ESPN Handicapper's Picks--Week 8

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Stanford Steve and Bear are both appearing now throughout the week on various ESPN shows, radio and TV both, and making picks. They used to make all their picks on the podcast and that's what I've been listing. The record they show each week has always counted only picks they make on the podcast,

Steve said he had a different count two weeks ago than the graphic shown on SVP and explained he was counting his Coastal Carolina pick made on Daily Wager. SVP said, "but you didn't release that one on your podcast," he said, "yes, but it was documented."

Steve had only one pick on this week's podcast, but has made at least two others on other ESPN shows, so it's confusing trying to keep up with what they are counting as official picks. I'll keep the record based on the podcast picks and list in oithers I see or hear about separately.

The Bear—Week 8 (0-0) Season (9-9)
Ga_Sou at C_Carolina – Ga_Sou (+5.5)
Penn_St at Indiana – Indiana (+6)
Rutgers at Michigan_St – Rutgers (+13)
(Daily Wager: Best Bet on Wednesday-- Rutgers (+13)
Bear’s Bank Picks—Week 8 (0-0) Season (12-6)

Stanford Steve— Week 8 (0-0) Season (13-9) Best Bet (4-2)

MTSU at Rice – Rice (-3.5)
(Daily Wager: Best Bet on Wednesday Caro/NC State over 61)
Best Bet on Thursday Arkansas St +14)

Bill Trocci— Week 8 (0-0) Season (16-13)
Ohio State -26
Alabama -21
Notre Dame -10.5
Oklahoma State -3.5
Minnesota +3.5

Phil Steele-- Week 8 (0-0) Season (9-15)
NC State+15.5 vs North Carolina
West Virginia-3 vs Texas Tech
Texas-9 vs Baylor
Western Kentucky-14 vs Chattanooga
(NFL pick)
LA Chargers-7.5

Scott Van Pelt— Week 8 (0-0) Season (15-13)
Indiana +6
Wake Forest +9
Texas State +28.5
Louisville -5
Virginia +12.5
Pitt +10
Pro
Arizona +3.5

Joey and Jesse Virtual Locks
Joey
(22-5 last year) Week 8 (0-0) Season (6-2)

Jesse
(16-11 last year) Week 8 (0-0) Season (5-3)

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five—7 (0-0) Season (13-16)

Green Bay -3.5
Steelers +2
Saints -7.5
Seahawks -3.5
Rams -6

My Picks— Week 8 (0-0) Season (17-12)
Minnesota +3x
Hawaii +4x
Ark State +14
Rutgers +13x
Cincinnati +2x
Ohio State -26
Lean to Missouri, Baylor, Iowa State, lean to Oklahoma, Kansas State,

Last edited:
Think I restarted the Steve and bear podcast 3-4 times last night, I would wake up and it be on a show from week or 2 ago then I would restart from last part I remembered! Lol. Still not sure I ever heard the ending but they were def on some plays we already been talking bout in the dog thread this week.

Im surprised only bear on ga southern, coulda swore they both liked them on podcast, I love that one myself although dunno why he didn’t get himself a better line? There been 6s and 6.5s around all week! after cashing bunch of dog wins with coastal think it a good time to jump ship and be against them (there already plenty of post bout that game in dog thread). Actually like all bears plays although I doubt I’ll be on the Hoosiers. Don’t think I’ll be able to resist Rutgers, sparty laying that number? Not the last version of this team I’ve seen! Rutgers got the right coach for them back in place so I’ll happily trust he has them ready with all them points in my back pocket we may not even need.

Added Trocci's picks.

Also, a lot of rumors surfacing that a couple of Minnesota O-linemen may be out with covid. but Minnesota is not listing anyone out on any reports I've seen

Added Trocci's picks.

Also, a lot of rumors surfacing that a couple of Minnesota O-linemen may be out with covid. but Minnesota is not listing anyone out on any reports I've seen

im trying my best to not get real involved with b10 games this week. So hard to know what teams will be sharp, sloppy, prepared or not? I recall the 1st games for lot of teams was ripe for some big upsets so it def makes sense to look at some dogs imo, just don’t want to get real carried away.

Rutgers def gonna make my card just cause no clue why sparty worthy of laying that kind of number against what I think be a much improved team.

Hoosiers are incredibly tempting “s—k” write up tells it better than I would!

