'm not impressed

im higher on them I think

they have only really allowed 2 half chances and they both went in, and they have bossed the ball and possession in both games

I think sterling gets sat which will help their offensive creativity, hope they go for 2 strikers going forward

8-9-3 -0.56

June 19
Switzerland +0.5 +110
Romania +130

June 20
England -130
Wales/Russia -2 -120

June 21
Germany/N. Ireland u2.5 +100
Ukraine/Poland o2 -130
Turkey +210

June 22
Belgium -120
Italy/ROI o2 -120

one thing to note when looking at these games is the 3rd place thing, it's very likely going to come down to GD

4 of the 6 3rd place teams are going to make it

so for example a team like Northern Ireland could possibly make it with a loss, but losing by 1, and then keeping their GD at 0 instead of the negative, is absolutely massive. So in a situation like that even if they go down the game wont open up, they likely wont push up, I think it only takes 3 points, and I think the difference will be around that 0 GD point. It's also why Slovakia, if they go down a goal to England, would need to push for a draw, because being at -1 GD they would fall behind the others

also the teams on the 21st/22nd are at a bit of an advantage because the 3rd place potential sides will know what they need to beat to get there, so I may add on those days

biggest example of the last part is group F

Iceland/Portugal for example

if they know that 3 points and 0 GD go through both could play for the draw vs Austria and Hungary respectively, whereas if its somehow at 4 both will have to open up and push

also these helped me

Y0HD59E.jpg

Interesting tables with each scenario thanks :cheers3: And yes the last day may be very interesting for that 3rd place spot with the GD.

Hope you are right with your Switzerland pick, that means we will have had a much better showing than 2 years ago vs France! About the other game today, no strong opinion but I just have a feeling Albania might get their first point or victory in a big competition and they will give everything to finish well in front of probably a lot of supporters again, but not playing it so good luck today!

QF's

Poland to advance -120
Wales -101
Croatia to advance -115

Ireland +1 +115
Germany/Slovakia o2 -120

Italy to advance +175

teed give me an educated guess on where ISL closes? +1 plus-money or can i possibly get a reasonably-juiced +1.5

teed give me an educated guess on where ISL closes? +1 plus-money or can i possibly get a reasonably-juiced +1.5

id wait, if any late money comes in I think its on France

right now Pinny has +1 +129 and +1.5 -145

I would guess by kickoff +1.5 goes closer to -130, and the plus 1 takes a similar change going up

Back