ESPN Handicappers' Picks--Week 9

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
The BearWeek 9 (0-0) Season (17-20-1)
Bank Picks—Week 8 (0-3) Season (13-10-1)
(8-4 the last three weeks)
California at Utah – California (+21.5)
Texas Tech at Kansas – Texas Tech (-4)
Texas at TCU – TCU (+1)
UCF at Temple – Temple (+10.5)
Arkansas at Alabama – Under (56)

Stanford Steve— Week 9 (0-0) Season (18-17-1), Best Bet (3-4-1
)
Utah St at Air Force – Over (58)
Maryland at Minnesota – Over (56.5)
Notre Dame at Michigan – Notre Dame (+1)
South Carolina at Tennessee – South Carolina (-4)
Texas at TCU – TCU (+1)
Boston College at Clemson – Over (58)

Scott Van Pelt— Week 9 (0-0) Season (31-30)

Arizona St at UCLA – UCLA (+3.5)
Ohio at Ball St – Ohio (+2.5)
FL Atlantic at Old Dominion – Old Dominion (+14)
Texas Tech at Kansas – Kansas (+4)
Oklahoma at Kansas St – Kansas St (+23.5)
Penn St at Michigan St – Michigan St (+6)
Texas at TCU – TCU (+1)
Wisconsin at Ohio St – Wisconsin (+14.5)

Colin Cowherd Marquee 3-- Week 9 (0-0) Season (8-12-1)

Wisconsin +14
LSU -10x
Michigan -1

Blazing Five—Week 8 (0-0) Season (22-12-1)
NY Giants at Detroit – NY Giants (+6.5)
Oakland at Houston – Houston (-7)
NY Jets at Jacksonville – NY Jets (+6.5)
Carolina at San Francisco – Carolina (+6)
Denver at Indianapolis – Indianapolis (-5)

Max Meyer— Week 9 (0-0) Season (23-13) Parlays (1-0)

Penn State at Michigan State: Michigan State +6
USC at Colorado: Colorado +13.5

RJ BellBest Bet of the Week— Week 8 (0-0)Season (9-4-1)

My Picks— Week 9 (0-0) Season (22-18) (+13.8 units)
Multi-Unit bets (3-2), Max Bets (1-0) Parlays (1-3)

Last edited:
Here's a link to their podcast in case anyone wants to listen and post a summary. It's over an hour long and I don't have the time

Toilet Bowl Tease

I listened to the first 10 minutes or so and they spent most of the time making fun of the UMass and UConn games and saying they were going to bet both games and call it The Toilet Bowl Teaser

Last edited:
Their podcast really seems to have gotten worse as the year has gone on. Used to be one of my favorites.
Whoever said a week or 2 ago that ESPN probably told them to tuneup
it down and not give away much was probably right.

It was god awful this week. All filler very little substance. Last 20ish minutes was that clown windhorst talking nba!! Oh I was annoyed.

TCU seems popular. If anyone watched the Texas-KU game I know why. Plus TCU absolutely destroyed KU and you know Texas nearly lost to them.

Still think I would prefer Texas though. One time when the supposed sharp side seems kinda obvious to play TCU in this spot.

Last edited:
To Tex defense, they did just lose to their biggest rival. Could see KU from a mile away. Was the easiest play on the board last week. So, using TCU/KU as a barometer is a little unfair to the horns.

Butttttt, Tex D is a mess and we know how Patterson feels about the horns.

I think I just talked myself into an over play.

Can't run far enough away from Texas / TCU. Not a lot of good vibes right now in Austin (de-commits, portal activity, starting WR didn't show for practice this week). Two back-to-back crap showings against OU and Kansas. All in all, just not trending up at this point. I trust Ehlinger to overcome a lot but he's hurt (ribs) and can only do so much. There's issues all over with the team - from the defense, an o-line that can't handle simple stunts and crosses, all the way down to kick and punt returns (latter is last in the nation, actually with negative yards on the season). But on the other sideline, TCU isn't scaring anyone.

Going to just sit and watch and see what happens. Absolutely nothing is going to surprise me with the outcome of this game.

I've been leaning Texas since the day the lines came out, but you guys are scaring me. Seems to me the fact Texas held on to win in a week when they were sure to be flat was a positive, but now I'm thinking too much.

That usually means I should pass,

RJ Bell:

Picks on Adam Carolla's podcast:

• Green Bay at Kansas City – Kansas City (+4)
  • NY Giants at Detroit – NY Giants (+7)

Dream Preview podcast "Best Bet":

Denver at Indianapolis – Indianapolis (-5.5)

SVP:

• Arizona St at UCLA – UCLA (+3.5)
  • Ohio at Ball St – Ohio (+2.5)
  • FL Atlantic at Old Dominion – Old Dominion (+14)
  • Texas Tech at Kansas – Kansas (+4)
  • Oklahoma at Kansas St – Kansas St (+23.5)
  • Penn St at Michigan St – Michigan St (+6)
  • Texas at TCU – TCU (+1)
  • Wisconsin at Ohio St – Wisconsin (+14.5)

Colin Cowherd’s Blazin’ 5:
  • NY Giants (+6.5) at Detroit
  • Denver at Indianapolis (-4.5)
  • NY Jets (+6.5) at Jacksonville
  • Carolina (+6) at San Francisco
  • Oakland at Houston (-7)

Almost losing to Kansas at home should wake a bunch of those players the fuck up I would think, the suck slapping them right in the face. But if they are just fat and happy to be on the team and don't care about playing well, then almost losing or actually losing to Kansas won't matter. We'll get our answer Saturday. I'm sure many think they already know the answer. I tend to think we see different teams than the week prior more often than not, so I would expect Texas' best this week. They might've brought it vs OU, which wasn't good, but maybe OU is just that much better. Last week they nearly brought their worst, predictable as booksbestfriend says and probably excusable in the big picture...so long as it is the exception. I thought I saw somewhere that Texas secondary was getting somebody back this week, or maybe a couple somebodies?