I def lean Illinios but I dunno if I’m gonna make the trip over to the book to bet them tonight or not? The fact they upset wiscy last year kinda worries me but man 20 seems like a huge number for a Illini team with a really good oline, a qb who has some potential and I think will improve his 2nd year, and wiscy breaking in a new qb. I might have to go play this one, maybe I’ll find few I havnt locked in yet for 2marro I’m convinced I wanna grab now so it worth the trip! Lol

I actually like all of Cowherds Blazing 5 picks this week:

Green Bay
Steelers
Saints (My Survivor Pick)
Seahawks
Rams

Those are all teams the public will be betting on for sure I would think especially GB that will be in bunch of parlays and teasers

Those are all teams the public will be betting on for sure I would think especially GB that will be in bunch of parlays and teasers

he said everything changing in nfl this year, more points and favs. Seems to me he has been taking more favs most the year tho cause every week I feel like he has mentioned how he “normally likes dogs” and he ain’t been fairing all that well. Neither would I trying to pick 5 nfl a week this year so not hating. Lol

no clue why sparty worthy of laying that kind of number against what I think be a much improved team.
I see that one the same way. New coach at Mich State--who hasn't even proved he is head coach material--so no advantage over Rutgers since neither team had spring practice. Schiano has proved he can be a good head coach. Only problem is I have no idea how much talent Rutgers has, but it looks to me like it is comparable to Mich St

I see that one the same way. New coach at Mich State--who hasn't even proved he is head coach material--so no advantage over Rutgers since neither team had spring practice. Schiano has proved he can be a good head coach. Only problem is I have no idea how much talent Rutgers has, but it looks to me like it is comparable to Mich St

I think they upgrade at qb which was holding them back bad last year. I don’t see a huge talent gap cause sure don’t look to me like sparty loaded with 4-5 stars or anything.

Added SVP and the numbers on Cowherd's blazing five

Added Cincinnati and Ohio State. Ohio State covered every conference game last year, and even though the lines were huge, covered them all by halftime. I hate laying big points, especially in the opening game, but I think Ohio State is on a mission this year and will run it up as big as they can every week.

That Texas/Baylor line is now up to 10, 10x in a couple of places. I like Baylor, but I still don't know how many guys they have at 100%. I know the chaos continues at Texas. Today the Longhorn band announced they will no longer play The Eyes of Texas. Good thing I'm not the president of Texas. I'd clean house.

We've seen political lunacy of the highest order this year--and no one is more insane than political morons--but this Eyes of Texas furor is as insane as anything we've seen. I wonder how many Texas players are dialed in for this game

I believe the Bear said on the First Team today when pressed by McElroy about a favorite game, he said UNC was one of two he said. I can't remember the other.

Added Phil Steele's picks

Don't care for any of them, but His NC State pick interested me because he must think the backup can put points on the board. I don't even know who the backup is or if he can play, but if he can I really like over on that total, Especially now that it's bet down from 64x to 60.

Anyone know how the backup is? 2dabank, you're the ACC go-to guy and I noticed you talked about effect of the guy being out had on your thinking, Can he run the offense well enough to at least score a few times?

Last edited:
Some of the picks on Daily Wager today:

Kazarian--Northwestern -11.5, Rams -6 Best Bet,
Stanford Steve--Rice -3.5 Best Bet
Guy with beard--BYU under Best Bet (said it was because of bad weather at game time, but it doesn't show bad weather in the forecast I saw)
Bear--North Carolina -15 Best Bet

Guy with beard--BYU under Best Bet (said it was because of bad weather at game time, but it doesn't show bad weather in the forecast I saw)

Guy with beard gives under a best bet based on weather, but Provo Utah looks fine until after midnight when some rain rolls in. Game starts at 8:15 local.

Guy with beard gives under a best bet based on weather, but Provo Utah looks fine until after midnight when some rain rolls in. Game starts at 8:15 local.
I think he said it would be windy.

NIGHT​

12.svg

36°Lo
RealFeel® 19°
10/24
Mostly cloudy and windy; a late-night shower in spots
WindN 21 mph
Wind Gusts30 mph
Probability of Precipitation51%
Probability of Thunderstorms20%
Precipitation0.04 in
Rain0.04 in
Hours of Precipitation0.5
Hours of Rain0.5
Cloud Cover

That could be. I didn't see much wind until the next day, different weather apps show it different. You have a good description there.

Joey Galloway:
Ohio State-27 vs Nebraska
Memphis-13.5 vs Temple

Jesse Palmer:
Virginia Tech-10 vs Wake Forest
Iowa State+3 vs Oklahoma State

Jesse unofficially said he would lay the 46 with Clemson this week, but it isn’t a Virtual Lock.

Added Phil Steele's picks

Don't care for any of them, but His NC State pick interested me because he must think the backup can put points on the board. I don't even know who the backup is or if he can play, but if he can I really like over on that total, Especially now that it's bet down from 64x to 60.

Anyone know how the backup is? 2dabank, you're the ACC go-to guy and I noticed you talked about effect of the guy being out had on your thinking, Can he run the offense well enough to at least score a few times?

Hockman? He isn't regarded very highly. I would expect NCSt to try and run a ton, like they did in the WF game. NCSt probably assumes they will have success running on UNC, VT did. Not like they are the same teams with the same personnel, but NCSt will believe in whatever gameplan they install. Hockman I don't think can be counted on to make plays with the arm the way Leary (surprisingly) had been doing this year. But if they work a gameplan where they can succeed without him, it might not matter as much as some think. Evidentially Phil is one of those people.

Edit - Hockman started and played the entire opener vs WF. Then started at VT, was ineffective (as was the entire O) and Leary came in late and then has started since then. Hockman played in relief last week. So it's nothing to do with experience, he is seen as a downgrade though.

Back