ESPN Handicappers results--Week 5

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Stanford Steve and Colin's Blazing Five both hit 60%.

Dropping Phil Steele from the list. He's not worth the work. Max Meyers added the ML bets and ML parlay late Friday but I couldn't get through to CTG to add them to the thread,

The two RJ Bell picks I get are labeled his Best Bets. I don't have time to keep up with the rest of his picks so have asked RoMoSho to handle the rest of his weekly picks.

The BearWeek 5 (3-2) Season (10-13)
Bank Picks—Week 5 (3-0) Season (8-6-1)

Duke at Virginia Tech – Duke (+3) win
Penn St at Maryland – Maryland (+6.5) lose
UNLV at Wyoming – UNLV (+9.5) lose
BYU at Toledo – Toledo (+2.5) win
Iowa St at Baylor – Baylor (+3) win

Stanford Steve—Week 5 (3-2) Season (14-8-1), Best Bet (3-1-1
)
Akron at Massachusetts – Akron (-7) lose
Mississippi at Alabama – Alabama (-37) Best Bet lose
Louisiana Tech at Rice – Rice (+8) win
Texas Tech at Oklahoma – Oklahoma (-27) win
Stanford at Oregon St – Oregon St (+4) win

Phil Steele--Week 5 (0-0) Season (6-15)

Utah at USC – Utah (-4) lose
Appalachian St at North Carolina – North Carolina (-3) lose
Michigan at Wisconsin – Michigan (+3.5) lose
Michigan St at Northwestern – Northwestern (+9.5) lose
Utah St at San Diego St – San Diego St (+4) lose

Scott Van Pelt—Week 5 (4-5) Season (17-19)

Mississippi St at Auburn – Mississippi St (+10) lose
Buffalo at Miami OH – Miami OH (+2.5) win
Kansas St at Oklahoma St – Kansas St (+4) lose
N Illinois at Vanderbilt – N Illinois (+6.5) win
Stanford at Oregon St – Oregon St (+4) win
SMU at South Florida – South Florida (+7.5) lose
UNLV at Wyoming – UNLV (+9.5) lose
Iowa St at Baylor – Baylor (+3) win
Ohio St at Nebraska – Nebraska (+17) lose

Colin Cowherd Marquee 3--Week 5 (2-1) Season (6-8-1)
Virginia +12x lose
Northwestern +24x win
Washington -10 win

Blazing Five—Week 4 (3-2) Season (14-5-1)

Tennessee at Atlanta – Tennessee (+3.5) win
Cleveland at Baltimore – Baltimore (-7) lose
Oakland at Indianapolis – Oakland (+6.5) win
Seattle at Arizona – Arizona (+5.5) lose
Dallas at New Orleans – New Orleans (+2.5) win

Max Meyers—Week 5 (4-2) Season (17-10) Parlays (1-0)

Maryland +6.5 lose
Arizona State +5 win
Nebraska +17.5 lose
Oregon State +4.5 win
Washington -365 ML win
Oklahoma State -177 ML win
Washington and Oklahoma State ML parlay, $100 to win $97.15 win

RJ Bell—Week 4 (1-1) Season (6-1-1)

Oakland at Indianapolis – Indianapolis (-6.5) lose
Tampa Bay at LA Rams – Tampa Bay (+10) win

My Picks—Week 5 (3-2) Season (16-9) (+20.2 units)
Multi-Unit bets (3-1), Max Bets (1-0) Parlays (1-0)

(one unit)
(Two early picks for Week 5)
Cal -3x lose
Kansas State +5x lose
Washington -9x win
Washington -10 win
Washington ML (-360) (720 risk) win

Last edited:
That Washington game turned out to be more luck than good handicapping, but I'll take it.

I was wrong on that game and USC is better than I thought. They had more juice than Washington at the end and failed on a 4th and goal inside the five midway through the fourth, then got intercepted at the goal line with a minute or two left in the game. They played just as hard as Washington and hit just as hard.

Everybody is calling for Helton's head. He out coaches Whittingham and embarrasses Utah with a third string QB, then goes to Washington and plays them even except for a couple of plays, again with a third stringer.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been discussed and written about on this board, but I am blown away at how good Fink is for a 3rd string QB. Texas is a borderline top 10 team now and we don't even have a 3rd string QB. That individual is at RB right now.

First let me say I appreciate the effort to put all these guys picks in one thread but I think the picks for the Bear and Steve aren’t correct. I listen to their podcast every week and they did mention these games but their final plays are the ones that go into their article on ESPN in the Chalk section. I’m pretty sure they say that in the podcast. It’s fooled me before too.

The Bear played: Duke, Western Kentucky, East Carolina, Toledo and Baylor. All dogs

Steve played: Oklahoma first half, Rice plus the points and money line, Alabama, Oregon State and he also took Air Force but that was put in as his best bet on the Daily Wager show which is on ESPN weeknights at 6:00. He even talked that game during the bad beats section of SVP’s sportcenter.

They may do different picks on different shows. but there is no doubt about Steve's best pick. He makes it on live TV when SVP makes his weekly picks on Thursday night.

First let me say I appreciate the effort to put all these guys picks in one thread but I think the picks for the Bear and Steve aren’t correct. I listen to their podcast every week and they did mention these games but their final plays are the ones that go into their article on ESPN in the Chalk section. I’m pretty sure they say that in the podcast. It’s fooled me before too.

Can you C&P that Chalk writeup going forward?

That Washington game turned out to be more luck than good handicapping, but I'll take it.

I was wrong on that game and USC is better than I thought. They had more juice than Washington at the end and failed on a 4th and goal inside the five midway through the fourth, then got intercepted at the goal line with a minute or two left in the game. They played just as hard as Washington and hit just as hard.

Everybody is calling for Helton's head. He out coaches Whittingham and embarrasses Utah with a third string QB, then goes to Washington and plays them even except for a couple of plays, again with a third stringer.

he also brought Harrell aboard, which might be his best contribution to the program of all when all is said and done

He's going to be talking horses too, apparently. Really looking forward to it.

I think I have only met him once ... he does usually meet up with Defaz when he comes to town I think but something always gets in my way to meet up, either out of town, family, work, other engagement, or collapse. Nice guy. Sharp guy.

Downloading this weeks podcast to listen to while at the gym. Noticed the guest today is @lindetrain. Is that our guy from yesteryear?
Yeah that's him ... He's big-time out there. He was at Caesers but moved to Circa maybe a month ago... He's a great listen whenever on any of those shoes. Very well spoken and knows his stuff obviously.. plus funny as can be.

Back