Colin Cowherd’s Blazin’ 5:
  • NY Giants (+6.5) at Detroit
  • Denver at Indianapolis (-4.5)
  • NY Jets (+6.5) at Jacksonville
  • Carolina (+6) at San Francisco
  • Oakland at Houston (-7)

Heard some of this in the car, I think he said NYG and NYJ would win SU too.

So Bear, Stanford Steve and SVP all like TCU in their official picks? Yikes. In a game I don't have a strong feeling in, I might want to throw something small on Texas just to fade the perceived obvious of those that are supposed to know more...kinda like last week with everyone liking Ok St vs Baylor. Although I'm not sure if all 3 ESPN pickers had Bears like they do Frogs here.

So Bear, Stanford Steve and SVP all like TCU in their official picks? Yikes. In a game I don't have a strong feeling in, I might want to throw something small on Texas just to fade the perceived obvious of those that are supposed to know more...kinda like last week with everyone liking Ok St vs Baylor. Although I'm not sure if all 3 ESPN pickers had Bears like they do Frogs here.
They do not know more, lol. You know much more.

A fade may be in order.

Having access to data on the internet while posting on a forum can make people sound smarter than they are and I would say I fit that definition. My strength if I have one is I remember bits of things, but I need to draw on historic and statiscal resources to frame those things into a coherent thought for public discussion. Those guys should know more, it is their job. I wish it was my job - would be great!

I don't know what it would do recordwise, but if I ever saw everyone on one side, no matter how sharp or smart, I would go the other way, it's kind of just my nature. Year and years ago, late 1990s, my friend and I used to buy all those newsletter sheets...Gold Sheet, Powersweep, Red Sheet, Winning Points, Pointwise, Dr Bob, what else was there, some CKsomething or other. We'd chart all their plays and early on when all the sheets agreed, we would bet those plays. Guess what happened? Yup, we started fading the sheets because consensus didn't mean wins. All sheets agreeing went from a play to a fade. But I don't know how that actually did track record wise. In the long run probably split both ways like alot of things do.

These guys all liked Temple vs Maryland too and I took Maryland. I'm just me. Everyone else gotta be you.

Almost losing to Kansas at home should wake a bunch of those players the fuck up I would think, the suck slapping them right in the face. But if they are just fat and happy to be on the team and don't care about playing well, then almost losing or actually losing to Kansas won't matter. We'll get our answer Saturday. I'm sure many think they already know the answer. I tend to think we see different teams than the week prior more often than not, so I would expect Texas' best this week. They might've brought it vs OU, which wasn't good, but maybe OU is just that much better. Last week they nearly brought their worst, predictable as booksbestfriend says and probably excusable in the big picture...so long as it is the exception. I thought I saw somewhere that Texas secondary was getting somebody back this week, or maybe a couple somebodies?

CB Jalen Green is expected back. But 2 safeties (Foster and Overshown) are game time decisions. The latter 2 played vs. Kansas but were <100%. So the news is 50/50-ish.

TCU seems popular. If anyone watched the Texas-KU game I know why. Plus TCU absolutely destroyed KU and you know Texas nearly lost to them.

Still think I would prefer Texas though. One time when the supposed sharp side seems kinda obvious to play TCU in this spot.

Lot of ppl I know just think it one those “trappy” type lines (something i don’t really agree with in principle). They all love tcu but there no chance I would play them.

Forget who I was listening to or talking with who made what I thought was a excellent point about this game. Obviously line implies it gonna be close, if that accurate there no way I wanna be holding a ticket against ehlinger in a tight game late, that kid a absolute gamer.

To Tex defense, they did just lose to their biggest rival. Could see KU from a mile away. Was the easiest play on the board last week. So, using TCU/KU as a barometer is a little unfair to the horns.

Butttttt, Tex D is a mess and we know how Patterson feels about the horns.

I think I just talked myself into an over play.

That makes the most sense to me. Why it dropping so much? Weather concerns?

Tcu def has that feel about them, you guys are basically only place I talk w ppl not all over frogs., I’ve tried to temper several guys i talk w love for tcu here but they not hearing me. Lol. Not even as if I love Texas I just don’t see much of anything to like bout tcu and as I said there no way I wanna be holding a tcu ticket and game up for grabs late cause I absolutely believe ehlinger would beat them in that situation. I think tcu has to pretty much roll them to win and what about tcu would make anyone confident in that,?

Every thing about Texas/TCU above, plus or minus is true and I agree with all of them. I could ponder all day, but I'm taking Texas,
Texas -1
Temple +11x
Wash State +14
Utah State +3x

Have a lot of leans and I like to bet the biggest games of the weekend so I'm interested in all those big games in the Big 10 and LSU/Auburn, but it appears every one of them is going to be played in heavy rain, very heavy in a couple, plus some wind in a couple so they are a pass for me right now. Lean to Memphis, Minnesota, aTm, Stanford.

See a ton of games that look like sure unders, but I don't bet unders so I'm evaluating a two-team over parlay. Looking at Tex/TCU, AF/Utah State, Clem/BC, maybe Minn/Maryland.

Good luck to all

Last edited:
Just put me on ignore next time I go doubting some popular pick that appears in this thread.

Back