ESPN Handicappers Week 3 Picks

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
I got Phil Steele's picks this week so have included them. Steve is already 0-1. Purdue is the only one Steve and Bear have in common. As usual, both Steve and Bear seem to hate to bet the elite teams.

Chris Fallica (Last Season 32-34-2) Week 2 (4-2) Season (6-5) (* Bank Picks on Gameday—Season: 3-3)
Miami (OH) at Minnesota – Miami (OH) (+13.5)
Hawaii at Army West Point – Army West Point (-6)
Georgia Tech at Pittsburgh – Pittsburgh (+4.5)
Missouri at Purdue – Purdue (+7)
La.-Monroe at Texas A&M – La.-Monroe (+27)
Washington at Utah – Utah (+6.5)

Stanford Steve (Last Season 32-27-1) Week 2 (4-1) Season (7-2)
Florida St. at Syracuse – Syracuse (+3)
Old Dominion at Charlotte – Old Dominion (-1) Lose
Western Ky. at Louisville – Louisville (-21)
Western Ky. at Louisville – Over 57.5
Missouri at Purdue – Purdue (+7)
Southern California at Texas – Texas (-3)
Rutgers at Kansas--Rutgers +2x

Phil Steele Week 2 (3-3) Season (7-5)
Florida St. at Syracuse – Florida St. (-2.5)
LSU at Auburn – Auburn (-10)
Vanderbilt at Notre Dame – Notre Dame (-13.5)
Ohio St. vs TCU – Ohio St. (-12)
Alabama at Ole Miss – Alabama (-21)
Alabama at Ole Miss – Over (71)

My Picks (Last Season 50-34-2) Week 2 (4-3) (Season 8-6)
(Rest of my picks Fri night, but I already know I’m going with the Rams again. I’m no NFL capper but the -12 looks as off as the -4 did last week)
(One unit).
Boston College -5x Win
Ohio State -12x
(I don’t rate TCU as high as the books do. They couldn’t come close to covering against Oklahoma last year, even in the rematch and OSU is at least as good as OU was)
Fresno -2 (Seems strange to have to give points against a home Pac-12 team
K State -21 (KSU is due a breakout game, UTSA should have nothing left in the tank)
Utah +5x (Close, but I get best kicking game by far, plus Utah home at night)
Houston -1(Best coach, best player on D, best QB, most speed, but laying points on the road with another group of 5 team against a power 5 team)
Ball St +15 (Good spot for Ball, bad spot for Indiana)
UMass +4 (Spot play here, good one for Mass, bad one for FIU)
UAB +3x (Tulane has to prove to me they can cover on a road opener)
(Six units on Rams -12)

Last edited:
Adding picks by Colin Cowherd and Doug Gottlieb, Neither post a season record on their college picks and I think they are both slightly under 50%. I added Colin's Blazing Five NFL picks because he is good on the NFL and is consistently right around 60%, Including 60% in week 1.

Colin Cowherd
College Picks

LSU, Ohio State, Texas
Blazing Five
Falcons -
Colts +
Steelers -
Jags +
Seahawks +

Doug Gottlieb
Boise
LSU
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Ohio State

Adding picks by Colin Cowherd and Doug Gottlieb, Neither post a season record on their college picks and I think they are both slightly under 50%. I added Colin's Blazing Five NFL picks because he is good on the NFL and is consistently right around 60%, Including 60% in week 1.

Colin Cowherd
College Picks

LSU, Ohio State, Texas
Blazing Five
Falcons -
Colts +
Steelers -
Jags +
Seahawks +

Doug Gottlieb
Boise
LSU
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Ohio State

I thought Colin was 4-1 in NFL last week.. maybe i'm wrong....?

Giving points on the road with four teams. I hate to do it and refused to do it for years, but over the last few years I've passed on some good bets. Home team dogs used to be money in the bank, but lines have tightened and pickers have gotten smarter and it's not the proposition it used to be. Now it's about a 50/50 proposition, I'm leaning to Bama and Az State, but my brain won't let me lay points on six road teams. I'll see how things go on the early games first.

Boston College -5x Win
Ohio State -12x
(I don’t rate TCU as high as the books do. They couldn’t come close to covering against Oklahoma last year even in the rematch and OSU is at least as good as OU was)
K State -21 (KSU is due a breakout game, UTSA should have nothing left in the tank)
Houston -1(Best coach, best player on D, best QB, most speed, but laying points on the road with another group of 5 team against a power 5 team)
UAB +3x (Tulane has to prove to me they can cover on a road opener
(Six units on Rams -12)

Good luck to all. What could be better than a full day of college football!!!

Last edited:
I just got the video where Stanford Steve makes his #1 pick of the week after SVP makes his on Sports Center.

His pick:
Rutgers +2x

Giving points on the road with four teams. I hate to do it and refused to do it for years, but over the last few years I've passed on some good bets. Home team dogs used to be money in the bank, but lines have tightened and pickers have gotten smarter and it's not the proposition it used to be. Now it's about a 50/50 proposition, I'm leaning to Bama and Az State, but my brain won't let me lay points on six road teams. I'll see how things go on the early games first.

Boston College -5x Win
Ohio State -12x
(I don’t rate TCU as high as the books do. They couldn’t come close to covering against Oklahoma last year even in the rematch and OSU is at least as good as OU was)
UAB +3x (Tulane has to prove to me they can cover on a road opener
(Six units on Rams -12)

Good luck to all. What could be better than a full day of college football!!!

Nice hit on BC and have to say I mostly like the rest as well which is a good sign for me, if not for you.

Utah game will be a "black out" game fwiw and I was in SLC all week and can tell you it will be a rowdy crowd backing you for that one. If you believe the local experts, expect a lot of the RB in this one.

Back